Moral Citizen
Years ago

Liz Cambage being picky about WNBA destination

Read an article today about Liz Cambage, seen here.
Did anyone else reading that get the impression that Cambage is a selfish, spoiled brat??
How can you be a prospect for one of the best women's leagues in the world, be touted as a number 1 or 2 pick and then have the audacity to say 'I have no desire to play for your team, I want to play here instead'?? If Tulsa is willing to give her an opportunity and did their due diligence in flying out to Melbourne to spend time with her and watch her play etc, how is it right or not frowned upon in the media that she is being afforded a great opportunity, but wants it 'on her terms'?? Could we argue that by wishing to play for the LA Sparks that she is a 'frontrunner' and just wants the glitz and glamour and social status, rather than actually caring about being a basketball player. Having watched her in the SEABL Grand Final last year, this is clearly the case that she's all about 'me' and it sickens me that the media has turned her into a 'darling' which, when seeing her in person and reading between the lines, is 100% false.

Topic #25308 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Minnesota Lynx is tipped to take University of Connecticut star Maya Moore with the first pick of the draft, to be held at ESPN's Bristol headquarters, and Tulsa Shock to take Cambage as the second pick.

The only snag is Cambage has no desire to play with Tulsa, even with the attraction of suiting up alongside stripped Olympic sprint champion Marion Jones and WNBA legend Sheryl Swoopes, who this week ended her retirement to sign with the Shock.

"I don't want to play at Tulsa," Cambage said. "I've made that clear. They want to make me a franchise player, but I'm not going to the WNBA for that.

Reply #313787 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Are you talking about the WNBL Final or SEABL Final? In the WNBL final after the game when she was interviewed she said that she had a bad game but she didn't care as the main thing is that her team won. I think thats showing she is team oriented.

I don't think she is being a spoiled brat for saying she doesn't want to play in Tulsa. If a normal company was recruiting you to work for them in a different country you would also be picky and thats fair enough. At least she is being honest.

Worst Case Scenario is they draft her and then trade her. Obviously its important both the team and player are happy.

Reply #313793 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, it's a little different to a typical job scenario as the league specifically has a draft process for new/young players for the betterment of the league as a whole.

Who was the NBA player who acted like this recently? Was it Yi Jianlian?

Reply #313796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yi and also Steve Francis refused to play with Vancouver when they drafted him and also Kobe refused to play for Charlotte when they drafted him too.

Reply #313798 | Report this post

Hydra 41  
Years ago

Issac,

Thats good for the league, but a player needs to do what is best for themsleves. No point her going over there and going into a team that doesn't have the ability to develop her.

She has the ability to not play and go play in either Europe or stay in Australia, and she might be better off in the long run.

If she doesn't believe it is going to help her improve, good on her.

Reply #313801 | Report this post

yo  
Years ago

I don't think there's an issue here. She doesn't want to be a franchise player. Sounds like she wants to work her way to the top not just been thrown in there. It may be a wise move. She is only young and has plenty of years left to play, therefore she's probably just positioning herself for where she wants to be in X years.

Reply #313803 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hydra, not disagreeing there, but I think the WNBA has that draft for a reason. Just irks me when players buck that process to do it in their time and on their terms. If you want to be picky, you can easily skip these issues and go to Europe or stick with the WNBL.

Imagine you're the Cavs next year, you're not a big market team and have trouble recruiting to match the top teams. There's a strong player in the draft who would suit you perfectly. You desperately need the help, then they refuse to play for you. Can see it from the player's perspective, especially if it's about personal/professional development, but that still bugs me.

Just read up on the Kobe situation. Going by Wikipedia, Charlotte did not even have Kobe on their radar. He'd scrimmaged at the Lakers and shredded some of their guys, despite being all of 17, and they gave up Vlade (a 13 PPG and 9 RPG starter at the time) for his trade rights. Ballsy.

Reply #313804 | Report this post

Moral Citizen  
Years ago

It's all a facade, I think. Like I said, if you read between the lines, taking any WNBL game but more especially the two games versus Canberra in the finals, she 'says' the right things when interviewed, but her actions suggest otherwise when you watch her play. Watch her actions when the games are hanging in the balance --- she unloads on her teammates for not passing her the ball, she cries foul whenever she makes an error and her coaching staff must know she can be childish as they were quick to jump all over any teams being physical with her. 'Tunnelling' ? Give me a break, teams just looked to restrict her ability to post up close to the basket by meeting her early with contact. Nothing that doesn't happen to the Gabe Richards, Marianna Tolos or even Cayla Francis's of the competition.

