Isaac
Years ago

Gibson to test market away from Blaze

Gibson is one of the few free agents on the Blaze's list, with the club having re-signed most of its Australian contingent for next year.

And he has the club's blessing to put his future on hold until the end of the season, when other clubs become able to negotiate with free agents.

"Obviously I want to wait and test out every possible option," Gibson said.

"There's a lot of teams that have import guards and they might want to have a look at having an Australian point guard.

"I definitely want to wait and see what options I have and I'll go from there.

"The Blaze have been good as far as letting me wait (and test the waters). They want me back and I've loved my time here and the team's looking good for next year, so we'll see what happens."
Full article

Last bit here could be problematic for Adelaide if he's serious about that:
"It is a business and I have to look out for myself in that respect, so that's what I'm going to do," he said. "I'm going to make sure I get the best for myself but I want to be on the best team as well."
The NBL teams with import starting points: Townsville (Blalock), Adelaide (Shannon), Wollongong (Ervin), Cairns (Ubaka). New Zealand have Henare retiring and could keep Braswell, start Bruton or try and grab him. Sydney don't have an import PG but could be interested. Wollongong are looking to keep Ervin and Townsville may prefer to retain Blalock if they can. Perth would obviously aim to hold on to Martin and Robbins, though could lose Lisch. Looks like the right time for him to call in offers.

Topic #25307 | Report this topic

Coopz  
Years ago

This adds fuel to marty's attempt at getting the "Best Australian PG available" speculation.

Hopefully sixers can secure someone of Gibbo's calibre. That is a great building block to start next season with.

Reply #313779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand.

In the end it will come down to dollars and the Breakers will beat any offer from Australian based clubs.

Reply #313784 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

well looks like we wont be landing gibbo on that comment. i wonder which 4 imports we will get next year.

Reply #313785 | Report this post

Blazin 1 up  
Years ago

Gibbo is using other teams to bid himself up at the Blaze..... But you never know what might pop up...

For personal development he would be wise to go to Crocks, Wildcheats, Whoreks.

To earn bigger $$$ go to Lie-gers, cap-Breakers.

To be the franchise big dawg, captain and all round saviour go to oncewere-Kings, 36-isnowourwinloss%-ers.

For continued party opportunities stay at Blazin-away, Taipans@gilligansniteclub.

A quality Aussie PG is a huge addition to any team. Young guy will be very sought after for sure!

Reply #313791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Best Team necessarily means he wants to go to whoever wins the C.....it could mean a number of things? It could mean the best team for him, the best team for him to show his value etc...

I'd say Marty being the assistant boomers coach wouldnt hurt our chances but where he ends up is anyones guess at the moment.

Reply #313792 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

NZBREAKERS LEMANIS

Reply #313797 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

so realistically i would say that the adelaide coaches had already spoke to gibbo with regard to perhaps signing him..

Gibson should certainly test the market...exceptional player and an Australian to boot...

Reply #313800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did we get 'NZ is cheating the cap' from?

They have Penney, two imports (good players, not exactly highly paid super talents though).

CJ Bruton is old and not that great anymore, Henare they've had for years, Boucher for years, Pledger is a young guy they've developed and Abercrombie has been with them and developed with them for years.

They've essentially just been smart in their import choices, developed a couple of players they've had for years nicely and got a good chemistry with their roll players. (Most of them play together on the NZ National team)

Cheating the salary cap? Doubt it. Give them credit where it's due for keeping some players over the years and making small tweaks each year. They have the benefits of chemistry because of it, and it doesn't hurt to have Penney either, he's like their version of Brett Maher

Reply #313806 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

I can't see why everybody is so high on Gibbo. He's reportedly the heart of the party lifestyle on the Coast, has been point guard of an under-achieving team on the Coast and has been overtaken by Martin clearly.

He seems to have lost a step and is a streaky scorer.

Having talked down his price, I think he might well thrive under Marty with an emphasis on conditioning, a change of scenery and a coach that seems to want to develop players.

If I was a GM I'd certainly have him but wouldn't be paying top dollar for him.

Reply #313810 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Good points made ankles!

Reply #313816 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ankles, not sure how true it is, but I heard that he wanted to leave the Gold Coast because he hasn't been improving and wants to escape that lifestyle. Cue jokes about Adelaide being the right place to avoid a partying lifestyle...

Edit: Not to mention that, regardless of whether Martin has overtaken him, he's still one of the top point guards and is at least considering a move. I think that's why he's coming up in roster discussions.

Reply #313821 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is a good player but not a top notch one in this league. I agree with the assessment that he is an excellent pick up but not if you have to pay him top dollar.

