Moses Guthrie
Years ago

RIP Malcolm Heard

The grapevine tells me Malcolm Heard passed away recently. Can anyone confirm? I'll happily stand corrected. One of my first coaches and someone I proudly call a friend to this day.

Topic #25393 | Report this topic

noose  
Years ago

Mal collapsed and died about 4pm yesterday whilst leaving the Burnside Hospital after visiting a friend.
A dual Woolacott medallist and 1960 Olympian, Mal was a great player, coach and a true gentleman. He had recently represented Australia in Turkey in the veterans tennis championships.
Our thoughts go out to his wife Jo, and son Steven and daughter Alison and their families.

Reply #315090 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Shedding a tear or two in your memory, Coach Heard. Will see you again.

Reply #315091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Met him at a function a couple of years ago, couldn't find a nicer person if i tried. Will be truly missed

Reply #315094 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

One of the earliest and greatest influences , not only on my basketball career, and many other players and coaches, but also in providing a great sense of humanity and caring about other people.

Reply #315095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spent time umpiring juniors as well in later life, a true champion who would sit and spend time with little kids encouraging them at grass roots level.
(and many did not realise the true star he was)

One of the best((

Reply #315105 | Report this post

family  
Years ago

Condolonces to Mals family and also to his brother, who equally was a great basketballer and SA players in his day. I agree a true gentleman and big contributor and truly respected by the SA Church Basketball community.

Will be sadly missed.

Reply #315110 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Great man ,mal will be sorely missed.I take my hat off for him.

Reply #315134 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Started me on my refereeing journey, to where I am in basketball today.

RIP Mal, a true loss to the basketball community.

Reply #315146 | Report this post

BelHombre  
Years ago

Malcolm was all those things that have been posted... A gentleman, a great dad, grandfather, brother, brother-in-law, uncle.
One of the pioneers in South Australian basketball and he gave back so much to the game in his various roles in different organisations - a true show of how generous and great he really was.

Reply #315301 | Report this post

RIP Mr Heard.

Pure class. You will be missed. Thanks for everything.

Reply #315400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754