Golden Era Premiere Night

well done - just home cinema 9/10ths full - appreciative crowd and well produced - very entertaining.

some serious old school 80's fashion statements.

great to see past and present players there.

Topic #25261 | Report this topic

sorry that should be "....just arrived home. Cinema 9/10ths full."

Reply #312939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wasn't able to make it tonight :( ....was millbank Photography there taking photos

Reply #312940 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Yep. Pics will be posted tomorrow. It was a very enjoyable evening, and a good show.

Reply #312941 | Report this post

cant thank LC and sixers enough for a good night. certainly something different.

Reply #312950 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Seconded Mr Magorium! Great effort by Coopz to put together the Golden Era. Some great footage in there and lots of funny comments, especially from Al Green, Darryl Pearce, 'Mad Max' McKay and Mark Davis. Boti did a great job of bringing the history to life on screen too.

Forgive my ignorance, but who was the MC? I think he said he was part of the ownership group, but I don't know what any of them look like really!

Reply #312953 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

Beantown, that was Dean Parker the owner...great guy!

Well done Lennon, fantastic job. It was such a great night with so many laughs and memories. It was great to see the players laughing way ahead as they knew what was coming!!

Also a great job to everyone that supported Lennon...espeially his wife!!

Reply #312965 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Really great night, amazing that one guy basically put the whole thing together himself from interviews to editing to everything. I was too young at the time to really follow what was going on with the 6ers in the 80's so it was great to have it all put together in an entertaining 2 hour package.

Kudos to Coopz for getting it done, can't wait for the 90's one now!

(mr magoriums hooporium - despite having the same initials it wasn't the regular Hoops poster LC who made the movie, it was Coopz)

Reply #312966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Beantown, you will also see Dean referred to as "Silver Fox" on here from time to time.

And to anyone reading magoriums post, LC referred to there is Lennon Cooper (Coopz on Hoops) and not the LC who posts the regular (and much appreciated) Australians Abroad updates.

Reply #312967 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Missed the show but got the DVD. Can't wait to see it. Don't tell me how it ends!

Reply #312968 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

That was a a great night, well done to all involved. Can't help but think it was a very good thing for the current Adelaide 36ers to witness that.

Very much looking forward to the 1990s version, hopefully the players can make themselves available for it.

Reply #312973 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I wasn't able to make it last night and too young to remember that era. But one day I look forward to getting a copy, viewing the footage and really appreciated this past greatness that people speak of fondly.

Reply #312990 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dean Parker and Lennon Cooper:

Reply #312995 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

The night was awesome and brought back alot of memories about Apollo and how much of a home court advantage we had and the lining up of tickets for hours ( although dont miss that side of things )and credit to the past and present 36ers who were very approachable to speak to as sometimes you go to other codes events and the players stick to themselves and cant be bothered mingling whereby all players were fantastic. Past players Davis was the standout and of the current crop Eddie Shannon is not only an inspiration but a top bloke to speak to. Class Act !. Well done 36ers and LC for making it happen. Night will be remembered by all.

Reply #313008 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

Anyone get a spare copy they want to sell? Im from whyalla otherwise wouldve been there with bells on...

Reply #313028 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

If there are any copies for sale I would love to know. Was home with a sick kid and missed what sounds like a great night.

Reply #313034 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

it will be on sale next week thru the sixers it says on facebook

Reply #313044 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Is the 90s film already in production? Any idea of when that is going to be released? (I would assume in the next 12-18 months).

Reply #313058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be really keen on the 90's one. The back-to-back championships in 98 & 99 plus the GF in 94.

Reply #313061 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

From The Official Adelaide 36ers Facebook

Due to overwhelming demand, the DVD will be released NEXT WEEK! Stay tuned for details on how to get a copy!

Reply #313062 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but what happened to Bill Jones?

Reply #313092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Career wise or Now?

Boti explained in the doco that after a disappointing finish in 87, Gary Fox moved him on in his 2nd year as coach. I believe he went to Newcastle to be with Ken Cole, and was later joined Al Green. Darryl's 48pt game was against Ken and Bill.

After his career he decided to stay in Newcastle, where he still lives to this day. (I think)

Reply #313118 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Yeah, Bill's still around in Australia but couldn't say for sure where. Need to start another Cecil Exum thread (who by coincidence, I bumped into in Melbourne two weeks ago and I so wanted to ask him about Andrew Gaze's dunk but I just couldn't work out a way to bring up the subject but I digress).

Outstanding night from the 36ers, Lennon Cooper, and the players present. Would've liked to have seen the current and past players together more - they appeared to be separate? - and would've like to have seen more of the past players there (there were many that should've/could've been available that weren't there) ..... but those few little things aside, it was an absolutely outstanding night and those who weren't there really missed something special.

Reply #313170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Spear was in Darwin.

Peter Ali had work commitments.

Phil had prior commitments

Darryl and Bill live interstate

I think pretty much everyone that was available did attend.

what about sexton and kubank? didn't see them.

Agree with the division. Would've been great to see them mingle with each other. Maybe the new players didn't want to be reminded of the heritage they are currently tarnishing...

Reply #313281 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

There's more guys that could've been there than that. Ricky Noack, Karl Luke (a starter who didn't rate a mention all night), Mark Sykes and all the pre-merger players too. Thought Wayne McDaniel and David Winslow could've got a gig somewhere, along with Ken Richardson ..... damn I'm old.

Reply #313293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loved the dvd.

Saw disc 2 last night.

Just wondering why Phil was on it considering he had nothing to do with adelaide during the golden era.

The stories he was telling seemed to be a bit far fetched too..

Reply #313491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got the impression Phil was on it solely as the "nemesis" during the 88 finals series.

Im sure if JC, Leroy or Cal Bruton lived in Adelaide, they would've been in it, in the same role i thought.

Reply #313503 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754