KingJames
Years ago

Breakers Vs Wildcats Game 3 Semi Final Series

The deciding game 3 starts in over an hour. Who do you guys think will win?

I think it could really go either way. Normally I would think NZ would win it easily however in game 2 they needed Penney to score 38 (Score was a bit higher then normal due to foul shots at the end), Braswell to hit 2 unbelievable 3's and Vukona to be inspirational. On the other hand, NZ did have Abercrombie and CJ foul out as well as 20 turnovers (Perth with 12).

Perth had 44 points in the paint compared to 16. Perth 17 second chance points to 10 and 7 points off turnovers to 0. So I think if NZ tighten up on these it should be enough to get them the win as they have too many scorers.

NZ by 8

The bookies have NZ at $1.50 to win while Perth at $2.60.

Some interesting bets I found at TAB was:

Penney at $2.20 to be the leading scorer against Lisch, Abercrombie, Bruton, Knight.

Lisch to hit more 3's then CJ at $1.70
Penney to hit more 3's then Lisch at $1.70

Hopefully it is a good game like game 2 was!

Topic #25398 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

NZ for me. I can't see them dropping two home finals in a row. Penny will carry them again.

Reply #315150 | Report this post

Page  
Years ago

I think NZ will be too strong and won't be beaten twice in a row, in finals, at home.
Penney will have another good game but I'm predicting CJ's experience to shine through, and he will make some big plays, along with Braswell. Vukona is key for them and if he can stay in the game, NZ will stay confident and look a much better team. The Perth D will once again be tough but the refs are aware of their level of physicality and will call the game as such.

NZ by 7.

Reply #315152 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I actually think the pressure of playing a series deciding game 3 at home may prove to much considering the Wildcats defensive style of game. Defence will eventually prevail IMO, Perth by 2.

Reply #315153 | Report this post

Rooboy  
Years ago

Perth by 12 points if NZ shoot the 3 all night . Need more than that to nock over the champs

Reply #315155 | Report this post

Marc Howard  
Years ago

Live stats for the game are available at http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/1411/00/26/67/13uGdboOhX2k/

Reply #315159 | Report this post

Factfinder  
Years ago

NZ looking solid to half time. Really pushed it out for the last half of the second quater. Perth offense looking dull at best.

Reply #315163 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed Abercrombie making change from the top of the backboard , in the second.
Even though it may have never been done before.
( NZ look a little better team at the half.)

Reply #315164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Both teams have had 10 players hit the court by half-time. I know foul trouble has impacted them, but foul trouble is not new to the league. I think in the 2002 finals, the 36ers almost exclusively stuck to eight guys, and that was in a 48 minute game? Don't have a media guide with me but I think Holmes and Forman were 9th and 10th men and didn't play finals?

Definite change in the game style over the last decade.

Reply #315165 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

NBL live scores don't appear to be working

Reply #315168 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Rod, Marc Howard has posted a link above that is working - i was looking on the nbl site above. Thanks Marc!

Reply #315169 | Report this post

Factfinder  
Years ago

Brown ejected for hitting vukona!! Wow that almost really blew into a huge situation!! Players arms, shirts, body everywhere!! Just awesome!

Reply #315170 | Report this post

3 pointer  
Years ago

One thing is for sure that if the 36ers were to play these teams tomorow they would get beaten by 50!!!!
Commenters hopeless too!!!!

Reply #315171 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Whats that thing growing off Penney's chin.....the others i can deal with....his not so much!

Reply #315173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone else think the wildcats are just playing dirty the last couple minutes? getting beaten so they're just trying to beat up the breakers. and i hate new zealand

Reply #315174 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"anyone else think the wildcats are just playing dirty the last couple minutes?" Where have you been all season?

Fizzle I agree, I think Penney is just trying to look tougher or something.

3 Pointer, I think the commentators in NZ are great and do a better job then the ones here.

Reply #315176 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Big win to the Breakers. The better and deeper team came through in the end.

