Red
Years ago

Cattalini Comments on 36ers

Martin Cattalini was just on 91.3 SportFM in Perth and made the comments that this years Adelaide 36ers team was the worst team to ever put on a 36ers uniform.
He also said he believes there will be a big clean out & it should start at the top, as in the front office.
He thinks the only two which should be safe are the coaches Clarke & Radford.

Interesting from a 36ers champion

Topic #25293 | Report this topic

Fizzle  
Years ago

Cat still gets my vote after all these years. Doesnt pussy foot around the situation. No freakin way this team was ever going to do any good! Thankyou Cat, good to see someone outside the same old fan base that posts on here backing up the facts.

Reply #313529 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

He thinks the only two which should be safe are the coaches Clarke & Radford.

If they are the only 2 who should be safe, then they are not safe at all. Without the owners, no one is safe.

Reply #313533 | Report this post

Hogwash 26  
Years ago

Brett Maher made similar comments this morning on Triple M

Reply #313534 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Funny that Cat & Brett made 'similar' comments.
Did they mention that you should drop into Muzz Buzz for a coffee?

Reply #313539 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Language...)

Reply #313540 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

l bet the coffee is about as good as him .taste like shit. MAHER should know better you need a team and game plan tp be successful both in sport and in life this team had no plan other than if we . well if my aunty had balls she would have been my uncle. and as far as we goes well we stunk end of story

Reply #313541 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Any chance that the last 2 'comments' came from same "Rocket Scientist"?

Reply #313543 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

If the posts correctly represent the statements allegedly made by both former players then I have no doubt Boti will follow up both and put a story in print.

Reply #313546 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Sounds like Cat is getting his mail from Radford who was an assistant at which club last year? Oh yeah - Perth! Reeks of bollocks...

Reply #313547 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Dear Mr Cattalini ; The remarks you made about about our team , the Adelaide 36ers ,are not credible , as you had no reason to know that American Import , Troy Devries was injured pre-season , played for 8 weeks with an injury that wasn't going to get better.
As far as I can figure it, 4 players were brought in without a pre-season and felt you had insulted them.
Nathan Herbert was injured pre-season and re-placed by Mitch Creek who at 18years was injured, which you seem to have ignored altogether.
It would seem to me that you did it unconscionably,
for by so doing you have caused several fans to riposte that they would keep some of the players and get rid of the coaches.

Reply #313553 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Nah id say at 9 wins, Cat has made a good point, the players are on notice, and what has Richard Hill done lately? Infact what does he do now within the team?

And for all the agro over his comments, no one has denied that this the WORST 36er team ever. Just as he was as a championship player with the 6ers, Cat still get under peoples noses and i Love it.

Reply #313559 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Always classy when an ex player comes out and bags the current team and an organization that did plenty for them in their career.

Reply #313561 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

Well, if they lose tonight they statistically will be the worst Sixers team of all time. Yep, a full percentage point worse than that horrid 2007 team.

If they win, they tie the second worst Sixers team of all time. Yep, they'll tie last years team.

But either way, I'd have to agree with Cat. The Sixers have been painful to watch for the last 5 years. But as ugly as its got, this team would certainly be the least watchable of the bunch. I mean, its been excruciating at times.

The shocking win/loss record, puzzling rotations, utterly inept offense combined with the fact the team cycled through four imports for the first time in club history with not a keeper amongst them. Sounds very much like the worst Sixers team of all time.

In about 12 hours the entire season will just be a memory. Thankfully.

Reply #313564 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

I think Catt has every right to make a comment. He left a legacy in Adelaide, being part of 2 championship winning teams and bringing some glory to the club, only to see that glory get shattered by the worst teams ever.

Funny that Catt making the comments is annoying people, yet Maher makes the same comments, and all is fine.

Reply #313566 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

>>What has Richard Hill done lately?

Sunk a whole lot of money into buying a team so that you can bitch about it.

Reply #313567 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I love how it's a simple comment that one individual is making and suddenly there's a backlash. Whereas there are several dozen threads about ditching players left, right and centre on this forum and there's at least some sort of "discussion" about the thought.

I do happen to agree that there will be a big review of the club as a whole at seasons end as has been mentioned already; I don't think that there will be as massive "cleanout" as some people think. I think it will be more of a case of finding the right combination with the existing talent and filling in the blanks around that core combo.

Reply #313568 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Murray - different organisation running the team to when Cattalini played for the Sixers.

Like most people posting here, I didn;t hear what was said, how it was said and what line of questioning led to the comments by cattalini. Nonetheless, he seems to have mostly echoed what others have said. i.e., this is the worst performed Sixers team on record; the coaches are signed for 2 more years and it's been reported that SOS are happy for them to continue next year; Clarke has made it clear that he wants to sign new "top line" players and hasn't publicly guaranteed anyone a spot for next year.

