The Special 1
Years ago

congrats to the sixers fans

I am a massive sixers fan & I just want to say I went to the wollongong v adelaide game as I now live in NSW & I was impressed to see the amount of fans that showed up including (Maher :)) considering the game doesn't mean anything to us except pride. Well our pride was shot down BIG time.
I have no idea why Marty insists on having Bruce on the team, he had more turnovers than points it was a joke. Ok I know the team didnt perform well, but again there was no defense.
Marty did his best & he showed alot of passion which was great to see, he is a great coach but there MUST be changes next season. We again were beaten on the boards that must be a hint to look for a centre for next season.
We are missing Darren big time, I hope he will be up to it next season

Topic #25168 | Report this topic

Jonno  
Years ago

The more i think about it, the more i agree that we need large changes to our roster, i dont think its all Clarkes fault, even though some would argue he recruited/selected the team, i think we need to change our entire starting 5 except for Ballinger, and he needs to be moved to PF.

Given all but Ballinger, Johnson and Creek are free agents we should have around 70-80% of our salary/points cap available, and would like to see most of it spent recruiting new starters.

I would keep guys like Johnson, Creek, Hill as back ups and consider Herbert, Carter, Bruce, Ng, Holmes, Dowdell as 8th-10th men depending on who else we can get, team needs and points/salary, but would definatly make them the last players signed so we can spend the bulk of our salary/points upgrading our starting 5.

I orignally was of the thought we could keep around 6 of our current players (even leaving Hill and/or Carter(or Bruce as starters) and just add say Schenscher and 2 new imports and we would be ok, but recent form suggests we need a extra starting level aussie or 2 if we are to be a playoff team.

I hope Schenscher is ready to come home and the 36ers pay what he wants, and i hope Clarke and Radford can use their Tassie/AIS connection and land Gibson (dreaming i know), and 2 better imports, as much short of that i dont think we will be in the playoffs next year.

I hope we can pull off some good recruiting and end up with

Schenscher/Johnson
Ballinger/Creek
IMPORT/Hill
IMPORT/Herbert or top young Aussie
Gibson/Carter or Bruce

Given one reason Clarke would have been bought in was to recruit top young(ish) Aussies with his AIS and Boomers connections i hope he manages to pull off a recruiting coup like a Gibson. Stephen Weigh is another id love to see looked at and signed if possible, id go with 1 import if we could bring him, Gibson and Schenscher (or something as close as possible to that).

Reply #311474 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The problem is that other than Adelaide being his home town, why would Schenscher leave the Crocs when they are a playoff team to come to Adelaide who look likely wooden spooner's 2 seasons in a row? Either we pay him what he asks for or forget it.

But I do agree, getting the 7'1 Schenscher or another strong, TALL centre or forward should be a priority for the club for next season. DJ is our tallest player by some 6cm but he isn't yet ready to be the teams starting centre. He needs someone like Schenscher to learn from. The team isn't benefiting from having an inexperienced backup centre and an out of position forward playing the 5 spot.

Guards be damned, we need height (and the scoring/defensive/rebounding skills to go with it) in this team.

Reply #311475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The special 1 ... Bruce had 1 turnover and 5 points! Get a clue

Reply #311479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is garbage. Stuff the role players they need to put Schenscher alongside Balls and then fill the rest of the roster out after.

Reply #311481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty has worked hard on recruiting a young team. Guys like Carter, creek and Johnson can turn into the good Aussie players that everyone seems to want. I agree with others that we need to get 1 solid point guard import, with a line up of something like:

Dj/Harris
Balls/Holmes
Hill/Creek
Herbert/Ng
Import(Ervin)/Carter

If the starting 5 all play around 30 mins and you have good impact players like Harris, Ng and Creek off the bench I think this team could make finals next season.

Reply #311485 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If the guards were good scorers, you could get away with height. The roster as is lacks in scoring and rebounding. What I don't get about Clarke is that he is supposed to be a good coach. This is evident by his appointment as assistant to the Boomers program and the club not having an issue with his coaching. However the team has a fair number of players with several years NBL experience (Ballinger, Hill, Holmes, Ng, Nathan Herbert, Carter). Why is he not capable of getting better results from them?

Sorry, I asm still not convinced about this coach. I would sooner keep the team and change the coach.

Reply #311488 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Bruce is over rated. He turned the ball over more times than i care to remember & if you were there you would have seen it. When i say turned the ball over i include stupid missed shots, & stupid passes which lead to turnovers.

As in the big man department, I know what you all are going to say but I dont care i am going to say it any way but it would be awesome to have the hight if Sam Harris.
I do really hope he will be ready to go next season cause with his hight we would be able to get more than 5 boards a game (slight exaggeration) but you know what i mean

Reply #311489 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

is there a chance of getting madgen back to SA

Reply #311490 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

The Special 1, Have we not allready gone over this Bruce thing you have with him. Anon is right, you do not have a clue and you really should stop your pathetic snipes at him. Like I said before post your credtionals on basketball for all of us to see otherwise stop posting crap again. Anon number 2, is that you again special one?

