SAW
Years ago

U23 Div 2 Men

Given that YL is supposed to be the next best thing in basketball and that we have "wasted" a summer for grading purposes how can a club as well organised as Sturt have two teams in Div 2 and one of those teams, Sturt 1, have forfeited their first two games of the winter season.

If they can't fill the spot surely the option to the next best team in Div 3 should be offered the vacant spot.

Topic #25356 | Report this topic

annon  
Years ago

Theya re going to fill it with Under 16 Boys tonight to save a fine.
I believe they have Under 18 boys playing Div 2 men as well.

What will be interesting is how will BSA re act if they forfiet again

Reply #314396 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Injuries, sicknesses, 36ers commitments, college eligibility rules and unavailability of State 18s were the reasons for this. Rather than run the 10 fit and available Youth League players into the ground for Youth League 1 (double games last week) and 2 (double games this week), Div 2 Men and ABL the last 2 weeks we decided to forfeit the YL 2's. It wasn't ideal but there was no alternative as all other teams were short as well. Numbers are improving and will return to normal in the next few weeks. If we could have had 15 year olds fill in we could have filled all our teams but the rules do not allow it. We had a number of 15 year olds that were available and more than capable of playing at that level. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Reply #314397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 16 boys?

Basketball SA By-Law 2.3

d) To be eligible to participate in any Senior or Youth League competition run by Basketball SA a player must have turned 16 years of age prior to their first game. Exemptions will be granted for elite players who have previously been selected in Australian junior or senior squads.

So they'll forfeit anyway.

Reply #314398 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Seems the U23 Division 2 is the most whinged about group on Hoops.

Reply #314401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and one that at least one club doesn't care about....only the 1's count!!!!!!

Reply #314408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA want the revenue and couldn't care less if you fill a team with U12's, just keep the bucks rolling in. Like most things BSA do, it ends up like the dome.

Reply #314421 | Report this post

o  
Years ago

Part of the problem with Div2 YL is the large discrepancies between teams.
Such discrepancies have always been a cause of unhappiness in Div 2 in all age groups, both on winning and on losing sides. Nothing new here.

Full pro/rel, including Div 1, is the only fix for it.
It makes everyone play enjoyable games at their level of competition, and allows for the best possible development of players.

Am I right in thinking that different clubs use different strategies to fill their div 1 teams?
It seems that some clubs use the best in the age group for Div 1, while others, taking the development brief, chose the youngest ABA-able players coming through.

This would exacerbate the differences, and unhappiness, in Div 2.

Reply #314447 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

BSA has no idea on how the planning works ( 36ers commitments, injuries, U18 State commitments, etc etc) and have no real interest in anything under Div 1 and 2

You have to be appreciative of SB's honesty on why things happen.

I wonder if this had an impact on Easter Tournement noms?

After Easter, State Champs, then Classics,the ball rolls on

Players are used by some clubs in U18, U23 and train with ABA and have a lot of other things to do ( school, social life)

No wonder the teams drop off after U18 dramaticaly

Reply #314452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA are to blame now?

How and why would BSA take into account one team having 36ers commitments? Or how can BSA possibly take into account injuries?

How about clubs take some responsibilty and not play Under 18s in Youth League? Then Under 18 State commitments don't affect their team numbers? Don't have enough, then nominate less teams!

Why would Under 23's have an affect on Norwood (no Under 20 or Under 23), State Champs (no Under 20 or Under 23) or Classics (no Under 20 or Under 23)

Youth league is meant to be a development league for those in the 22-18 bracket.

If clubs are playing Under 18's or in a few cases 15 year olds who's to blame? Not BSA imo.

Reply #314460 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

15 year olds not allowed to play, not everyone playing from U18's made state or even trialled for state.

Reply #314470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15 year olds are allowed to play under certain circumstances.

