missitnot
Years ago

Nationals U18's

Metro girls undefeated but have played the easy beats and country fell over against Vic Country which continues their poor showing at nationals. Country's only player shone but the rest struggled. Metro yet to play a quality outfit but should finish higher than country.

Topic #25387 | Report this topic

aussie boomers  
Years ago

Who are the standout players in the men's? Anyone have a chance at representing the Aussie Boomers in the future?

Reply #314998 | Report this post

baller 11  
Years ago

SAC Girls only just down after leading most of the game, the girls went very individual in the last 5 minutes of the game. SAC back up against Tassie tonight, they must win every game left in the minor round, if they do this they could still finish top in their pool as NSWM d VICC on day 1. SAM still to be tested in their pool.
Metro boys travelling well with a great 4 point win over a tough Vic Country team. Vic Metro, NSW Metro, NSW Country & QLD Sth all quality, will be a great week of competition. Country boys struggling early with both Vic Metro/Qld sth to open. This was perhaps the toughest scedule for any of our teams. Good luck against ACT tonight.

Early days! Go SA!!!!

Reply #314999 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AFAIK, there are 3 x AIS scholarship holders on the men's side:

Mirko Djeric / NSWM / AIS
Dante Exum / VICM / AIS
Darcy Harding / NSWC / AIS

Not sure about the women's side...

Reply #315000 | Report this post

lol56  
Years ago

Is Dante Exum the son of the guy Andrew Gaze dunked on in this video?

Reply #315002 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

lol56. if he is, then Darren Rowe has got some 'splainin' to do!

BTW, sorry to get all territorial, but aussie boomers, your tag does seem rather similar to mine?

Reply #315004 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes, it is the son of Cecil...

Reply #315005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spear dominating!

Reply #315006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro girls never will have a better chance of gold as it's not the strongest field by a long shot and they have their heads in front. Money's on them.

Reply #315008 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

SA Country boys got up in OT...were down for a fair bit of the game...

SAC girls got a good win over Tassie...

All SA teams going well...

Reply #315012 | Report this post

metro girls beat vic metro - well done

Reply #315017 | Report this post

Hydra 41  
Years ago

BMF

Country boys hardly doing well. Might not make top 8.

Reply #315025 | Report this post

Blu2  
Years ago

FYI, Dante Exum's dad is Cecil - but that is not him being "dunked on", you can see Cecil at the end of the video - no. 32 with the flat top

Reply #315039 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blu2, it's a bit of a forum in-joke after Cecil posted/emailed a bit of abuse over people perpetuating the idea that it was him that Gaze had dunked on. Streisand Effect in action. Almost any time the name "Exum" is mentioned, people will post questions/jokes about the Gaze dunk video.

Reply #315046 | Report this post

Blu2  
Years ago

Oh, I see, sorry about that.

Reply #315074 | Report this post

Years ago

sa country girls beat nsw metro

Reply #315075 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Yeah Sorry Hydra,...Was sort of trying to support all the SA teams without ripping one.

The country boys aren't really that strong, but i thought the comeback win against ACT was fantastic for them.

The SAM girls are flying so thats great. Troy would certainly be eying a gold or silver...would love to see a 1 v 2 play off between the 2 SA teams in the womens.

Hope the SAM boys get a gold too. would be great to see SA killing it.

Reply #315084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to sa metro boys and girls teams. Both fighting it out for a berth in the gf. Girls vs vic country and boys vs vic metro..... Go saaAaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Reply #315364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for new selection eyes and coaches for S A country especially for the girls sides. After almost a decade of myriad identified stars in the making they have underperformed yet again.

Reply #315379 | Report this post

Revhead  
Years ago

Yes we all know your daughter should have been picked, but thanks for reminding us.

Reply #315408 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Congrats to Vic Metro and SA Metro girls - great final

Congrats to NSW Metro and Vic Metro boys - well done,
not a great game, but a low scoring game (lotta missed shots) not what I expected from "the best players" but they get to do it 'all over' next year.....

oh and Revhead - great reply - inspirational

but I have to say - sometimes a change is as good as a holiday

Reply #315463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic's caught on and stopped the cherry picker something they didn't recognise first time round

Reply #315464 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

is it possible NSW did the same thing in the boys final and shut down the cherry picker/s
or
was shooting 3s from way downtown not the smartest thing to do?

Reply #315468 | Report this post

go you good thing  
Years ago

sa metro well done

Q - is that 25 3pa vrs 10 3pa in final?

Reply #315469 | Report this post

REVHEAD  
Years ago

IMNOBALLER--TELL ME WHICH PLAYERS DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE.MY REPLY IS AS INSPIRATIONAL AS THE ANONYMOUS PERSON WHO ALWAYS KNOCKS SAC AND THE KIDS THAT GET SELECTED. ANONYMOUS TALKS OF A MYRIAD OF STARS, DOES HE MEAN BISHOP, FRANCIS AND MADGEN PERHAPS.

