Neo
Years ago

Forestville Leading the way AGAIN

To start with no I have nothing to do with Forestville.

I do however want to congratulate the Forestville Eagles Basketball Club on the appointment of a Referees Development Officer. This is definately another step in the right direction (along with the formation of the City South Domestic League) for the sport in this state. Hopefully the continued success of the club will force other clubs to be as forward thinking as Forestville are right now and in particular be part of the solutation to the current refereeing crisis and not a major part of the problem.

Topic #2532 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It makes it a bit easier for a club when they have the money to pay for these new positions.

Reply #28460 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Firstly, like all paid positions in basketball clubs, this position does not attract a huge salary, and certainly not one commensurate with the work involved. Then again, most people involved with basketball clubs work for nothing, so it's nice to be able to offer something.

Secondly, this position is fully funded by the Forestville leg of the City South competition. We have made a conscious decision to return all the profit from City South to development of junior players, coaches and umpires.

The point of this post was that other clubs would have the ability to the same, if they ran domestic competitions. Most clubs are now doing this, or actively pursuing it. If you're not sure if your club is one of these, ask your coaching director.

Reply #28466 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

Exactly.

Domestic Competitions are one of the most important legs of any positive restructure of basketball in this state. The position of Referee Development Officer is a by product of that. A club would look stupid having a position without a domestic league because there would be little use other then training for such a role. By taking a step in the right direction with the domestic competition it has led to another step being taking as well as numerous others in the furthering of player and coaching development too.

This is the only way forward for the sport and without domestic competitions and further diversity within our clubs the sport at a grass roots level will not grow.

Reply #28470 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

Paul

Maybe they could start paying 'commensurate with the work involved' is they hadn't just blown $10k on insurance for Neil Mottram. They might have been able to keep some club juniors in their senior teams as well.

Reply #28531 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Paul,

I was at that game where Mottram went down .. Any news as to his condition ?

There was a suspicious absence of a question regarding that on Talking Hoops the other night .. Maybe Lindsay did not want to talk about it!

Reply #28532 | Report this post

just curious  
Years ago

I am curious that Everybody says Forestville started the idea of the domestic competiition. I don't think this is right. Didn't this concept start from another club in SA?

Reply #28538 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Just Curious i don't think everybody does say that F/Ville started domestic comp. Firstly it was a joint initiative with Sturt and we all know Southern already had a comp going. I think you should change your name to just shitstirring.

:} On top of the 10K for his insurance we also bought Neil a brand new Beamer to park in the double garaged house we bought him in Hyde Park. Don't worry about our juniors all div 1 players get $500 per games, div 2 $250. Paul Arnott's annual salary is 250K per year plus expenses.

Reply #28542 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Stella,

I presume all Forestville coaches bring home big salaries too.

Reply #28547 | Report this post

just curious  
Years ago

A bit defensive aren't we? I think the umpire development role is a great idea.

Reply #28548 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Forrestville are paying that much to players etc?? CRIKEY!!

Reply #28552 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Bizzy ..

Look up the word 'sarcasm' in the dictionary.

Hope that helps little fella ! ;)

Reply #28563 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

lol, how fkn dumb am I. Skyhook you play ball?? If yes who for?

Reply #28565 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Check out some of my posts .. and if you still cant figure it out ASK me again .. !!

(school holiday project for you)

Reply #28569 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

Back to the original point.

Considering Domestic comps have been running interstate for over 10 years I don't think anyone is giving Forestville credit for the idea. Neither do I believe Southern should get the credit either.

I was making the point that Forestville had done something that was a first in SA (by appointing a referees development officer). Not only that but it was something worth posting considering the numerous posts regarding the standard and numbers of referees at the moment.

From what I can tell both the City South competition (a concept which still some clubs do not support) and the appointment of the RDO on top of Paul Arnott's extended hours and responsibilities as Junior Manager were all decisions made thinking ahead not back and good for the game as a whole.

My point was that too many people in basketball in S.A seem to want to just keep doing the same because it's easier or because they don't think anything is wrong. It's good to see Forestville for one (and I'm sure they're not alone) don't believe that and are doing things to change the way the game is run in S.A.

Reply #28587 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Neo - For those of us who aren't familiar with the City South Competition, could you tell us what its about, who plays in it, who its run by, etc etc etc. (sorry its off topic)

Reply #28589 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

I'm sure either Paul would be in a much better position to answer those questions then me. Or you can go to www.citysouth.basketball.net.au and find all the information there.

Reply #28592 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Executive summary:

City South is a domestic competition jointly run by the Sturt and Forestville basketball clubs, on Sunday afternoons at Pasadena and Wayville. We have over 250 kids playing in about 38 teams. About two thirds of these players are current Forestville and Sturt district players, and one third are not. The competition has attracted about 100 new players to Forestville and Sturt in the last 6 monhts.

For more information, click here.

Reply #28602 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

thanks Paul - i am quite impressed! you certainly seem to be on the right track, and getting results! good job.

Reply #28609 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Thanks Dr. D.

Reply #28620 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I think the biggest point about the domestic comp should be that BASA didnt start it.

With Aussie Hoops running out of legs in some areas, the next step had to be thought of. BASA did nothing. It's funny that it now seems to be up to the Clubs to keep basketball alive in this state, not the sports governing body.

In fact weekend mini-ball seems too hard for a lot of stadium managers to deal with. Mind you, so does week day mini-ball.

Reply #28757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I might be demonstrating my lack of understanding here, but isn't BASA more or less the clubs combined? So rather than saying "BASA didn't start it", isn't the reality that the clubs combined don't agree that this is the way forward? Either that, or maybe some don't see it as a priority?

Reply #29012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754