The only newish comment is about cleaning out "starting at the top...as in the front office". I'd be interested in what that means. But front office isn't ownership, it's operational staff. Anyone know what that's about?

Reply #313572 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Bit harsh to say the owners need to go IMO when they are sinking there hard arned into the company. Unless you are perepared to put your money on the line it is pretty hard to go down that path

Reply #313573 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I'd sack Clarke. He should have only had a 1 year deal with an option - i now wouldn't exercise the option. Unfortunately you have to pay him out now which sucks as you have no cash. Coaches with experience would save the day now - Stacker, Tomlinson, Choco, Black or even Molloy are out there & know how to play this situation. Some of you 6er fans will cringe at some of these names but look where an inexpeienced coach got you! Bite the bullet & start again!!!

Reply #313574 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, I took it to mean operations staff rather than the actual ownership group. Right now, Richard Hill is in both those camps, but need not be - e.g., stood down as an assistant coach previously. Could remain an owner or silent partner without having a direct hand in team operations if need be.

orbit, we had a very, very experienced coach in Smyth and that got us similar results at the end of his tenure. The results were also average for Ninnis and now poor for Clarke. I don't think that the team can afford to look back in three years time at a trail of more discarded coaches to think "Wait, maybe it's not the coaches."

Reply #313575 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Just in regards to the SOS group, just because you "sink" money into it doesn't mean you know how to run a basketball club. Yes all of these guys have had some sort of success to a point in running there own business but if I owned and ran a successful basketball club and went and bought a medical centre it wouldn't mean I would know what i'm doing and it doesn't mean instant success!
I can understand from their point of view that if they take on roles they may save some money, but is it perhaps worth their while to look at appointing someone who has had success already in running a sporting club?
Even though these guys sometimes come across as idiots I can't question their passion for the club and that is great but sometimes it gets in the way of reality...

Reply #313580 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

And my guess is Cattalini would have a pretty good idea as to what goes on behind closed doors at the club. With the people he keeps company with he would know quite a few things that the normal public wouldn't and he is in a position to say something without hurting relationships compared to someone like Maher if he was to be outspoken as much as what Cat has.

Reply #313581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, I think those things mostly apply to team-facing positions (operations, recruiting, negotiating contracts, etc) and not so much to marketing, surely?

In this case, we're not talking about the success of the club in terms of crowds, or public awareness, or ability to service ticket requests, etc - just the on-court performances.

Reply #313584 | Report this post

chewbacca  
Years ago

Cattalini should probably focus on his own struggling business rather than pot shooting others

Reply #313588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone got more about the comments?when he said top down did he mean the owners or like team captain??

Reply #313589 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Panther32 because you 'sink' money into it doesn't mean you know how to run a club - totally agree mate. All I am saying in my above post is that Cats comments sounded harsh.

I am sure any owner would like to be in a position to recruit the best baskeball GM in the country and surround him with a top marketing managing; recruiter etc etc but the it is not realistic.

Look at Port Adelaide FC - they hired a top NAB executive with proven business background who also is a passionate fan. During his time in the role we made a Grand Final and still struggled financially and off the field. Teh AFL & SANFL have had to bail the club out.

If you actually dig a bit deeper the problem existis across most 2nd tier sports (NRL, A-League etc) in this country that clubs are struggling financially regardless.

Reply #313592 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

90% of pro sports teams drop cash. The NBA is reported to have lost 370 mill as a league which is triggering the lock out. On field success doesn't equate to financial success or stability. Only a few AFL clubs make money even with the massive TV deal they have and all the corporate dollars. the clubs that do make money in the AFL don't participate in football alone, they have other income streams that pay for the football. A League is floundering too.

Reply #313596 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Although this has been probably the worst season the 36ers have had, i still think they are better placed than what they where this time last year, they do need to make some pretty major player changes, but i wouldnt neccesarily get rid of all of our players either.

I think we are better off than last year because:
- we have some good young talent and the best 2 u/24s which will hopefully develop into very good players in the near future.

- Some of our good young players such as Bruce, Carter, Hill, Holmes, Herbert, are still worth considering keeping off the bench and are pretty decent players and all under 30. Better than some of our teams when the bench was full of older guys.

- we have an assistant boomers coach which will hopefully help with recruiting guys like Gibson and he by all reports has a good raport with many top aussie players from his AIS days so that may also help with recruiting, and if he tracks them and brings the top ones back from college successfully ala Gorj used to that could lead to alot of young talent coming through the 36ers, something our previous coaches were bagged for, Clarke hasnt pulled it off yet, but if he can grab a Gibson and say a top young college/europe returnee aswell, it would be grat signs for the next year and future.

