Jack Toft
Years ago

R6 ABL Action

Mavs - Rockets @ Mt Barker
Women: North with an opportunity to sneak into the 5 if they can get their % up.
Men: Mavs stole victory from the jaws of the Lions with 0.1 sec on the clock when Jack Madgen iced two daggers into the hearts of the home team. Rockets have been on the backfoot with two one points losses to start the season off, but came back on Sunday to deliver a knockout blow to Sturt. The Mavs weaknesses were exposed last Saturday and will be tested again with the Rockets burning up the court. Hilly is having a great season, but racking up plenty of minutes – I suppose it's easier to coach on court than sitting down. Mavs will be tested, but should manage to get another home win, but the wockets will attack like a team of navy SEALs.

Flames – Eagles @ Mars
Women: Women’s MOTR without a doubt. Norwood were in freefall at the end of last season with injuries and absences. This season they have been setting the pace and are the hunters. Apart from a good win against the young Woodville, the Eagles have not been the force they were last year and will be plucked alive by the rampaging Norwood team. Ireland might just punish her old team.
Men: Flames, the only undefeated team, face #3 at home. Eagles had their wings clipped by Sturt with Dr Holmes providing the lotion for the rash. The Addams family understudies absolutely dominated the boards against North by recovering nearly half of their missed shots and snatching 76% of North’s misses. Should be a good game, but I reckon the Eagles are going to struggle with the twin-twin-towers.

Sabres – Warriors at Pasadena
Women: Sturt are the #1 offensive team at the moment and the Young Warriors trying to get out of the bottom half. The only hope for the Warriors would be a sprained ankle to all Sturt players in the dimly light carpark as they arrive. Madgen to continue feasting on the opposition and gathering Halls points like an easter egg hunt. I’ld give the Warriors a 25 point headstart to make it fair.
Men: Sabres in the bottom of the pack is not a place they would really want to be. Warriors played some fine basketball on the weekend with depth now going from Al to Zed. A Warriors win will see them hold their top 5 spot and a Sturt win would see them snatch that spot. On paper, Sturt look too strong, but that didn’t stop North last week. Crows_fan67 would be estatic if those wascally Warriors whipped up another victory. Sturt don't choke twice in a row.

Bearcats – Panthers @ Port
Women: West are the other un-beaten women’s team and are ranked 2nd in both offense and defence. Imagine if Sam was playing. The Panthers have been unlucky this season and are languishing in the bottom half despite playing well. They will continue to play well tonight, but West with too much talent both on the court and on the sideline.
Men: West men lost the Jimmy Barnes Cup, but nursed a win against the deflated Eagles on the Sunday. Panthers have lost their last 3 games and need a win to keep in touch. Some Panther fans crying foul of the umpires last weekend, but we all know the home team gets the calls (except at Starplex) and the best thing to do is just play ball and don’t get boaled over. This should be a good, hard fought game. South perhaps a little reliant on the fast flowing Creek and DJ, who should be in for some close attention by JD. West doing the job in defence at this stage should hold the dangerous Panthers to their fourth loss in a row if things go to their plan.

Lions – Tigers @ Starplex (Safari Cup)
Women: I think the last time the Lionesses won by 40 points was.... It’s 4 v 6 in what will be another clash of the big cats. The Tigers seem to be the slightly better on paper with better shooting from the floor, more rebounds and more points, but the Lions have the edge from the arc, the stripe and in assists. Lions are doing well defensively, but need to find about another goal or two per quarter to be considered top 5. The Tigers need to hold teams to a couple points less per game to keep their spot. Both teams have beaten the Mavs, but the Lions did it by more and may just take out the clash on their home savannah. Could get down to the last play.
Men: Lions are not playing badly at the moment, but just can’t quite get the W. It's a bit like grabbing a fish. Tigers beat the Panthers last week showing just how even the men’s comp is and should expect a "frosty" reception at Starplex. Despite the lack on big names, this clash will be as hard fought as two bachelors fighting over Pippa Middleton’s phone number. Sadly for Tigers fan, the Lions might just break their drought tonight as I think “The Kolassh-nikov” might be the difference.

Topic #25495 | Report this topic

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

West men will find it hard to win if a certain so called "Senior official" is rostered to there game again.....

Men: West men lost the Jimmy Barnes Cup, but nursed a win against the deflated Eagles on the Sunday. Panthers have lost their last 3 games and need a win to keep in touch. Some Panther fans crying foul of the umpires last weekend, but we all know the home team gets the calls (except at Starplex) and the best thing to do is just play ball and don't get boaled over. This should be a good, hard fought game. South perhaps a little reliant on the fast flowing Creek and DJ, who should be in for some close attention by JD. West doing the job in defence at this stage should hold the dangerous Panthers to their fourth loss in a row if things go to their plan.