Reply #315177 | Report this post

Page  
Years ago

Thug act by Brown on Vukona.
It looked like Vukona was pulling Brown away from Wilkinson, but they were obviously having words as well, then Brown popped Vukona in the mouth. That was the definite end of Perth right there.

Reply #315178 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

sick of fizzle!!

Reply #315179 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Oh orbit take it easy... everything will be ok....after he shaves!

Reply #315181 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Perth went down fighting , .., ..literally.....

Reply #315183 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Think the refs deserved wat mika got!!!! At least we saw the beast!!! 4 the 1st tym n last time!!! Any keep count ove the fouls again? We couldnt even look at the breakers, wouldve got called 4 an unsportsman like foul!! Very dissapointed how the semis got dictated by three poofs!!! Proud ove the perth wildcats without redhage!!!! Injuries overall another great season!! Bring on october!!!

Reply #315191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't say I'm sorry to see Perth out, think it will be a foregone conclusion now that New Zealand will be this years champs

Reply #315196 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

who do you think has the best chance of beating NZ in NZ? Townsville or Cairns?

Reply #315197 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

GKcats- you are being a sore loser! Cj and abercrombie got fouled out on sunday and you're not complaining about that! Also, the fouls in the 3rd and 4th were warrented, brown and lisch deserved those fouls- stupid and cheap! In the words of Dillon Boucher "BOOM"

Reply #315199 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

GKcats has been an embarassment to true Wildcats fans all season, so the latest outburst of bad taste is no surprise.

Congrats to the Breakers. Evidently they just needed a good thrashing to re-wake them, but now that they're back in early season form they're going to be tough as hell to stop in the grand finals. Just too good in games 2 & 3. The Cats aren't exactly a shabby defensive unit so when our opposition piles on 99 points it's a fair indication that they're traveling ok.
It's going to take something pretty special from Cns/Tsv to knock them off now.

Reply #315202 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Props to the Wildcats on a very tough series, Townsville have prob dug a small hole by dropping that final reg game and sending Perth against NZ if they can get past the Taipans. NZ are now extremely well prepared for Finals Basketball and all the pressure that comes with it after this tough physical series that included some long flights for both teams.
Andre Brown is an idiot for lashing out at Mika Vukona right in front of the ref and he pretty much killed off any chance at a Wildcats comeback. Wagstaff was huge all series for Perth, got open and hit his shots and showed some grit and hustle as did Tovey. Trueman had a pretty rough game but played his heart out against his former team and will be well disappointed with loosing.
How high did Abercrombie get up for that block in the second? Damn!!!
Wilkinson bought some much needed energy to the paint at both ends and attacked the rim and was perfect from the field for a large part of the game.
Penney was just Penney and CJ got vocal and helped NZ out with his composure and experience.
Pledger stepped up when needed inside.
Vukona was almost everywhere and had his team mates backs when push came to shove literally.
Cory Webster came on and got his hands in the cookie jar straight away and Boucher did all the little things at both ends that he does so well.

Great series now bring on the Finals!!!

Reply #315207 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Reffing probably evened out over the series, and the Breakers were deserved winners in what was a great series to watch.

One thought, how much better would Wagstaff and Weigh be if they stopped attempting threes and spotted up at mid range? They are both money from 15-20 feet but ugly from three point range. Not sure why Beveridge hadnt picked this up earlier.

Reply #315217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ashman has video of the scuffle on YouTube here:

Reply #315218 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some will have different parlance , but for me .. ..NZ were...convincing winners.
I switched to pathos for Lisch n Brown - frustrated
and for Bevo n D.Martin who'd been like a theif in the nite, but couldn't get into this game.

Reply #315219 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agreed Paul, both have nice medium range jumpshots that drop. I guess with all the Breakers firepower behind the arc they were trying to keep their team in the game.
After surviving that tough series I believe the Breakers can get up in the finals against either Cairns or Townsville.

Game 1 of the NBL Finals Series in Auckland has already sold out. 2000 tickets had sold 2 hours after last nights final whistle and the rest sold overnight. Great that Auckland and NZ are getting right behind this team and making the NSEC a tough place for opposition teams to get wins.

