Isaac
Years ago

Khazzouh heads over for NBA trials

Khazzouh, who has already signed with the Kings for 2011-12, leaves this week for Los Angeles, where he will meet his agent and travel to several cities for trials with NBA franchises. It will be an eye-opener for the 209-centimetre 25-year-old.

'Julian's great for Australia because he's rangy and a good athlete,' Turner said.

'To go the NBA, he'd have to be [18 kg] heavier and just as agile. So the idea is to really just expose himself to those teams and understand what those guys do to reach that level. For instance, when Luc Longley came out of college he was a very slight centre. When he finished his career he was a seven-foot-two [215cm] man-mountain. He learned how to build his body and Julian would have to learn about that too.

'Unless something spectacular happens, we expect Julian to be a King next year. But if something did happen for him over there, it would be great for him, great for the game and great for Australia. He would join Andrew Bogut and Pat Mills on the world stage.'
Read the full story

Could Khazzouh get an NBA chance?

Topic #25360 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

needs to get his skinny ass back to Oz first chance he gets. What a joke.

Reply #314453 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good luck to him, but I doubt he is a realistioc chance right now. I think given the right personal development program and exposure (such as this), he could be a real shot in 1-2 years time.

Earning a Boomer's jersey would also go a long way to enhancing his international reputation.

Reply #314454 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I dunno, I think he'd do alright. Is very agile for his size, would play a similar game to a Pau Gasol.

Reply #314461 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

him and Ninja need to grab a bucket of beef cake each

Reply #314462 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

He's a skilled big man. As Panther32 mentions he could play a Gasol-like game in a team that already has a legit big man.

Reply #314465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I haven't really seen any of Bargnani's play, but would they have similar games also? Would the gap between the ability of the two of them be that considerable that Khazzouh couldn't even be a prospect to camp in the D-League or sit at the end of a bench like Sean Marks? (Obviously Marks has experience on his side.)

I think Khazzouh is a year older than Bargnani. Inch or so shorter and gives up 13kg if you believe the NBL and NBA weight stats.

Reply #314466 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Hmmm.

What about as a backup to Boozer at the 4 in Chicago? They have Noah backed up by Asik at the 5, so they have plenty of size in the middle that could allow Khazzouh to play a more Gasol like game.

Reply #314467 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

An NBA Summerleague berth may also eventuate for Khazzouh and help him with his ambition.

Reply #314469 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Just cos the guy has the same facial hair and hairstyle as Pau Gasol, doesn't mean is Pau Gasol! As if people think he has a legit chance in the NBA LOL!!

Reply #314471 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Getting this exposure could also open the door for a spot on the higher end euro teams. Good luck to him I say.

Reply #314472 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

@rangaMITCH - what's the point of engaging in forum discussion if we can't discuss possibilities? should we all just keep our mouths shut?

I love how so many people still have the notion that the NBA is this dream place that no one will ever be good enough to play for. Yeah he may not have what it takes, yet; but people can get better.

Perhaps it's just easier for you to discuss things that "are" than "what they could be".

Reply #314476 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Sure there is a possibility, but in my opinion a very small one.

He might be able to be a roster filler on an NBA team or something. I just think that comparisons to Pau Gasol are seriously overrated. Khazzouh has talent, but that comparison is undeserved.

Reply #314480 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

@rangaMITCH, just because you can put a sentence together and post it on a forum, doesn't make you intelligent.

Of course Julian ISN'T Pau Gasol; the fact you even think that's possible is laughable.

But I agree with Bobby, J-Khazz has the skill set to follow along that same style of play. Certainly needs to bulk up a little but has the talent to Euro for sure and back NBA minutes. All depends on what effort he puts in towards that goal.

Reply #314483 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When he returned from Israel I remember him saying something along the lines of he is keen to play for the Kings long term rather than return to Europe, but of course things can change and my memory could also be failing me!

If I was Sydney though I would be looking for third party deals for him so that he is so very comfortable there and not wanting to leave, Penney-style in Auckland.

Reply #314487 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Yeah...I love how people get "doesn't mean he is Pau Gasol" from "he could play a Gasol-like game".

I'm not "comparing" him to Pau Gasol in any way except using Gasol as the archetype for the type of 6'11/7'0 guy who naturally plays the 4 spot and can shoot a jump shot a little bit - as opposed to a 7 footer like Dirk that has more of a mid-range game than post up.

My comment was meant to illustrate a potential way that JK could, if he got skilled enough, be useful to an NBA team.

Reply #314494 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Mate, I never said I was intelligent. Forums are here to discuss different points of view, just like you guys are. My opinion is that I doubt he will make the NBA.

My first post was immature, I'll admit to that. But I'll disclaim this as my opinion to say that I don't believe he is good enough to make the NBA.

I reckon 'No Deal' is on the money with what he said though about using it as an opportunity to get a spot on a higher end euro team. Khazzouh definitely has talent for Europe. I just think NBA is a stretch.

Reply #314498 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It's all about exposure and opportunity.

Who would pass up the opportunity to get over there and show your wares regardless if you think your a chance to the big dance or not.

Reply #314503 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

NBA teams don't want players his size who are 25 who they have to develop, they'd consider him if he was the same size and 10 years younger though.

