KB3
Years ago

Homicide now a free agent

he just tweeted that he is not being picked up by Tigers.

Topic #25467 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

not surprising with Gleeson now in. it always looked like the Tigers got him as a temporary fix.

Reply #316193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come to newcastle!

Reply #316195 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

he's asking the same amount of $ as the amount of turnovers he had per game, no one can afford him

Reply #316196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson said as much on SEN here in Melbourne at lunchtime today.

"Australian talent comes first", then he'll decide on the imports. It also remains to be seen if DMAC will be his Ass.

Reply #316197 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While at the end of our season , Clark did say he would speak to him, and our assistant coach (just forgotten his name).. also mentioned something about a good Aussie coming here sooner than later.

Reply #316200 | Report this post

Here's Humphrey  
Years ago

You would have to think one assistant will stay and one will go.

Reply #316202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@mystro - why the hate?

He also averaged more rebounds than anyone for the sixers this year, had more assists than anyone for the sixers this year, and more points than anyone for the sixers this year. If he was playing for us he would have come first in just about every single statistical category. Also, when you have to carry a shit team like he did, you are gonna have turnovers.

Lets get him to the sixers!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion we should do everything we can to get Homicide, then get Luke back, and then surround them with quality shooters.

PS. Gibbo aint no homicide.

Reply #316204 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Trev must have reasons for not wanting him!

Reply #316207 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Actually anon Corey and Jacob averaged the same in rebounds at 6.8 per game

Agreed though that is a fair effort from a guard and one that is not that tall at that.

Reply #316209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blalock aint no Homicide either but they didn't do any worse with him. They finished higher on the ladder with Blalock.

Reply #316216 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Blalock also had a better big man and Crawford having his best season..........

Reply #316218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

May not have been able to afford Schenscher while Homicide was there.

Reply #316221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

Exactly.
-------
How come people judge NBA players on how many rings they have, yet when it comes to the NBL it makes no difference, and people use stats to judge players?

I know people who say Lebron sucks because he has no rings, and then go on about how good Homicide is.

Reply #316225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+1 for homicide right here. With the rash of crappy imports we have had the past few seasons why not take somebody who is proven in the league. I know money may be an issue but he is an excitment machine, has tons of personality and can flat out play. He is definately worth considering if they can make the numbers match.

Reply #316226 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

which ever team signs homicide they will need a very strong coach to control him,on and off the court.

if gleeson is shying away from him...beware !!

Reply #316228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point on judging people on number of rings.. exactly why i dont see gleeson as being a good signing for the tigers. he hasnt even made a grand final!

Reply #316231 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Gc blaze! He is already in brissy!

Reply #316232 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

judging people on rings is an american thing......judging people as people is an australian thing!

Reply #316252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The work the 6ers have done with the culture would be undone with Homicide in the team. Word is he gets to training late, still drunk, and puts in little effort. Given the regime Marty and Mark set, very very unlikely to work here.

This is bad news for us though. Gibbo much more likely to go to Melb, with Homicide out of the equation.

Reply #316260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide = bums on seats. Basketball is all about the show. I'd Accept homicide with open arms, imagine the heights his game could reach with the best crowd in the league pumping him up anyone who saw the 80's DVD with big al nailing and ( forgive me ) Julius hodge would realize how much that type of player can improve the aura of our club and make the pain of the last 3 seasons go away. I just think everyone is blinded by gibbo, he's not that special

Reply #316263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best crowd in the league? what r u smoking?
The most knowledgable? teh highest crowds last season, Sydney won that awardbut i guess u didnt know that.
SoS have little money and all the ppl here think this and that with little idea where tha money will cum from.gibson and shencher and lots of money already little to spend on the rest.

Reply #316271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate your a knob. We are the best crowd in the league. So what if Sydney pull more people. They wouldn't know good basketball if their life depended on it. If we had homicide we'd get 7000+ it's a fact. Don't you remember when Julius was here? I do, the dome was rocking you've got no clue. Fuk gibbo he can piss off, homicide would be $50,0000 cheaper than gibbo and generate $200,000 more money for the club with crowd numbers. You've got no fukin idea I've been going to the sixes for 25 yrs.