Reply #316910 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Senior official" - wouldn't be Super Sensitive ben would it?

Reply #316914 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

some person is a peanut

Reply #316916 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

You better not be calling Ben a peanut - names like that cut him straight to the bone.

Then again any feedback given to him he considers an attack against his bulletproof umpiring skills...

Reply #316924 | Report this post

ads by Google  
Years ago

how do you get homecourt advantage by the refs, when they are centrally roster??
i think you are the peanut :D

Reply #316954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Catually a recent major statistical report into sport shows that the only real home court advantage is ref's.

That the power of suggestion of crownds yelling out to the refs things like 'foul' or 'travel', and given human nature. Almost always, in all sports, teams receive better treatment from referees at home games.

If you look around the NBL, all team pretty much had less fouls called on htem at home games.

Reply #316957 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

With 5000 fans maybe, with 100 fans I'd so not

Reply #316971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again the report showed it wasn't the volume, but rather the suggestion.

And 100 people in Hillcrest might be louder and more suggestive the 5000 in the Dome which is more open and therefore less noisy.

Reply #316972 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

some person who thinks refs give home court advantage is indeed a peant -thanks for clarifying

Reply #316980 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

advantage to home team perhaps but not a deliberate action by refs to ref that way - surely.

Reply #316981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statistical evidence shows that it is not deliberate, but rather, subconcious. A human need for acceptance.

Non the less, its is the only statistcal evidence between home and away games. For multiple sports.

Reply #316985 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I hear woodville have brought there new gun import in aswell, any1 else heard this newS??

Reply #317017 | Report this post

ads by Google  
Years ago

You can not say that NBL refs giving homecourt advantage is the same as CABL refs. because NBL refs are from their state in most cases, so there could be a slight home court advantage, even though they are professional not to give advantage. CABL refs dont have a home stadium, so they cant have home court advantage. but as for crowds yelling and such, the other teams crowd could have just as much influence, depending on the experience of the ref. in most causes experienced refs would just ignore any STUPID comments for travels, and 3 second violations. because most of the time the crowd has no idea what they are talking about and are just plainly one sided. they dont know what "feel for the game" is, they just want to see their team win, or only see stuff called for their team...

Reply #317026 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

ads by google,

The study was done in the US and looked at all Major sports like Football, Baseball and Basketball.

The findings of the repot were that the only statistical difference from home and away games were the more calls were made against the away team.

So even at NBA, NFL and MLB, the referees were influenced by human nature.

To expect otherwise goes againt Darwinian theory. Umpires are people and not robots.

Reply #317038 | Report this post

ads by Google  
Years ago

i agree with your last statement. referees are people not robots.
im just saying that you dont get homecourt advantage by referees in CABL because the refs dont have a home court. unlike NBA, NBL, NFL . etc

and Benn is professinal and experienced enough not to favour a hometeam or be influenced by the crowd.

Reply #317040 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

ummm ads by google,

You dont have home town refs in any top tier sport.

That is the whole point.

The study found that no matter they level of experience, the power of suggestion and human nature provided even the best referees with a subconcious message to favour the home team.

Reply #317041 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Mens tips
Norwood over forestville by 15+, just too good
Eastern over north by single digits, Brad Hill the difference
Sturt over woodville by 10+, make up for disappointing loss Sunday
West over south by 20+, a team will always beat 2 good players
Southern over centrals in a close one, southern has looked good knocking off teams that on paper they shouldn't have

Reply #317071 | Report this post

Machine  
Years ago

ads by Google, I am quite sure that MJ was not talking about Benn anyway
I think MJ might have been talking about "the referee of the year" which just shows you how bias some fan's can be

Reply #317073 | Report this post

Lionel  
Years ago

stats say that Centrals just beat southern women easily, Mahoney with another triple double 16 rebounds 16 assists, 15 points she may have a hand on the Halls Medal already

Reply #317082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who won west or south women score please

Reply #317085 | Report this post

methusla  
Years ago

go centrals ! - i can not recall the last time a centrals ABL womens team defeated tigers.

anyone help on that stat?

anyone also help with centrals womens best results over the last 10 years or so - best i can recall would be winning 3 or so games at the most one season.

Reply #317086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North def Eastern by 20.

Josh Bond with 40, including 9 threes!

Reply #317089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West men by 8

Reply #317092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lions men over tigers by 11, sturt men over woodville by 30, ages men over flames by one, sulivan triple to win.

guess crowfans prediction re the lions wont come true.

Reply #317094 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Huge games at Gawler - when was the last time the Tigers didn't hold both Safari cups? Mahoney on fire and Kollash-nikov going off.

