Isaac
Years ago

Bednall on 36ers: What to do this off-season

Jai Bednall writing in the Sunday Mail has outlined his thoughts on the 36ers off-season to come.

Main thrust seems to be to add Gibson this year, then another top free agent next year.

Adelaide should stay committed to its three-year plan by adding one quality starter this season and then another for 2013/14.
I do think one FA and better import picks could be enough, but why stop there? Newley is raised as a target, so why not aim for that level of FA this coming season rather than next?

His keepers:

Ballinger: "Clearly the team's best player, which says a lot. Must eventually become the second or third option on offence."
Carter: toss up with Bruce, but slight edge.
Creek
Daly: as a development player.
Herbert
Hill: "Would ideally be an offensive sparkplug off the bench in a title contender. Had an up-and-down season."
Holmes: "Was the team's best rebounder and on-court leader. Another who should shift to the bench next season."
Johnson: "Blossomed late in Ballinger's absence. A potential go-to guy on offence with a little more work."
Ng

Proposed farewells:

Bruce: crowded backcourt.
Dowdell: good option, but hard to keep him AND Holmes unless no other backup Cs.
Shannon: we need more.

Jai's roster keeps eight (plus Daly as DP) and adds Gibson, so would force someone to 11th man or means one import. I just can't see how keeping Hill, Ng, Herbert and Creek can work - none of them should be playing PG or PF so two are forced to start at SG and SF and I don't think it makes for a strong enough setup. Creek has to be in that bench SF role, we can start one of the others (say Herbert), but I don't see room for Ng and Hill.

Topic #25329 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So with a gun to your head which one of Hill or Ng do you keep?

Reply #314118 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Let's be honest, just another very average write up from a very limited basketball brain. Clearly demonstrates the guy (Jai) has simply no idea when it comes to basketball.

An awesome mock up team if we want to stay on the bottom of the ladder for the next 2 years. I can see Sydney already being a much better team with a few minor changes.

Reply #314120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I would keep Ng, no gun needed.

Reply #314121 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

yeah, i dont think Jai is much of a basketball guy, and unlike Boti it does not sound like he has spoken to the coaches who apparently are targeting an Aussi point guard and big man help {import post player?}.

Sorry Jai mate, you are improving, but the team needs more of an overhaul than you are suggesting.

I would not want to be an unsigned 36er at the moment..

Reply #314122 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Newley chatted about europe , when he was here playing boomers v argentina. He called almost everything "great , just great."
($650,00 for 2 years)

Dorsey looked pretty good on Friday.

Reply #314127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely Jai and Boti would speak though so Boti would influence him in some way. I don't think Jai's list of keepers is that far off the mark - if you shifted Hill, Ng and Holmes to a limbo-like "maybe" category, I wouldn't disagree.

My main issue is with the idea of adding a decent FA each year - I don't think that would quite resonate with fans who are (and should be) expecting more. We might not get everyone we target, but the feelers should go out to Gibson, Barlow/Newley/Rush and Schenscher (plus maybe imports that've shown some ability like Dorsey). Also check in on top-price imports in case none of those swingmen are options.

Reply #314129 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Hill MUST go, NG is a pure shooter. People keep saying 'if we get rid of Hill he will go for 30 against us' thats BS, NG is the guy that will torch the 6ers from raaaaaaaange. Cant stand Hill's erratic style of play.

Reply #314130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Call me crazy but I thought Bendall wasn't that far off the mark. It's the best you can really do with this motley bunch and the SOS group not willing to spend much money on the roster.

I disagree however by adding Gibson and then potentially next season Newley would make the 36ers a legit championship contender, a playoff team maybe.

The thing is his team straight up looks much better than we put out on the floor because he's got Balls at his natural 4 and DJ at the 5 something Clarke just isn't interested in.

If it comes down to who we re-sign out of Bruce/Carter and Holmes/Dowdell I like him would go with Carter & Holmes as the back up PG & PF respectively.

Reply #314131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fizzle no point having range if u can't get the ball. Not strong enough to play nbl, can't defend anyone cause to weak. Can't dribble cause gets pushed over then loses the ball. Can't have a liability on the defense n a guy who needs people to find his shot 4 him.

