Anonymous
Years ago

Boti on Overtime tonight

Was meant to be last week but he said he will be on this week.

Topic #25197 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Just saw on TV guide that its Carfino, Gaze and Heal tonight and Joey Wright and Boti

Reply #311921 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Yep, at almost midnight after a show about trucks and a movie that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with sport. Lachlan, you're ruining our favourite channel!

Reply #311928 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

On a little earlier at ChTen, I think.. 20mins or so.

Still, people got up early this a.m. and have to get up tomorrow.. not many viewers.

Reply #311937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a bit scathing of Marty Clarke. Said he's an excellent teacher at training sessions but has a long way to go in terms of being an NBL level game day coach.

He also said it was Clarke that withdrew the offer to Schenscher in the offseason preferring to focus on DJ. Boti also said like others have noted if it's a three year plan and the team obviously is crap this year why would people bother buying tickets next season and not just turn up in year 3?

Three players under contract for next season: Balls, DJ and Creek.

Also the boxing match between Shane Heal & Joey Wright has been re-scheduled to the 21st May. It was meant to happen a few weeks ago on the Gold Coast but the Blaze were playing that same night in Melbourne. Joey's lost five kilos already in training!

Reply #311947 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Boti is the man. Agreed with everything he said. He is a straight shooter and tells it how it is. Hopefully the coaching team can make the necessary adjustments in the off season and get it right for next season

I thought Heal and Gaze looked uncomfortable at times when Boti was on.

Reply #311964 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jake, yeah got the feeling they came to the table with the intention of defending MC but couldn't really argue the facts he put up.

Reply #311966 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

http://onehd.com.au/video.htm?tags=sport:code!Basketball

The link to the show

Reply #311967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed that Boti was dead on the money. Really loved where he used the phrase "When has this ever been a development league"?, Developed players like Ingles Jawai and Newley are no longer here so why is he developing guys?

Really disappointed Gaze and Heal stuck up for Marty, thought they had better knowledge of the game than the crap they were feeding back.

Reply #311969 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Boti will be very proud of himself when the owners decide to shut the 36ers down. He is a spoilt brat who cannot get his way like he has in the past.
He is not a reporter, but a critic.
His constant suggestion to fans that they should not support the team will only damage the brand and destroy the commercial opportunities for the Club.

I think you will find that Gaze and Heal could see the larger picture and could not beleive the attack on the Club.

The Club is not MC or Balls or any of the current players, it is much bigger.

Reply #311976 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

BB, he's a friggin reporter. There's no bias in the articles he writes; he just tells it as he sees it.

If his opinions and viewpoints differ from yours, then that's that. Don't be a whinger all because you ruffles a few feathers.

If he finds something worth writing a positive note about (such as when we win) when he'll do so; but can't exactly go into an interview when we've lost X games in a row, been thumped at home and have had minimal bright spots.

Reply #311980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"When has this ever been a development league"?, Developed players like Ingles Jawai and Newley are no longer here so why is he developing guys?
D Martin, M Knight, Wagstaff, Weigh, Worthington, Barlow, Kendall, Gibson, Goulding.

Not every young player is going to stay around forever, but there are a lot of younger guys who've been very useful to their teams, including from a points-value perspective (Goulding, Jawai). Can't be the only part of a strategy though and it wasn't this year, hence just Johnson and Creek could really be considered development projects, and maybe Hill. And Creek only came in after Herbert's injury.

On Schenscher, what I heard was that the offer was pulled when Marty realised they would be left short on points for imports (I've posted about this before). I guess at that stage they'd banked on getting an import PG and a vet import SG. Might also be the case that Marty figured Johnson would be wasted at C behind Luke (having got DJ while Luke was keen on the NBA), or wondered about Perth ignoring him too? Luke's season with Adelaide was 15-15 and he wasn't rushed back as a priority by Ninnis?

