Kent Brockman
Years ago

Madgen ineligible for Rookie of the Year

This is just crazy

Kings Fume

Mitch must win it if Madgen is not elligible.

Topic #25155 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I have to say, this is a load of sh*t from the NBL.

Madgen had never played a minute (AFAIK) of an NBL game up until this season and should be able to win the rookie of the year award.

Bad move and decision by the NBL.

Reply #311203 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

What an idiot Harmison is being!

Reply #311205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

...the NBL informed the Kings yesterday he is ineligible because he was a development player with Adelaide in the 2005-06 season. According to the NBL, a rookie is classified as a non-restricted player registered for the first time in the NBL.
This sort of rule would have prevented Oden, Griffin, etc from having been eligible for NBA ROTY after injury seasons.

Harmison says he can't change the rule mid-season.

Not really a fan of this. Give him ROTY and the Kings should, regardless of what the NBL award, give Madgen his bonus! Or ask D Ryan to pay it...

Reply #311209 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

thats BS that he cant change the rule mid season, im pretty certain if he wanted to he could. that truly is not fair.

Reply #311212 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Based on this logic Madgen must therefore be the stand out leader for the Category for MIP

Reply #311214 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

What a load of horseshit! Yeah, much better to give the award to Nevill, a guy who has abandoned the league part way through the season.

How exactly has Madgen's sitting on the bench for an entire season half a decade ago, never setting foot on court during a game, precluded him from being ROTY this season? Horseshit.

And good point Big Ads.

Reply #311217 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Very good point: Madgen must now be favourite for Most Improve Player!

Reply #311218 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

More rubbish decisions from the NBL

Reply #311223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in all fairness, as good as madgen is, how can they be asked to make rule changes mid season and still look credible?
looking at harmisons words it sounds like he will change the rule at the end of the season and doesn't like it much either.
imagine if the no charge zone rule was brought in next week instead!
how about two weeks from now we move the 3 point line back to where it was?
you can't change rules mid season it looks amateur and disorganised.
shame for madgen but rule changes have to happen some time and by learning as we go but mid season is never the time to change rules.
for that matter past players that would of fallen into the same category would suddenly look eligible.

Reply #311225 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Clearly the NBL has different rules because Julian Khazzouh came second in rookie of the year in 2007 but played a game as a development player in 2005.

If Madgen is not considered it is a very stupid decision by City Hall.

Ingles wins NBL Rookie Honour
Basketball Australia
Tuesday February 20, 2007

NBL Philips ChampionshipSouth Dragons young star Joe Ingles has capped off a stunning Philips Championship National Basketball League (NBL) debut season by taking out the Rookie of the Year award with a unanimous vote.

Ingles, who helped the Dragons to the Finals in just their first season, polled the maximum 98 votes to finish clearly ahead of West Sydney's Julian Khazzouh (70 votes) and Drew Williamson of Townsville (22).

Reply #311226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Two words for the NBL

JIVE TURKEYS

Reply #311229 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

@Michael old league and old rules i suggest.

Reply #311230 | Report this post

Lee  
Years ago

I just emailed Chuck Harmison regarding this nonsense. I took a leaf out of Anons book and told him he was acting like a Jive Turkey by not altering the rule. I suggest going to the Basketball Australia website, getting his email address and letting him know how the fans feel. I'll post my email reply if I get one.

Reply #311234 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

This all adds weight to my new calling in life - finding sports administrators who will make the right call and then defend it, as opposed to making the call that is easiest to defend.

'We cant pick Madgen because the rules say so' OR 'Ben Madgen was a runaway winner and an obvious choice so we corrected an obvious anomaly in the rules.'

Doesn't seem incredibly difficult to do but I see time and time again, sports administrators hiding behind archaic and indefensible rules to defend their own decisions.

'We wont be announcing the junior rep team to the players becasue some parents might have questions for the coaches, players can read about the shattering of their dreams on the website on Wednesday' OR 'Coaches will be available to provide feedback to unsuccessful players but please bear in mind that many aspects of the selection process are subjective.'

Reply #311239 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Also, Luke Nevill is an interesting ROTY candidate.

Nevill came to the NBL after playing a full season of NBA D-League following graduating from college and therefore came as a ready-made pro IMO. He was 24 years old when he joined Melbourne in the NBL and only just recently turned 25 years old...yet he remains able to win rookie of the year? Not to mention the fact he has also now left the league for Europe...

Something is seriously wrong with how the NBL determines what a "rookie" is.

Reply #311240 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I recall a Sixer of yesteryear (Matt Scalzi perhaps?) played several seasons as bench fodder for us then moved to another team and miraculously was eligible for ROY and finished 2nd. Anyone else remember that?

Reply #311241 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This was posted on OZHoops:

The new definition:

Quote:
A Rookie player is classified as a non restricted player who is registered for the first time in the NBL.

