Isaac
Years ago

Cats, Breakers face fines over MVP night snub

The Perth Wildcats expect to be fined by the NBL after opting to stay home instead of attending the league's awards ceremony in Melbourne tonight.

Coach Rob Beveridge, who is among the nominees for coach of the year, co-captain Brad Robbins and point-guard Damian Martin had planned to attend the event, the backcourt duo having been nominated for defensive player of the year.

But chief executive Nick Marvin decided against sending his key men to Melbourne after learning the Wildcats' semifinal opponents, New Zealand, would not attend.
"I will not put our team at a competitive disadvantage going into such an important game.

Full story

Topic #25333 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Quite a valid point actually. If a NZ franchise doesn't have to travel, then neither should any franchise be forced too.

Granted this could have been easily mediated by having the MVP ceremony in Sydney to meet both franchises halfway.

I wouldn't even bother fining the club, especially if there isn't valid grounds for the Breakers to attend the game.

Reply #314198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not have it at the end of the season

Reply #314200 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Many players (not in the grand final series) will have long left the country to return home or play overseas.

Reply #314201 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why not wait until a time like now when its known who is playing in the first game of the playoffs and hold it where the game is being played. I know in this case being NZ, everyone attending other than the NZ representatives will have to travel overseas, but atleast no one is being disadvantaged because they are all there for the game anyway. On the other hand, it could be held in between the 1st and 2nd game so everyone travels to Perth if its any easier.

Reply #314265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC that's one of your best.

It takes months to put together an event like an MVP dinner.

Reply #314267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, see anon's comment. No chance. So a couple of teams skip it - not a huge deal. Still got the majority of award winners there.

Don't AFL teams occasionally skip the Brownlow or watch from a venue in their state if they have a final looming?

Reply #314275 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I thought I just heard on the radio that the Breakers are facing a 10k fine for skipping the MVP awards.

Reply #314552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754