Obviously with hindsight (and Bruce becoming available, Daly stepping up), it's much easier to think that it could've been worth sacrificing an import spot for Luke. I still don't think we would've been significantly better - TDV would've been skipped you'd think, and probably Holmes since JD had already signed?

Winder/Carter
Ng (injured)/lower points player
Hill/Herbert (injured)
Ballinger/Dowdell
Schenscher/Johnson

Reply #311984 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Spot on BB!! I cant believe that some people think what Boti writes is gospel. Where does he get his info?
Im sure he is not getting it from the coach.
It is only what Boti thinks to be true and second hand infomation or is he talking to SOS directly?

Reply #311988 | Report this post

Kb3  
Years ago

Agreed that Boti was called out by true Nbl greats. You can't say that has no biase. He is all biase. There is a large amount of people that don't follow the Nbl that he could be attracting to the sport instead he relies on snide commentary to create an article. He is all opinion. If he knows so much why doesn't he coach. cheapshot arm chair criticism at it's best

Reply #311990 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

When has it been a development league?

Gee that kid Maher looks like he might be ok, pity he will have to go to college......

Reply #312014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One day when he coaches the 36ers, everyone will see....It's easy to sit behind a by-line and lob grenades. Put your nuts on the line and do something positive and stop playing kingmaker Boti.

Reply #312017 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Boti is not only one that has raised these concerns. Maher has come out and raised similar things......

Reply #312026 | Report this post

Kb3  
Years ago

Maher only raised then in articles written by Boti

Reply #312029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maher only saying things cos his mate ninnis got the sack

Maher might be looking for a full time job

Reply #312030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be much easier to take Boti seriously in his critisicm of coaching if he weren't such a bad coach himself.

Why would you listen to someone who does a bad job themseleves when they bag someone else.

I would listen to that Jai guy more as he at least hasn't proven that his 'method' of coaching is unsuccessful.

Reply #312032 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Another point to raise.
Boti has been on the sixers case most of the season as a critic, compare the articles he writes on the lightning, why do they not get the same, we all know that is not a happy camp.
Oh thats right, his daughter will be back from the US one day.
Of course, I am not suggesting anything, just interesting.

Reply #312035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, seems a few in the front office didn't like what Boti had to say. Like he said he's been more than fair this season. There were plenty of times earlier in the season when things weren't looking too flash and he kept his mouth shut.

I find it extremely offensive some people (employees, friends of the players etc) expect him to just be a yes man.

If you want nothing but praise put a half decent team out on the floor, spend a few dollars on the roster and don't expect the fans (especially those that actually pay for their tickets) to swallow shit sandwiches year after year.

Reply #312037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BB,

Boti has been pretty critical of the Lightning this season. I've read every single article he's written on them (and the Sixers) this season and in the last third of the season he was very critical.

Take out the kids in the AIS and we've got the two worst teams in both the NBL & WNBL despite the 36ers pretty much leading the league in attendance every year.

Every where else organisations/owners are able to do more with less, think about it.

Reply #312038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Maher article I read talked about concentrating minutes to starters (though no real commentary on what other teams are doing, and about how often the bench players have outperformed starters in terms of getting a lead) and heading to the States to scout imports in person (don't think many would disagree with that after this year).

Was there much else he's talked about that people are referencing here?

Reply #312041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has been hardly as critical of the Lightning as the 36ers.

He is best mates with Brehney and performed way worse the the 36ers and the blame has been put more on the owners than the coach, who is also the CEO.

Reply #312049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

Without knowing the inner workings of the Lightning I think the vast majority of people would put more blame on the owner than Brehney.

Reply #312050 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Excellent post by Annoymous who pointed out the negative post are by people in the Sixers office or friends of the players!

What is more damaging to the club:

1. An Adult paying almost $30 to go to a game, watching an embarrassing performance, having the team booed off the court and then having the stupid coach say a few days later "It's not about wins or loss's".

or

2. Having an Journalist Award Winner writing/saying what is actually happening i.e. Too many rotations, coach doesn't know how to coach pro men, he picked the wrong players.

