Isaac
Years ago

Maher: 36ers should go abroad in import hunt

Maher said 36ers' management sending Clarke to the US to recruit imports would cut down the margin for error. And also the costs.

"I think Phil (Smyth) was the last coach to do that and that was a while ago," Maher said. "I think it makes more sense to maybe spend five-grand and send a coach over to find the right players rather than (having to) cut three imports during the season."

Full story: 36ers great says send coach to US to recruit import talent

Also thinks that Marty looks to run too many players too early. Read the full article for his comments.

An import trip sounds like smart expenditure to me so can't argue with that even if there is a perception that it's a paid holiday by a few people.

However, I think the benchies are often played the duration they are because many have proven fairly successful by comparison. e.g., I'm not unhappy to see Daly get a run in place of Bruce sometimes or Dowdell in for Holmes. That said, you'd cycle players quicker if we were playing a running game more often, but we're usually not.

Another thing I hope to see Marty change (unmentioned in the article) is to ease off on the training a bit. It's important to build a tough, hard-working culture, but not at the expense of game-day health. In the last few games, Ballinger has looked exhausted after 6-7 minutes straight on court. In Sydney, at one point Carter looked buggered.

Topic #25204 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

While I can't comment on how hard the training is; there's also the need for the players to rest themselves and cool down accordingly.

If there's a large time period between games, then any player that feels tired needs to utilize any services they can to recover: massage, physio etc. or even make sure that they get some extra sleep.

If you're talking 2-3 hours of solid training then a game within 1-2 hours, I could understand the fatigue, but if you're talking a 4-5 hour break or overnight rest, then what excuse if there for fatigue?

Agree about the rotations and import plan though; certainly need to look at scouting better rather than reading charts and relying on stat lines.

The rotations were certainly sporadic. Glad even Maher picked up on that.

Reply #311983 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They'd be watching video of the players rather than just looking at stats, etc. We see YouTube videos and the like while clubs would be watching full games or at least halves demonstrating ability.

Might be wrong, but I don't think McLeod travelled OS to pick Ervin for the Hawks.

Reply #311991 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Still, sitting on your behind and relying on media isn't a proven method. McLeod in all his wisdom and worth of judging talent, could have picked Ervin on Pot Luck.

Not taking anything away from the Hawks or the talent that they have; but it's worth that money travelling to see someone play 1st hand.

In a situation where you have footage from a game 3-4 months earlier versus their skills at the time of selection could be quite different.

Reply #311994 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

gordie went to see ervin play in the states on homicides recommendation

Reply #311995 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

There you go. Applause to Gordie.

Reply #311996 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OK, corrected. Thanks. Definitely worth even a barebones trip OS to scout. As you said, current ability is key - Groves, Chappell and Grizzard were all 20 PPG players once in the past.

Reply #311998 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I agree coaches should be in the States to pick players first hand - also gives a chance to gauge personality.

Throw a tape measure in the suitcase though - I want to get to the bottom of the mysterious 3 inch height shrink when players get off the plane here.

Reply #312000 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I have been saying this for years! Cant believe it doesnt happen more often, videos can be heavily edited!

Reply #312001 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

It's always made sense to me to send a coach to the US to find players (having played and worked with many duds can't really believe how many duds we actually get in Australia!).

Having said that, I'd hope that Adelaide might get better value from that trip than the Blaze did - they sent Joey on a much-publicised scouting mission (which I'm sure was more on the $15K variety than the $5K variety) only to go through two imports, one of whom was a recycled NBL guy.

On the scouting note, and I know the draw worked for Marty to be able to do it, but it was conspicuous that he was the only NBL coach at the 20's on the men's side, and Chambers and Dalton (who are part of the Gems staff) were the only coaches on the women's side where I think there's even more of a chance of seeing somebody who will be a player in the next 18 months.

Probably reinforces the win-now mentality of all the pro clubs but doesn't say much for BA who are charged with developing the sport and run these comps (whether the 20's should actually even be in-season fro these teams is a whole other argument!).

Reply #312002 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I thought Goorg spotted Ervin & rang Gordie?

Reply #312004 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

gorg definately spotted ervin and rang gordi.
gorg saw him drop 50 i think at a bigtime ball park over in the US.

Reply #312012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These guys are professionals playing ONE GAME A WEEK. If they aren't training, what the hell are they doing??? Playing playstation?

