Jack Toft
Years ago

R5 ABL Action

Just when you thought it was safe to have a royal barbie on Sunday, another extra round pops up. In lieu of the Chaser's ban on commentating the broadcast (they were planning to use Price Philip’s quotes) I have inserted some of PP's finest after each game - you don’t realise how politically incorrect they are, so please don’t take any offence.
South vs Woodville at Marion
Women: South have the oldest average age and Woodville the youngest. South have had a tough start to the season with a couple of one point losses and Woodville will be looking to be put a stick in their wheelchairs and walking frames. There’s something to be said of experience though and the Panthers should be able to dispatch the young warriors before their afternoon nap and early turn in. PP to the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes "You look like you’re ready for bed!"
Men: Crew Casella and have had a good start to the season and Woodville welcome back “the Big Zed”. Could be a good game as South at the moment have more confidence than a teenager knocking off a cougar. Woodville are putting up plenty of shots, but are shooting 35% from the floor compared to South’s 45% and this will be the difference this afternoon. PP to the Queen, after her coronation “Where did you get the hat?”

Sturt vs North @ Pasadena
Women: It’s hard to think that Sturt could get stronger, but Madgen seems to have done just that. North too reliant on Jo Hill will need others to lift and support her, or else they will be savaged. PP to a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea “You managed not to get eaten, then?”
Men: Sturt basically at full strength now and this game is a little bit like the landed Lords of Gentry battling the Highlanders from the North. Unfortunately for the Rockets, we all know how Braveheart finished. PP to a driving instructor in Scotland “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”

West vs Eagles @ Port Adelaide
Women: This is going to be a crackerjack. Eagles might be a bit tired after slogging it out with Sturt the night before, but with both Sturt and Eagles playing each other, I expect both coaches might slow things down in the second half to keep some in the tank for today. West should have won the Jimmy Barnes Cup and might be a little fresher and have a bit more in reserve to take out a thriller. PP to Elton John after hearing Elton had sold his Gold Aston Martin “Oh, it’s you that owns that ghastly car – we often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”
Men: Another top contest in the mens and the matchups look very interesting. Both teams are looking very nice and are undefeated at the moment. It’s hard to see one team dominating and this is a real flip of the coin for this one, but the home team might have the edge with that big bag of rocks back in their team and the easier run into the game. PP: “If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it’s either a new woman or a new car!”

Topic #25473 | Report this topic

tragic  
Years ago

love the new woman new car quote top job. where did you get the quotes from

Reply #316349 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They are all over the place. Some of the stuff he has said over the years is pretty funny, but completely non-PC. I think it's just his very dry sense of humour, but at least he doesn't make jokes about muslim aboriginal lesbians with MS.

Reply #316362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south have a few young ones in there squad also not as many as woodville

Reply #316406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players at South ABL playing Junior basketball 0
Players at South ABL Playing Youth League 2
Total minutes combined for the season 22"31'

Reply #316407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young players at south Isaiah omamagho, lachlan prest, Kyle Howe tipene, Andrew malan all playing, just not all playing youth league

Reply #316410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaiah and prest start as well

Reply #316412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well how about the girls they have a few playing youth div 1

Reply #316413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South have to recruit players because there juniors are a mess at the moment

Reply #316426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seniors a rabble to

Reply #316470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but the rabble with help from ireland gets them a win, some foul count.

Reply #316496 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

North beat sturt!!! Despite the best efforts of a certain orange haired official to get sturt the win... Still don't understand the calls Jacob Holmes gets sometimes but North pulled it out anyways... Rhys Carter was dominate today

Reply #316500 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

crows fan ... the ref you're talking about was just bad. He wasn't one sided.

Sturt played poorly. It was a "pass to jacob and just watch him shoot it" affair. Every offence. Confuses me so much cos sturt have reasonable depth yet today they didn't use it.

Reply #316518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west men managed to overcome the shock loss to woodville and beat forestville

Reply #316520 | Report this post

what the!  
Years ago

It amazes me that every sixer playin abl this year gets protected by the refs its an absoulute joke! the same call just dont get called on an average abl player...

Reply #316525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you havent been at south games then as Johnson cant by a foul to be given for him- hacked to death -no call, but he sneezes on the opposition-foul

Reply #316526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Star players get calls in the NBL and in the NBA too. Nothing new.

Reply #316529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe South need more 36ers players. How can they lose to Southern who have no marquee players?

A star team will always beat a team of stars.

Reply #316531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called depth... South have none!!

Reply #316536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rick - so is that a problem with the coach getting the message across

Reply #316537 | Report this post

just want to say well done to centrals women - 2 and 3 in 6th spot at present.

can't recall that for a long time !

Reply #316552 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

#537 - I'm not sure. I was tempted to sit behind the bench to listen in but I didn't. To me it looks like that is the coaches message - get it to Holmes. I also dont think Holmes trusts anybody else to score.

I don't think the non NBL players have the confidence to shoot in their system. When they catch the ball their first look is to find where Holmes is and pass to him, as opposed to penetrate themselves.

If I was Scott Butler I would start running plays for guys other than Holmes occasionally.

Reply #316557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the rolling around the floor in the women's game at Souths true love or an uncalled tech?

Reply #316579 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Rick... Holmes had 8 assists?
So that's at least 8 times he trusted his team mates?
Ng took 17 shots, Daly 12, Warbout 10 & Bauer 7?
Jacob had 24 of Sturt's 74 shots...

Is that a bad balance?

Reply #316586 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

Yeh I'm not trying to bash Jacob he is a great passer. The passes he makes though are after 10 seconds of backing his man down in the post and then he finds an open team mate for an assist. Which is great .. but I dunno if its trusting your team mates.

But thats it. The ball is in his hands for more than half of the shot clock.

I would like to see more of Daly, Warbout, Klaosen, Bauer, Karetta creating for themselves. Their shots seem to be catch and shoots after Jacob turns down a shot. Give them a chance every now and then to rip to the ring, or run off some screens for a shot. It just seemed like their were 4 spot up shooters and holmes on the floor at all times.

With the ball in Holmes's hand so much he will inevitably get assists.

Reply #316588 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Reply #316625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder the 36ers were poor this year when you consider the number of 36ers playing for Sturt and they then get beaten by an undersized North team who hadn't one a game, backing up from a brutal game against Norwood, playing away with one 36er in the team.

Pretty obvious to me who the 36ers must make sure they retain!!

Reply #316635 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

So on that theory the Sixers should get rid of Tom Daly, Jacob Holmes, Mitch Creek, Daniel Johnson and Jeff Dowdell and just sign Rhys Carter. IDIOT!!!!!

Reply #316659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No - what I am saying if you read between the lines IDIOT is how could Sturt have lost that game; better form; better players; less battered than after the Norwood game; at Home;

And where did I mention those other three players - I cant recall them playing for Sturt!!

Reply #316674 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Based on that guys theory the Sixers shouldn't even sign Carter as North lost to Woodville and Norwood with him playing and last time I checked neither of those teams have a Sixers player.

Any team can beat any team on a good night!

Reply #316678 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Or West Adelaide as Dowdell didn't play in that game.

Reply #316681 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754