Anonymous
Years ago

Are todays coaches positive role models?

Are today's coaches (junior-ABL) positive role models?
Or are todays coaches more inerested in self ego & winning games as opposed to developing players?

Topic #25254 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty broad question... any reason for asking it, recent examples of this not being the case, have they always been good role models?

Reply #312800 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Is that the same anon asking a question & then ripping it to bits? Schitso??

Reply #312803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll ask another question, why do very few people who have achieved within basketball circles walk away from the sport when they are finished rather than put something back into the sport.
Why is it left to people who have never achieved or done anything to put back in.Is this just the same as a parent living their dream through their children, are these coaches doing the same through their players?

Reply #312820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you call achieving??? If you are talking guys that were NBL players then the reason is simple. There are so few people that make it to this level from Adelaide that even if the number of them that spend sometime coaching juniors/abl level is 20% you still won't see many at all. Of course it would be nice to get that %age up higher but you will find even if it was 70% there would still not be much of an impact.

In terms of junior coaches, I think you will find most of the coaches coaching div 1 juniors played Div 1 junior basketball/ABL basketball and many played state juniors themselves. I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "achieving" though, its not realistic to have former Australian reps coaching juniors, there just are not many.

My view is that its very helpful to have at least played at the level you are coaching at. You are coaching kids to succeed at the junior level, if they succeed at the junior level they make a state team at that level its someone with the capabilities to coach them at that level develops them, if they succeed at that level they make an Australian team and another coach takes over, if they succeed at that level they go to college and and another coach takes over etc. etc.

At each level coaches tend to have relevent playing experience depending on the level the player achieves and often many of these coaches, you will find, have playing backgrounds themselves appropriate to the level they are coaching.

Reply #312827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree #312820, Junior coaches should be about developing & teaching our players of the future. Coaches should not carry on like a pork chop, with the refs, oposition players & their own team. After watching the 16's-18's finals last Friday @ Wayville, one club's coaches were certainly displaying this type of behavior. Junior sport is junior sport, no wonder we lose kids with coaches (who are both former State Coaches/SASI Coaches) acting this way. BSA needs to enforce its code of conduct for coaches, as they consistantly portray our sport in a bad light.

Reply #312828 | Report this post

apples&oranges  
Years ago

I think you can make your own mind up on that and give you opinion surely.
Apart from those that get paid (CABL) do they have any responsibility to be so?
Many would argue that coaches have taken their lead from the state's head coach and once again you would have to draw your own conclusion as to his role model status.

Basketball more than any other sport I'm aware of seems stuck in the popular 60's style of coaching that valued aggressive verbals, derogatory comments and punishment and is very much a do as I say not as I do style.
Not every coach who yells is being abusive and not every quiet one is not abusive.

Some real role modelling occurs amid the lower and younger grades where 'playing' is valued above the win and development of the person becomes the goal.This is a difficult concept to transpose when you get to the div 1 and 2 levels for obvious reasons.

The role of 'role models' in sport is a much debated point. Can an athlete who reaches the top, do so without the aggressive content that allows them to get there in the first place and how do they switch off that component when they cross back into the public gaze. Perhaps the tag of role model should be associated with individuals whose achievements in life are more significant than the ability to play elite sport for the public's entertainment.

I've never associated sportsmen and women with role models. I have admired sport's people from various sports and envied their sporting ability but if you look at false gods for modelling coaches for your children , you will be disappointed. There is a big difference between aspiring to play like your sporting idol and admiring their ability to expecting that person to live up to your expectations of a good person.

The best junior club in this state has an excellent skills/game coach who would not be considered by many to be an ideal role model for young people but it has not harmed his advancement in the sport so one could surmise that positive coach role modelling is in the eye of the beholder and like all things basketball - subjective.

Reply #312831 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

The best junior club in this state has an excellent skills/game coach who would not be considered by many to be an ideal role model for young people but it has not harmed his advancement in the sport so one could surmise that positive coach role modelling is in the eye of the beholder and like all things basketball - subjective

who exactly are you talking about?