Furthermore, potential Sponsors would like to be part of a winning team and take their clients to the game. Sponsors/Spectators pay to see an entertaining product, there is nothing entertaining about the team at the moment. Boti is pointing this as well as the other facts as would other reporters in football and soccer. This sort of pressure is important so that changes are made instead of SOS losing money because the coach feels "it's not about wins and loss's".

Once next year comes around he will be reporting on the positives of new players signed and the new hope of a good season which we all deserve. He just says it how it is, if SOS doesn't like it then they should tell Clarke to learn how to coach and to do a decent job instead of leading this years team to what will probably be Adelaide's worst season record in the NBL!

Reply #312053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am neither KingJames.

Reply #312058 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

exactly anon
why is it not breheny's fault that the lightning are last.

is boti suggesting that breheny knows what he is doing and therefore cant be accountable for the w/ l record yet he holds clarke to the sword over the same results.

The 36ers have a lot more promise than what the lightning do yet no equality in his articles to that regard

If Boti had a son coming out of college do you think he would be smashing clarke this way, hell no.

the sunday mail article showed what everyone knows is going on inside the lightning. Boti jumps to their defence at first opportunity.

Boti like newspapers are a dying breed of journalism, and thank goodness too

Reply #312063 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

King James is right!
B says it how it is and it needs to be said!
Clarke will not take this club anywhere with the way he has recruited.
He is definatley not a good game coach as well and has no idea how to use his players.
Gaze and Heal have got to protect Clarke as thay have to protect their own credability. They played a role in him getting him the Ass job with the Boomers to help protect his job with the 36ers

Reply #312070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Peter,

Why hasn't he said the same about Steve Brehney at the Lightning?

Reply #312071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um, because Brehney has proven he can coach at NBL level both as a head coach & an assistant coach.

Reply #312073 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Wow, talk about shooting teh messenger. But I digress.

Isaac - agree with your observation that there are a number of players who've been developed in the league.

Not having seen the show early this morning, I hesitate to defend Nagy. However, I interpret a development league as one that focuses on developing players' potential, with the objective of them moving to the next level in the sport. They get game time and training focused on improving their weaknesses and opportunities to show they're good enough for that next level.

But the NBL is the pinnacle of men's basketball in Australia. There is no next level in this country. So the focus for teams in the NBL must be on achievement rather than development.

The players you list I see as having been developed within programs focused on achievement. They were player 8-10, getting limited minutes, and there were only 1 or 2 such players hitting the court for their team unless it was a blowout. Collectively, that player group would get around 10% of total game time for the team.

This year, Johnson, Dowdell, Daly, Creek and Harris all fit the label of development players. A couple have played every game, Creek has played every game barring injury, Daly has played almost half of the games (admittedly not by original design) and Harris only hit the court twice. Collectively these players account for almost a quarter of total game time for the 36ers. That's total game time, including the ones they didn't play.

If you consider players like Carter and Bruce also are relatively early in their careers and still developing, that share rises to 36% of total game time. Personally, I'm comfortable that they have demonstrated their worth and earned their time. However, the other players I think have benefited somewhat from the lack of mature, developed players in the squad.

It's this context that, for me, gives merit to the accusation that 36ers have operated as a development squad this year, rather than a mature squad with a couple of development players.

Reply #312075 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

PS - I'm not the Peter above who posted re KingJames

Reply #312076 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

what a load of rot. Kobe Bryant works on changing his game every year and ads different parts to his game. By your rationale that means he is a development player.

Harris filled a role due to injuries
Dowdell is in his i think 4th season
Creek is a rookie who no team would pass up the opportunity to sign
Daly has been given the opportunity through injuries to see what he can do

Last year the coach did not play Molitor or Garlepp. one has left the sport completely despite showing locally he can play as good as other NBL players in the ABA, the other started games for the Blaze this year.

