Jack Toft
Years ago

R4 ABL Action

Looks a bit like rivalry round this round.
North vs Norwood @ Hillcrest playing for right to be the best Nor...
Women: The Norwood juggernaut rolls into Hillcrest tonight and North will be left on their launchpad as Norwood seeks top spot in their own right. Momentum is with the Lady Flames with Foley and Ireland leading the charge. North had a tough loss last round after they couldn't buy a basket in the fourth. Norwood pulverised the Mavs in the first half last round, but must have taken the foot off in the second half to save some huff and puff for the Sunday game. Will be a night tight game of cat and mouse with the Flames toying with they prey.
Men: North are at the foot of Mt Everest with a rucksack full of nothing but rocks. Norwood, Sturt, Mavs are their next three rounds and it looks like not even Bear Grylls could get them out of this one tonight. Could they be 0-6 in a few weeks? North to be in more trouble than a Labor politician. Davo can "breath easy" tonight as his Addams family understudies lurch to an easy win.

Woodville vs West @ St Clair playing for the Jimmy Barnes Cup
Women: The young Woodville team faces a tough test this week. West are travelling well at the moment and seem to show no mercy in what will be the race for % at the end of season. West might just send another signal to the rest of the competition they are serious about a title this year and in Woodville’s eyes will be as popular as Fergie at the royal wedding and the Chaser Team commentary.
Men: Roll up your flanelette shirt sleeves, dust off your black jeans, finish off your Farmer’s Union Ice Coffee, and find time for a quick ciggie as these two teams battle for pride of the western suburbs. I expect Woodville’s Knight in shining armour will lead their charge and “Billy” Birmingham has stepped up another level since his return. Woodville will be hoping that Dowdell is still on holidays and doesn’t have another “big day out”. Al might be green with envy when West rings his bell.

Tigers vs Panthers @ Siberia South playing for the title of Big Cat of the South
Women: Panthers couldn’t buy a basket in the dying seconds last week to go down by 1 point…again….after having a fantastic 3rd quarter. Tigers were too strong against the Warriors, but too many TO’s girls! This should be another close game proving just how tight this season will be. Tigers to have the edge at home and be the bigger cat, South to be the pussycats in the womens.
Men: Tigers broke the seal with a win last round, and showed they could match it with the NBL’s tenth team, the Mavs. Tigers seem to be spreading the love at this stage will all the team providing “good” contributions, but good is not good enough against a team with two Sixers stars who can lift their team when needed. South to be the bigger cat tonight, Tigers to be the pussycats in the mens.

Lions vs Mavs @ Siberia North playing in the Pariah Cup
Women: So far this season beating the Mavs has been as easy as taking pennies off the eyes of a dead man, but they won’t be as easy to beatty tonight. The much improved Lionesses have been putting up strong performances and they expect to hunt well tonight. Mavs with already one hand on this year’s wooden spoon will snatch it with another loss tonight. Beatty has added a dimension to a team who has improved last round, but the Lionessess have improved more.
Men: Brad Hill’s tiger hunters move from the Mt Barker jungle to the dry, dusty plains of Gawler on a lion hunt. If the Mavs have a weakness, it’s their defence, or lack of it - they're all attack. The Lions are probably well placed to expose that tonight with their youthful guard heavy team who need to run the ball hard if they want any chance of a win. “Tally-ho!” old boy, the tenth NBL team to skin the Lions tonight and sip their G&T’s.

Eagles vs Sabres @ Wayville playing for the silver spoon
Women: Both teams are travelling very nicely at the moment. But hang on to your hat people – 21 TO’s to Sturt against Lions? Did they go in thinking “this is going to be easy”. The tension in Wayville tonight will make this a pressure cooker for both teams looking for the edge over the other. Eagles better handle the heat in this kitchen tonight in what should come down to the last play of the night.
Men: Will the Sabres be the lotion for the Forestville Rash? The undefeated Eagles face their first real test tonight against the blue bloods of the League. The Ninja was dynamite last week with a lazy 27 points in his return game. There’ll be more fancy cars in the carpark than at the royal wedding with James Hewitt tipped to make a surprise appearance as valet. Anyone not putting 100% in all quarters will be as useful as a TV remote on a royal honeymoon. Sturt might just pull away in the last chucka.