Reply #312834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are cry baby parents who can buy everything for their spoilt brats except "court time" good role models? A parent who post here to bag a coach (who probably gets penuts) usually has a kid that is a pussy.

Reply #312853 | Report this post

apples&oranges  
Years ago

853, I hope you are involved with some other sport and not coaching anything. The poster posed a question and you made assumptions which may or may not be accurate.
I'd rather read your explanation and points of view instead of a damning wealthy parents who you believe spoil their children rant.
Given your reply I can only deduce that you are both sexist (reference to pussy) and left school to early (peanuts).

Reply #312877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SASI is full of role models! Coaches who all act & believe they are above the law.

Reply #312888 | Report this post

2 pointer  
Years ago

After watching the District grand finals last week and seeing a metro state / sasi coach being kicked out of the stadium while coaching a game, I think that some coaches are definatley not good role role models for kids!!!!

Reply #312893 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

i was at subway and the girl that had my lunch was glamorous.

= great roll model.

Reply #312924 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

lunch roll

Reply #312925 | Report this post

Me3  
Years ago

yep

Reply #312928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry "apples and oranges". English is my second language. Thank you for your help and the assumption that I left school early. I am not sexist, but do not think someone should who talks about role models here, is a role model themselves. Feel free to attack my ability to write to make your point. And sometimes the truth hurts.

Reply #312933 | Report this post

On school holidays manos? Or just having a few days of at the schools request?

Curious to know if anonymous is the same aonymous throughout this thread.

While coaches carrying on like knobs in't a good look, any situations outlined in this thread need to be viewed in isolation.

Role models make mistakes - I believe it's just that the best role models make very small ones.

I also believe that their is a greater chance of a coach stuffing up badly if they are younger than older, as they have less experience dealing with the same/similar issues.

Role models are also subjective - what one parent sees as worthwhile values and beliefs in the role model, another parent will not.

Reply #312957 | Report this post

Charon 23  
Years ago

The answer is easy,junior coaches are not always good role models. The reasons why are simpler to understand.
District sport attracts a higher percentage of aggresive parents who want their child to win and are extremely demanding, living their lives through their children is an often used description here.
The same can be said for some coaches extremely aggresive and demanding, living their lives through other peoples children if you like.
The higher the ladder position the higher percentage of the above behaviour occurs.
Remembering that these are children and sport is a recreational pursuit and not a business at this age.
You Do not have to let your children participate in District sport, or if you must , be more selective of the club you choose your child to join and be prepared to move if you are not happy with the behaviour standards of the club you are at.
Sporting clubs need your children to survive, you dont have to support the ones that dont respect the privelige it is to work with children.

Reply #312970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charon 23, "The higher the ladder position the higher percentage of the above behaviour occurs." Is exactly right. Many kids want to pursue excellence and their parents support this. These people want to be in a club that pursues excellence and expect this for the amount of money they invest. If they see the sport as a recreational pursuit they will generally not play district and rarely make a div level.

Reply #312978 | Report this post

pearjuice  
Years ago

anon, do you mean parents and players should allow abuse because they win and that to you represents excellence?

Reply #312999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CHaron 23
"The same can be said for some coaches extremely aggressive and demanding, living their lives through other people's children if you like."

I feel sorry for you. People actually coach because they love the game. I have coached for twenty years. Some of my best friends are players I coached and their parents. I am demanding and aggressive and have been for twenty years. I also care deeply about my players and they are smart enough to see that. People like you would think: “I am living my life through your kids.” SAD!

And to you next point: “Sporting clubs need your children to survive, you don’t have to support the ones that don’t respect the privilege it is to work with children.”

We do not need parents like you in our sport. Take your kid and go home. It is indeed a privilege to coach kids and a great responsibility. It is sad the coaches are judged harder than parents. That is also a privilege. And showing so little respect to the work of coaches and a hostile attitude raises questions about you.