- Clarke also has some other similar attributes to Gorj (not that i was a fan of Gorj, many 36ers fans would want Gorj right now with his record) but both are very stubborn, too robotic/slow/structured offensively at times, and have defensive mindsets. Clarke also seems to look at and keep a track of all the young guys and has recruited 2 of the best in the league, another thing Gorj was good at. Hopefully this will eventually lead to some of the success Gorj had, remember Gorj won his titles over 20 odd years, im sure his first couple of years were not so much better either. So given that along with his AIS experience and rep and he seems to be one of the best teachers of the game in the league, so i think all that combined will make Clarke a good nbl coach in the next few years we just have to be a bit patient and let him learn a few lessons.

I would hate us to sack Clarke say he gets a job elsewhere and takes say Creek, Johnson who develop into stars, and brings Gibson and another top young(ish) player into his program and develops one of the strongest programs around, ie the new Gorj, some may say it wont happen, but i think its a reasonable chance it will so i want the club to be patient with Clarke and see what he does over the next 2 years before making a final judgement. I know Cattalini backed Clarke, but many fans dont.

With the management, who else is really proven to be better? as many have said we dont have the budget of the Cattalini championship team, so i dont neccisarily think its poor management as such, we just have to build a more Wollongong/Cairns/townsville style program, of developing a hardworking young team, who build through recruiting and retaining the best young talent they can get, even gamble on a few like Wol did with Trigger, maybe ours is Johnson, as they dont have the NZ/Perth type budget to simply buy all the top talent like we did in the early Smyth days. And hey it can work Wol made last years GF and Cai and Tow are in the playoffs this year, all have ahd tough times just need a bit of patience.

Reply #313600 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Jonno the "budget" of the Cattalini championship team was the SA taxpayers - the state government ended up writing off a bit of money from memory

Reply #313602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac get of the fence and say what you feel is it hard for you to state what clarke has shown this year that gives fans an fleas dick hope of being sucessful .firstly with his game plan then his team plan and maybe what his plans are for the players?.as far as cats comments go its easy to talk shit when you get carried in a team of champions!.

Reply #313604 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I heard Cattalini is actually Dunkin Dan.

Reply #313605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cattallini tells us this is the worst team in history.
He also tells us the only people that should stay is the coaches.
Does anyone else see a problem with this, or is he actually saying that the coaches had no input to team selection.

Reply #313606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, that's a false dichotomy. It's possible (as one other option) that players were not capable of doing what the coaches expected.

Reply #313609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

every body knows the problem is and will be the same next year and for the 1 after , the coaches have no idea on how to put a team plan in action either that or the players are so stupid that no one can follow the coaches instructions. as for cat maybe he is bum licking the coaches to get a job who knows

Reply #313610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

once again you have not explained what benifit the players have had from the coaches .WHO has improved WHO has made a statement and said look at me the answer NO ONE !! .lets not go down the path these guys are young or are learning . the old saying before you can teach a dog a new trick you must know more than the dog is so real in this case .because no one learnt anything . please prove me wrong and l will applogise in a second.if not just say so .stop swinging like a leaf

Reply #313611 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hi anon, are you talking to me? I think you're arguing a completely different point.

Reply #313612 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@anon Daniel Johnson had career high in points and rebounds under Clarke. This was a kid who was basically glued to the tigers bench under Westover.

Ballinger lead the league in blocks for the first time

the 36ers beat the defending champs 3/4 times ( when was the last time we owned the defending champs who may yet repeat this season)

Clarke was solely responsible for the signing of the best kid in Australia " as soon as Marty became the head coach here , i knew i was going to be a 36er."

Radford chose to leave a winning program to be here and work with Marty, what does that tell you about both of them.

Carter came to the 36ers because of Clarke, Johnson and Bruce too. All names that posters suggest are a great nucleus to build around

Reply #313613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've got to spend money to make money. Spend a bit of money on the roster instead of dishing up cheap tripe and things might be different next season.

I said this after the joke that was last season too so we'll see if they've learnt that lesson yet or just continue dishing up a crap team and expect all the fans to keep turning up.

Reply #313618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@kb3 ok lets look at your break down of the 3 best young kids in the land playing for the 6ers putting the 3 players stats for the year make for nothing more than a horror movie combined points 23.8 combined assit 6.7 combined rebounds 7.8 thats the hard truth about not winning games .you can have the best in the world if you can not teach them game plans or team plans you fail and in this case the coaches have failed in my opinion .further more carter 36from 113 attempts 3 points.look at the stats of the players s you bragged about .sa far as stating the facts that clarke soley was responsible for the signing of mitch creek unless you were present when this happened dont asume things because the owners pay his wage not the coach .as for radford do you know for a fact that he had a contract for this year or again are we to believe that a pidgeon told you and yes he failed as a assitant as did the team .

