Ineedmore
Years ago

One HD to relaunch in May

Looks like everyones fears re bball and ONE HD may be coming true.

Topic #25372 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBLwill be shown, live, on digital free to air, for the next 4 years - it may not be called OneHD that it's shown on, but it will be on a Ten owned station.

Reply #314628 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - the Ten network still has the baskertball rights and a deal to show an increasing number of games on FTA TV, many live. Whether the games will be spread over One HD, 11 or 10 is yet to be seen...

Reply #314630 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I really hope so.

Reply #314633 | Report this post

The Realest  
Years ago

http://www.theage.com.au/business/ten-scraps-sports-format-as-ratings-profit-tumble-20110407-1d5ck.html

A drop in profits from $55 million to $49 million with a stable share price while trying to back local sport is enough for that spoiled little brat to pull the plug.

Couple of points:

- Parker and Murdoch wanted One gone so as not to compete with Fox Sports
- Gina R likes the right wing loony bolt and wants the country to follow his ideological world view....this is a bloke who with a straight face can say that taxing mining companies is inhumane but is pro cutting off welfare benefits to disabled individuals
- Murdoch wants to be known to be successful on his own

A lot of crap this is. Old man packer as much of a bastard he was did like to back sports trying to get a head-start. These two polo playing nancy boys would be nowhere without their inheritance and are killing a lot of people's enjoyment for the glorification of their massive egos.

Reply #314637 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I know you guys keep saying there is a contract about live games, but no one has seen any evidence of that.

Once again, the AFL has only been able to get a guarantee of live games into its next contract negotiations, I doubt the NBL had the clout to achieve anything like that sort of commitment as a cap-in-hand sport in the past.

They have delayed games this season - seemingly at their whim.

No one disputes the contract and its lifetime, the "live" part would surprise many I would think. TV stations do not give this lightly.

Reply #314639 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nothing much new from the article the other day. From today's piece:

One will now broaden its focus on engaging and entertaining males 25-54 and the schedule will centre on targeted drama, HD movies and documentaries, and premium sport.
Hope the NBL is included in that premium sport because another general channel just makes for another channel to flick past.

Reply #314641 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see just what premium means isaac. Given the ratings I cannot see that being NBL.

Reply #314644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you on about - it was the AFL that didn't want live games, not the stations. The AFL is only just giving it up, because they are going to get 1 billion dollars for the rights.

For the NBL, it is in there - not all games, but it is stated for certain numbers of games per season, certain games, etc.

Reply #314645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you mean given the ratings? NBL live game ratings, and replay ratings, were both up massivley. Sure, that's comparing it to FOXtel, but they were pretty good on their own. MVP did poorly, but the actiualy games went well.

Reply #314647 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO, I am not disagreeing with your overall point, but the AFL got live games from Ten some time ago. Whether they did with Nine and Seven is moot in this particular discussion.

From where I sit, the NBL have a contract, and they now have to work hard with Ten to improve the general appeal of the product to make sure they dont get bought out of that contract. Hopefully that decision isnt made before the NBL gets the chance to do that.

Reply #314650 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

LOL @ entertaining males from 25 - 54, that cant be that hard. there is a sure way to do that but parents may need to use the child lock out system

Reply #314653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I'm worried about Ten could buyout and discard the NBL tomorrow if they want to.

On AFL live stuff with Seven, article in the paper today saying Seven lose about $400K if games are shown live as they can fit more ads into the ad breaks when it's on delay.

Reply #314654 | Report this post

Spur  
Years ago

What happens to NBA? ONEHD did a much better job with broadcasting NBA then ESPN ever did..this is a sad day for basketball :(

Reply #314656 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Optimistically speaking, I think the NBL will be part of the re-launch. The ratings are up compared to Foxtel but also you have a fairly good market penetration - Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and the north Queensland towns.

I know little about how these type of things are decided but I would hazard a guess that having people in all major cities excluding Brisbane, and a number of regional places like Cairns, Wollongong etc, looks appealing to people with advertising dollars (media buyers).

Reply #314657 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Add to that, I hardly think that the NBL's TV rights would be that expensive.

Reply #314658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a positive not, Steve's MVP show may never see the light of day again!

Reply #314665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL are paid about $600K a season for the rights from Ten/One.

The problem is One HD is one of the worst performing digital channels in terms of primetime audience share.

Go, 7mate, Eleven, 7TWO, Gem and ABC2 continually get better ratings and it usually only just beats out the likes of SBS2, ABC News 24 & ABC3.

Reply #314671 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Australias population doesn't lend itself to running lots of fat channels, especially since the Internet is heavily used nowadays. Il say it again: allow Asians to play as non imports and it will be watched heavily in Asia.

