Satish Dogra
Years ago

Funny Best ox or meat truck

You've got to love a good ox (aka meat truck) in your team.

Usual characteristics of an ox:
- not overly big, but plays in a position against guys much taller
- built like a brick proverbial
- not the sharpest tool in the shed
- works backside off in the paint at both ends
- sets killer screens

The Norwood-Forestville game the other night had a couple, Matt Jones for the Flames and Doug McDonald-Taylor for the Eagles. DMT in particular played very well and fulfilled his role as an ox down to a T.

Who are the other ABA meat trucks?

Other notable all-time meat trucks:
- Chris Blakemore
- and of course, the MVP of meat trucks, Charles Barkley

The one NBL player with the perfect build to be a kick-ass meat truck is Pero Cameron, but he just shoots 3s all games so he doesn't qualify.

(Mod: Belated basketball added. Proving to be an amusing thread.)

Topic #2522 | Report this topic

Interesting  
Years ago

You cant go past the truck Blight from south. He rocks up to games and you wonder how he can even run. Then he goes out there and dominates. THis guys work ethic and strength is very impressive considering he is about 30 KG over his ideal weight.

Reply #28267 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Troy Pillon

David Pennisi

Does Reesy qualify as a truck?

Reply #28335 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Troy Pilon is WAY a meat truck.

Not sure about Reesy; I reckon Sapwell when he was a Sixer is closer, when they had him guarding bigs and hustling everywhere. But he probably had too much skill to qualify (ie he could make a shot from outside the keyway).

Grant Kruger would go close to being a meat truck too. Vlahov was tough enough to be one but like Sapwell probably had too much skill.

Another college/NBA meat truck was that Robert "Tractor" Traylor. He was wider than he was tall - a big boy.

Reply #28348 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Danny Fortson ...

Prior to this year in the NBA ..massive shoulders and was carrying some extra beef cutlets above the hip bone !

Has improved though.

Reply #28352 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Sorry ..

forgot to mention Oliver Miller former Phoenix 'big' man

chunky!!

Reply #28353 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

What about Charles Oakley in his prime?

Reply #28354 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Oakley was definitely an enforcer, no question - but did he shoot too many jumpers? Your average meat truck is a low post animal who essentially abuses opponents on the block to a) get to the rim (in offense) or b) get good position (in defense).

Watching the NCAA final yesterday, that Sean May from North Carolina has all the markings of a solid future NBA ox. He abused Illinois.

Reply #28359 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

easterns Damien Pounsett, not sure if he's still around. He was a touch over 6" but would go on to give Trebilcock a break, grab boards and generally play tough on the bigger opposition. (wasn't dumb), but played like truck, or a work horse, hang on, wasn't his nickname horse?....?

Reply #28360 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

the ultimate ox would have to be my man 'the worm' Dennis Rodman - that guy could get into anyones head and take them out of the game. Not to mention crash the boards like something no-one had seen before.

How about the 1988/89 pistons? Ox team or what? Bill Laimbeer, Rodman etc. Pure OX

Reply #28364 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Scott Phillips from Forestville played bloody hard and grabbed far too many rebounds that a man his size was entitled to get.

Maybe Crothers from Westies is another.

Reply #28380 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Rodman wasn't an ox though IMO. He was one of my fav's also. But the man was 6'8, and atheltic as all hell. I don't think he should be classified as an ox should he?

Reply #28384 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

andy white at woodville a true a ox

Reply #28398 | Report this post

Andrew Jantke ... Norwood undersized 'big fella' always came in over size after a break in the season.

Reply #28399 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

#28399. I hear he is 'buff' lately or so he keeps telling everyone!

Reply #28408 | Report this post

Lets here a summary of the Trucks for each team in the ABL. For me its

Sturt - Finkemeyer
Norwood - Matt Jones
Forestville - Macdonald-Taylor
West - Kruthers (spelling?)
Southern - ??????
Woodville - Puddifoot
South - Blight (major truck)
Centrals - ????
Eastern - Campbell
North - Hambour

Reply #28414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doug mcdonald taylor from forestville is simply the greatest player ever

whenever his shot gets released you may as well start walking back to play defence and count it on the scoresheet.

doug forever!

Reply #28415 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about Trebilcock for Eastern?

Someone should organise a 5 on 5 game featuring all of these guys!

Reply #28416 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

That's a great idea Isaac - the only trouble is that it could be tricky fitting 10 meat trucks on the court at any one time, there simply isn't enough room.

Possible rule modifications for this game:

- no points for a made basket; the only way to get points is to grab a rebound, set a great screen or dive on a loose ball

- umpires are instructed to enforce a "no-layup" policy: if a meat truck in defence lets a layup past uncontested, he will be hit with a foul.

- Any meat truck who a) dribbles with their opposite hand b) shoots from outside the keyway or c) fails to sharpen their elbows on anyone cutting through the keyway will be ejected, on account of showing non ox-like tendencies.

Reply #28474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Satrish, that post deserves one of those basketball icons.

Reply #28476 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm just new to the forum, what does the bball icon mean?

(Mod: Means that the post was very informative, funny or whatever. This one from Satish was classic.)

Reply #28480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther would have to be a contender i don't know many players who enjoy going up against.
And i would dispute hambour being a meat truck he is a bit to "pretty fly for a white guy"

Reply #28533 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Satish could there be some sought of foul shooting part to the game...traditionally trucks can not hit 3 foot open jumpers, as a rule, but shoot 75%+ from the foul line.

Reply #28582 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I think that's because they know everyone is looking at them, Kent. :)

Another rule could be the "phone book" rule: prior to the game, much in the manner of a netball umpire checking each team for the length of its fingernails, the umpire would lay a White Pages on the ground, with any players able to jump over it being disqualified.

- The "end wall

Reply #28615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont agree with the phone book concept satrish. Some of these meat oxes can get up there for their size.

Anyway here are some more rules.

The drinks in the game are laced with creatine.

Instead of Gatorade the game sponsors are Coopers. Coopers make a return on their $50K sponsorship from the post match entertainment.

The recovery session takes place in the weights room.

The court is sound proof so the crowd doesnt turn deaf from all the yelling in defense (help, ball, screen etc.) and all the bodies banging.

Players are required by the AMA to wear the head protectors like in boxing.

A sign is placed on the stadium - "no fat chicks". This will halve attendence.

No coaches are to attend. A tape will be played of a coaches voice yelling "dont shoo.... well done big fella! Now play some D!"

There are 10 subs on each team.

Reply #28619 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think if you don't have 'wood burn' scabs developing on your knees and elbows at the conclusion of a match, you should be automatically suspended for the followings weeks game.

Luke Hoban probably qualifies to be the Tigers Ox/Meat Truck.

Reply #28626 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I'm still waiting for me to explain what I was going to say about "the end wall" before I hit the post button by mistake.

Reply #28630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one may shower 48 hours before the game

Reply #28639 | Report this post

the wall what ?  
Years ago

Get on with it Satish .. enough pageantry !

Reply #28644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The entire Junior program needs to be employed to clean sweat of the floor.

now Cmon that deserves as basketball icon!

Reply #28650 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

future truck's has to be steve at forestville and rhino from southern

Reply #28654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rhino for sure steve aint undersized

Reply #28931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

28416 - oi seriousy the albnoo shqq doin8es.

Reply #34012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul smith

Reply #194992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Paul Smith really qualifies.

Reply #194993 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754