Reply #314134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get Gibbo?
Are you kidding how can the sos people afford to get him?If they do get him,then why havent they opend the purse strings earlier?
Sack ballinger as well

Reply #314135 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If I was the 36ers, I would be going after Liam Rush.
Rush would help out the 36ers big time.

Averaged 19.3 ppg over in Sweden, struck at 43 % from 3, and 56 % FG.

Furthermore, he is 6"8 so im sure he could help out in the rebounding department and interior defence.

Reply #314136 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Ng can play NBL, has made some big shots and is serviceable in all areas of the game. Nice try Mr Hill.

Reply #314138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't bother with Rush the Sixers have no real need for him. Rush is just a solid complimentary player. The Sixers problems are a lot bigger than that.

Reply #314141 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Keep Ng,Hill cannot get a Layup and cannot be consistent weekly,look at the last sixer game against NZ did nothing.Ng can shoot anywhere and get the team confidence up...it showed before he got injured.

Bruce ,Shannon,Dowdell,Holmes to go

Get a point guard who can pass and score,if shannon was younger and quicker keep him another year but hes 34.I doubt we get Gibson.Point Guard from states like corey williams.Shannon started good then faded esp on close games.

We need a tall centre to compliment balls and Johnson.

Clarke and Radford=go to USA search for potential players dont rely on your agents.

Reply #314145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fizzle not fussed if hill is in the team or not long as we upgrade but i will b disappointment if they keep ng not up to nbl simple as that. to soft! In all areas???? doesnt rebound cant defend and cant dribble the ball. like i said all areas wow! u must really like losing.

Reply #314146 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

no decent Centre wil play in the NBL for the money we offer.

You can get a undersized C or a slow PF but not anyone that can help our team.

Keep Balls and Johnson add an import 3 (Dorsey etc) and 2 (Sanders - although more of a 3)

Let Carter and Bruce run the point.

Reply #314148 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If your not going to be a good defensive team, then you better have enough firepower to outscore your opponents ala the Breakers.

The 36ers this year had neither -- No real offensive firepower (lack of production from imports) and some lacklustre defence.

IMO, the choice of imports for next season becomes unbelievably significant.
Mainly because you can't rely on Holmes, Creek, Ng, Carter/Bruce, or even Johnson to go out and score CONSISTENTLY. Offensive production from all these players is hit or miss, unfortunately.
36ers need two stud imports that can score consistently--two imports that Clarke can have faith in and say pre-game "X and Y will give us their 45 points combined tonight".

Reply #314150 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

You are all wrong!!

Change the coach!!!!

Reply #314151 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I noticed Jai had herbet as the starting 2. I rate Herbet but not as much as Jai. I would probably let herbie go and keep Ng as the back up.

This season Ng has stepped it up on D and is much stonger. I didn't really notice him beign taken advantage of this season.

Reply #314152 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I dont think he was that off the mark,

personally id add atleast 3 new recruits being 2 imports and a top aussie like Gibson, only if we can grab 2 top aussies like Schenscher and Gibson would i go with only 1 import,
my ideal scenario would be grab 2 imports and Schenscher and Gibson.

But yea the only change id make 2 his team is say the recruit pg is Gibson, id grab Galen Young as back up C, playing Johnson 25+mins per game, and replace either Hill or Ng with a import Sg/SF ala Ron Dorsey.

I personally would chose Bruce over Carter but wont be too upset either way there, as he said its a 50/50 in many ways, i just think Bruce is/will be the better player.

This would give us pretty much the team Issac suggested a while ago of

Johnson/Young
Ballinger/Holmes
Dorsey/Creek
Herbert/Ng or Hill
Gibson/Carter or Bruce

as apposed to the line up in the paper, not too far off and id say thats the worst case scenario and is better than this years team, but am hoping for a little more than Bednalls team being atleast 3 new starters, if possible my ideal would be to grab another Aussie starter ala Schenscher or Barlow along with Gibson and 2 imports and drop Holmes or Ng or Hill or whoever to make it fit

Reply #314156 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Rather than going for imports that already exist, why not go ahead with a US trip and scout for an import?