Reply #315484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imnoballer - given you clearly wernt at the game, how is it you can provide a clear opinion on the standard of the game or what took place? Box scores and live stats only show so much.

Reply #315488 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

G.Y.G.T. - no I meant the mens final (bad shooting as a whole) but the 3s from way downtown - good option ? bad choices ?

REVHEAD - Im a Vic so no need to SHOUT, I can read - but can you honestly say you know who every anonymous poster is ? is it always the same poster ?

I cant say - and the reply "yadda yadda kid didnt make it - blah blah thanks for reminder" is an inspirational reply, IMO full of well thought out views and opinions and facts to back your claim
but cant anyone voice an opinion here
I actually agree with anon that coaches and selectors need reviewing after their performance at nats - not because of finishing position or expectation, but because the kids are reviewed every year on their performance so why not the hierarchy.
As stated before sometimes a change is better than a holiday.

Reply #315489 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Anon 488 - not at game your right

but the clear opinion is mine - its an opinion
not stated fact
but look at shot chart and give me your opinion

read the review, talk to parents that where there like I did and then put your opinion here.

if your one of the players or coaches - fine - put your opinion here.

everyone is entitled to an 'opinion' in my opinion !

Reply #315490 | Report this post

Years ago

correct it is a public basketball forum

Reply #315492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Revhead, I'm blaming coaches for taking very good teams away and under-performing. last year's team in particular and for several years prior, SAC teams have underperformed.
This year,while I think the selection was poor, the team had a couple of very good players and against modest competition SAC did not play to their potential. Therefore instead of recycling coaches through age groups, they need go get new blood because these guys are not up to it.

Reply #315500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If no one else puts their hands up to do the job how else can they get coaches

Reply #315501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suggest some names???

Reply #315502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many district coaches with a good district record and any number of women past players that would be worth a call. Very easy to just let things ride but being pro active means getting off your butt and chasing down talent not only coaches but players too.

There are still too many country kids who learn about selections after the event and too many country associations who aren't good at making sure everyone has the same knowledge.

Reply #315504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First of all they need to be country based. Be involved in a DNSP program.

Reply #315507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First they should be able to coach!

Reply #315510 | Report this post

Grannymay  
Years ago

Why do they need to be involved in DNSP?

Reply #315516 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Getting off topic guys..

Congrats to the metro girls on winning a silver...great job IMO..

Reply #315524 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The final results:

Men:

Gold/Silver: NSW Metro defeated VIC Metro 50-45
Bronze/4th: SA Metro defeated QLD South 84-60.
5th/6th: WA Metro defeated NSW Country 68-59.
7th/8th: New Zealand defeated VIC Country 61-58.
9th/10th: ACT defeated QLD North 63-59.
11th/12th: NT defeated WA Country 66-64.

Women:

Gold/Silver: VIC Metro defeated SA Metro 70-61.
Bronze/4th: QLD South defeated VIC Country 59-50.
5th/6th: SA Country defeated NSW Country 84-44.
7th/8th: TAS defeated ACT 59-51.
9th/10th: NSW Metro defeated WA Country 56-42.
11th/12th: New Zealand defeated WA Metro 55-51.

Congrats to everyone and NSW Metro Men and VIC Metro Women on winning national titles!

Reply #315549 | Report this post

red98  
Years ago

LC, you forgot the 13th/14th. I know the SAC boys were pretty bad, but surely they still deserve a mention?

Reply #315561 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

What was that song by Jimmy Barnes?
-- There ain't no 14th Prize?

Reply #315563 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

LOL - sorry ;)

Reply #315577 | Report this post

Years ago

colege prospects LC ?

Reply #315597 | Report this post

Years ago

college - any scouts from stateside ?

Reply #315598 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm not entirely sure as I was not personally there...but I would start with the AIS players and go from there.

Reply #315601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College coaches aren't allowed. BA directive. Don't want their best athletes going to College anymore. The next generation Dante Exum, Mirko Deric, etc... will all be discouraged from going to College. They will be asked to stay here and play NBL once they are ready to graduate from Canberra.

Reply #315604 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting...I'm not sure how they would stop a college coach or scout from attending the national champs in any case.

Reply #315607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There definitely were college scouts (not coaches) there. I talked to a couple (can't remember what schools though apart from UMass) and they all wore their school gear.

Reply #315615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know of two kids that are going to college already made up their minds

Reply #315616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous you are totally wrong about scouts not being allowed. They are certainly allowed but they are required to register their presence. There were certainly numerous college scouts there.

Reply #315636 | Report this post

there were about 8 college scouts watching the QLD South vs Vic Metro womens game. one from St Mary's, Idaho (or Ohio?), Montana - that was from the looks of there dress shirts!

Reply #315644 | Report this post

Tool  
Years ago

who was the player guarding Dante Exum in the gold medal game?