He is a Boomer for his defensive abilities mostly, and would certainly improve Adelaide in that regard, but how well does he fill the team's other weaknesses? For the 36ers he must be part of an overall recruiting class, not the marquee signing.

Reply #313837 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

A good question for Sixers fans: If you could only spend money on Schenscher OR Gibson, which one do you go for?

DJ started to play like we all were hoping in the last couple of weeks and if he continues that, then there's probably not much value in bringing Schenscher in. But then again he's not proved he can stand up week in, week out yet and will Clarke, or the Sixers fans, survive another season of growing pains?

Gibbo would definitely be an upgrade and certainly addresses defensive and physical intensity concerns for the Sixers, but he doesn't really help improve our woeful outside shooting, or our lack of a good drive and dish guy.

Tough call, because neither is the perfect piece, but I think I would go with Gibbo, because DJ has the potential to be a star, whereas there is noone in our backcourt who looks to be more than a good role player right now.

Reply #313840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Given that we have Johnson already signed, and if the choice were between Schenscher and an import guard or Gibson and a spare import spot for elsewhere, probably Gibson. I prefer watching Luke play though.

Reply #313844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie boys stick together maybe,could the 6 ers be in the box seat. Go marty sign him up.I wonder if we would be in the race if previous coaches were still around.no chance!!!!

Reply #313851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I've heard both Gibson AND Schenscher are on the coaches wish list for next season

Reply #313852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

might see the blaze happy to let him go and run with cadee and Kendall next season and free up a spot for a scoring SG/SF import

I think if gibson is going to take his game to the next level he needs to play a season or two in europe

Reply #313858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think he would get a gig in a league better than the NBL as an import. He wont face guards better than Penney, Ervin, Martin, Bruton, Williams, Dickel, Crawford, Blalock, Braswell, Harvey etc in many leagues.

Reply #313859 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

i think we are gonna talk to Schenscher (Williams n Penney) - unlikely to come here.
Gibson most likely.

Reply #313862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Boti's article today:

"We have a wish list of players on the whiteboard and we know who we want to get."

The future of import point guard Eddie Shannon with the 36ers looks tenuous, an Australian point guard and big-man assistance high on the priority list.

Reply #313874 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

if ANON is right and both Schensch and Gibson are on the wishlist, id start getting much happier. i think that would probably limit us to one import for sure which isnt a bad thing.

Reply #313876 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I had heard that the money had dried up in the GC after spending it all on Wortho so that would have to be one reason Gibbo is shopping himself around.
Adelaide would be a good opportunity but may not be the playoff calibre team he is looking for.
I think NZ would have to be a good chance as he would be stepping into the best team, knows CJ, Boucher and Vukona quite well. The only down side is he would be living even further away from his missus.
Let's hope we can secure him, would be great for the side.

Reply #313900 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

"I'm going to make sure I get the best for myself but I want to be on the best team as well."

...might mean he is waiting to see what other moves happen. e.g. If 36ers got Schensch he might consider them to be a better team.

Reply #313904 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

as someone previously state, 'the best team' may not necessarily mean the team thats winning. there have been winning teams where players dont get along and that would not be a fun environment to work in. he may well mean he wants the best team that suits his needs.

Reply #313914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the fact his girlfriend lives in Melbourne. Could this be his way of expressing to the tigers that he wants to move to melbourne to be with her

Reply #313965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His GF has actually moved up to the Gold Coast recently and her family are from Sydney so he really could go anywhere.

Great position for him to be in really as he wont be rushed and can weigh up all the options and truly decide on the one that suits him best.

Reply #313967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'll end up in Sydney. They need an experienced PG, its the biggest market and he'll have a good 1-2 punch with Khazzouh.

Reply #313971 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Panther32

Adelaide would be a good opportunity but may not be the playoff calibre team he is looking for.

If the 366ers are not the calibre team he is looking for, they are not the calibre team that will be tolerated by the fans next season. We have all had a gutful of being cellar dwellers for 2 consecutive years. The club better put together a team next season that will satisfy Gibson's standard as the fans want nothing less.

Reply #313993 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Correct. The club will have to show signs of making serious moves to instill confidence in potential signings and fans.

Reply #314028 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

now with new boomers assistant coach(wtf?)36ers should be able to get some stability in their roster.

don't start me on the pre-requisites of getting a boomers coaching gig!!!
uh oh i've started....

ffs what is the message being sent to nbl coaches???

the message to nbl players is clear.....perform well in the nbl and you may be rewarded with a boomers gig/try out.
the message sent to nbl coaches is......huh! ya gotta what?? that don't make sense!! you have to do what to coach browns bottom??.....oh it's much clearer now !

Reply #314076 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754