Topic #25464 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Luv your work-- again!

Reply #316164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the sunday games?

Reply #316169 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TV remote, haha. Nice work as usual.

Reply #316170 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Don't forget Sunday's games Jack!
Also a few past players playing aginst former sides, Hambour and Ely (in the 90's!) against North, Boal against the Tigers, Pilks and Truck against South.

Reply #316171 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whenever former players play against their old team, the elbows are always a little sharper...

Reply #316174 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I have been waiting for a Royal Wedding just to use that line.

Sunday's games review to come out tomorrow

Reply #316175 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Any chance of a Wedding Preview?
What about some classics from Prince "smiley" Philip?

Reply #316176 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Mens tips....
norwood over north by 15+, norwood just to big and strong
Woodville over west by 10 or less, no dowdell no win
South over southern by 20+, 36ers are too much
Eastern over centrals by 25+, hill and bruce will be too much
Sturt over forestville at the buzzer, best game of comp but reckon sturt could pull it off if they can find someone to control tucker and get ng going

Reply #316199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Dowdell no win? You tool Crowsfan. They havent had him the last 2 games nad have won both of them.

And he is playing this weekend anyway!

Reply #316217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, West have a good line-up, mind you Woodville have some good bigs as well.

Reply #316223 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Tool??? Haha sorry tough guy didn't kno he was playing... And talkin about the past two weeks they didn't need a big either game... North has no bigs and centrals is just that bad... West barely won either game anyways... With him playing this week they could possibly pull it out, but it definitely will be a game still as woodville has several quality bigs and Zane Reeves will play this week from what i've heard...

Reply #316234 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I'm sure Dowdell will be crapping himself knowing that Reeves is playing.

Reply #316249 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

@oden apparently reading isn't your specialty, I never said anything about Reeves being in the same class as Dowdell, but he helps any team he is on especially offensively.... Will be interesting to see the battle of the bigs... Dowdell and Truslove are higher quality but Woodvile is deep inside

Reply #316258 | Report this post

D-Lin  
Years ago

"I never said anything about Reeves being in the same class as Dowdell, but he helps any team he is on especially offensively." Yep, he's guaranteed to piss some of his team mates off by shooting stupid shots with 2 guys on him. Call that helping a team or hindering, that's for others to decide.

One thing that Reeves certainly doesn't do is play defense, on his man or help out his team mates.

Reply #316262 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Opinions are like arse holes I guess, everyone has one... He can also beat all of West's bigs up and down the court... But this thread isn't about Zane Reeves, its about the round and I still reckon Woodville will get it done saturday even with Dowdell...

Reply #316265 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Didn't woodville lose to Southern and they have no bigs at all...how did the bigs go in that game???

Pilkington 0/7, 0 pts, 7 rebs
Blight 0/2, 2 pts, 1 reb
Egel 2/10, 5 pts, 4 rebs
Knight 4/17, 10 pts, 10 rebs

Out rebounded 37 to 49...damaging stats against a team who doesn't really have a decent big man... Maybe that was the problem, those guys are too big, too old (well just Pilks and Blight! ;) ) and too slow for the smaller Tigers.
Who knows, you may be right, they may be able to keep up with Blake up and down the court!

Reply #316268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reeves may be awful at defense and hook up with the occasional questionable woman but you cant question his offensive game..

Reply #316270 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Questionable women is a bit of an understatement haha... Sounds like Woodvilles bigs didn't show up last round at southern, guess i'm lucky its rnd 4 and not 3...

Reply #316274 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Reeves tends to help the opposition team with their offence more than help his own team with offence.

Sorry, he helps his own team with offence when he subs out

Reply #316292 | Report this post

Not long  
Years ago

Didn't take long now they have left the fold.....

They weren't too slow or old last year it appears...

Reply #316294 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The signing of Johnson and Creek, made them too slow and old :P

Reply #316299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowsfan you are obviously smoking some of that woodville green.

