MaitlandReporter
Years ago

Breakers v Kings

Breakers by 5 in a close one over an undermanned Sydney.

Seriously the commentators need to learn the rules of the game! Being on National TV bagging referees on calls that are just that black and white, is ridiculous!

Unsportsmanlike foul against Dickle in the last 12 seconds on an inbound pass, he stepped out and elbowed Penney to ground to stop him receiving the ball. It wasn't the level on contact that was the foul, it was the fact that he fouled and prevented a player from receiving an inbound pass which was a non incidental contact.

Topic #25206 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Will take the win and hopefully build on it heading towards the playoffs.

Reply #312084 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Trey Gilder loped around for 20points on Sunday and 30points tonite.

Reply #312087 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I like Gilder. He seems to be really improving with every game. Would mind at all seeing him in a sixers uniform next season

Reply #312091 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hooray, we are off the bottom rung of the ladder, enjoy everyone while it lasts because it will be very short lived.

Reply #312098 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Kings - with possesion, one point down , 20 seconds to go and a little bit of a fumble , playing against the top team on the top team's home court, causes them to lose the game and go to bottom spot.
Incredible really.

Reply #312100 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

Big worries for the NBL, in all seriousness, with the quality of the commentators coming into the finals. They are very unprofessional and if the title is going to go through the Breakers and these guys will be the commentating it, Aussie viewers who may not watch the Thurs night games regularly from NZ will be shaking there heads, not professional sounding at all.

Reply #312109 | Report this post

Andrew Mulligan  
Years ago

Why are we 'very unprofessional'?

The foul on Dickel wasn't up for debate as far as Casey & I were concerned, it was the game deciding call on it being unsportsmanlike.

Reply #312114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take the NZ commentary any day over Carfino et al.

Reply #312117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering how badly the breakers were getting hosed the whole game by the two aussie refs, they deserved to win this game

Reply #312118 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Andrew, you guys got it wrong with the unsportsmanlike call. The FIBA rule (no matter what anyone thinks of it) mandated that had to be unsportsmanlike.

Apart from that, I think you guys do a great job - humour mixed in with good, upbeat commentary and usually astute anlysis from Casey. Keep up the good work.

Reply #312122 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I enjoy the NZ commentary too.

USF ball hasn't been inbounded. Stupid foul, cost them the game.
Sydney have to sort out their guards. One of them has to go because they seem to dirk each other.

Reply #312124 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lemanis needs to put more faith in Pledger.. because he can perform at this level , or even higher as shown in the last FIBA oceania series where he had double-double performances against Jawai.

He played only 4 mins tonight, 3 rebounds and only 1 foul.

As a breaker fan, I want to see him get more minutes and I would like to see greater productivity from Bruton.

Reply #312125 | Report this post

Andrew Mulligan  
Years ago

Cheers Paul. Appreciate the info and we need to brush up on our knowledge in that respect then. Was concerned we we were labelled a bit unfairly on here. One HD are sending their team over for the playoffs so only one game left of us to endure!

Reply #312128 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think the commentators do a good job on the Breakers home games.
Can't think of anyone that would do a better job apart from Paul Henry but he would tease players about their names ;)

Reply #312129 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anyone know why Khazzouh didn't play?

Reply #312130 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

What cost them the game was the TO Madgen to Knight. Dickel never should have picked it up and given it to Madgen.
Good effort by Kings, but you always felt Breakers would deliver. Pretty shabby performance though.

Reply #312132 | Report this post

Years ago

Khazzouh missed with a minor groin injury. Will play against Wollongong on the 27th.

Reply #312133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No sane person would want Gilder at the 36ers even considering past imports.

Reply #312134 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a shame Andrew, I think you do a better job of making the game seem exciting and alive than some of our commentators, who seem more interested in telling us how terrible everything is!

Reply #312135 | Report this post

Andrew Mulligan  
Years ago

Thanks and that's good because that's our brief for the season from Sky TV NZ. We feel we've done OK for our first season of calling. Now to brush up on the finer points on FIBA rules and NBL officiating.