I just think her quote about not wanting to play for Tulsa was highly disrespectful and ungrateful for a league and team wanting to make her a star. Why would she suggest wanting to play for LA Sparks of all teams?? Chicago Sky has a pick before them in the draft, but it seems Cambage just wants to play in the bright lights of LA so she can be on the big stage. I don't remember LJ or any other Australian throwing around who they will or won't play for, it's not the Australian way. Australians are happy to battle and show heart and character, Cambage has neither of those qualities it seems. Let's be honest, which WNBA team would she go to that wouldn't instantly make her one of their franchise players?? Tulsa's head coach Nolan Richardson has taken teams to 3 Final Fours and is is the only head coach to win a Junior College National Championship, the NIT, and the NCAA Tournament'. But apparently his potential to 'develop' Cambage isn't good enough. I just think it sends the wrong message from the athlete and is reflected poorly on the country and I can't believe the media hasn't pulled her up on this, held her accountable for her character or even asked the question why??

Reply #313805 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Eli Manning did the same thing in the NFL and forced himself to the New York Giants. Can't remember the team that missed out (San Diego I think).

The things that strikes me (and I'm not a Camabge fan at all) is that these guys/girls want their cake and to eat it too. They want the benefit and the profile of playing in the league (whilst the money in the WNBA is a lesser issue as a 19 year-old I'm still sure its a healthy payday), but don't want to play by the rules.

If you dont want to play by the rules, that's fine, just don't try and bend them to get what you want. Go to Europe (because that's what the European leagues are renowned for isn't it?) and make your money there. Maybe I'm just jealous I'm not valued enough to force somebody's hand like that but if I were the other GM's I'd be wary - it's like the kids who go from club to club in search of the super coach - good chance they wont be happy with your club either.

Seems to be catching though - Adelaide will be graced this CABL (hope that's right) by a (now) 17 year-old who decided she was walking away from a very handy income and (I assume) some playing dollars for greener (pun intended) pastures in Adelaide. Its her right of course to find a better deal, but it would make me wary (she was far enough down the track for media guides to have been completed).

Reply #313807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moral Citizen, basketball media is not exactly a broad expansive thing, women's basketball even less so. What limited media coverage (say, in newspapers) we do get outside of match reports and feel-good profiles is largely melodrama, Boti's jokes or Stuff.co.nz writers trashing NZ as falling apart any time they don't thrash another team.

I don't know anything about Cambage's personality, but I do prefer the fighter as you suggest is the Australian way. e.g., can't remember Bogut sulking about going to Milwaukee and that's hardly beach living.

Reply #313808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right. Bogut is a perfect example. He has embraced the club and city that afforded him the opportunity to showcase his talents. To play in a league like the WNBA is a privilege, not a right, and it is certainly pushing the boundaries of what is or isn't classy, honorable or 'the Australian way'

Reply #313818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moral citizen move on she is never coming back to Dandenong! You continue down this path on every blog around and when it doesnt get what you want you move to the next one. yawn yawn

Reply #313822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isacc surely you are not that naive? Just because you dont know it doesnt mean that a whole lot of players/agents are negotiating where their player will go that is a best fit? really? That's what agents are for!

Reply #313823 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At press conferences , she is so often misunderstood.
Sometimes i think people are talkin 'bout someone else.
'I think I'd look good in purple & yellow
and thinkin 'bout heading to the new york shop , with mum, to buy an outfit for the draft.'
A colossal pitchure of her up in the clouds.
A major planetary event.
Maya Moore arguably the best women's basketballer, for her age.
Very arguably, I'd say...About two and half years older than Cambage.

Reply #313836 | Report this post

Moral Citizen  
Years ago

First anonymous poster, you are absolutely spot on!!
Second anonymous poster, I'm not sure what you're on about. I didn't make any mention about Dandenong nor am I involved or know anyone involved with them.
Third anonymous poster, yes --- in free agency, not in a draft where someone gives you your first big chance. It's almost like biting the hand that feeds.
Camel 31, I'm not entirely sure of what point you're making

Reply #313842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moral Citizen blah blah blah you are a hater and clearly clueless about the process. Not surprised as you have never been through anything like and are in no position to comment. MOVE ON

Reply #313848 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Shaq - Orlando
Lebron - Cleveland
Garnett - Minnesota

They all played where they were drafted & then moved to have more success & suit themselves. Whats right & wrong? Cleveland hate Lebron now but he didnt shun them at the start!