Your comments about west only just beating centrals and north are also unfounded.

Yes Dowdell didnt play and the centrals game was a struggle (as many centrals games can be) but they won in the end (sturt didnt win by much either and Jacob, Darren and Daly all played) and they were up on north by 20 for most of the last before north got it back to 13 in garbage time.(the same north who only lost to woodville by a point and south by a point with creek playing).

Reply #316300 | Report this post

Onion Man  
Years ago

Reeves is gonna lay a " Beatty " on west !!!

Reply #316304 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I don't know if I would say that "Not Long"!!!
Just a bit of friendly trash talk with some former teammates and friends! Lol..

Reply #316322 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Lay a beatty bahahahaha!!! I love it!!!!!

And as far as a people struggling with centrals, sturt didn't play well i'll admit but it didn't look to me as if Norwood struggled at all dominating every aspect and winning by 20+... Anyway none of this talk means anything I just can't wait till saturday at st clair to see what happens... Definitely worth the price of a ticket to me!!!!

Reply #316414 | Report this post

what the!  
Years ago

yes the talking will be done on the court PANTHER

Reply #316438 | Report this post

good question  
Years ago

Well a good game tonight at the cage !!!
Good to see the young cubs get up over the fancied Panthers, but the panthers looked a little lost, up S#%T creek with several paddles, felt sorry for poor old Shane still working tirelessly for no result

Reply #316472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville beat west, there bigs killed them

Reply #316474 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

Sturt comfortable over forrestville. 88 - 72.

Warbout 22pts, 7reb
Holmes 6pts (3/14) 17reb, 10ast
Ng 15pts, 12reb

Holmes held tucker to 7/24

Reply #316476 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Eastern over Centrals by two.

Hill 36pts at 79%

centrals looked the goods, but Hill really played closer

Reply #316477 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Forgot to mention....

Rebounds
Eastern 23 Centrals 45

Reply #316478 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

good question, you failed to mention the foul count of 11 on Tigers and 23 on South. That sounds like a very fair job by the umpires. I still don't understand how DJ can get hacked so much inside with no calls. One time on a rebound a guy clearly fouled him, so much so that DJ turned around, grabbed the guy and attempted to throw him to the ground. The umpires didn't call a foul on DJ because obviously they should have called a foul on the other guy originally but didn't.

Even with the lopsided umpiring, South should have won but Tigers put in more effort and deserved to win it from that perspective. South could only score 20 points in the second half at about 22%.

Reply #316490 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Apparentley I wasn't smoking woodville green after all and West isn't quite the team some of u thought they were

Reply #316492 | Report this post

dione20  
Years ago

I'm not a Woodville or West fan, but I'm pretty sure West will be around the mark come finals time. I'm also pretty sure Woodville will just be making up numbers, if they are there at all. One game does not a season make. Crwos Fan, might be a little premature to come on here and claim bragging rights.

Reply #316498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know how the young kid from North Adelaide is after being knocked out against Norwood

Reply #316501 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

I am not a fan of woodville either but I had seen both teams play and I just think woodville the better team... No bragging rights claimed here just enjoy being right is all

Reply #316502 | Report this post

vista90  
Years ago

Crows_fan67 - "I am not a fan of Woodville". hahahaha!!!

Reply #316506 | Report this post

Hg  
Years ago

Crows fan it's pretty clear mate you are a Woodville fan if not one of their players ?

Reply #316508 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Sorry to disappoint u kids but I didn't even end up going to st clair... Ended up watching north v norwood instead... Just a fan of the game who happened to make a good pick this week unlike some others...

Reply #316510 | Report this post

ganymeade89  
Years ago

No names mentioned but wouldnt be hard to work out.Someone in authority is either blind to their reffin' or needs to go and and alter them.
Senior Admin need to view previous video'd games. I am not in authority more like a keen CABL follower.I am not fair to these two-fair enough(left out a lot of details in fairness),but 9 teams are getting unbalanced ,illegitamite,deliberatly pathetic calls. Experienced witnesses cannot see what drove them to these decisions during the game.