Reply #312137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the +/- for this game:

New Zealand

Kevin Braswell (9)
Kirk Penney (8)
Thomas Abercrombie (6)
Dillon Boucher (4)
Cj Bruton (3)
Gary Wilkinson (2)
Alex Pledger (2)
Mika Vukona (-2)
Paul Henare (-7)

Sydney

Luke Martin (2)
Jarrod Scoines (1)
Ben Knight (-1)
Joel Wagner (-1)
Blagoj Janev (-2)
Kevin White (-2)
Mark Dickel (-5)
Trey Gilder (-5)
Ben Madgen (-12)

Reply #312143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't Sanders play?

Reply #312148 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Casey Frank is a great commentator. Anyone that makes reference to Chris Gouldings "little cock" deserves some more air time.

Reply #312150 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It may be wanting to watch what players do .- . play.
Plus my resless-ness.
The guard gets a finger on the guy who shoots 2 points
and they go to the line for ' a three point play '
Just count the 2 points and the foul and play.
No need to go to the line , more than play.

Reply #312151 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

You spelt restlessness incorrectly and you made a brain implosion comment about killing the 3 point play??? Still hungover from St Pat's?

I didnt think the real Andrew Mulligan was going to read this. Seems the majority of the people on here are happy with their commentary, so im happy to be the minority, and continue what i do most weeks, mute and music in background instead! All in all, just happy basketball is on free to air.

Reply #312155 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw, Dylan cautioned me against my wasting time with polemics.

Reply #312156 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think the Commentators for the Breakers games do a great job! The interviews with the crowd are always done much better then the Australian commentators.

Also if that is actually one of the commentators on here it shows great initiative to interact with the online basketball fans.

Reply #312162 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I used to go to just about every home game but this season I have been happy to watch from my lounge, the TV Commentary and the Highlight Replays coupled with the fact that the NSEC only sells weasel piss have caused me to save myself a long drive to the North Shore. I will go to the Playoff games however

Reply #312171 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I appreciate the commentators but think you may need to be slightly less bias to the Breakers and stop stating the umpires have made wrong calls against them. I've noticed it a few times and from a non biased viewer it gets a little tired. I know it's hard, especially if you're a passionate supporter and will take time, if anyone remembers Gaze when he first started there was a game he commentated in Adelaide against his beloved Tigers who came back to win and Gaze was standing up yelling and cheering. He has gotten better over time and i'm sure you boys will do the same the more you get on. I don't think anyone minds you getting a few names wrong, I don't remember the Sixers players names myself from time to time. ;)

Reply #312173 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mystro mentions a great point in that they actually show replays unlike the normal Australian broadcast which shows perhaps 1 reply out of 4 interesting plays or instead of a close foul call they will show someone doing a layup.

Reply #312179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The foul call on Dickel was spot on, a dropped shoulder to boot, and the penalty consistent with the rules. No problems there.

As to the NZ commentary. While they are partial to the Breakers, quite understandably given it is principally a broadcast for an NZ audience, perhaps it could be tempered a tad, but overall, I think they do a terrific job.

The commentators describe what is happening and add information and insight to aid the viewer, and do this with enthusiasm and reveal a great rapport. What more could be asked of them?

AAs well as being capable at least they don't bag the NBL endlessly like Carfino et al, who seem to consider their brief to be to turn off viewers, both newbies and fans alike, as often and relentlessly as possible.

Go the Breakers (BTW an Australian fan here)

Reply #312182 | Report this post

MaitlandReporter  
Years ago

I did get on the high horse a little with the USF call, but like everyone else I much prefer the NZ commentators over the rest. I do actually enjoying listening becaus they add to the game not detract.

Reply #312185 | Report this post

Andrew Mulligan  
Years ago

@ The Brad Haha! 36ers game was a shocker!! Definite low point of the season.
Trying to not bag the refs but they aren't consistent enough and it is frustrating to try to placate both fans and unpartisan fans too. We are Sky/Breakers callers first and foremost, not NBL so we will lean towards them regardless. Gave Sydney a lot of love last night.

Reply #312237 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agreed King James, I don't leave my seat on the couch at timeouts or at the end of the quarter as I know all the good highlight plays will be replayed on the Sky NZ broadcast yet the One Hd Broadcast tend to let the commentary team do a piece to camera rather than talk about the highlights whilst playing them.

Reply #312324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Andrew, thanks for taking the time to post here.

Reply #312328 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac, props Andrew.

Reply #312336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754