TJ
Years ago

who should the 6ers sign

i think signing homicide and schenscer would be awsome and have carter start at SG

Topic #25512 | Report this topic

TJ  
Years ago

LOOK AT THIS ROSTER
C SCHENSCER
PF BALLINGER
SF HILL
SG MASSINGALE
PG WILLIAMS
6 JOHNSON
7 CARTER
8 CREEK
9 NG
10 DOWDELL
11 HOLMES
D. DALY

Reply #317102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

11th man counts under points cap so that'd be over 70 points.

Reply #317105 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

DO YOU NEED 11 PLAYERS

Reply #317108 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Former power forwards applicants from sturt need not apply.

Reply #317109 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

CUT HOLMES

Reply #317110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they'd be crazy to cut holmes. Just because of what he brings in terms of leadership and experience. Never under estimate that value ... Big reason why Townsville were succesful this season.

Reply #317111 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I'd keep Holmes aswell, as long as he fits in with rotations for the team, and the caps. I think his hustle and leadership are 2 attributes he has over most of the players on the roster.

Reply #317114 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

cut dowdell then

Reply #317116 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Bit crazy with the caps there TJ

C Schenscher/Johnson
F Ballinger/Dowdell
F Dorsey/Creek
G Herbert/Ng
G Williams/Daly

Reply #317117 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

schenscer 10
ballinger 10
hill 6
massingale 9
williams 10
johnson 8
carter 7
dowdell 1
creek 1
ng 4

that adds up to 66 pts dont know bout money wise

Reply #317120 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

That would make the 36ers a massive team rebounding and height wise, i wouldn't imagine many teams could beat our talls.

Melbourne went over the top last season trying to sign a team of centres while having two import guards, i think this is what Melbourne should have aimed for and what the 36ers should look at doing.

Having Williams (top NBL import guard), Herbert (great D and jumpshot), Ng (just about best three shot in the NBL) would ensure our team is by no means just 'height'.

Dowdell is the kind of guy that goes in, can hit his jumpshot/three at a solid clip and does the small things like solid D and quite often takes a charge.

Where would i expect that team to finish? At best 3rd, at worst 5th. It really depends on:

1. If Williams is a 'party boy' and doesn't put in the hard work or if he screws up the chemistry in the team by the way he acts

2. How Johnson develops with other bigs around him, i think he should definitely get around 20 mins+ per game.

3. How Creek and Daly develop. If they play well inside the team and contribute, the team could definitely be right up there with a chance to make the finals.

C Schenscher > PF Holmes (Win)
SF Dorsey > SG Howard (Win)
SG Herbert > PG Bruce (Win)
PG Williams > PG Shannon (Win)
PG Daly > PG Carter (Loss)

Reply #317121 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

what position is rashad tucker

Reply #317122 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

good thinking K.E.T guy cut massingale sign dorsey

Reply #317123 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

TJ:
Dowdell is not a 1, more like a 6.
Ng is not a 4, more like an 8.
Johnson is not an 8, more like a 6
Massingale would probably be a 10
Not sure about Carter, think he is around 6

That would make it approximately 73-74 points

Reply #317125 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

dude dowdell hardly played dowdell is a 1 or 2

Reply #317126 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

TJ it doesn't work like that

Reply #317128 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Dowdell was a 4 last season
Carter a 5
Hill a 5
Herbert 6
Johnson 6
Holmes 7
Ng 7

Reply #317134 | Report this post

all too good  
Years ago

herbert must be a keeper with Ng and williams a must get
assume we get the The Schensc - play off bound title town

Reply #317135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry to say people but carter is heading back overseas so no carter

Reply #317140 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I like your team KET but I don't think the Sixers will be able to afford bringing Schensch, Williams AND Dorsey in during the same off-season. All will want good $$$.

I think Schensch and one or other of Williams and Dorsey is more realistic. If we got Dorsey, run with either Carter or Bruce as the starting PG. If Williams, then maybe you retain Hill, or perhaps use Herbert as SF and try to sign someone like Ben Madgen as the starting SG. Not sure if Luke Walker could be snatched out from under the Tigers, but he'd give us two nice, athletic young SFs (w Creek).

Likewise, not sure if he is contracted to the Tigers, but Bennie Lewis looked good at times last season. He might be willing to come to Adelaide for minimal money if he thought he could get more playing time. I'd say Corey Webster is potentially a good prospect too, but Mystro would have to forcefully remind me that he is not available! ;-P

Probably in the same price range as Dorsey, but I think we could do worse than Trey Gilder at SF if he wants to return to the NBL. I guess he'd be more likely to go to Sydney first if they wanted him though.

Reply #317144 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It sounds like Walker is returning to Melbourne.

Reply #317145 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

id be interested in anons source regarding carter leaving. He didnt want to keep moving back and forward which is why it was a big decision to stay here. So it would be a bit odd to come here for a season to go back.

Reply #317147 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

$$$ Talk

Reply #317149 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I was very close to Herbert when he went down with injury , 9 months ago. Hasn't played any Basketball since that nite.

Reply #317156 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Lets say we sign Ballinger, Big Red and 2 imports, that is most likely 40 points already taken up (depending on imports points) then we already have Johnson and Creek already signed so anoter 7 points. Which leaves us with 23 points for 4 players.
I am a Holmes fan but this is were it could get difficult to re-sign him especially if we will mainly be rotating Ballinger, Big Red and Johnson through the 4 5 spots.
So the last for spots could look like
Carter (5)
Herbert (6)
Hill (6) or Ng (7) (or any other player 8 or below)
Dowdell (4)

or

Carter (5)
Herbert (6)
Holmes (7)
and any player (5) or below

To me it seems first lot is better as it gives the sixers a opportunity to go for a decent free agent.

