supporter
Years ago

Junior Girls winter team nominations

When you look through the number of teams that have nominated for the winter season, clearly junior girls basketball in not in a good position.

Hopefully Basketball SA is working with the clubs that have less than 12 girls teams to promote basketball in these areas.

Centrals 7
Mavs 8
F/Ville 21
North 12
Norwood 17
West 12
South 9
Sturt 19
W/Ville 6
Tigers 12

Topic #25272 | Report this topic

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

The teams are supposed to be reducing as they should be playing in their associations now not in the District competition.

Bahahaha!!!!

Reply #313076 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

This is surely a major concern for BSA- how do teams number compare to previous years -
what are numbers like in under 23 - as hope this competition is attracting / retaining numbers.
Neeed to find out why numbers are dropping
is it simply poor club management seems some clubs are flying or is trend a biggeer picture issue and basketball needs to be reinvented - i suspect combination of both and with lightning on the decline womens basketball is not on the A list for aspiring young women athletes
more neds to be done but some clubs are hot to be accountavble for its laughable to have less then 12 teams as a bear minumum
Get off your butts and work harder and dev programs

Reply #313097 | Report this post

Pug  
Years ago

Wont matter in the future how many U23 teams they have, because they wont have any junior coming into the comp.
Looks like it is about to all fall apart at the U10/12 level for girls. Then slowly move up.

Reply #313107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville in particular has no girl's program now with very poor quality teams and coaches and has gone down hill fast coincidentally since it fired Willie.

Reply #313126 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Woodville girls program is deplorable considering it was at one stage producing quality juniors to support the ABA program. Focus was very much on juniors but for some reason the wheels have come off.
With work sure the program wil be restored as need all clubs to grow. Not sure if Willie is a factor or just coincidental but cant be loosing coaches as such a rate and thenplayers - but looking beyond that its the demographics of clubs in western areas strangling each other rather than coaches.Need association model up and going to draw interest, expertise exists.

Reply #313128 | Report this post

whilst you talk numbers - I would like to say the standard would seem to me to be around the mark of previous years.

u18 girls div 3 is one that has always been around that is not present, div 3 some years has been a large comp.

u16 and u14s have enough to div 4 - which is about right.

unsure on u12s - but they usually have enough for a div 3 comp and some years div 4.

u10s - 2 div comp - so that seems the same.

Reply #313130 | Report this post

Years ago

when looking at the north western suburbs you should add -

woodville
west
western magic

then compare to say 5 and 10 years ago to what just woodville and west had pre magic.

I think if you add western's teams in the current numbers would be around the same.

Some of the better enrolment years I can recall Woodville having around 3 girls teams per grade and west the same

Reply #313132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's supposed to be a district comp though and woodville have an U 14 Div 1 group that haven't won a game in summer and no U12 Div 1, only a 12 div 2 which was also rock bottom which means there is no development, quality or improvement likely.How can the woody girls be held up as district standard, why are they there competition wise and why do parents pay for it?

Reply #313140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South will find it hard soon as they are losing lots of there girls lost three u23 girl within a week. problems there i think.

Reply #313153 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Woodvilles demise in the girls program is entirely their fault they could have united with magic and had some hot teams-now just boo hoo.

Reply #313161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously who would want to merge with Magic? An average club. Apart from Woodville's 12s, they are going along better than some.

Reply #313166 | Report this post

Years ago

u12g2 is short some teams - that used to be a 12 team comp - now down to 7 - but it was restricted to 10 clubs (no 2nd team) from this season.

u12g3 - has 9 teams so that is missing 1 or 2 teams - i have seen that comp with 10-12 teams previously.

so the u12 numbers are down a little bit

Reply #313169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West had good under 14/16/18 guys teams,but with a few that came over from western the difference has been huge.As for who would want to merge with magic just look at the under 14 girls team they are better than warriors1 and bearcats2 so get your facts straight people.

Reply #313249 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There has, and probably will be, a smaller number of girls teams compared to boys teams. On average the number of girls teams per club is 12.3. Some posters above call for 12 teams to be the minimum for a club. I agree that twelve is a good aim, although a minimum if 8 is probably more realistic for some. Having access to a good number of kids is the key as it is the depth that determines a club's strength. This may not mean having a high number of teams at a club, but rather forming strategic alliances with social comps.

Forestville, Sturt and Norwood are over this average number so obviously there are a lot of girls living around Wayville, Pasadena and Marden who are playing basketball.

So let's go through it Div by Div. U10 kids are born in 2002 and 2003. The youngest is 7 and oldest just turned 9. They're in year 2 and 3! Let's face it, for the inner metro clubs, it's pretty easy to drive 10 mins from one suburb to another on a Saturday morning. It's a lot harder for some of the outer city clubs, particularly those who draw from country areas. Mavs who draw a lot of players from Murray Bridge have to drive an hour just to get to the toll gate means playing an 8:30 am game at Port Adelaide is an early start from the farm. Similarly, if you live in a northern area and play for Centrals or a Victor Harbor girl playing for Tigers, to get to Port Adelaide for an 8:30 game is pretty tough.

Therefore, the cynic in me says that inner city clubs should have girls teams in U10, but why would clubs like Mavs, Centrals and Southern bother at this level.

For U12, U14, and U16, it's a bit different. Each club would want to have at least 3 teams here. Div 1 for the best and top age, Div 2 for the lower age, then at least one team in the Div 3 for those starting out and those still picking it up. But then again, why would you want to play Div 3 when you could play social for half the cost at the same standard?

For Mavs and Centrals, why would you bother even putting in a Div 3 team when BSA refuse to schedule a home game at your stadium? At least BSA schedule games at the Vale, so coming from Strath or Victor or Willunga is comfortable. If you live at Murray Bridge and are in the Mavs U16 boys Div 3 team playing Port Adelaide on a Thursday night at 6 pm - you get picked up from school and drive straight down, affecting your studies - why bother?

For U18 (currently 94 and 95) most kids are in year 11 or year 10. Year 11 is the start of SACE nowadays and kids need to do some sport, but you could expect that some girls might want to concentrate on their studies in year 11, so I would expect some drop off.

So, in U18 I would say each club should aim for 2 teams rather than 3.

I would say for an inner city club (Forestville, Sturt, South, West, Woodville, North, Norwood) then the minimum number of teams should be:
U10 (2 teams), U12-U16 (3 teams), U18 (2 teams): Total 13 teams
For the outer city teams:
U10 (0), U12-U16 (2 unless BSA schedule home games), U18 (2): Total 8

Therefore, I would suggest that based on numbers, Forestville, Sturt, Norwood and Tigers have more teams than expected, Mavs, West, North and Centrals have about enough teams, and South and Woodville need some help to work on lifting numbers.

Reply #313301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754