Ineedmore
Years ago

I need more Netball

So I went to the netball on Saturday instead of the basketball on the Friday.

Took three kids.
Didn't pay anything for the carpark and only had to walk 25m to the front door.
Outside the stadium there were two netball rings manned by "shooting coaches' and any girl(or boy) could step up and have a few shots a get a pointer or two.
Also before I entered there was Kevin the ANZ netball mascot (the ATM with legs).
The kids could a photo with Kevin or just give him a high five.
Walked in, as soon as my tickets were scanned we were all given two blow up "clappers' to smash together during the game.
Sat down and the announcer starting getting the crowd into it by seeing which section (x3) could cheer the loudest.
There was a glossy double page flyer on every second seat that included a bio on two of the players. (I gather you collect them as the season progresses)
On with the game.
At quarter time they called up two young girls for a shooting competetion on court.
Winner got $100 voucher, runner up got a free netball.
At half time they called out four ticket numbers by random and they won a sizeable prize pack.
Game on, finished.
Walked 60 seconds to my car, got in and drove home.

Didn't see any dunks and wasn't sitting with a 4000 strong crowd but don't feel I missed out. (However, I thought I overheard someone say there wasn't a bar at the venue, ETSA Park)

Would I have preferred to drop around $120-$140 to watch the Sixers play and explain to my kids why the home crowd is booing their own team?
Nope.

Topic #25130 | Report this topic

discussio  
Years ago

they are all things the 36ers / lightning could do and even more.

i 100% support crowd involvement and support.

waqlking 60 secs or 10 min to your car is no big deal - if that makes you go to something - fair enough.

but the mascot,freebies, shooting coach, break activities, crowd participation are things basketball should be doing.

IMO i find netball a very restrictive sport - basketball is freer flowing and more can score.

how about trying a college style band for a week or two ?

BBQ out the front prior, get some celebs at games - think of what the kids and families like

Reply #310718 | Report this post

discussio  
Years ago

one thing 36ers cant compete with is the spandex mini skirts :-P

they could try mankinis ?

Reply #310719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been playing district basketball for over 10 years. I filled in for half a season in a mixed netball team and to my surprise it is not a bad sport to play at all.

Sure the contact rule sucks especially in mixed netball but on average the ball movement down the court is pretty quick and I would think on average faster than basketball.

Reply #310760 | Report this post

baby eagle  
Years ago

Played it at high school level and i can say how boring compared to basketball,not being able to dribble and take players on.Totally not for me,plus one day i would love to play at the world champs imagine doing that with netball you get to play against great sporting nations such as Zimbabwe or new Zealand-what a laugh!

Reply #310918 | Report this post

Did anyone see the Lauren Jackson interview on Adam Hills new show. She was asked about Lisa Leslie and the hair extension waving incident. To cut a longish story short she said she had no know idea what a hair extension was at the time. She then went on to say incredulously "why would anybody wear hair extensions to play basketball. Its a sport. Maybe it might happen in netball" Not sure how she meant it but the other guests nearly fell off the couch. Was bloody funny.

Reply #310922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess cricket is like netball and that if any of you want to represent your country in cricket you would say "No thanks - there is no real world champ in that sport!!!"

Reply #310928 | Report this post

Innedmore  
Years ago

That is bloody funny about Jackson. Would have loved to seen the faces of the other presenters.

Apparently the centre for the Adelaide Thunderbirds played college bball in the States.

Man, if you think this sport is non contact you are out of your mind.

Comparitively speaking watching the netball "centres' (ie No. 5, you know - Adam Ballinger's position!) bang for position, was a total eye opener. I had front row seats and it's no different from centres in basketball when it comes to banging early for best position on the block - and the umpires basically let it go.

Man, I miss a good/competetive Sixers team.....

Reply #310964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find a centre in netball is more like a point guard in basketball.

And in fact it's their import Goal Shooter that played basketball in the US.

Reply #310972 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

i actually coordinate the activities out the front of the netball for each home game this year. I have been involved for 3 years. All the guys out the front in anz gear are volunteers who work for the bank. We have a club of the week program and encourage the kids to have a go. The bank pays for all the give aways and even donates money for a club of the week program. I would be prepared to do something at the sixers like this if i could gt

Reply #311015 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds pretty good to me.
You're very kind.

Reply #311019 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

I was trying to finish the post on my phone on the way home on the bus but it wasnt working.

Its amazing what you can do with a couple of ideas and some cash to back it up.

I would be prepared to organise something if i could get a small sponsor for some clappers or other giveaway type bits and pieces.

Reply #311041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's the problem need sponsors

Reply #311044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

auslot
call the club, I am sure they would welcome any ideas and support
1300SIXERS

Reply #311054 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754