Michael
Years ago

Boti takes a big swipe... (mostly at Carfino)

Boti is back and has taken aim at some big targets this week

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fine-because-no-shows-werent/story-e6frecj3-1226035220207

Topic #25369 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

I am pretty sure Boti REALLY doesn't want to be invited back on Overtime again.

Reply #314576 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

I agree totally. Carfino has been ordinary for the game for years now, time to give it up! He is very unprofessional and seems to enjoy just having bantar with the ex player imports more than do his homework and come across with any knowledge of the game.

Reply #314580 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Unfortunately Stevie, having started out just as a pretty boy, has now fully developed his talent to the stage where is is now a full blown ( and I mean blown) ex-pretty boy .

You know, sometimes superficiality is more than skin deep.

Reply #314581 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Ron Burgundy is such a fitting name his smugness is annoying.

He can never agree or add to the other hosts opinions and just blows them off with a whatever.

Since he called Murry a crow i stopped watching!

Reply #314582 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Fine, because no-shows weren't

Just Boti being Boti...

Reply #314585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that he mentioned that Gibson has been linked to the Tigers.

Reply #314586 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Boti's a wanker..... Boti's a wanker..... come on boys sing along, Boti's a wanker..... Negative stories from Boti suprise suprise!! Go and report on the Footy i say, he has nothing good to say about the game i love.

Reply #314587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if the Gibson's-girlfriend-from-Melbourne thing is still current - heard that she'd moved up to the GC. That said, she's involved in some WAG-type TV show concept though not sure where that's based. Melbourne was mentioned to me soon after I heard Gibson was on the market but I haven't heard anything about that since.

Carfino's last year, surely. Has fumbled his way through the season while Gaze has been brilliant, Frank's been amusing and even Heal's been more than competent.

Reply #314594 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed at the website , a headline 'Lebron buys a share of Liverpool football club.'

Reply #314595 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

can anyone confirm if Carfino did bring up the releasing homocide issue with Gleeson while being presented the award? if its true then that has got to be some of the most unprofessional thing to ask someone at such an event. what an idiot.

Reply #314597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

trouble with steve is that his brains are still in his scrotum . every time he tries to make a smart comment his scrotum does the talking. adn always puts the horse before the cart

Reply #314601 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Problem is that Steve Carfino spent over a decade as the side-kick who made the Shane Heal/Andrew Gaze type comments and now is running the ship but has no padding.

I don't mind Carfino, so long as the likes of Maher, Heal and Gaze are also involved. Needs that extra bit of oomph. I think Andrew Gaze should be the host.

Vote "1" for Andrew Gaze.

Reply #314629 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze still remains the face of Australian basketball and the NBL in this country whether we like it or not. He has a regular radio gig with Melbourne sports station SEN and is a proven performer.

Let him loose as the host...I'm actually not sure but it couldn't hurt and he would be better than Carfino.

Shame the late Clinton Grybas is no longer with as as he would have been the perfect host.

Reply #314631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big marty l agree 100% gaza is the voice of basketball in my opinion

Reply #314632 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i suggested when i saw the first "overtime" programme that carfino had gone from a positive for oz b'ball to a "must get rid of".

i loved him when he was doing the "top 10 plays of the week"....... that's all he should be doing!!

gaze is the man for the job!!

Reply #314636 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I' m with LC, Grybas was good at his job and knew the game too. Need to find another one like him.

Reply #314638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've got Bill Woods sitting there on the payroll just get him back to doing the NBL again along with Gaze, Heal, Maher, Ronaldson etc.

Reply #314655 | Report this post

Spur  
Years ago

I disagree, Gaze is not a 'host', he's a co-host or a special comments guy. He'll probably do a Carfino. Don't touch a good thing with Gaze, he isn't supposed to be a formal, lead-type commentator.

He's the Reggie Miller of Australias basketball coverage.

Reply #314662 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I have to agree with Big Marty. I don't mind Carfino so much and he is pretty darn good when it comes to knowledge of the game and what his memory can recall of years past so as an expert commentator he fits the bill well IMO.

As for being the host.....this is really his first year as the host (though I do agree that job should have gone to Gaze) but as a host its pretty obvious that he didn't really learn much from working with guys like Bill Woods and John Casey for so many years. If he was smart he would have learnt everything he could of about that job but clearly he didn't because unfortunately after almost a full season as the bands front man, Carfino still has no idea.

Reply #314666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino's first year as "host" or the lead commentator was on Fox in 08-09 after they sacked John Casey. Carfino was sacked by Fox after that one season as the main guy.

Reply #314670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having watched the streaming of the MVP awards I was in disbelief at some of the comments that Carfino made throughout the night and his low level of professionalism. He should learn to watch what he is saying, even when they think no one is listening...... such as when he failed to announce the winner of the MVP before the highlights package. Anyone who watched the streaming would understand. He made the awards cringe worthy.

Reply #314672 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

After watching NBL, Overtime and some of the live stream of the MVP. I have to say my respect for Carfino purely as a TV host and commentator has really declined.

For instance the first game I watched of the season, someone on a team that i cant remember took a shot about a metre in from the three point line, and Carfino carries on about the Deep Three he had just taken. This sort of thing happens regularly with the "APE" and I dont think he should be the lead commentator.

Get Gaze or really anyone who can speak fluent english to take over. And is there anything to even say about the MVP ceremony...

Reply #314689 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I thought that article from Boti was gold. Funniest stuff I've heard from him in a long time!

I think Carfino is okay as a talking head who courts a bit of controversy. Its good to have those guys who ask the questions everyone else is too polite (or intelligent) to ask. You just have to give them the right roles (ie, Sam Newman, not Garry Lyon).

Clearly, hosting a black tie awards show should not be Carfino's role!

Reply #314692 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754