You play where u get drafted, give the city a go & then decide after that.

Reply #313853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK so lets wait till the draft and see what happens? isn't all the rest just speculation?

Reply #313855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Cleveland would've been as harsh had LeBron not promised the city he'd be there whatever it took and then (probably more damaging) run the TV special. That and the resulting Heat introduction (as though they'd already won the championship, one coach said) pissed off more than just Cavs fans I think it's fair to say.

Shaq and Garnett (especially) are good examples.

Reply #313856 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Def being a a spoilt brat.

Reply #313860 | Report this post

Moral Citizen  
Years ago

Anonymous poster, disappointed that you can't contribute to the debate and just retaliate by taking pot shots at me. I'm opening this up for discussion as it's a topic worth sharing views about and I've given my view. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. I'm a supporter of women's basketball and would love for a prospect like Cambage to show real character and spirit and represent the country with class. My argument is, is she doing that?? I would be thrilled to see her battle through some adversity or not be fussed about her status, just contribute to something bigger than herself. I fear she's not out for anything bigger than herself, she's out solely FOR herself.

Reply #313863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anonymous moral citizen haha do you think that what you have to say is adding any value apart from hate? When did you become the moral arbitrator for athletes/ Unfortunately for you this is now about you as you have an opinion about Liz. when you stop taking shots at her you bully I will at you? read up on cyber bullying! your opinion does not make you right and by the way I am not the only one who has challenged your opinion. get a life

Reply #313864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous. Go back to the kids' table please. The adults are talking.

Reply #313865 | Report this post

Moral Citizen  
Years ago

Ok, so you don't think there is anything wrong with a premier league being interested in a player, that player talking up how excited they are to become a part of that league, then, in a draft process, coming out with 'oh, I want to play there, but I don't want to play for you'. In a draft setting, it is ungrateful, disrespectful and not morally right. It's not the Australian way. What happens if Cambage gets her wish and gets to play for LA Sparks and then she decides the coach can't 'develop' her or decides she wants to play elsewhere?? I would be weary of that if I were the Sparks or any other franchise. It doesn't bode well for a player to not even yet be in the league, not even yet have any track record, not even be a worldly superstar with wins on the board, and already be dictating terms and conditions. That suggests the player believes she is 'above' everyone else and should be catered to. Again, name me any other Australian Opal that you could even mildly SUGGEST has acted that way. The Opals have such a character based line of players and coaches, this attitude isn't in line with that and it stands out big time to me as a supporter.

Reply #313866 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps I am being selfish for Australian Women's basketball, but I would prefer Liz Cambage to be drafted by Seattle so she can play and train with LJ and the other Aussie girls there.

Reply #313878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be amazing + super for oz bball. I kind of see moral citizens point tho coz no player from oz has ever done that and I find it hard to be a fan of hers coz something doesn't sit right. I mean she's a great player but in interviews or when I watched her play here against the lightning I have seen her pipe up + show a bit of the I'm above everyone attitude. I hope she grows up because she has the height and skills to be very good

Reply #313881 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

You would think the WNBA would have a rule in place to prevent this sort of thing.

Otherwise, what is the point of the draft?

Reply #313902 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Let's stop ragging on Cambage's media demeanour for a moment: there is NO WAY that this article was written without the supervision of both Cambage's mother and her agent. Get away from the idea that this is just another immature slip-of-the-tongue to the media like Cambage's post Grand Final interview (may) be seen as. IMO, all this was just a strategic move on her managements behalf. Yeah, it might make Cambage look a little spoilt - but who cares if it generates more talk about her? She doesn't have to be holier-then-thou in order to increase her media potential!

Reply #313903 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Purple n Yellow it is then.

Reply #313909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would just like to bring to your attention, that Liz is only 19 years old, and all 19 year olds are a little bratty. Surely, you arent telling me you were a perfect person when you were 19. And also, Liz said that she doesn't want to play at Tulsa, not that she won't play at all. She made her PREFERENCES clear that she would choose the Lynx over the Shock. Not once did she say that she wouldnt play.

Reply #314144 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754