Reply #313032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think a better question should be whether today's caoches have a positive influence on the playerse under their tutelage and the answer to that is surely a resounding NO. Most coaches focus entirely on coercion such that players become little more than obedient robots. Somewhere along the way we forgot taht sport is meant to be fun, joyous, playful - instead its about individual glory or winning at all costs. Anyone who wants to express themselves on the court is swiflty alienated from the game (might explain why there are so few indigenous players)

We've also lost any sense of basketabll as a thing of beauty - soccer douches go on about the beautful game all the time whereas in basketball there seems no sense whatsoever of artistry or fluidity or aesthetics - of course the two problems are not unrelated, as autocratic types tend to be artless of course..

Reply #313033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then take your kid and go home. Then a hungry div 2 player gets a chance.

Reply #313039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of hippies in this thread...

Reply #313072 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Somewhere along the way we forgot taht sport is meant to be fun, joyous, playful - instead its about individual glory or winning at all costs.
Might you be looking for social basketball? I thought the charter for district basketball would be about improvement, success, pathways to high levels, etc.

Definitely possible to play a winning, team game and enjoy yourself. I'm sure you could talk to many professional players about that.

Reply #313075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, good points.

Enjoyment & fun are not ALWAYS going to work hand in hand.

I enjoy my job but its not fun at all.

Reply #313077 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

One or two of your parents are your role model for the first 10 years.After that lifes experiences build or in horrific conditions scar ,your character(edit:not aimed at coaches LOL).

Coaches are teachers if you are prepared to listen.Most kids listen but are not capable of being coaches themselves,its a rare breed of person that can teach,coach,motivate.
Out of the early 36ers teams I can only point out 5 who are coaching,returning their career skills back into the sport.At least One has a winning team.
That coach at Wayville lost the game as a result of his eviction and i hope the kids forget his behaviour plus contradictorily learnt never to be like that at the same time.He should lose his SASI appointment.
I know a lot of young coaches who are imparting their knowledge while still playing.This must be why they one of them has most of her team come out to watch her CABL games.
With the amount of media that focuses and is fed by thirst for entertainment personalities i wonder if anyone knows what a role model is/should be?The lines are blurred.The traditional family values are in competition with PR stunts for attention.

Reply #313243 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

And if you are talking about the young coach I think you are she is perplexed that she isn't being offered more involvement with SASI development as a coach. I'm quite sure she would never be ejected from a game but takes her coaching very seriously. Simply a great role model for young basketballers and people.

Reply #313259 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shotclock - I dont think that coach is at SASI. That coach had a moment of frustration with the umpires, nothing more nothing less. The players know that if you behave like that there are consequences, which was a lesson they learnt at that game didnt they!

And one of those 6ers coaches that you speak of does a lot of damage to the game with the way he carries on intimidating the refs so they wont make calls against his team, eject him or tech him every time his team play. But he has a lot of knowledge to impart to the players without a doubt and more than likely puts in countless hours with his team imparting that knowledge. But is he a good role model? it would be very questionable!

Reply #313260 | Report this post

Rooster  
Years ago

We are all role models for children - parents, coaches, referees, administrators etc.
Perhaps we can't be all of the time, but we can for most of it.
Parents should not abdicate the role to coaches, but coaches need to accept that they are a role model too.
Over 20 of coaching has had some wonderful rewards in watching children develop into young adults. Few have gone off the rails.
Sport can teach kids a bunch about life, and coaches can assist that. We do win, and we do lose, teach them how to deal with that. Philisophical, i know, but it's a real outcome for kids in sport.

Reply #313493 | Report this post

Charon 23  
Years ago

To anonymous post 24th, what on earth are you on about? I commented some coaches are not good role models not all coaches. The majority are decent hard working people with a passion for sport. Not hard to guess what type you are with a rant like that, a guilty concience perhaps? I am very happy and lucky with the coaches my children have and glad you are not one. As for taking them and going home, never would i leave any sport they love because of a cowardly snipe from an anonymous like you.

Reply #314542 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754