Reply #316277 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When Hodge was here, we got 7000+ because it was Smyth's final game as coach.

Reply #316284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did the Sixers average for crowds over the two seasons Hodge played? I'd bet a good 5,500+

Reply #316288 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Best crowd in the league?? Damn....you may not want to say that in Townsville or Cairns. Other cities may get higher numbers at games but the fans in Townsville and Cairns are much more vocal and passionate!!

As for Homicide, don't get me wrong, he is a great player. But he is a one man show. He does not give a sh*t about team mates or the team in general. A number of times he turned up to training in Melb either hungover or still half cut. He ain't gonna win a championship for any team!!!

Reply #316290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems that many Homicide fans are the less-educated basketball types. mouth-running fans. the coach of the year didnt want him then doesnt want him now. anstey isnt surprised. other teams avoided him last year. all the signs are there

Reply #316298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coreys under the spell of jvg already hope hes prepared to get burned thats whatll happen!

Reply #316312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I liked the series of posts on Twitter where Homicide said he had $200k worth of endorsements lined up based on getting a deal in Melbourne. Hinder's reply:

@chomicide said he'd miss out on $200k in endorsements? Holy S*!t. He should offer 2 play 4 free. Bet they'd take him! He gets 200k Win/win

Reply #316316 | Report this post

yikes  
Years ago

JVG and Homocide now there is a winning combination

Reply #316335 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anon, wow Homicide averaged more than anyone on a team that was lucky not to finish bottom of the table again, quick sign him up lol. He'll surely turn everything around overnight with his ego alone

Reply #316347 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ive got to throw my 2 cents in now. I own a clothing company that approached Homicide 2 years ago (Whilst he was still in Townsville) for a sponsorship deal worth roughly 15 grand to him personally.
After a meeting with Corey (to which he turned up late and unprepared), and several phonecalls we backed away with our hands in the air.
Corey is a wanker in the biblical sense, a great basketball player aswell but I can't see anyone really wasting their time or money with him as far as endorsements go.
I sponsor several other high profile sportsmen on the same deal I offered Corey, for some reason (wanker) Corey felt he was worth far more.
For this reason I call "bullshit" on his supposed 200K worth of endorsements upon his remaining in Melbourne.
Hey Corey! Get your hand off it!

Reply #316364 | Report this post

Tigershater  
Years ago

Gee, there are a lot of haters for homicide... Quite shocked really. Whilst he is arrogant, he is exactly what the league needs right now. I have heard in on radio a number of times here in Melbourne and they love him.

Publicity and news is what bball needs in the country and he causes headlines on and off the court. Melbourne weren't anything until he arrived and he single handedly carried the team to almost play-off contention.

Where he signs, I don't care, but Australian bball players aren't very marketable, more snobbish to the media and frankly not skilled enough to provide the highlight reels and publicity bball needs again.

Reply #316366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with tigershater (and love the name). homicide gets people talking about the NBL and who cares if he's a wanker, he's also an entertainer and a hell of a player. the guy was second in the league for defensive rebounds as a point guard and was in the top 5 for points, rebounds and assists. would've had more dimes if tragardh and luke nevill could catch too

Reply #316373 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

if Homocide has teamed up with JVG then Corey may well have been led down the path a fair way

Reply #316377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No doubt he is good for the league, but does any club think he is good for them?

Reply #316382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% want him to stay in the league. Only outweighed by the fact I don't want him on my team.

Reply #316399 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Homicide a must get for the Sixers, go for him Marty give him a go I mean what have we got to lose ??????

Reply #316408 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Marty Clarke wont take Homocide. He needs kids he can control who hold their farts in. He's a shit coach! Tigershater that is the worst post ive ever read - bballers are very media friendly & good blokes. Were the tigers ever in playoff contention? Is your user name an oxymoron or are u just a moron? Watch Gleeson make this proud club proud again!!