Reply #314512 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Does Julian have a European passport? If he does he could pick up a gig there any time he wanted.

Reply #314513 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Not sure on this but I thought Khazzouh played in Europe for a year in 2009? He certainly took a year away from the NBL recently.

Reply #314527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did he played in Israel, good big man in the NBL but he's not NBA material.

Reply #314528 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

More of a chance in the NBA than majok thats for sure.

I would say its more of an experience and exposure excercise than anything. Something either he thought would be fun/benificial or his agent pushed him into doing.

Reply #314530 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Heal & Mills are way too short for the NBA - they made it!!All Star 5 in Oz, 7 footer with range. Smart!

Why not. I wouldnt die wondering...

Good luck J & u r as good a chance as any Aussie.

Reply #314534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idiot! Nowhere near an NBA type player

Reply #314538 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Maybe he's played a little alongside Trey Gilder, against Andre Brown,Luke Schenscher, not sure.

Reply #314540 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I dont think hes an idiot anon. Good luck to him!

Reply #314546 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

There are players with contracts in the NBA that are no better than J.K, good luck to him.

Reply #314551 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Exactly Mystro, Cleveland have a team full of them.

Reply #314557 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Any big man in the world with skills should be trying out for Miami this off season.

Reply #314562 | Report this post

Bucks  
Years ago

I think it's worth a try, see what level he's at. Anyone know what D-league Team he's playing for? Luke Nevill Done decent in the D-league and I think Julian Khazzouh is better then Nevill. I would also like to see Gary Ervin in the D-league and see what type of numbers he puts up.

Reply #314588 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

D-League is a crap league. It is full of "me-first" players trying to impress NBA scouts and teams.

Khazzouh and Majok for that matter are taking part in team trials/workouts rather than playing D-League.

Reply #314591 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ervin's played D-League before so you can check those stats, Bucks.

Reply #314596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

khazzouh has some skill but isnt an nba player.he struggles with gary wilkinson guarding him.imagine what a player with nba size and strength would do. majok also outscored him when they were both on the court last time they played against each other.

im betting he and majok will come back better players and be the starting centre and power forward for the kings next season.

Reply #314635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

alexrad - i dont think majok or khazzouh have much of a chance but the fact is majok can run the floor, shoot,get off the ground when he jumps and dribble better than khazzouh.so im not sure JK is a better chance than majok.

Reply #314640 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I said the same thing about Ater Majok that I'll say about Julian Khazzouh. While I don't believe that Khazzouh is good enough to make a full time roster in the NBA, he could very well be a guy who is one of the leading D-League players and someone who gets the odd 10-day injury fill contract on an NBA team.

Even at 25 he still has room for development and going over to America won't harm that at all. In fact he'd probably develop more in a few weeks of trials/camps with NBA teams than he would in a full pre-season with the Kings. Granted there are younger, bigger, better centres over in the US than Khazzouh but so what? There are also players in the D-League and even a few in the NBA itself that he is at least as good or better than.

And besides all that bull$hit, what has the guy got to lose? He's not likely to miss any NBL playing time and if he does pick up a D-league contract then all the better and good luck to him.

For everyone here who thinks Khazzouh is wasting his time, were you wasting your time when you attended the interview for your current job? Or when you asked your wife/girlfriend/significant other out for the first time? He'll never know unless he tries.

Reply #314887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great message holdenv8.your spot on.people think the nba is so unattainable and that the players are sooo much better than our guys.well they are not.

khazzouh is a skilled bball player and like majok has absolutly nothing to lose.

the nba has the greatets athletes - not always the greatest players.

obviously its the best league but its not THAT good.khazzouh would make some nba players look stupid on the court.

the gulf isnt as great as some of you make out.

Reply #315291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh and a majok/khazzouh twin towers would be fun to watch too anon.

Reply #315293 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

Wow are people really comparing Khazzouh and Majok??
Majok never outscored khazzouh check ur stats idiot
they only played each other once khazzouh had 16 point 13 rebounds
majok had 7 points 3 rebound and fouled out

your comparing number 4 in scoring and first in rebounding khazzouh to majok who did nothing and has done nothing his entire if u can even call it a career.

If you were given the chance to go over there and show what u got, would you give it up. NEVER.... Good Luck to u mate whatever happens and if ur kings colours next season cant wait to watch you.

hahaha ater starting for the kings next year haha.
HE WILL NEVER PLAY FOR THE KINGS ask bob turner, they dont want him at all.

Reply #316643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said!!

Reply #316644 | Report this post

yo_Smoky  
Years ago

hahaha Majok averaged 5.5points and 2.6 rebounds
NBA hahahahahahaha he is a bum wont even get a job in
the nbl, why even bother wasting the money on a plane ticket over there

Reply #316645 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Put it this way, if you had the opportunity to do what Majok is doing, would you take up the opportunity?

Good luck to both him and Jules.

Reply #316650 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jason, anon and yo smoky all posting from the same IP.

Reply #316665 | Report this post

BAS  
Years ago

Khazzouh?? - Mate no way he is too weak and needs to get stronger. He will get mauled at the NBA

Reply #316670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754