How can anyone justify Ballinger's contract at nearly $200k a season when he plays ONCE A WEEK for HALF A CALENDAR YEAR (no less) and he's tired because Marty trained him too hard...And IZZO AT MICHIGAN STATE didn't when he won an NCAA title?

Someone please enlighten me FFS. What a bunch of softc**ks. And you guys want these players representing YOU. Amazing. No resilience.

Reply #312015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie definately did not go to the states to see either Ervin or Mckee last year. U really think the Hawks are coughing up money for that?

Reply #312016 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

These guys are professionals playing ONE GAME A WEEK. If they aren't training, what the hell are they doing??? Playing playstation?

How can anyone justify Ballinger's contract at nearly $200k a season when he plays ONCE A WEEK for HALF A CALENDAR YEAR (no less) and he's tired because Marty trained him too hard...And IZZO AT MICHIGAN STATE didn't when he won an NCAA title?

Someone please enlighten me FFS. What a bunch of softc**ks. And you guys want these players representing YOU. Amazing. No resilience.

So by your reckoning if would be perfectly alright for these guys to lift weights 12 hours a day 6 days a week with a day off on game day? The body needs time to recover, I'm pretty sure most NBL teams train once every day but the Sixers train twice, it's not about being a bunch of softc**ks, it's about allowing the body a chance to recover.

These aren't 17 year old bodies at the AIS that have different and better recovering properties, these are full grown men with more miles on their clock and less ability to recover quickly. If a super heavy training schedule was the best way to operate in the NBL then surely more teams would be doing it (rather than just the team on the bottom of the ladder)?

Reply #312036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to admit I was a little shocked when I read what Maher said in yesterday's paper. I had just assumed Clarke would've gone over their to scout a few imports.

It doesn't excuse his woeful selections but at least explains it a little. Still you'd hope an NBL level coach might have a better eye than that. In saying that it's not like he's got much money to play with.

Hopefully next season we do the logical thing and put Schenscher alongside Balls and go from there. If that means only one cheap import so be it.

Reply #312040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

billo, not discounting your general point that over-training will impact a player, but I don't think the 36ers training schedule itself is that far different from other teams. The schedule they send out to media has a daily 9-11 session (other than pre-game shootaround, post-game recovery sessions, etc). I assume that weights and probably individuals are in addition to this. Seems pretty similar to most teams - I was in Wollongong for the last few days, and their Tuesday was 7am weights and then 2-4pm training.

I think it might be about intensity or additional fitness programs? Watching the Kings-36ers game, Gary Ervin said he thought the 36ers looked over-worked.

(From that, you either have to spread out the minutes, or you adjust the intensity a bit. If you were going with the former, I don't know why you wouldn't also try to out-run the other team.)

Reply #312043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is for all the 'balls playing out of his position' fans!!

But Ballinger, arguably the No.1 power forward in the NBL, said he had not personally been concerned at playing the centre role under first-year coach Marty Clarke.

"In our system, power forward and centre are pretty much interchangeable," he said.

Reply #312047 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Pretty sure Balls is on well under $200k. Around 125k I heard.

Reply #312048 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

no player would be on $200K..

from memory there is an player payment cap build into the salary cap...$160K i think...was a few years back when i read it.

Reply #312052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In our system, power forward and centre are pretty much interchangeable," he said.

Others like myself who have complained about this all season are talking about defensively. Nothing wrong with Balls' offensive game this season, one of the top scorers in the league while shooting an outstanding percentage. He's obviously not much chop defensively but he wouldn't get so exposed if he were guarding other PF's rather than the opposition centre night in night out.

Reply #312054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti in today's paper:

OSCAR Forman has exercised his option to continue with the Hawks next season, ending dreams of reuniting him and good mate Luke Schenscher at Adelaide 36ers in 2011-12.

Seriously, some administrators must live in a fantasy world.

Both Ossie and Schensch were free agents at the start of this season and Adelaide went for Jeff Dowdell and Daniel Johnson instead.

Why would either now look at coming to the Sixers next season when the Big O is having a "Most Improved" year under Saint Gordie and Townsville is running its offence through Luke?

Both sides are chasing the title.

Last time I looked, Adelaide was chasing its tail.

And you wonder why fans in Adelaide are irate?

Reply #312055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BMF, that's an old rule.

Last year, I think there were two players on or over $200k in the league.