Well I would still say this even if yyyy won but one ref/ump from this game and sounds like another at the xxxx(relying on statements of others) game are trying to influence things instead of players. I have seen them at other matches,last year.Ive already seen them this year, its regular . Beware the other teams.
I know its cryptic but let me say they are thought of, as the best last year?

Reply #316511 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

Cryptic??

And a great fire will be cast from the heavens unto the two brothers.
The fire will afflict the brothers for seven days.
One brother will be struck down,
the other.... will walk away with a nasty limp ;)

Reply #316514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Crows Fan - did you see what uneven floorboard the North player tripped over to knock himself out cold?

Reply #316539 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Haha it looked pretty unco

Reply #316570 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

A player falls, knocks themselves out and it's a laughing matter?

CrowsFan you make Karl Stefanovic look less like a dickhead every day!

Reply #316628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No The Answer - you have it wrong. He was already knocked out before he hit the floor. But the two blind mice missed it. I hope the kid's jaw is in one piece!!!

Reply #316632 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Even still, a player being knocked out cold, no matter how it happened is not a laughing matter as Crows Fan seems to think it is.

Reply #316677 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

@the answer, people take hits every game so stop preaching... I thought he just tripped as thats what it looked like and if he had then yes I find that funny... The kid has to grow up sometime so pop your nipple out of his mouth and let him!!!!!

Reply #316684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the the number of hits handed out proportionately increases by the number of years you are past it as a legit basketballer!!

When you resort to that stuff time to bring out the wig and give the game away!!

Reply #316687 | Report this post

rocketeer  
Years ago

Sorry, wasn't at the game....

Which player fell/got hit and who was the alleged culprit?

Reply #316689 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Crows Fan, it has nothing to do with protecting the player.

I find it disgusting that you can laugh at someones misfortune of being knocked out. There can be long term health ramifications for that (just look at AFL/NRL where they are really starting to get scared of the OHS ramifications, and legal cases are starting from concussion instances).

You act like a tool on here, sprout a load of bullshit and think your the best thing since sliced bread. Why dont you go back to the sandpit and let the grown ups play.

Reply #316743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow the answer, surely that is the pot calling the kettle black. How times have changed.

Reply #316758 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Answer, one instance as small as the one we are discussing does not cause longterm effects so step down off your soapbox and stop your preaching. If u find my posts disgusting and bullshit then why don't u close your eyes, skip over them, or whatever else will make u happy. With the emotions in your last post it is obvious to me u are either an post-adolescent boy or I have offended u in a previous post, neither of which bother me in the least. And as far as me sprouting bullshit, your only post other than disagreeing with me was to say a player helped the opposition more than his own team. As far as going back to the sandbox, us adults are speaking and u should wait your turn.

Reply #316803 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

"best thing since sliced bread". I'm guessing from your 1980's slang that u are an adult (or at least of adult age) that I offended, sorry your team lost, get over it

Reply #316804 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Aw, come on folks, too much crypto. Be more interesting to read these exchanges (nipples and all) if you named the player.

Who got knocked out (or fell)- can't be a state secret - not juniors

Reply #316807 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

I don't kno his name, first time i've ever seen him get on the court... He is pretty young I reckon

Reply #316813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not talk about Neville Caldwell in the early 80's who alledgedly got king hit by Dave Grainger. Has impacted his life ever since.

So who says one hit can't cause permanent damage unless you are a brain surgeon Crows-Fan.

In my personal opinion if there is footage of the incident the offender should be reported and suspended. The AFL has cracked down on this behaviour to set an example to juniors. What example was that to the juniors at the game!!

Reply #316829 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

LOL Crows fan you're funny!

My team hasnt lost this season...yet....

As far as the dangers of being knocked unconscious, once it all it needs. Remember you dont know who posts on here, or what their background/skills/qualifications are.

I acknowledge that likewise, I dont know who you are, or anything about you. I just think (and it's my opinion, this is a forum where we are allowed to express them!) that it was really poor form to laugh at a player being knocked out. REALLY poor form.

Reply #316844 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:14 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754