Anonymous
Years ago

Eastern Mavericks - U20 pulling out

Whats up with the EAstern Mavs pulling out their under 20 div 1 men n under 21 div 1 women? Also 18 div 2 women. Whats happening up there? Surely not another mass exodis beofre the senior level. With this happenening to Sturt as well whats up with the 20s program in this state. I think we need to encourage these kids to stay in the game otherwise whats the ABA going to be like in 4-5 years without the flow of these juniors. This could be a troubling time!!!

Topic #2541 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also note 21 womens div 1 north team has pulled out!!

Reply #28537 | Report this post

manager  
Years ago

seems the majority of kids from U20 are playing reserves and some ABL, and feel Friday night is too much to ask.
You add in University or school commitments and it is a big ask

Reply #28539 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Time for 20's to be pulled out of the competition especially at a div 1 level. Just have the best teams play at state champs.

Reply #28540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find Eastern are having more problems then just trying to field U/20 teams ;). From what I can tell it's going to get worse yet.

Reply #28590 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Anonymous - that's intersting, i have heard quite the opposite: Eastern have recently secured a couple (3) of state coaches, and a handful of ex-state coaches. looks like things are on the way up for the club up the hill.

Reply #28593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Care to share who those coaches are?

Nothing against the club, just I believe they may soon have a lot more problems with player numbers then what they do now.

Reply #28596 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Player numbers are an issue, but they have appointed a coaching panel to fill the void after K.Goodenough left.

All those involved with Mavericks were to receive correspondance outlining details of this, but from what i have heard names of people offering their services include (can't remember them all).

Prosser, Kilvert, Warhurst, Gliddon, Griffiths, Rattus,
Ninnis.

But, i only have 2nd hand information, and don't know what roles if any these people will be taking on.

The appointment of the coaching panel makes me think contrary to you. This panel is comprised of

Richard Hill - Senior mens coach
Jason Bald - SASI coach, State u-16 boys and ABL womens assistant
Mike Williams - State u-18 boys, SASI and Senior Womens coach
Danny O'Brien - coach.

With these 4 speading the work load, things aren't as bad as you'd think.

Reply #28607 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Anonymous, can I suggest that you sit back and see what goes on during the winter season and let the coaching panel show us what they can do, instead of making assumptions on what you may have heard or think you may know. There has been a lot of support shown and given by many people so let's let them do what they need to do......

Reply #28625 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

Sturt are not pulling out of U/20's. They have forfeited some games due to injuries. This age group has been low on numbers for a number of years.

Reply #28632 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

ya can have good coaches but ya need players for the coaches to coach. otherwise wats the point

Reply #28657 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

i think you'll find that it is the coaches that go out and recruit the players, sure sometimes players recruit their friends, but it still up to the coach to find the majority of the players, should they be lacking numbers.

Reply #28658 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

The u20 mavs have to travel something terrible, and their 2 (maybe 3) good players have reserves and ABL commitments and they dont seem to want to be in 20s at all...I dont blame them, its just not serious or intense out there when they take the court...so why bother making the commute.

Reply #28698 | Report this post

Years ago

i played u20's and no one but the players themselves can understand what is like playing in this comp. i also have ABL committments and the difference in talent and,games between these two levels are unbelievable. because in U20's trying so hard every week to be majorly disappointed was not the greatest feeling.
But The Mavs are not the only club who pulled out of the comp i believe Sturt, North and Centrals have aswell.
We would have more juniors in the comp if there wasnt so many politics in Basketball. Its almost like if you have a good or important last name then it doesnt matter how crap you are you get a red carpet rolled out for you. Thats why so many kids quit because no one is willing to give them a chance to play their own game. So it isn't only the players fault that they feel the need to quit but its the coachs, and other members of the basketball community that have screwed up the junior program for every club. what do they do about it? Sweet FA!
But The Mavericks now are rising to new levels just you wait!

Reply #33479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is disappointing to read about. 20 years ago U20 was very strong for a number of reasons. The major one being the present day decline in standard of the ABA. Players today find it easier to make senior teams when once they wouldnt, and had to establish themselves somewhere else ( both U20 comp and reserves. )
During the 80's ABA equivilent, State Bank League, only had 10 players per team. This included 2 US imports (one naturalised). As well as this all the 36rs would return and play for their respective clubs. It was bloody hard to play district. Just ask some of the former stars. Kinsmen, Kubank,Ninnis etc They will tell you the same.

Reply #33513 | Report this post

Hurt  
Years ago

In the Know, how can u say pull the under 20's out when there are people like myself who play for the love of tghe game and wont make it much higher in their club?
Doesn't seem like a good way to promote basketball in the state or age group.

Reply #33526 | Report this post

The modern game  
Years ago

33513 - Anon. Good point BUT back then it was probably too tough for the kids and they probably actually werent good enough anyway.

Maybe the local players coming through the junior system are more talented today and developing earlier than back then. I dont think the teams of yesterday would be able to match the skills, speed, athelticsm and shooting of todays teams. would be a great matchup though.

The local league is about developing Australian talent with the odd import and 6er smattered in to lift the standard and bring the crowds.

Reply #33531 | Report this post

The modern game  
Years ago

Hurt, yes a very, very poor statement by in the know.

Reply #33532 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:06 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754