WTF
Years ago

Willie Farley

What about Farley as an Aussie Marty? Surely you need a scorer?

Topic #25184 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Is he an Aussie?

Reply #311665 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

yeah lets get him, he was awesome during the high stakes hoops games back a few months ago and was heaps of fun to watch to had the crowd really pumped, definetly a home town favourite in Adelaide.

Reply #311706 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

he wouldnt be anyworse than we had this season, and is a crowd favourite so id support Willie Farley as an import for next year! Even see if he would play out this season and next year and spend the off season training with the 36ers guys and even play some aba, would mean there wouldnt be as many 'gelling' issues.

Reply #311709 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

What about LeBron James as a Development Player Marty?

Is Farley even in Australia? Got permanent residency? Applied for citizenship? Expecting a response any time soon? Played in a top level league anywhere professionally since his 12-game stint in Argentina in 2008-9 when he got cut? What were his stats?

Farley's best days are well behind him and 2002 was a long time ago. Move on people.

Reply #311711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Willie may be past his time but he is still better than the imports we have had this season and in previous seasons so I can't get over it. Plus he will put bums on seats and be a go to scorer. Iv been waiting for about 8 years for the Sixers to pick a decent import until they do farleys name will keep popping up because he is better than the imports we've had to put up with over the years.

Reply #311716 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

8 years? Farley was last here in 2007, and was a shadow of his 2002-self then.

Reply #311720 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That 06/07 season record was 11-22.

Reply #311724 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Xy at least he had a shadow buddy. You are a first class hater!

Reply #311725 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Willie will always be a legend. But like me, he should never play in the NBL again.
Actually, I never played in the NBL...but I haven't given up hope. Next year could be my year, I hope Marty still can't recognise talent...

Reply #311732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he may have been a shadow of himself but still better than the hacks we got and continue to get.

Reply #311733 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The so called 'hacks' have actually come in with pretty good reputations, stats and have initialled played well.

I ask the question - Are the players hacks or is it the current system they are playing in giving them no confidence?

Reply #311747 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I am no hater, I will continue to worship at the feet of Farley in the same way that I do Green, Pearce, Mee, Brooks, Catt, Davis, Maher and all my other heroes across the history of the franchise.

Does not mean I can't recognise the patently obvious, that Farley is past it. You didn't answer any of my questions above. What has Farley done since 2007 to suggest that he has recaptured his glory days in the prime of his mid-20s?

That 2006-7 record was with a much deeper more experienced roster than we have now, and still managed only 0.333 record. Farley was more than half of the problem. I recall because I watched every single painful fadeaway jumpshot three pointer he took (from recollection, shooting at about 27% - where is NBL stats when you need it?). How short is your memory?

Reply #311750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point maybe its the system but good players should be able to adjust.

Reply #311751 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Agreed - good players should be able to quickly adjust but why can no one on the current roster and 4 imports used this season been able to do it to date?

You cannot keep on throwing blame at the players IMO

Reply #311757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The so called 'hacks' have actually come in with pretty good reputations, stats and have initialled played well.

FYI, Winder was playing in basketball hotbed Qatar, DeVries was playing in Spain's second tier league, Howard had just been released by his team in Israel after only three games putting up near identical numbers to what he did with the 36ers and Eddie Shannon lasted just two games in Greece where he had twice as many turnovers as points.

Reply #311758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

btw I don't think Willie Farley even played pro-basketball this season. As far as I could ascertain the last basketball he played was here last offseason at HSH and his last proper pro stint was in Argentina in 08/09 when he played well but was released after three games.

Reply #311759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So happy to be corrected but Farley hasn't played anywhere (other than HSH) over the last two years?

Reply #311760 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Anonymous........bit harsh!

Div 2 in Spain is pretty comp comp and TDV was putting up decent numbers. I believe Barlow and Worthington played in the league so I'd say it would be a step up to NBL level.

Shannon's resume speaks for iself over a long professional career in the best leagues in Europe - enough said.

Howard was on verge of NBA after a standout D League season. Came in with good wraps.....

Reply #311763 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Jake

"Are the players hacks or is it the current system they are playing in giving them no confidence?"

What "system" are you referring to. Our team has played remarkably similar despite some major roster renovations across the last three coaching regimes.

"You cannot keep throwing blame at the players IMO"

Why not. Why wouldn't you take a good hard look at those players who have been the constants in those consistently bad teams over the past 5 years?

Why is that more improbable than when all of those teams have exhibited the same problems - Can't win away, can't finish games, stagnant offences, no heart/intensity, key players going missing, defensive lapses etc?

The constants over those years have not been "the system".

Reply #311767 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

There's just so many reasons - most well justified - that we are so bad. It makes it very difficult to pick one, two or even three things to focus on and address.

We're just a mess.

Reply #311772 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Has Farley been applying his trade else where ??

Reply #311778 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Way to keep up special 1!!

Reply #311784 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I love Farley with all my heart. I would kiss the ground he walks on but he is not the player he was 5 years ago. Curious suggested how good he was at the HSH games but I was not impressed based on his game and could clearly see he was only a shadow of his former best. As for the suggestions that he can't be any worse than the imports we have had this year, I would hope the club have a higher standard of what will be acceptable in an import for next season. We can't just look for imports that are better than what he have had this season but imports that are going to get the job done. Also, please no more talk about local state league players unless Creek and Daly don't sign back for next season.

Reply #311797 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

My bad didnt read all the posts

Reply #311806 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow, that was a pasting.

XY 100 - Opposition Nil.

Totally agree with you XY. Our roster just isn't very good. And it has exhibited many of the same tendencies this season as last. No coach would win with the roster and injuries we have had this season, let alone a rookie.

I said earlier this season that we might as well have had Farley rather than the imports we ended up with, but that was black humour. If Farley is better than either of the imports we get next season I'm gonna cry like D-Wade and LBJ.

Reply #311817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754