Reply #314482 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah exactly it was posted above those circumstances Anonymous

Basketball SA By-Law 2.3

d) To be eligible to participate in any Senior or Youth League competition run by Basketball SA a player must have turned 16 years of age prior to their first game. Exemptions will be granted for elite players who have previously been selected in Australian junior or senior squads.

Reply #314485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SB is kidding himself if he thinks those 15 year olds could compete.

Reply #314486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a club coach complained that BSA were making it too hard on players to play all these games yet wanted the flexibility to play 15 year olds who also have Under 16 or Under 18 games, SASI and State.

Clubs are to blame for over extending their best juniors because they just want to win.

Clubs over nominate, over commit players then complain that everything is BSA's fault.

Reply #314488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the point SB was making is that as a once off he could have had 15 years old playing.

Youth League in summer was a great competition but over winter the standards will drop off somewhat and the margins on some of the games increase. Some teams are still bringing out their top line-ups week in week out with very good ABL players still playing. Meanwhile other clubs have pretty much now made their division two team from summer their divison one team and are resting their young ABL players.

This means that the competition has become less competitive in winter.

Reply #314490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do they need a rest, they play one game a week

soccer players in europe can play up to three games a week in some cases

and lets not talk about the NBA schedule

unless you are injured get off your slack butts and play youth league and if you are able div 2 men as well, your only going to get better

Reply #314496 | Report this post

The reasons why guys have rest at this level:

* ABL game every week
* Two trainings a week
* At least one individual training a week
* Couple of weight sessions a week

So that's four nights there. On top of that some of the more elite players have:

* 36ers trainings
* State trainings and games
* Aus Camp

Reply #314519 | Report this post

hogwash  
Years ago

Dont flatter yourself and the comp you play in. YL2 is not a strong standard at all.

SB has 15 year olds at his club that could not only compete, but dominate at YL2 level.

Reply #314522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hogwash you are talking hogwash I have seen first hand those 15 year olds and they are not that good, only 2 of them would be able to handle div 2 or div 1 YL

Reply #314547 | Report this post

hogwash  
Years ago

#547 you need a reality check. Read the title of this thread - we are talking YL2 here. The standard is not good at all, and you're kidding if you want to believe that it is. Elite 15 year olds would do more than compete.

Reply #314706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hogwash - I disagree. The summer Div 2 was ordinary but the filtering process has left some good teams in Div 2 - some of which would be more than competitive with the bottom Div 1 sides.

I have seen some of the players SB is probably referring to and yes they would be able to compete against the bottom Div 2 teams from summer season but not against some of the best teams now in Div 2. Some of these players have played ABA several years ago or been ABA squads but have decided that they don't want to play at that level and the time commitments required. With the emergence of the YL they were happy to return to basketball and are happy playing in Div 2.

Reply #314744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly the only thing that would happen to those 15 year olds would be that their over inflated egos would be snubbed out pretty quickly

Reply #314761 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

You guys certainly dont do your homework and dont know what you are talking about......

My lad who is 16 has been having a wow of a time in YL, he had great summer stats, compliments from older bigger opposition guys about his ability

And he aint at SASI or State.....

Reply #314777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Parent - why not start taking your 10% agents fee if he is that good.

I never saw any standout younger player over summer certainly not one that would make our team

Reply #314783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW YL div 2 summer now goes down to div 5. My 12 year old son is more skilled than some of those in Div 5.

Reply #314784 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

Thats because you dont do your homework douchebag, who is your team?? did they finish top of the div 2 pool - nah until your team finishes top dont come on here bagging about things of which you dont know - do you think the kids where a sign that says IM 16, IM 15, grow a brain

And the other anonymous above dont bag the kids in the lower divs, they play the sport because they enjoy it and they dont need critical nasty comments like yours when all they want to do is play ball. Not every kid is good at sport yet most want to play it. Is it any wonder that kids are leaving basketball with the attitude that you have!!!

Reply #314789 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

Oh no wait.... I just worked it out you are the same anonymous douche bag

Reply #314792 | Report this post

Big Shot Rob  
Years ago

You obviously didn't watch the 15 year old Sam Daly and Hamish burns in YL Div 1 then. They played just fine on winning teams.