Boti is the only one talking about the NBL being a development league. Name me one other journalist or person relative to the NBL that has called it such.

Until college became accessible to more aussies where did they learn to play the game? Gaze , Heal , Bradtke all learnt to play the game by logging minutes in the NBL. If it wasn't for alert coaches prepared to pump hours of tuition into these guys how were they to get better....

Reply #312082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is the only one talking about the NBL being a development league. Name me one other journalist or person relative to the NBL that has called it such.

Boti is responding to what Clarke essentially wants the NBL to be, a developmental league. It's pure self-interest. He knows the 36ers can't/won't compete with most of the other clubs financially and has access to young players through his AIS job.

Clarke's proposal at the time got the bollocking it deserved.

Reply #312090 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

peter - maybe you could call yourself john....so we don't get you confused with peter !!

Reply #312110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has Brehney coaching well 10 or more years ago got anything to do with the modern day game?

He selected players he had never seen play, and got worse results with a budget larger than 3 teams who made the finals.

He did a significantly worse job the Clarke and has not had Boti say 1 negative thing about him.

It looks like an obvious situation of someone looking after their mates.

Reply #312112 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Breheney stood down and Buckle has been signed - not much point Boti bagging Steve. With the speed of the appointment so soon after the WNBL season had finished, it was obvious that this appointment was already negotiated, how long ago, only a few people know.

Boti is only saying what most people on this Forum have been saying for quite a long time about Clarke.

Reply #312119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is saying it during the season.

Why wasnt he saying during the season that Brehney had done a bad job of recruiting as CEO and a bad job of coaching as he was the coach.

All is not as it seems, Boti is looking after his family and friends. Wo behold those who are neither.

Thats not journalism, its nepotism. There is a reason he or his wife have coached their own children almost every year of their junior career.

Reply #312121 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

The NBL must be a development league and an elite league, as it has been for many years.

Mackinnon, Anstey, Dwight, Nielsen, Saville, Crawford, Abercrombie, Vukona, Ingles, Newley, Jawai, Gibson, Khazzouh, Cedar, Bruton, Campbell, Forman, Davidson, Tragardh, Tovey, Weigh, Goulding and Petrie are some of many who have developed their games in the NBL.

Even guys like Worthington, D Martin, Barlow and M Knight went to college and came back solid players but developed into the players they are today in the NBL.

Look at Kirk Penney, he has developed significantly in his time in the NBL.

I guess my point is if the NBL doesnt develop young Aussie and Kiwi talent, who will, and where will the next lot of talent come from?

Reply #312123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Peter,

I remember Ingles playing a major role from his very first game. Newley and Jawai also. Worthington had at least 10 points and five rebounds in each of his first four games as a King. I think Kendall had 24/5/4 on debut.

Matt Knight had something like 39 and 14 in his first two games. Weigh had a 20 point game by round four of his first season. Wagstaff was playing reasonable minutes from his first year. All these guys were in primary rotations early on.

Yes, these teams (and all teams) develop for achievement if they develop, but surely the 36ers are trying to do the exact same thing? If not, why would we have imports, Ballinger, Holmes, Herbert, etc? What's happened in Adelaide is just that this particular foray (for various reasons we've all talked about for months) has failed and it hasn't helped that the failure has come on the back of other bad years, for a rookie coach, etc.

This year, Johnson, Dowdell, Daly, Creek and Harris all fit the label of development players.
Johnson, yes, a developing centre. Dowdell is there because you don't get a stud for four player points - go through the points list and see what the alternatives are - slim pickings! I don't think he's a development prospect. Harris was 11th man, just a bonus gamble to see what might happen and has barely played. Creek's only there because of Herbert's injury and when the next Staunton medalist comes along, you snap him up. And Daly is a development player (all about developing, of course) who's only got minutes because so many other combos have sucked.

When Howard was playing as averagely as he was, why wouldn't you instead blood Creek without giving up much?

Reply #312147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754