Reply #313621 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Good post KB3. Glad someone sees the positives.

Reply #313622 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@anon some quick maths for you
Carter , Creek and Johnson currently represent 32% of the squads scoring

Of the team that will hit the floor tonight that changes to 40% when Ballinger's 15.3 ppg is taken out.

I am pretty happy to see that and am very confident that it will get better and better. DJ will be a force, Rhys will find his outside shot and Creek will get one.

It is relevant to that those 3 produce 1/3 of our scoring in some what limited minutes( how many have complained about DJ's court time on here)

That quote was from Mitch so pretty sure he is familiar with how he ended up here

Reply #313623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kb3 and a 3 legged horse might win the adelaide cup one day. thats about as much chance this team has of being great its hard to fly like an eagle when your coached by geese !!!! fact

Reply #313627 | Report this post

Kb3  
Years ago

And you have coached who exactly?

Reply #313628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, the team hasn't flown like an eagle for the last x years including under two different coaches prior to Marty. One goose was last year's championship assistant, BTW.

Reply #313630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@kb3 at what stage did l state that l was a coach ? then l have coached pro sport and have my name on more honour boards than you will ever have FACT not fiction .have l the right to express my point you bet as some one who buys 6ers gear shirts polo tops and loves to see GOOD ball played yes l have a right .BY the way you coached which team.

Reply #313636 | Report this post

Kb3  
Years ago

I am not the one slagging off the coaches.

You should be very proud of yourself

Reply #313637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac look at the coaches last year he had no interest and it showed so the players play the same .under phil the team was atleast showing some signs of trying .this guy picked his imports what ajoke that turned out did not want luke what a joke that turned out .picked a lot of kids well enough said .again isaac what has the coaching teamdown please dont blow in the wind state facts of improvement just one plan or play?

Reply #313638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree last coach lacked effort. Disagree that Smyth's final teams showed real effort - they were not known for that at all. I think this year's team is working harder and is more persistent on court. I saw them up close in NSW on two road games the other weekend and they were trying hard no matter the margin, but after injuries and additions the mix has been wrong. I can see the reasoning behind a couple of the import selections, but one was wrong and the other was bad/lazy. Another was a reasonable choice but injured and the last one left hasn't been awful, just not brilliant. No one would disagree that the club needs to send the coach OS to scout next time. The Schenscher situation is complicated and I have commented on it many times already.

I just don't see the point loading up such vitriolic criticism (not just talking about you) on this year's coaches when the critical issues with the team have been common to each recent year. I would hope that they've seen enough to know what they need to now fix.

Reply #313650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well bugger me at last what l have wanted you to do and yes l agree with your comments . now have we learnt from all the mistakes yes or no in my opinion no .

Reply #313667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@kb3 GJ outstanding for half a game did the other three of you so called golden players play tonight ?oops they did no more to say let the stats say it all by the way carter more t/o than points WOW

Reply #313669 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

i have a rule to never argue with an idiot as it just creates 2

Reply #313673 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Smyth & Breheny ended up looking like the 2 oldies in the muppets in the theatre. They sat there & chatted & showed little emotion. That strategy worked for a while but i think they got out coached towards the end by more defensive coaches (Goorgian) & had no answers. Theres a fine line between being too slack & too strict. I hate being negative but i really dont think Clarke has got it - hope i'm wrong for your lots sake!

Reply #313676 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Jonno

I think we are better off than last year because:
- we have some good young talent and the best 2 u/24s which will hopefully develop into very good players in the near future.
It means absolutely nothing unless they stay with the 36ers when they are at their peak. Also, Clarke does not have to hold Creek's and Johnson's hand to take them elsewhere if we sack him because these 2 are quite capable of going on their own. I also question his involvement with the Boomers team and how that is going to give him any special consideration from top players like Gibson and other Boomers.

Let's talk about Johnson for a start. I would imagine that he would feel cheated right now after his performances in the last 3 games considering he was not given much opportunity for most of the season. Its more like this coach has failed him rather than attracting him to stay with him. If Clarke did not have enough confidence in him until 3 games ago (only out of necessity with Ballinger's injury), what would make Johnson want to stay with him.

Reply #313677 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KB3, try this saying, Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.

Reply #313678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ec this comes from an expert idiot such as your self in that case l have no more to say to you or kb3

Reply #313681 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I said nothing new there that I haven't said before many times on this forum.

Reply #313683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cat is clearly of the view having a players dad in the front office compromises the running of the team

Reply #314107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754