Reply #314794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam and Hamish werent available last tuesday, SB was talking about other 15 year olds at the same club

parent you are the reason why everyone hates sturt

Reply #314795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you finish top when there are two pools and it is obvious that the south pool is weaker with clubs needing to rely on U18 kids to fill teams

And parent was I bagging anyone - I just pointed out that it is not necessarily a great achievement depending on the teams you played against. You kid not good enough to be SASI at the moment so to be playing U23's he must be 16 which makes him U18. Not such a big age difference when you say i like this, He could be playing against 17 yo's in U23.

They are leaving in droves because of obnoxious parents from clubs like yours which giggle and snicker when U10s/U12s are out there giving it a go to hear that crap from the sidelines.

If you don't agree then I suggest you do your homework sonny boy! Maybe we can discuss it at the next Mensa meeting!

Reply #314797 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

Never said anyone finished top was asking if your team did because your'e bagging everyone else.

"And parent was I bagging anyone - I just pointed out that it is not necessarily a great achievement depending on the teams you played against. You kid not good enough to be SASI at the moment so to be playing U23's he must be 16 which makes him U18. Not such a big age difference when you say i like this, He could be playing against 17 yo's in U23."

certainly sounds like you are bagging...Perhaps we should show your comments to the parents of the kids in Div 5, see if you get your head chewed off for this comment

"BTW YL div 2 summer now goes down to div 5. My 12 year old son is more skilled than some of those in Div 5".

BAGGING BAGGING BAGGING.....

"And could be playing against 17 year olds"

EXACCERRYYYY my point this thread is about NOT wanting U18s playing YL is it not?.......so if theyr'e playing 17 year olds WHATS THE BIG DEAL???????????

They are leaving in droves because of obnoxious parents from clubs like yours which giggle and snicker when U10s/U12s are out there giving it a go to hear that crap from the sidelines.

SORRY WHAT CRAP? I DONT HAVE ANYONE IN THAT AGE GROUP AND YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT SOMETHING NOT TO DO WITH U23YL
YOU ARE THE ONE BAGGING BAGGING BAGGING

Remember this comment

"BTW YL div 2 summer now goes down to div 5. My 12 year old son is more skilled than some of those in Div 5. "

BAGGING BAGGING BAGGING

Reply #314803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parent your obviously involved with study's over rated under 18 side

Reply #314826 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

who gives a rats who Im involved with - there are many U18's playing in YL from Div 1 to Div 5 and enjoying their time doing it, they are competitive and it gives them great experience for when they move out of 18's, you baggers on here are just that baggers...

Reply #314832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been reading all these comments and all I can say do is laugh at Parent - you have no idea. Riding on the coat tails of other's good work I suspect.

Reply #314841 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

What the! The U23YL is a good opportunity for the U18's to improve their basketball against older bigger guys in preparation for the next 1-2 years when they are in YL. Some would say playing Mens social would do that too, but the reffing and implementing the rules are somewhat better in YL.

Many of you are BAGGING the U18's that wish to play in YL - the statement fron annonn is that U16's were to be used to fill up a YL team - which is the biggest load of HOGWASH (no reference intended to Hogwash above) ever posted on Hoops - it ISNT ALLOWED.

How any of my comments equates to riding on coat tails?? You guys obviously have NO IDEA!!! PS looks like I'll be at that MENSA meeting by myself. LOL!!!!!

Reply #314857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16's can and do play in U23's

Reply #314866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love to know how many U16's are leigible to play YL - By the sounds of this it seems everyone does!!

Reply #314877 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

No under 16 play YL 15 year olds are first year u18 players and as said above they are only allowed to play if they meet certain criteria, most of the state under 18 boys are capable of playing div 1 and definitely div 2 the rest of the 15 year old u18 would struggle in div 2 YL

Reply #314883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754