Wayne
Years ago

Coaching hints required (7-8 yos)

After a long loing break I am back coaching again.

This time a group of 7 and 8 year olds.

None have played.

I was thinking of just learning the rules and how to drible stop and shoot in our 1 and only training boefore our 1st game.

Any other ideas?

With the parents I was thinking of running a 'how to score' training when they first arrive.

Any other thins I should tell/insruct the parents in?

Topic #25453 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Why don't you have someone more experienced from the Club score and sit with a parent to take the pressure off.

Reply #316056 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Is that you Phil?

Reply #316058 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Take ear-plugs to block out the suggestions that the parents on the bench may loudly suggest

Reply #316059 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Usually I teach beginners to pass first.
Two handed chest pass. Chest to chest. Corner spry.
Then dribble. Then dribble stop n pass . Explain travel rule. Then a set shot. Then dribble stop n shoot. Then see if they can do some layups.

Reply #316060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of dribbling practice, lots of shooting practice. Lots of jumpstop and pivoting practice.

I dont think coaches spend enough time on games, game drills. EG: chair basketball, dribble tag, golden child, 1 on 1 games etc.

Its one thing to be able to do a chest pass but its a ridiculous skill to teach as its not used in games. Get them playing games and putting it all into practice.

Make trainings competitive and fun!

Reply #316063 | Report this post

Competition? Outrageous! ;) those precious little kids self esteem will be damaged forever if you include competitions at training! Some call the police immediately.

In all seriousness, do something close to Camel and anomymous' suggestions.

Reply #316064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true Pickles....

I'm gonna just go crazy here....

Also encouraging competition and boys talking a little bit of fun smack at training... What about telling them that winning is important.... What about even making court time attitude/commitment based... wow... What about even setting some goals, dreams and aspirations so they can be cutdown and destroyed if they dont achieve them.... What about dragging a kid when they don't work hard in defence....

All crazy, crazy concepts designed to destroy the soul......

Reply #316078 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

When teaching the kids how to do a chest pass you can teach shooting basics as well- for a chest pass, get them to hold the ball as if they are shooting it (in shooting grip) that way they can adjust to shooting/passing opportunities quickly!

Reply #316098 | Report this post

yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo, yo.

that's 7-8 "yos" for you ;-P

Reply #316099 | Report this post

on a serious note -

team work and positive participation, dribble first without travelling, passing correctly and knowing the correct distance for passing.

would not be too concerned re shooting technique because kids that age will need both arms to generate the height to put the ball through the hoop - I presume it is at u10 height ?

Reply #316108 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

thanks guys a lot to take in

I was coaching u18 girls in adelaide (and a stint reserves women (assistant coach) years ago but now have kids of my own to look after.

I had thought about all the jump stops and stride stops, passing and dribbling.

Country bball is more like social so I am sure the parents will be fine!

Thank you everyone for your input.

I remember playing u18 Div 1 years ago where only two guys in our division could dunk. Grant Yates and Chris Blakemore if I recall. I am guessing it is a hell of a lot different now.

Reply #316112 | Report this post

common point with this group is they tend to take off before dribbling the ball (ie travel)

if you are in adelaide - get to some ozzie hoops sessions run by clubs.

Reply #316114 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Only one thing works with kids.

Make sure they are orphans

If they come with parents then suggest they do football or Netball instead.

That way you want have coaches that cant coach telling you what to do

Committe members that make sure there child is treated "special" not bothering you

and remind them that basketball is now the worst club sport in Adelaide as listed in a governmental report

Reply #316358 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Also teach the importance of spacing and moving into space (a basketball and young kids can be like giving chips to seagulls).

Tim Brenton, Matt Scalzi, Adam Cunningham and a bloke called Chappy should have also made that dunk list but Grant and Chris would have been clear favourites to win any dunk comps.

Reply #316455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROgers/Hawks maybe dunking??

Reply #316459 | Report this post

ok interested - can we have a link to that report ?

Reply #316461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754