wax on wax off
Years ago

Liz doing us proud !

http://journalrecord.com/2011/04/17/liz-bounces-back-a-pr-rebound/

Topic #25424 | Report this topic

wax on wax off  
Years ago

from the article .......

"Coach Nolan Richardson, who compared her to a young Lew Alcindor, raised his hands to the skies and said, "The Lord has given us a gift." ..."

great to see smiles and positive talk )

Reply #315618 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

She is overrated! Already talking big without playing a game. Her attitude has changed greatly in just a couple of weeks! She will be brought down to earth quickly.
Too soft for the WNBA and lacks any kind of outside shot.
One hit and that will be it for "our' Liz...maybe then she can again arrive to her team headquarters in a Limo!
To be drafted 2nd overall is a massive achievement and that is excellent for Aussie womens basketball, but she is so over the top and doesn't really like too much hard work or the endless trainings she will now take part in. More interested in becoming a 'star' - that is why she wanted to get to LA.
Sorry, but a bust waiting to happen

Reply #315621 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

good on her I say - living the dream.

of course you are correct - she does not have an outside shot - and maybe that will change.

and if it all goes pear shaped - the negatives will say "told you so"

but at the moment Tulsa are happy and everyone is feeling good - we all know the business end is still to come - but now is a time for positives - so get on board.

Reply #315624 | Report this post

meo  
Years ago

Good to see the tall poppy syndrome is kicking before she has played a game too

Reply #315625 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

did you ever think perhaps the lack of money is why she didnt like training so much? Money talks. I dont know her personally and wont pretend to but peoples attitudes change alot when there are alot of zeros in front of that decimal. Atleast now when she is working hard she knows it is worth it. People are money driven these days otherwise these sports would be played by volunteers

Reply #315626 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In Australia , - . the bigger you get , .-the harder people try to drag you down.
In America , she is very popular.

Reply #315627 | Report this post

Years ago

liz on BOK centre jumbotron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bY8oDnviy4

Reply #315630 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

SRT070 call me nostalgic but I recall amateur sports people playing in the top tier of sports being much more humble and passionate about their chosen recreational disciplines. Maybe it had something to do with having to to go to work between Monday to Friday with the common people that sat in the stands.

Time to take off my rose coloured glasses.

Best of Luck Lizzie, and enjoy the buzz while you are young enough. In a few years time you'll be considered a veteran and expected to be mature.

Reply #315631 | Report this post

Years ago

and on a T-Shirt cannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hH7V-T99rI

we gotta get one here !

Reply #315632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George is that you moral citizen this week? give it a rest. yawn yawn

Reply #315634 | Report this post

old sun fan  
Years ago

liz is a breath of fresh air at Tulsa.
Can't wait for the season

Reply #315639 | Report this post

old sun fan  
Years ago

Liz is just what the young female demographic needs to get them attending / following the wnba

Reply #315640 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

couldnt agree more big ads. The only point im trying to make is some people are more money driven than they are passionate. Not saying that is the case here but just to the people that are writing her off already that sometimes money changes things for some. I prefer the passionate type that do it for the love of the game. They are the ones that dont get burn out after a few hard seasons

Reply #315649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just like the fact she tried to go all Eli Manning and demand where she picked, and she didnt get her way. Nor should athletes dictate such things before playing a game in the league yet. Hope she does well and all that, but hopefully playing in a smaller markets helps her. Pretty steep to be comparing her to Kareem aswell, take it easy with those comparisons id say!

Reply #315651 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tall poppy syndrome = Some care not to come up any higher , but rather try to get her down in the hole that their in.

Reply #315674 | Report this post

Dazzler  
Years ago

re. money changing people - Liz is only earning 45k per year on her first contract!

Reply #315683 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good luck Liz...

FWIW, I think Liz is suited to the WNBA and the WNBA suits her! She will fit right in.

And as far as money goes, the WNBA is not a big $$$ league. Sure, there are a handful of players on decent contracts, but there are generally far bigger and a lot more decent $$$ contracts to be had in Europe for the women...

Reply #315685 | Report this post

FactsStraight  
Years ago

Gheorge Muresan - you say she's overrated? How so?

People rate her as the next biggest thing in Aussie women's basketball. They are right. People rate her as the person who will take over from LJ in steering the success of the Opals at future world tournaments. They are right. People rate her as good enough to be selected in the WNBA draft. They are right!!

RE: "...she is so over the top and doesn't really like too much hard work or the endless trainings she will now take part in".

She's over the top because she is a naturally bubbly, outgoing person. It has already endeared her to the WNBA's fans and the American public - it is exactly what women's basketball needs to gain a bigger fanbase. And if I were you I'd do some research before claiming that Liz doesn't like hard work or endless trainings - do you have any idea how much work she does? With the Boomers she was doing multiple weekly individual skills, fitness and strength sessions with Maher, TImms and Fox ON TOP of the mandatory team training sessions.

If she's fit enough to handle herself through Opals camps, World Championships and whole WNBA seasons without injury, then she's clearly not afraid of a little hard work. Give her a break.

Reply #315734 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Gheorge clearly knows little about women's basketball.

Liz will be very successful.
Might take her a season to adjust (LJ went a clear #1 in the draft and even she didn't win ROTY that season) but Cambage is a world class post player and when you're that good down low then the lack of an outside shot is utterly irrelevant.
I just wish she wasn't on such a crappy team. She is going to be one beaten-up girl in a few months time.
When she goes back for the 2013 season she should have some help, and have matured physically, and will be a force.

Keep in mind also that the WNBA pays poorly, but perform well against the best in that league and you are set to earn a lot of Euros.

Reply #315739 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754