I don't see the need for 2 imports nowadays. There's enough local talent of a set caliber that will get us a winning team.

Gibson and Schensher are decent targets and upgrades on what we have. The "single" import that everyone seems so keen on getting should be ignored completely.

Reply #314159 | Report this post

Spur  
Years ago

To be honest, what's the likelihood Gibson ends up in Adelaide anyway?

Reply #314162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fairly good, I would guess. Always the chance that a team like New Zealand can trump other bids by swapping out Braswell, but I think we're a shot.

Reply #314173 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Was Harris an experiment that didn't work ?
(Playing seabl, now . Even stuff which people loathe about Cortez Groves, I like. As an Aussie off the bench.)

Reply #314180 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ng stays - His defence is under rated and we're not making the most out of his range.

Hill - Meh.

Reply #314175 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Isaac, boti and Jai work for different newspapers. To say Boti has some sort of influence over Jai is your all time off the mark comment.

Reply #314177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know they work for different newspapers, I just figured they'd at least chat in passing. There was at least one remark in Jai's column that was not dissimilar to something Boti and I emailed about a long while ago - may have just been a coincidence.

Nice to hear that I've trumped other comments you've disagreed with!

Reply #314181 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Talk to Schenscher but I dont think we should be spending big money on him when we have Johnson who is serviceable and will improve. Taking on Schenscher with a big pay packet will only leave us with more gaping holes elsewhere. The Sixers need to spend their money wisely and be smart with their recruiting!

For those that say the SOS wont spend up on the team, I think thats a mute comment. I believe they are spending the cap, well pretty close to it (a little insurance left aside - smart) and teams like Wollongong have proved you dont need to spend big to be competitive.

Ng for mine over Hill. Ng is an under rated defender, one of the more pure shooters in the comp and can stretch the defence (always requires a defender - reputation), consistent, and he has a good basketball brain remaining cool under pressure. Ng is a zone beater which every team needs.

I think we should be talking to and aiming for the names that Isaac mentioned above.

Reply #314187 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There are those that think we must be poor and are acting the part.
There are 36 that went to a 36ers supporters meeting , last season and were told that we spent
$965,000, leaving a bit for insurance.
While some will post that it's time to spend more.

Reply #314195 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

There are going to be some difficult decisions ahead as to who to axe so as to make space for new talent in the team.

We have a lot of 'second-tier' players who are great off the bench and who have pretty even skill and talent levels. Who doesn't make it will have to depend on how well those players complement the first-tier talent we have to bring in, what their player points ratings are and how much dosh they are asking.

I don't think that there is room on the roster for a true finals contender for:

1. both Carter and Bruce at PG;

2. more than two of Herbert, Ng and Hill at SG/SF; and

3. both Holmes and Dowdell at PF/C.

It is a difficult task because I think each of the above are fine in backup roles, but none have proven they are first choice starters at NBL level (I include Holmes in that, who has probably been starting for 4 years now. That might be telling us something).

Whoever gets left out needs to be replaced with starter-quality players in each spot, which can include two new imports.

I am glad I don't have to make the decisions though, because the choices are line ball in each case for mine. It should depend at the end of the day on team balance and points/salary.

Reply #314196 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

MACDUB, they're nice gaudy numbers from Rush, but how good is the Swedish league realistically? I'm thinking significantly below NBL standard. Would Rush be an impact player or another role player? I agree with you that if the Sixers could find two gun imports it would solve all our problems, but on our recent track record, the chances of that are slim.

I do think our roster needs a serious overhaul, but I fear it may be hard for SOS to part company with Ng and Hill. If we have to keep those two and we have already signed DJ, Balls and Creek then its hard to truly blow the team up.

Herbert could be retained as a starter as long as he can do three things: defend his position, play smart and make open threes when teams try to shut down Balls or DJ. Pretty sure he can do the first two things and from Marty's comments, they think he can do the third too.

