LC
Years ago

LJ puts Opals ahead of WNBA

Lauren Jackson pauses US career for Olympics

Great news for the Opals and the Aussies chances at making history by attempting to win Olympic gold. Now we just need a few others to follow suit...

From the article:

THE world's best female basketballer, Lauren Jackson, will pause her WNBA career to try to win an Olympic gold medal for Australia next year.

Jackson will skip the first half of next year's US season to spend three months preparing with the Opals for the July-August London Games.

Basketball Australia (BA) hope the entire Australian team will follow their captain's lead, as the Opals try to add a first Olympic gold medal to three consecutive silvers.

It is no small move for Jackson but today she said it felt more like a compulsion than a sacrifice.

Topic #25460 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

FIBA Story on LJ

BA Story on LJ

LJ was also on Melbourne sports radio station SEN this morning with Andrew Gaze discussing her decision to give up half of the WNBA season to prepare for the Olympics. She stated she hoped many of the other potential Opals would follow suit, but understood it would be a tough decision, expecially for the younger emerging players, to make the same sacrifice. She stated that this may be her last chance to win Olympic gold and she was going to do everything she can to win it. she stated she was usnure whether she would be sutiing up for 2016 or not.

Reply #316143 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

So basketball Australia are going to financially reward the players who do this????

Otherwise can't blame any who prefer to earn more cash and prove they should be in the team with there play overseas.

Can't imagine BA asking Bogut, Mills etc to do the same thing!!!

Reply #316177 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

By the way I am not saying it is a bad thing to do, but it just seems like a weird request to ask Professional athletes to give up some of their income.

Reply #316180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

depends where you're priorities are.

Olympic Gold is something this group has yet to do. They are good enough but have never had the preperation required.

This is the team leader, best player saying hey girls I'm turning my back on my career for the benefit of my national side. I assume hoping others will follow.

Well done LJ and lets hope it pays off.

Reply #316181 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be wrong, but I think BA might either pay these players or subsidise their clubs to keep them local in the build-up and maximise the chances of Opals success.

Can't really do that with the men's team as the wages are higher and they're not really on the cusp of a gold medal either.

Reply #316187 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

I think it's more to do with LJ being able to dictate to her club as she is more important to her club than the other aussie girls and the aussie men and her club would be doing themselves a diservice if they were to penalise LJ and obviously wouldn't dare cut her or even float the idea. They will most likely recover once she returns and still go close to a Championship.

The interesting aspect to this announcement is that she has, like it or not, placed alot of pressure on Taylor, Snell, Phillips & to a lesser extent Cambage to follow suit. They do not have the luxury of being able to dictate to their respective clubs, perhaps with the exception on Penny.

Here's a thought....Cambage tells the Shock she won't be around for 3 months leading into the Olympics in her rookie year and she's gets her ticket outta Tulsa afterall.

Reply #316237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage told everyone at the draft press conference she would be staying home next year so this is old news for Tulsa

Reply #316254 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Think its good what LoJak is doing... But as far as BA asking the men to do same, it wouldn't make sense since they have no hope at any medal much less a gold one... Love the boomers but half of the european teams are competing for silver and bronze and everyone knows the gold will stay in America

Reply #316286 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Liza Cambage, Jenna O'Hea and Marianna Tolo have followed Lauren Jackson's lead also committed to the Opals for London 2012.

Three Jayco Opals commit to pre-Olympic preparations

From the BA article:

WNBA bound Liz Cambage and Jenna O'Hea, who left for the US this week, officially committed to the program, along with WNBL All-star five forward and member of the 2010 World Championship Opals team, Marianna Tolo.

Reply #317692 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754