??
Years ago

U17 Australian Camp - starts today

Was interested to see the list for the camp. Only 1 SA boy made it - Daly..... There were 4 bottomagers in the team that won a bronze medal. They won the bronze against QLD South (5 kids made the camp from QLD South). Surely there must be some more kids from SA in this age group worthy of a callup???

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1927&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=acfd0021fb

Topic #25442 | Report this topic

good point for discussion

Reply #315848 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

is sam daly any relation to tom daly??

i hate they didnt mention size positions and local team in that article, just put together in 5 mins without any research.

i understand basketball doesnt have the money of footy but why in the sport do we act like the poorer cousin? the footy equivalent would have had alot more research and information, and i cant see a cost issue in providing that.

who are the stars of the team, expected starters any ideas guys?? ive heard dante exum mentioned before.

Reply #315849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the following are Guesstimate on size/poistion

Possible starting 5
Dante Exum 6'4 pg/g
Mirko Djeric 6’5 g
Josh Derkson 6’7-8 sf
Cade Towers 6’9 pf
Nicholas Duncan 6’8 C

Fabijan Krslovic6’7-8
Gerard Martin
Jonathan Mbakwe PG
Siatua Solaese 6’6
Sam Daly
Caleb Davis 6’5 G
Oscar Lin
Jason Ralph
Archie Smith
Darcy Malone 6’10 C
Jake Horstman
Matt Jackson 6’7 pf
Michael Luxford Pg/sg
Jordan Mangan 6’4
Jack Purchase
Deng Riak 6’8-9 C
Felix Van Hofe 6’6

Reply #315857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There should have been more sa boys in the after winning bronze

Reply #315858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember it's performance based when the ones they want perform and potential based when they don't.

Reply #315860 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

thanks heaps anon, you have passed the effort of a ba staff writer!! probably took you 5mins as well.

any one else who can tell me more would be appreciated, especially regarding sam daly.

Reply #315862 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

sam brother of tom.........taller I believe and better Ive heard?

Reply #315867 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Although didnt believe he had a booming nationals? Keep optinos open selectors, dont let others fall thru the crack

Reply #315868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could you give some names who should of made it?

Reply #315871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you could put purchase in for derkson in that team. Purchase is 6foot7 and can shoot the pill. Derkson would be a backup 4 man IMO.

The list was announced before Nationals there are quite a few that will fall off now.

Its a very, very good group. Massive upside, hopefully they will develop and there are some International calibre bodies/athletes in the group.

315868. Daly will be fine. Talking to a few coaches that went over to watch they were fairly happy with him. He is going to be an outstanding point guard. Putting up 20 pts a game isnt everything when you are running the point.

Reply #315872 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah can definitely lock Purchase into one of those spots, he top scored for the Vic team during last weeks nationals.

Reply #315876 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Dante Exum
92 points avg 11.5 - 17th on list

Jack Purchase
65 points avg 8.1 - 47th on list

anonymous #876 seriously get your facts right

here is score table for Nationals link below -

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?client=1-4101-0-156119-0&a=STATS&sgroup=scoring&sgstat=Av%20Pts

Reply #315883 | Report this post

You  
Years ago

Mbakwe probably one of the best defenders for age group.

Reply #315885 | Report this post

RugBaller  
Years ago

Amongst the list of the U17 camp 2 is Siatua Solaese (Sia) who is unknown to most people but he could not be stopped by any big guys in the U16 National at Logan QLD 2010 through out and particularly at the final where he scored 19 (top score).

Again he did exteremely well in the U18 National at Ulverston (bottom age) scoring the second best 9 at the final. He will be the best defender and can score and out muscle any Victoria big guys under the post. He can also shoot the pill from inside and outside.
His strength is changing the dynamic of a game when he comes in from the bench.

He should be included in the U17 Team

Reply #315970 | Report this post

Quickbasket  
Years ago

Not sure of the QLD South boys ( Derkson and comp) they were mauled badly by NSW bottom age at the U18 National at Ulverston 2011 semi

Reply #315978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea I think QLD south bottom agers selection is interesting. Especially their guards..... The bigs hardly see the ball.

Reply #315996 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Directed at Imnoballer..... do you seriously go off stats alone??? If so then you don't really know basketball. Purchase is a late bloomer and just got a trial run at the AIS. Can you update your stats to show how many overall shots were taken by these guys???? Would be interesting to see which kids have the better percentage.

Reply #316000 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Has anyone heard back from the performances at the camp?

Reply #316008 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Reply to Latrentis

just above my comment (from anonymous) the statement was Purchase is a lock in.......He top scored for Vics...... Uhhhh no he didnt, so I put up the link for all to see

No one is a lock in (Exum the exception)

If he makes it great, good luck to all but dont state he did something he didnt when it cant be backed up

Dont jump down my throat because I stated fact and didnt put up utter rubbish - oh and Ive seen Jack play for over 4 years, and Im not saying hes not up there (he is) but there are others just as worthy

In my opinion - and thats just what it is - An Opinion

Reply #316024 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Reply to Imnoballer,
I just stated my opinion also, you seem to take things out of context... (eg: Easter tourny blog!) You come on to this forum and ruin it for others who want to enjoy talking with other basketball enthusiasts. There's no right or wrong here so enough with your 'stats' and trying to prove a point... Oh did you ever find out shot percentage for the Vic team??????? Didn't think so.
Maybe you should troll around other basketball forums and not ruin this one for us.
Oh and that's just my opinion.

Reply #316031 | Report this post

Roller  
Years ago

Latrentis , imnoballer is merely pointing out the facts after you made a mistake. Give it a rest

Reply #316046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:53 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754