Anon, not that many 36ers fans were overly keen to pick up Oscar in the off-season. The reigning champs weren't interested in keeping Schensch either, saying he was asking too much. Much easier with hindsight obviously.

Reply #312056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Not worried about Oscar we've already got Ballinger so no need for him but I and a number of others were calling for Schenscher's signing not just in the offseason but during the last season.

Schenscher signed a cheap 11th our contract with the Wildcats last season. He played a part in helping them get the championship and had the previous season come off a season with the 36ers where he averaged 17 & 10 and helped get us to the playoffs.

Of course he was going to ask for a pay rise.

Reply #312061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*11th hour

Reply #312062 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know the deal and he's a decent player and even better person, but I just try to understand club/coaches decisions in these things. Fans watch some games. The clubs/coaches see all the trainings, the analysis, etc. Last year, Luke was barely played in the finals series. Even in Townsville this year, he is rarely played in the fourth quarter.

Pay rise is one thing. Asking more than they thought it was worth paying him is another. Maybe they got wind of Matt Knight early, maybe he was cheaper and they figured they could have a crack without paying Luke's asking price. Big advantage of having Bevo is going to be first contact for that bracket of player. Hopefully Clarke will have the same advantage with the Creek, Dellavedova, Greenwood group.

Reply #312069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Success coincidentally seems to follow Schenscher around. His one year with the 36ers we make the playoffs (admittedly a stacked team) and we've been bottom of the ladder both year since, one year with Perth a championship and now first year with the Crocs currently 3rd on the ladder and just half a game out of 2nd spot.

He's currently averaging 14ppg (Top 15 in the league), 6.6rpg, 1bpg and shooting 54% from the field and 74% on FT's all in less than 25mpg. He's a very good player. Maybe the Crocs prefer to go small in 4th quarters? Who knows.

I dare say the Wildcats probably would've rejected any sort of pay rise from him given he wasn't used well there/they didn't think enough of him. He still averaged 10ppg, 6rpg, 1bpg @ 52% as the starting centre on last season's championship team and 17ppg, 11rpg, 1bpg @ 55% the previous season with the 36ers.

You don't actually outplay MVP era Chris Anstey in '09 each time he played against him and the GF bound Tigers that season by accident.

Reply #312072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to Serbia and get some cheap players that can actually shoot the damn ball,im sick of American imports that think too much of themselves.by the way most young players can speak English.

Reply #312094 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We wanted to sign Luke again , after his first season here, but he wanted to go overseas for D-league, for a little while , with the Lakers.
He came back here to training , and we'd signed Burston. I wouldn't have minded both here.
But , later we signed Cortez Groves instead, so Luke went to Perth , then -Burston went down with injury , playing for the Boomers. Later , Burston had other injuries for half the season and wasn't match fit for some of the games. Schenscher sure would've been handy to have here.

Reply #312099 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw, ..later, .. we signed Cortez Groves as an SG and David Cooper as a back up Centre, .. instead of Schenscher...
However, the Coach used Ballinger at Centre, with Burston's injury and didn't play Cooper.

Reply #312104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, you don't need to sell him to me! ;) Unmentioned is that the last two seasons he's toyed with NBA/Euro aspirations and hasn't made himself available as a clean, early signing to build around. First time around, Adelaide went with Burston rather than waiting. Last off-season we went with Johnson though later we did have a chance to get Luke as I mentioned in a thread recently and canned the offer.

Reply #312144 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall John Gilchrist training here at that time, for 2 weeks trial out , to see if he could get a spot on our roster.
Seemed a good idea, rather than us going over there.
Only thing was he passed first , for 2 weeks , mostly to Burston. Then Burston went out injured and then, Gilchrist tried to do too much himself.

(Adrien Sturt came over from the Melbourne Tigers for 3 days trial out, also.
This pre-season we asked Jordan Dodman to come out for a tial out, on the first day of training, ...
.... but , .. he didn't turn up.)

Reply #312145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmmmm... Luke was told he wasn't needed here by the coach pretty much, and he should look elsewhere, he wanted to play here!

Reply #312621 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Luke knocked back a contract with the sixers a couple of years ago because his agent promised mega bucks on dream contract somewhere in Europe, America wherever.
Luke got all excited and went.
Guess what? the agent couldn't find that amazing gig after all.
As a result Perth picked him up for a year for a peanuts deal.

Reply #312752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:47 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754