Steve cairns
Years ago

Cairns Taipans - We made it

It's a huge thing for Cairns to make the finals on the back of overtime win over Perth.
Not bad from a side not rated by many. Good team ball.

Topic #25278 | Report this topic

cpark59  
Years ago

Great game, I've nearly lost my voice.

The refs were terrible, Weigh was fouled shooting 3 on the buzzer but they didn't even look at it.

Reply #313305 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Well done Snakes!! Huge win again!! Breakers might get nervous if they come to town

Reply #313308 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i went to the game tonight.........not sure who the ref with the black hair is but someone who hires these refs needs to take a long hard look at that entire game over again.
there were so many blatant wrong decisions for both sides that it wasn't funny........actually, it was funny, particulary that last no call.

once again cairns should have put perth away but they keep finding ways to help the opposition get a sniff!!

Reply #313311 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

good on ya cairns I do hope you guys can go all the way however you just dont know how to win away. I mean you have done better away than the team I support, but that might be the only thing that lets you down

Reply #313313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns made the playoffs, the almighty ADELAIDE 36ERS did NOT! Take some serious note SOS, do not drop the ball on recruiting again. Dorsey, Ubaka or Loughton were very solid players that if one was at the 6ers would have made us competitive, not reliant on youngsters and has beens. Oh and Balls everyones most loved and hated in one.

Reply #313319 | Report this post

KDog  
Years ago

Well Done Cairns! Crocs lock up Second place and home court advantage. Lets hope for a Crocs vs Taipans finals match up, that will be epic and great for NQ. Go Crocs!!

Reply #313320 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Be ready for the flood of money for Cairns to beat T'ville on Friday night.
Word is out from T'ville that they will lose this game to send Perth To NZ and have the easier option of beating Cairns in the semi.

You heard it here,save up and get on Cairns....

Reply #313328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Plus minus from Cairns vs Perth:

Cairns

Phill Jones (19)
Alex Loughton (8)
Ayinde Ubaka (7)
Aaron Grabau (7)
Dusty Rychart (6)
Ron Dorsey (3)
Lindsay Tait (-4)
Ian Crosswhite (-4)
Dean Brebner (-11)
Daniel Dillon (-16)

Perth

Damian Martin (11)
Jeremiah Trueman (11)
Cameron Tovey (9)
Kevin Lisch (8)
Drew Williamson (-4)
Matthew Knight (-5)
Andre Brown (-6)
Jesse Wagstaff (-6)
Brad Robbins (-15)
Stephen Weigh (-18)

Reply #313337 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Simon, are you saying the Crocs have discussed and decided to deliberately lose to Cairns?

Reply #313340 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

I for one will have money on Cairns in the final round.

Imagine the reaction from Perth.

Reply #313344 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Being a Perth supporter, I would rather play NZ in semis than Crocs anyway. Crocs have finished the season strong and NZ seem to be on the verge of throwing it all away.

Plus if true, Crocs throwing a big end of season game just so they dont need to play Wildcats in the semis kind of proves they think that Perth are the biggest threat in the finals, thanks for the props!

Reply #313347 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac the +/- is very interesting. Dillon & Weigh seemed to rule each other out as does Robbins & Brebner. Phil Jones is on a mission!!

Simon a lot of people will waste a lot of money listening to you...

Reply #313366 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Crocs deliberately losing to Cairns???

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #313370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, season +/- for Cairns:

Alex Loughton (+78)
Ron Dorsey (+77)
Ian Crosswhite (+64)
Ayinde Ubaka (+42)
Phill Jones (+31)
Daniel Dillon (+30)
Aaron Grabau (+20)
Gareth Dawson (+5)
James Mitchell (+1)
Lindsay Tait (0)
Dusty Rychart (-11)
Dean Brebner (-22)

And Perth:

Kevin Lisch (+147)
Cameron Tovey (+146)
Shawn Redhage (+139)
Matthew Knight (+129)
Damian Martin (+126)
Brad Robbins (+78)
Drew Williamson (+43)
Jeremiah Trueman (+41)
Ater Majok (+24)
Stephen Weigh (+20)
Jesse Wagstaff (+18)
Jarrod Balcombe (+16)
Andre Brown (+10)
Jarrad Prior (+1)
Greg Hire (-3)

Reply #313400 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

dj rod- do you know yet if crocs have got a full squad this week or do they have a few "pulled up sore - precaution" noises coming out of
camp.........wink wink nudge nudge!!

seriously though,if cairns(or anyone else) was in that same situation 'precautions' would be taken.

cairns have done their city proud this season....they have left everything on the court.
a gutsy effort,and about the only positive thing cairns city council(guarantour) have done so far.

hats off to FNQ basketball with 2 teams in the finals.
if cairns fails i will be behind townsville

Reply #313436 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anyone but Perth...

Reply #313454 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Perfect opp, for Trev to REST some players & play his 2nd tier - but try to win! If they don't however, so be it!! Deliberately lose - no way!!!

Reply #313455 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

momentum into the playoffs, confidence & that winning feeling - NO CHANCE we are throwing this game!

The Crocs feel like they can and will beat ANY opponent no matter where they have to play!!!

Reply #313472 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think momentum is important and it's a big risk messing with form. The 36ers under Smyth, from memory, did the latter to get a more suitable finals run and it burnt them. Did it also involve Cairns? Can't remember for sure.

But the advantages here are pretty compelling. If Townsville lose, then they have very minimal travel time in playing Cairns first up. Meanwhile, the top threat in NZ gets pummeled by physical Perth and both those teams are flying an imperial firkin of hours for the privilege. If either team emerges from that without injuries, I'd be surprised.

So, Townsville won't "really" care about the result (e.g., on paper, it suits them to lose), while the Taipans would prefer to win and also get shorter travel distances in their first series, plus avoid New Zealand. Will be interesting to see the odds. Cairns to beat the line could be worth looking at.

I could see the Crocs going easy on Schenscher and a couple of others?

Reply #313481 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't see a problem with Townsville or any other team for that matter choosing to lose a game. Its not because they deliberately want to lose but a stategic move to win the one that really matters. If it takes the loss of one game to increase the chance of winning in the end, then its not deliberately losing but deliberately winning.

skull

a gutsy effort,and about the only positive thing cairns city council(guarantour) have done so far.
I ordered 2 wheelie bins a month ago from the Cairns Council and they delivered them within 24 hours. I thought that was pretty positive.

Reply #313530 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

correction "strategic"

Reply #313531 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I think sportsbet would disagree EC!

Reply #313548 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That's true orbit but I doubt the teams would be thinking first about the money that can be made from betting.

Reply #313551 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

EC - you obviously live with-in cairns......you won't find that kind of service if you live north of cairns!!

Reply #313555 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Easy $6000 picked up as I told you...............

Reply #314100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Simon, did you go for the head-to-head, line or something else?

Reply #314110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754