Reply #315221 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

DJ Rod: I would rather get Cairns over Townsville as Cairns haven't beaten NZ all season where Townsville caned us at their gym. I think NZ match up better with Cairns across the court.
Breakers showed some backbone to get through the defending champs and make the final.

Reply #315223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think it matter who they play Mystro...Remember they got whacked by 40 in Perth during the regular season and got a win in the playoffs when they needed to..But just from a regular season W/L perspective they'd probably rather face cairns

Reply #315226 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hard to see Townsville losing the decider, they are absolutely due for an offensive outburst and I think this will be the game following a couple of poor offensive games.

Reply #315227 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I also think it is gonna be a Breakers Vs Crocs final Paul but I would love for Phil Jones and the Taipans to prove me wrong.
How great would that series have been if it was the Finals.

Reply #315229 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Missed yesterday's game...NZ have stepped it up and for mine the NBL title is now theirs to lose. Best team all season and they should now go on to win the title.

I am happy to be proven wrong.

Reply #315230 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I see Ubaka n Dorsey as gamebreakers... maybe if they played a full game, but they won't. Therefore , Townsville being a little deeper, will win, due to that.
NZ are deeper than Townsville and will win that GF play-off.

Reply #315232 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well, that's the way it goes... ..with all the subs n 10 players, these days.

Reply #315234 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe we'll see the NBL bring in a cap on rotations and/or a substitute rule to reduce the intensity of the defence?!

Reply #315247 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The deeper teams win,,.. while the stars sit on the bench

Reply #315257 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

U People i think dnt realy understant wat f u talk about!!! Sore loosers why perth no 1!! 25yrs in row to the play offs next yr 26!!!

Reply #315273 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #315276 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

gkcats- you are the sore loser- not the perth wildcats- bevo and the cats have moved on, but you clearly haven't!! respect the better team and stfu until next season, when perth with redhage will go well again!

Reply #315285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

redhage is done.
perth fans need to move on.
the poor bloke cant walk and ur talking about him being perths savior.its not going to happen.

there is no way andre brown is returning even if perth wanted him.

beveridge is an overated hack...this much is obvious.
looks great when his stars are healthy then once he gets a couple of injuries he falls apart and the team chokes on thier home floor in game 2...perth had the players to go back to back even without redhage...beveridge just couldnt handle it and had no answers.
his repuation just took a massive hit this week and will be even worse when prospective imports get word of the culture at the club...the bloke is an a-grade whinger.

if beveridge was such a good coach - stephen weigh wouldnt be such a piece of shit.i mean, you would expect some improvement wouldnt you?

Reply #315290 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

anonymous- what culture are you talking about? give us some insight? i don't think andre brown would be wanted back in perth. the guy missed many easy baskets and was not what the cats needed/promised!!!! BOOM!!!

Reply #315296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In every area except his long range jumpshot Stephen Weigh has made significant improvements. Great effort by Beveridge to get his team within a whisker of the GF despite all the injuries.

Reply #315298 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Perth are a great team and would have gone back to back if they had of snuck past NZ.

Reply #315304 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

So anon, Beveridge is found out because his team lost one game? Against a clearly more talented team? But I guess he had nothing to do with getting them to the finals (missing his best player) or winning that first game in NZ when they were massive underdogs?

Dang people post some rubbish on here.

Reply #315310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you havent been paying attention perth just lost 2 games in less than 5 days.

2 of the biggest games of the year as well.

clearly a more talented team huh?
your right - people do post some rubbish on here.

Reply #315312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In semi finals each year two good teams lose two games in a week! A great year from Beveridge and the Wildcats.

Reply #315317 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

well said Paul.

Reply #315322 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Wildcats needed to get scoring from Weigh in particular, Williamson and Andre Brown, who was almost redundant.
Matt Knight was huge but he could not shoulder the burden alone. He got good support from the bench, but Breakers took them out defensively in 2nd half and the Wildcats half court game let them down.
Breakers are always going to tough to contain and they are always going to put points on the board.
Hard to see Crocs getting close if they make it and Cairns have no show if they survive.

Reply #315331 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754