basketball taxi
Years ago

Three Vics from U17 worlds switch to AFL

Disappointing to hear that 3 Vic boys from the last U/17 Worlds are not playing basketball and are playing AFL. Hope it is not a trend.

Topic #25457 | Report this topic

whooo?  
Years ago

Do you know which 3?

Reply #316076 | Report this post

basketball taxi  
Years ago

Ash Constable, Jarryd Fryer & Sam Gilmore, so I have been told!!!

Reply #316077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All good moves by the boys. In my opinion (and I am NO EXPERT) none of them had the potential to play INtnerationally beyond U17 worlds. All will do VERY handsomly with the AFL.

Reply #316079 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Constable and Fryar have signed up for Bendigo's U18 TAC Cup team.

Reply #316081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing AFL and MAKING AFL are two completely different things.

But if it's true, then good for them.

BA, with the NBL under the BA umbrella, needs to provide legitimate pathways, money and job security for young players. If our players can't work (and they aren't interested in college), then they should do something else.

Same thing for coaches.

Reply #316089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of doubting their ability to succeed people should be more worried about the fact 99.9% of players in Australia have no real hope of living the dream whereas there are more chances in other sports. Good luck to them and I hope they make it.

Reply #316096 | Report this post

RugBaller  
Years ago

Agree - AFL is a better option for the future of these boys

Reply #316100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

316096, you could say the same thing about AFL players. There are a hell of alot more kids playing AFL than basketball.

A young kid should give basketball a crack. The AFL/SANFL has a large number of former good basketballers in it.

If you are good enough to go to college/play in europe then the trappings can be far greater than been an AFL player.

Also dont forget the average length of an AFL career is 3 yrs. Hardly enough to set yourself up for life. Go with the game you love and basketball, been an international sport, one of the largest on the planet, and a great game, is certainly worth going for!

Reply #316109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fryar and Constable are at Ballarat Rebels not Bendigo.

Reply #316115 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My mistake...I was pretty close though ;)

Reply #316121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look guys a young guy of middling ability can pick up 500 a game in near country locations close to Adelaide in amateur league footy which is more than most WNBL women pick up a game and around the amount NBL players get for returning to play ABL.
There is precious little on offer for basketball players in Australia and the 1 percent who make the elite leagues don't disguise the 'poor cousin syndrome' ballers have with just about every other main stream sport.
Being a basketball player is for the love of the game not for any misguided belief there is a realistic pathway to some thing better.All the other tiers of major sports pay better than basketball and there a few guys playing ABl who could pick up respectable dollars switching sports.

Reply #316127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Constable n Fryar are playing with North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC cup, and both are struggling to keep their spots in the team!

Reply #316159 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Young Basketballers only make it to the top if they are prepared to work their butts off to get there...this doesn't change just because you choose to switch sports.

Reply #316239 | Report this post

lotum  
Years ago

Under the new TV deal a top 10 Draft player would command $80,000 plus $3,00 a game plus promotional gigs hard to beat.

Reply #316318 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Constable was is Rebels best players last week, hardly struggling...

Reply #316344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SixerFan, dont know where u found that he was in the best?!?
3 touches wont get you in the best!

Reply #316357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754