If we get Gibson, then I think we need a top notch offensive player, probably an import, who can shoot from range, handle the ball, finish at the rim. Basically a do it all guy. They seem hard to come by though.

The need for a star SF like this and having a guy like Creek waiting in the wings does make Hill expendable in my view. Its gonna depend on SOS finding that star player and signing him though.

If we ended up with a starting five like this I'd be happy:

DJ
Balls
Mythical Star Import Scorer
Herbert
Gibson/ Ervin-like PG

Failing that, plug Dorsey or Gilder in at SF and it wouldn't be too bad.

Then fill in the gaps on the bench. Holmes would be okay as one of the bench bigs, but we need another guy with a bit of size off the bench to cover us when DJ or Balls gets in foul trouble.

Creek is an obvious keeper and I think Daly should get another year as a development player too.

I'd keep Carter as the backup PG.

Ng I thought finally showed me something and then he got injured. Probably would be ok off the bench, but it depends on who else pops up.

Reply #314220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol ng underated on d. penny is pissing his pants when he reads this. 6 times in 1 quarter he pushed of ng, ng takes 3 steps back penny hits open shot. im not at all saying keep hill but ng pls if where going to win he is a 10th man at best.

Reply #314241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone will take 3 steps back if they are pushed....maybe the ref's should be calling offensive fouls?

It seems Penney gets away with it no matter who is on him, not just Ng.

Reply #314346 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anon #314241, I've heard rumors that "Open Space + Well Versed shooter = High Probability of a shot going down".

I see you attended the school of the blatantly obvious as well.

Reply #314391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is interesting that everyone is quick to say the Sixers arent prepared to spend the big bucks on players but if Adelaide supporters actually supported the team and provided adequate sponsorship, they would be able to spend a hell of a lot more on quality players.

Dowdell over Holmes. He has the dedication to keep developing and is still young.

Keep Ng as he is one of the best shooters and we need that.

Carter/Bruce.. tough. Bruce would want to have a strong off season and could come back better than Carter.

Reply #314411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng can't defend or dribble the ball without getting pushed over it's as simply as that. Everytime he gets it the opposition are onto him straight away. When on defense they Play through his man as much as possible. Maybe take some real notice n notb bias. If we wanna make it to playoffs he doesn't get a gig if ur happy not to make playoffs he gets mins like this yr n he is a liability. No gd at 36ers 1st no gd at slingers n only got a gig here 2nd time cause of dad. u guys must b family friends of his.

Reply #314426 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #314426, I think you should look at the bigger picture and not just the individual.

Posters on here arent saying he is the best defender, nor are they saying he is a top notch scorer.

What they are saying is that he is a reliable defender. He may not get steals and block shots but he does a good job of keeping in front of his man, he wouldnt take as many charges as he does if this wasnt the case.

We dont need him to be able to dribble so that point is mute.

You cant deny the fact that he is a pure shooter. Give him any space and he will knock it down. That's his strength and his reputation and even if he isnt scoring he is keeping the defense honest by them having to play him tightly which opens up opportunities for others, makes it harder for double teams on Balls etc...

The coach needs to design some plays to utilise his abilities and get him open shots.....much like NZ do for Penney.

You may be right that he got a 2nd gig here because of his Dad, but that depends on how you look at it? Maybe, just maybe he chose to return because of his Dad.

I think the Sixers suffered this year when Ng when down for the season and I'm pretty sure from memory he was playing decent ball up to that point?

Ng isnt the problem for our failures to feature in the playoffs. Our problems are much bigger than that.

Anon #314411, the Sixers are pretty much spending the cap - you cant spend any more than that? They do however, probably need to spend it more wisely.

Reply #314502 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Tornado, nice post.

Unfortunately money doesn't judge the quality of a player. You're relying on past games and stats generally to give a player worth; whether that level is justified and more importantly, maintained, while that player is under contract to you is another.

Technically all our imports had backgrounds and stats that would potentially warrant big bucks, but in play, that didn't turn out to be the case.

Ng can score and hit 3's. You need at least 1-2 bench players capable of doing that at least. He's worth keeping for that scoring punch; until you can find someone better.

Reply #314510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754