Josh Bond - 40 points. North sinking SS Eastern like an torpedo, not a rocket.
Rockettes with an early scare, must of had a rocket at quarter time.

Sturt Women all over the Warriors - "Resistance is useless"
Ng and Holmes on fire - someone put a leash on those two!

Reply #317095 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Congrats to both centrals teams on picking up wins last night... Guess the men did win ONE game and I was wrong, wouldn't start talking finals tho... Congrats especially goes to the women, what a turn around from last year, well done!!!

Reply #317098 | Report this post

Re Think  
Years ago

Guess you were wrong about Norwood Men's results as well Crows_fan67
" Norwood over forestville by 15+, just too good"

Reply #317099 | Report this post

vista90  
Years ago

Crows fan, how did Woodville's big men go this week?

Reply #317106 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Norwood mens game was a barn burner. Well done to Forestville, just shot the lights out. Sullivan 3/4 from downtown in the 3rd quarter alone. Halftime they were shooting 70% from outside, way too hard to beat that shooting percentage.

Looked like Forestville came out with a run and gun game plan (disclaimer - I havent seen them play this year before last night, so dont know if thats their normal style), and just worked Norwood into the ground. Great effort by the Flames to stage the comeback though.

Scoreline reflected the way the game was played pretty well.

Reply #317107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Answer, they've been playing that way for 10 years!

Reply #317113 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Hmmm, Ive seen a few Forestville games, and dont remember them being THAT up tempo, but I am getting old and alzheimers could be kicking in :)

Reply #317118 | Report this post

Crows_fan67  
Years ago

Yeah looked as if Woodville's bigs were outplayed this week mate, but I did say Sturt would win (see above)... Big win for forestville tho beating the giants of Norwood, didn't see that one coming and wish I would have rocked up to that one now

Reply #317119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng was incredible. Best pure shooter I've ever seen. Had 18 points in the first quarter with 5 straight three's.

Reply #317124 | Report this post

Fringe Dweller  
Years ago

Huge games at Gawler - when was the last time the Tigers didn't hold both Safari cups?

Rumour has that Tigers haven't held the cup for a while lost in previous celebrations.

Might turn up next time we meet?

Reply #317130 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sturt women awesome blew young warriorettes out of the stadium. Gift wrap the silverware up now.

Reply #317133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt women will have to battle Norwood and West for that. My tip is Norwood

Reply #317136 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sturt womens have played Norwood & lost

Reply #317139 | Report this post

manager  
Years ago

centrals women in top 5.

Reply #317142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous
Yesterday
16:48 8 May 11

Reply #317124
re: R6 ABL Action
Ng was incredible. Best pure shooter I've ever seen. Had 18 points in the first quarter with 5 straight three's.
re
Yes he is a good shooter but there are alot of good shooters going around the abl at the moment..... Ng is only at 38% from the 3pt line and 46% FG so there are a few that have a better % than him at the moment (dont get me wrong I love seeing him shoot) but there is alot of sweet shooters out there....

Reply #317155 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

james 007 bond might be in SWEET SHOOTER CATEGORY as well - licensed to shoot

Reply #317161 | Report this post

Hg  
Years ago

Darren is the best shooter in the league beyond doubt. Would not put my house on anyone else but him. Like to know who you drop your house on. He beat the lions single handedly in the 4th and seems to have done the same to Woodville in the first, % or not he is the best.

Reply #317176 | Report this post

mmmm  
Years ago

Hg
Wake up and smell the roses NO one single handedly wins a game of Basket Ball .....ITS a team game and without the other 4 players your nothing ....
and yes NG is a great player but not a one man team.....

Reply #317183 | Report this post

mmmm  
Years ago

And yes % do mean alot if you shoot 100 3pts and only gets 40 to drop and someone else shoots 100 3pts and gets 60 to drop WHOS the better shooter? someone with 40% or someone with 60% ..........

Reply #317185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not reeeeally a dispute though is it? Darren Ng is the best shooter in the league... And is always in the discussion as the best shooter in the NBL.

There are good shooters in the ABL yes, But none as proven as Ng.

Reply #317193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say Ng cops a fair bit of defensive pressure that other players don't get.

In the NBL, Penney's 3P% is 42%. Vukona's is 53.8%. Who are you going to want taking the final shot (or indeed with your house on the line)?

Reply #317194 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Braswell! :P

Reply #317197 | Report this post

hg  
Years ago

hey mmmm, just waiting on someone else to come to your defense, seems a few boys got my back on here.

Darren Ng is the best three point shooter in the ABL, if not I dare you to name someone better.

your % argument will not stack up with people that understand the game, I think Isaac has squashed that for ya.

Reply #317206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754