Reply #315645 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Yeah def scout's there....as stated they must register and they usually wear their college gear...

Reply #315647 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Also from what I remember they are also not allowed to talk to players during or at the tournament. Contact must be made after tournament is over.

Reply #315655 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Yet another BA brainwave - let's pretend that the college path is not a viable option and try and discourage it.

BA's view - young man or woman, you are a basketballer of some talent, but not so much we would ever think about using our funding on you, or even actually talking to you about where your basketball might take you. We would, however, like you at our beck and call to fuel our NBL/WNBL development players and 'underpinning league/s' and think your development is best served by staying in Australia where you can still go to school, accumulate a signficant HECS debt, pay for your own living costs and maybe pick up some petrol money in our second-tier league (probably not at your age though).

Player's view - hmmmm, I can go where they actually seem to want me to play, they will pay for my education and most of my living expenses, I can get a life experience being immersed in the game I love and another culture at the same time, and then come home and start a career and continue playing for petrol money if I so choose.

Sounds like a tough choice to me.

Heaven forbid BA should try and be pro-active and assist players making a choice, keep tabs on their development while they are over there, guide players into programs which will develop players or even work with particular programs in building alliances for alternate pathways.

Off-topic but had to be said - by the way congrats to all the young men and women and played their hearts out at Nationals.

Reply #315668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ankles is your daughter going to college?

Reply #315676 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Doesn't matter if she is or isn't (she hasn't yet decided) - the same thing applies to any kid in the country.

BA will tell you the college system doesn't develop players. Yet from my vantage point the BA development pathway has fallen apart - right now it's the AIS or nothing.

That doesn't mean development isn't happening anywhere else, clearly it is, but I would suggest that its in spite of BA rather than because of BA.

Just one person's perspective of course.

Reply #315699 | Report this post

Ankles, What development post U 20/21 state exists in NSW? Is this U23 a B A initiative across Australia with a view to further state nationals at this age or another dead end?

In SA while the concept of U 23 is fantastic, the reality falls somewhere in between with teams made up of both U18's and the odd case of U16's. S A basketball seems to fudge the actual playing numbers a little because almost every senior team is a combination of juniors playing every division up from U16's. That is, some players play 16 or 18's, plus U23's (1 or 2s etc) plus/or seniors 2/3/4 plus for some, ABl.

A player could play Monday night, Tuesdsay night, Friday night and Saturday night with lots doing 3 nights plus club training. Quantity over quality is BSA's catch cry.

One of the most disappointing realities for players post SASI is the lack of further development at anywhere near the level experienced and the overall poor level of coaching at 18's and above with very few exceptions.

Reply #315702 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Ankles
I can agree with you that BA are not encouraging players to take the USA College system.
I am not sure college is a good fit for female players who can step out of 20 nationals into the WNBL. We only have a handful of these players around the country each year, but they are better staying IMO.

For players who have not represented Australia(Junior) and are of Metropolitan State League standard, then it is viable, but rarely at Div 1 level. These players need to pitch at Div 2 to gain court time over their scholarship period. This is a far more exciting prospect that bumming around in Australia.

The WNBL / BA could really help players with transferring of Uni subjects within Australia so players can get around to different states and fill those 10-14 spots on WNBL rosters, but still study. Many players must compromise their education to chase the dream.

There is so much to learn after 18's, but currently programs (other than Victoria) have few options and limited opportunity's at the moment.

Handling the usa college system and the culture differences between Australia and the USA are still major hurdles for most players to overcome, with most not lasting the 4 years.

Reply #315705 | Report this post

RugBaller  
Years ago

Just want to break the news to all those people south of the NSW boarder that - You will be the second best in U18 Nationals from now on for a very long time.

NSW has got the depth in all its junior basketball teams for the next 20 years.

Go NSW

Reply #315971 | Report this post

titan86  
Years ago

Uhhh, RugBaller, that's kind of a big call to make when the U18's of twenty years time have not actually been born yet.

Reply #315976 | Report this post

RugBaller  
Years ago

titan86 - it goes to show that we are planning ahead and we have got a vison for junior basketball for the next 50 years.

Reply #315977 | Report this post

titan86  
Years ago

RugBaller - haha.

I actually think you're probably right. The improvement in NSW junior basketball in recent years has been dramatic. Something is going very right there.

Reply #315980 | Report this post

RugBaller  
Years ago

Haha Titan86 - We have learnt alot from you guys and we even recruited excellent state coaches from SA and Vic to get us where we are now.

Reply #315981 | Report this post

xXx  
Years ago

(Mod: Legally questionable. Please take it up with the relevant authority.)

Reply #315991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My child has moved on from Sa country, thank god. The organization as a whole is a disgrace, it's about time someone grows some balls and starts the cull at the top. If it wasn't for a few dedicated coaches who actually care about these kids, SA country would be a complete waste of time and money.

Reply #315995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754