Reply #311492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should we stop bagging Bruce he is very ordinary at best and tries to force things way to much needs to go. He wouldn't even get a run on any other team yet he plays for the Sixers enough said.

Reply #311499 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I don't think the people bagging Bruce have watched his game closely enough.

He has a very keen ability to read the movement of defenses and look 'one step ahead' for passing lanes etc. There has been multiple times this season where he's really pushed some transition offense for us, which suits a team of young guys.

Part of the problem is he's just another guard on a team that's already guard heavy, and one that struggles on offense in general - thanks to players like Ballinger (and previously, Howard) who rely on people getting the ball to them, or Holmes who is not an offensive player, etc.

I think you'd see Bruce's natural game emerge if he had better options to pass to and people who are more effective off the ball.

Reply #311500 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bobby 100% agree.

A transition team with a 2 or 3 man curling for threes with Bruce finding them is something I have been hoping to see. Unfortunately we do not have the players to do that in this squad at the moment.

I also agree with throwing the cheque book at Schenscher. You could build something good with a core of Bruce, Balls and Luke. Add a slashing import, and a good spot up shooter at the 2 and 3 spots, then fill the bench with young talent like Creek, DJ and Herbert plus one of Ng or Hill.

Madgen would be good as well. Doubt that will happen though.

Reply #311501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% disagree he is SHIT!! Don't care how u look at it stats don't lie.

Reply #311505 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Thank you ano ( the one that said he is shit) I agree why is it that no other team will pick him up ??????????????????????????????
and for ';' you are the one suffering from NFI. Bruce is very much over rated & will continue to post crap like this until he leaves

Reply #311506 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce stats, focus on the turn overs & PPG. He is rubbish this is why no on else in the NBL signs him up

SUMMARY
T EAM G MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST TO
36ers 11 178 64 13-38 8-24 14-17 7 12 19 28 24 1 3 19
AVERAGE
36ers 11 16.2 5.8 34.2% 33.3% 82.4% 0.6 1.1 1.7 2.5 2.2 0.1 0.3 1.7

Season: 2010-2011 (Australia)

DETAILS
DATE TEAM AGAINST TEAM RESULT MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST TO
12/31/2010 36ers Hawks 98-83 12 2 0-2 0-1 2-2 0 2 2 0 2 0 0 0
1/2/2011 36ers Tigers 66-87 17 6 1-3 1-5 1-2 3 1 4 2 1 0 0 3
1/8/2011 36ers Breakers 85-90 18 14 2-4 1-2 7-7 0 2 2 4 4 1 0 6
1/16/2011 36ers Blaze 90-83 18 10 3-4 1-4 1-2 1 3 4 4 1 0 0 1
1/20/2011 36ers Breakers 77-91 8 2 1-3 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1
1/23/2011 36ers Wildcats 77-76 6 0 0-4 0-2 0-0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0
2/5/2011 36ers Sydney K. 90-99 22 15 3-6 3-4 0-0 1 1 2 5 3 0 0 1
2/18/2011 36ers Tigers 83-86 25 6 1-3 1-3 1-2 0 1 1 5 3 0 1 2
2/20/2011 36ers Wildcats 62-82 14 0 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 2 5 0 0 3
3/4/2011 36ers Taipans 70-75 14 4 1-1 0-0 2-2 1 0 1 3 1 0 1 1
3/12/2011 36ers Hawks 60-87 24 5 1-7 1-3 0-0 0 0 0 1 2 0 1 1

Reply #311507 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Schenscher is HOT PROPERTY!! I think 3 NBL teams been chasing him for weeks!!

Reply #311510 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

The Schensch would be very hot property on all NBL teams. I think Melbourne will have a good crack even Sydney, but lets hope he comes back home to Adelaide were we have the best supporters in the league as one Wollongong supporter told me on Saturday.

The Wollongong supporters rate the Sixers as a team even tho we got thumped be them, that was what one Wollongong supporter told me at Saturdays game. At that stage I have the utmost respect for the Hawks supporters

Reply #311511 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Does anybody really think that Schenscher will leave the Crocs?

From all reports he came to them looking for a roster spot and they backed him 100%.

They are right in the hunt for the title this season, so why would he consider leaving especially for a 6ers team going no where at the minute?

Reply #311552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to stats The Special One is a moron.

Reply #311554 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

You take American Import PG , Eddie Shannon
and I'll take Aaron Bruce.

( It might be that the Adelaide 36ers signed Jeff Dowdell for two (2) seasons , at the start of last season)

Reply #311556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754