Reply #314676 | Report this post

Romerio  
Years ago

I hope they keep the NBA. I don't want to have to go back to internet viewing, although that would be the preference over the ripoff that is Foxtel.

I'd rather invest in NBA LeaguePass....

Reply #314678 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, i am going to help you out a little bit.

here is a link to an article by Caroline Wilson from this week's age:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afls-1bn-rights-deal-20110404-1cyqz.html

The clear implication, look at para number 3, is that it is seven who is about to come to the party and start providing live games. The AFL have been seeking live games for some time. They have berated channel seven over the last couple of years (and even this week) when it looked like "blockbusters" have not been about to be shown live. So, to be clear, the AFL want live games in as many markets as possible and have for some time.

My point, (and yes you are disagreeing with it Paul!) is that the AFL have been wanting live games for some time but been unable to get it guranteed, even given their massive power and control. In that context, little 'ol NBL being able to secure guarantees of live games (even consistent live games) in their negotiations would have been remarkable - but, and I'll say it openly, if they did, good on em.

But... there have already been a number of games shifted on One this year and delayed - surely we would have heard a hue and cry about that from the NBL at the time?

As for ratings ANON, here is another article for you.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/ten-sports-supremo-sam-heard-heads-for-exit/story-e6frg996-1226016762413?from=public_rss

Note the para where it talks about a game in Sydney drawing fewer viewers in Sydney (THE most important market) than were at the game. That is not massive ratings, its not great ratings, its not good ratings, that is simply apalling. This forum established long ago that the ratings, while starting encouragingly, tailed very badly as the season progressed.

Have a look at this thread. I made the point here that ratings started well but started to drag badly. Paul himself, who always has his finger on the pulse, came back eventually and agreed with me and acknowledged that the decline in ratings were a worrying sign.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/24519-one-hd-nbl-ratings/#p299744

Anon, whether ratings were up on fox is not at issue, the ratings for NBL on One HD were still poor. Poor compared to other live sports, poor compared to what other digital channels were pulling for reruns of Hogans heroes and woefully poor had it been on regular FTA.

The sport has never, repeat never, rated well on TV in this country. It would be a miracle for the NBL to be considered "premium sport content".

I am not being doom and gloom. I hope they can make it stick. I am a very pragmatic bastard however, and I was around when TEN once before shifted games to late night slots because the ratings did not work.

Reply #314684 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Cut Carfino and the NBL broadcasting will be headed in a very good direction trust me!

Reply #314691 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Where's 'sick of fizzle' when you need him?

Reply #314693 | Report this post

Eunice  
Years ago

Get Sam Keckovich and Joaquin Phoenix as commentators......whatever it takes.

Reply #314718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I with the NBL was back on Foxtel - at least we would have been able to see the finals live. It's a joke that they're showing game 2 of the taipans crocs clash the next day.

Reply #314734 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Re the $600,000 being paid to the NBL by ONE HD, as mentioned above, let me say this.

Netball also has a contract with ONE HD and ONE HD paid that sum, whatever it is, to Netball Australia (or whatever it is).

Then Netball Australia paid back the FULL AMOUNT to ONE HD to cover production costs.

Make of that what you will.

Reply #314739 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ineedmore. My mail on that story is slightly different, which is that ANZ Championship is quite simply paying for its coverage not getting a rights fee and then refunding it.

Reply #314748 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I have heard the same HO, for whatever that is worth.

Reply #314752 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, an interesting comment from an 'NBL spokesman' re ONE in Boti Nagy's article: "Sport is not being abandoned altogether," an NBL spokesman said. "We will be on their channel."

If they stick on ONE and it becomes a signigicantly higher rating channel it will mean a lot more exposure for the NBL. Of course, with that comes proof one way or the other. The NBL's ratings now are pretty consistent with ONE's overall ratings I believe. If the channel picks up more viewers but the NBL doesnt that will spell trouble. If it does then that could secure a long term future on FTA TV.

If the contract is tight and Ten are still keen this could actually be a very good thing for the NBL, providing there is interest. At least we would find out.

Reply #314758 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

very true Paul. lead ins and lead outs are often critical to ratings.

Reply #314771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My apologies HO, you are obviously correct. NBL is doomed. We should all start following something else. FFS, the negativity of everyone in the "most knowledageble crowd" really gives me the irits.

Yawn, I don't know why I get so worked up on here sometimes.... writing it in hoops doesn't make it true!

Reply #314776 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry anon, you called me out - can't help it if you don't like it when your call is answered.

And show me once where I was negative. Does because you do not like facts put in front of you, does not make me negative.

Reply #314806 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754