The old definition:

Quote:
A Rookie player is classified as
a. A player who has not received court-time in any NBL game; or
b. A player who has received court-time in no more than seven (7) NBL games.
Note: A player loses his Rookie status in his third season if he has received court-time in any number of games in his two previous NBL seasons.

Reply #311242 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

The biggest sporting code in Australa (the AFL) changed their rule regarding interchange players coming off during the season, so Im sure the NBL could also.

Reply #311244 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

The new definition:

Quote:
A Rookie player is classified as a non restricted player who is registered for the first time in the NBL.

I very much look forward to Andrew Bogut winning rookie of the year when he retires from the NBA and plays his final few years in the NBL.

Under the new criteria Bogut is still eligible.

Reply #311251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so according to the new definition, pat mills could come back from the NBA and, because it is his first time registered in the NBL, would be eligible for rookie of the year.

Reply #311252 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Patty Mills is also another one who can still win NBL rookie of the year.

He has never been registered as an NBL player either.

Reply #311253 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I can't wait til Bogut suits up for the Melbourne City Stags in 2023 and wins rookie of the year as a 40 yr old.

Reply #311254 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure how it applies to this ruling, but there might be some allowance for players having played in a professional league as existed for points ratings (10 points for imports or Europe, three points for college).

Would be cool to have an U20 or U21 award actually since ROTY candidates could be anything from kids to AIS graduates to someone returning after four years of college.

Reply #311256 | Report this post

Lee  
Years ago

Just got an email reply from Bob Turner and a couple of the Kings staff. I have a feeling the "Jive Turkey" email will be doing the rounds. Here is hoping common sense prevails.

Reply #311258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In an extraordinarily long line of amateurish, stupid things that the NBL has done (and funny how Harmison is generally in the near vicinity of most of them), this just about takes the cake.
No wonder people are turning away from our game and seeking out other sports, what a joke!
Take a bow NBL, a good news story turned into an absolute debacle.

Reply #311261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post the reply

Reply #311262 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

important wording is "restricted player". once you have been in the NBA or played pro anywhere you are restricted. I dont believe that Neville was ever elligible.

Reply #311266 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

are you the same guys who slammed the NBL when they allowed concessions/exceptions to Tigers under the points cap rule a couple of years back? Just wondering.....

Reply #311269 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

Dead set morons running that NBL office!

I'm not a Madgen fanboi but excluding him is ridiculous when a Nevill is still elligible.

I guess he is absolute shoe-in for most improved award now.

Reply #311275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A restricted player is an import, that's all.

Reply #311276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how come suiting up for the 36ers didn't affect his college eligibility?

Reply #311288 | Report this post

Lee  
Years ago

I got an email reply from Chuck Harmison, he seems like he has a sense of humour...

Hey Lee, I guess I'll have to be a Jive Turkey...I gottta uphold the rules. Can't go changing them mid stream.
You have a good weekend too
Cheers
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone

On 10/03/2011, at 2:35 PM, "" <> wrote:

Gday Chuck

Make a change that would allow Ben Madgen to be eligible for 2011 NBL Rookie of the Year. If you don't, you would just be acting like a Jive Turkey.

Many Thanks, have a great weekend.

Lee James

Reply #311301 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't get on court. I think he was offered the opportunity in a blow-out game but declined so he wouldn't get the per-game payment.

Reply #311302 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Not really a fan of this. Give him ROTY and the Kings should, regardless of what the NBL award, give Madgen his bonus! Or ask D Ryan to pay it...

Totally agree Isaac but please explain the D Ryan remark.

Reply #311304 | Report this post

Nerf Herder  
Years ago

Ok, so Madge was a DP for the Sixers in 05-06, but Jules was considered for ROY contention in 2007 even though he played a game as a DP in 2005, which means that this new BOGUS rule came in after 2007, so surely Madge being a DP pre-this stupid rule shouldn't apply to him?

That's GOT to be good enough for the NBL to be able to back out "gracefully" from this idiotic ruling?

Reply #311316 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, Ryan was the starting SG on (probably safe to assume) a bigger contract than Madgen. Played pretty woefully for the Kings (worst plusminus in the league, and in a shorter time than a few others at that end of the spectrum), then bailed (or was pushed) while Madgen's minutes increased.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe Ryan should be paying the bonus amount to the Kings as an apology for his play, the Kings could then pay it to Madgen as thanks for his output as an 11th man and 'rightful ROTY' bonus, and then Madgen could pay it on to Ryan as thanks for getting out of his way!

Reply #311320 | Report this post

Lee  
Years ago

Got another reply from Chuck Harmison. I sent him a link to this thread so he could read what are some really valid points.
Chuck really must have a good sense of humour, his response was- "How can people be so unkind?"
Anyone want to pass the hat around so the fans can pay Ben Madgen his bonus? I'll "chuck" in for him.

Reply #311353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754