Reply #316417 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Some people seem to have this idea that "any publicity is good publicity" and think that can only be good for the game of basketball. Well, that may be true in this country for sports like Aussie Rules (AFL) and rugby league (NRL) where a players bad off-field behaviour is often published but overlooked, but when companies are backing away from sponsoring basketball clubs or players because of the unprofessional behaviour of certain players then is that good for the league or the clubs involved? Bad publicity is just that.....bad publicity.

Basketball here isn't like in the USA where companies throw millions at players seemingly regardless of what they do off the court. Here Bball has to fight for every sponsorship dollar it can attract and the league is trying to push a family image, not one where allegedly turning up to training half tanked or going to sponsors meetings totally unprepared is acceptable.

Homicide may be a good player but where did his numbers get the Tigers in 2010-11? Just because one player puts up league leading numbers it doesn't mean he can transform other players on the team to do the same. Personally I see him ending up @ the GCB in 2011-12 as their Gibson replacement.

Reply #316418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro your lame, all you doubters have no idea about basketball. Incase you haven't realized, the 6ers are pathetic. We need someone like homicide. If we had him last year instead if 4 duds we wouldve been top 4. As for bad publicity = bad publicity, hello loser basketball is Fu@n dead in Australia. I watched sunrise this morning- absolutely nothing on the breakers title yet they told me the shit brumbies won a thriller. All you knobs keep sitting at your pc's reading box scores thinking you know all there is to know about basketball, when you probably wouldn't know how to play the game yourselves- or have never played. Basketball needs characters- villains, instead of nice boys with no balls or heart. Look how many games we lost by under 10 points last season. No balls when it matters

Reply #316429 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

hey Anon, cool story bro ;)

Reply #316430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aye bro

Reply #316434 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Homicide would be great for the Kings.

Reply #316440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

homicide is a punk.
demand for him wont be as great as some of you expect.
the kings wont take him, tigers dont want him
any team who says they need homicide has massive problems.he will be lucky to get a job in the nbl next year.
joey wright might take him
so what if he has a twitter account.
if he really was that good, the tigers would keep him.end of story.

as for best crowds, sydney isnt that bad but they arent the best.
from my experience, perth and adelaide are the most knowledgeable.

Reply #316442 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Word is that the Sydney Kings apparently gave away hundreds of tickets per home game to fill the stadium!

Reply #316445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if he really was that good, the tigers would keep him.end of story"

If D-mac stayed they would have kept him. Gleeson and Homicide dont get along.

Reply #316446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if he really was that good, the tigers would keep him.end of story"

If D-mac stayed they would have kept him. Gleeson and Homicide dont get along.

Reply #316447 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Orbit if you think Marty is a crap coach ask yourself one question, how did he become an assistant coach for the Boomers you mupet.
That should put you in your place :)

Reply #316482 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If Marty is a good coach how come the Sixers were 9-19 (32%) this season? Just because he has friends in the Australian program and he got selected over much better deserving coaches due to his connections doesn't mean he is a good coach. He might get some good players next season (Same players he could have gotten last season) but so far he has proven he doesn't know how to coach in a professional mens league.

Reply #316487 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Special one putting me in my place won't be dode buy calling me a 'mupet'! Nice try dickhead!!

Reply #316497 | Report this post

Tigershater  
Years ago

To clarify my comments, around publicity for homicide, the radio and tv guys love him and he is great for the game of bball in Australia. I have never had a radio station get any other player in Melbourne for an interview because no one cares about players who are crap.

Melbourne is a team of mediocre at best players, with no character or personality. They couldn't buy a game until they signed homicide and then they almost made the finals from something like an 0-7/1-7 start.

He isn't bloody Dwayne Wade/Lebron James, but I challenge anyone to choose a player in the NBL better than him? Only player (that I can think of)to post a triple double this season, led the league in assist and rebounding amongst guard. His work rate is fantastic in games and works for a win constantly.

Other than rumours about what he is like in training, what evidence do all you haters have that he is a cancer amongst a team? Or is this a typical example of tall poppy syndrome by Aussies who can't hack that American imports make Aussies look mediocre?

Reply #316567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this is a case of a fan having a crush on a player. Only someone in love could convince themselves that the Tigers 'nearly made the playoffs'.

Reply #316568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What evidence? Despite being a past MVP, boosting the Tigers (after they cut three players), averaging all the stats people trumpet, he still doesn't get a contract in a hurry. That doesn't tell you something? Gleeson didn't want him back at the Crocs. Doesn't want him now at the Tigers. No one signed him at the start of last season. See Anstey's tweet for probably the most public remark you'll get on the situation. All the rest of the talk is behind the scenes - seems that clubs and coaches just don't think he's worth the trouble.

Not saying he's not a very good player (though I don't think he's the best player in the league - I'd take Penney, Redhage and Ervin over him plus a number of others), just that there are reasons he is not in demand.

If Penney put himself on the market for $200k, a number of teams would throw their hat in the ring. Same wouldn't happen for Homicide.

Not the first capable player to be in this position.

Reply #316569 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Clarke is useless suck it up and move on.

Reply #316575 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

isaac has the only comment with sense here,

if you want to develop a good culture (which will hoepfully develop a winning culture) dont sign him

if you want bums on seats and potentially be a competitive team , SIGN HIM UP

Reply #316605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a reason or alot of reasons why Gleeson would'nt resign Corey twice,how about getting out of bed every morning to go to work thinking i hope Corey was a good boy last night, i dont want to deal with shit anymore.there must be a good reason not to resign an MVP.

Reply #316618 | Report this post

Tigershater  
Years ago

Lets remember here that he hasn't got a new club so far because he can't sign anywhere yet, and Isaac, only one person has ever dropped Homicide. Gleeson. Gleeson has a problem with Homicide, thats it.

Tigers fans and team loved having him in the team and the only player that played with hard work and passion. The tigers team is full of wannabe try hards and selfish players who wouldnt pass to each other if their life depended on it. Thats why they sucked until Homicide brought in a passing environment (lets not forget here, he led the league in assists)

He isn't the cancer that people think, Gleeson doesn't like him. Thats all.

Was the only player in Melbourne to actually ever front the media. Or be liked by them. The rest of the team are a bunch of self-serving hacks who have no sense of entertainment value. Seriously, Tigers on paper are the worst team in the league without him.

sixers would be ridiculously stupid not to sign him if they could.

Reply #316653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it's just Gleeson. Have heard other talk about it as well.

And he can sign anywhere he wants. He was told he wasn't required by the Tigers and so would be an early free agent. Wouldn't have to wait two weeks after the finals series.

He should just go cheap to the Blaze.

Reply #316664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if he needs discipline then wright cant help, he couldnt help gibbo and wright has a policy of not getting involved in his players behaviors or so he says. if corey has discipline issues blaze is the last club he should go to unless he really truly wants to crash and burn in every sense of the word..

Reply #316676 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not fussed - not unhappy to have him in the league, but would just rather it wasn't in Adelaide!

Reply #316680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fair call seems to be the general feeling going round

Reply #316748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is by far the best P/G in the league, if he had a better team around him than he has in the past I have no doubt he'd that team a C/Ship.

I see some one posted if Gleeson doesn't watch out there's something wrong.

Well think again, if that was the case, how on earth did he last 3 seasons at the Crocs.

Some one else said he's a one man show,(haha) averaged 6ast agame some games he had 10-11 ast so how doesn't that represent a 1 man show.

Reply #316820 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

Homicide is by far the best P/G in the league, if he had a better team around him than he has in the past I have no doubt he'd that team a C/Ship.

I see some one posted if Gleeson doesn't watch out there's something wrong.

Well think again, if that was the case, how on earth did he last 3 seasons at the Crocs.

Some one else said he's a one man show,(haha) averaged 6ast agame some games he had 10-11 ast so how doesn't that represent a 1 man show.

Reply #316821 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

no idea orbit no idea son

Reply #316863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:20 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754