Reply #317157 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Sorry for the double post, if Holmes could get is points lowered to a 6 the last 4 spots could be
Carter (5)
Herbert (6)
Hill (6)
Holmes (6)

Reply #317158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhys Carters signed in Sweden.

Reply #317159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel31 why did you and Herbert fall out? good friends are hard to find, give him a call haha.

Reply #317162 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Carter's back is a bit 50:50 at times, but it would be a loss if Carter has gone to Sweden. The SIxers are guard heavy at this stage so this move may have secured the future of another

Reply #317165 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Camel31, was it a bro-mance?

Reply #317166 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Carter's 8 assists per half a game was pretty good.
Was out injured for a little while.
They were keen on Gibson and maybe Williams as an Aussie and Bruce is on the scene.
Maybe Carter thought, aw well I'll go somewhere else.
They'll have to see about Herbert's injury and Ng's form.
While Cortez Groves - he's my 'friend'.

Reply #317167 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Carter's back is not the issue... Carter is gone. Has spent recent time in Melbourne speaking to family etc about the terrible time he had in Adelaide this past season.
Was never going to stay, and it was never about the money. He and his mighty fine Swedish Female friend are back off to the Scandanavian highlands.

Reply #317172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

achtung baby your wrong. Carter did want to stay its a fact, sixers rorted him

Reply #317179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The offer in Swedan was too good to turn down,the door is open for him to return if the situation changes.

Reply #317181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The offer in Swedan was too good to turn down,the door is open for him to return if the situation changes.

Reply #317182 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

if they cant get Big Luke back this is going to be another season in the bomb shelter.

Reply #317186 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

What SRT said.

Also, what's this about Carter already leaving? Any confirmation or proof from legit posters? (Not Anonymous)

Reply #317196 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

K.E.T. im not liking the sound of this either. that also contributed significantly to my previous post that if we lose Carter and dont sign Big Luke we may as well not even rock up.

Reply #317198 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

I dont blame Carter, that coach has about as much personality as a dead frog! As an athlete i couldnt stand playing for a guy like that! He was a good player on a shcoking team. SOS want it all there way, but you have to spend money in this league to make money. I wont be renewing my season tickets until they show some direction to the fans on who they plan on signing to turn this thing around.

Best of luck Carter!

Reply #317203 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good luck Carter!

For those bagging the coach/club, isnt it possible that,

a. Carter got a great offer from Sweden and he and his girlfriend were keen to move back.

b. Clarke wanted to run with a import/top level Aussie PG and Aaron Bruce as the back up, hence no room for Carter on the roster, so he has moved on.

Though i appreciated Carters good play and efforts on the season but if i had to chose i would have chosen Bruce over him as back up pg anyway or gone with both of them at pg, so aslong as we get a import pg/top aussie and retain Bruce as the back up i dont think its all bad Carter moving on, if true.

not professing to know anything about the situation but i think either of those scenarios are possible so its not always the case of its the clubs/coaches fault and all doom and gloom.

Reply #317207 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

No way id be choosing Bruce over Carter. Bruce is erratic undersized whilst carter offers grit leadership and is not afraid of the moment as proven. I cant imagine the Swedish league would be offering such powerhouse money that the 36ers couldnt match. Getting away from 'coach' Clarke wouldve been a nice thing for him.

Reply #317208 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

yeh im with fizzle. Not sure what your smoking jonno but it would have been bruce packing his bags if it was lack of roster space. Im sure we will find out the truth in due time

Reply #317209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The truth is IF the Coach wanted him, the Coach would have secured him!

Reply #317210 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would pick Carter over Bruce easily. However, we know what the coach is like at picking people so he would go with Bruce. Also wasn't Clarke his coach in high school? So there is a massive bias there so you can be assured that Bruce will be here next season.

Reply #317212 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Carter along side Herbert (hopfully he stays) awesome back court & 2 awesome players that can play D

Reply #317220 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

this Bruce thing I always said he was over rated & he is. Carter over Bruce anyday of the week.

Also this Bruce thing bout Clark being bias KingJames doesnt that bring back memories of Smyth always insisting on playing Jason Williams ?????

A little deja-vy

Reply #317221 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not suprised that a Sweden club would be able to offer more $$ to Carter.
Europe = Wealthy owners

Reply #317226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bruce wont b in adelaide next season either! Look to him to move to either melbourne or sydney!! So adelaide could loose 2 guards and miss out on gibson.. Goodluck with daly as ur starting point!

Reply #317229 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I chose Bruce because i think with a full pre-season he will be the better player.

Bruces rookie season of 9ptd 5assists is statistically better than Carter this year, and Bruce's career averages of 9pts 4 assists 2 rebounds are better than Carters 6 pts 2 assists and 2 rebounds.

Given Bruce had no pre-season and hadnt played for 18 months last season and really wasnt much worse than Carter by the end of the season, so given Bruce is playing ABA, pretty sure his ABA stats are atleast as good as Carters - Bruce 18pts 7 as 4 rbds, Carter- 14pts 4as 5 rbds, and will have a pre-season id back him to put up better numbers.

Carter is the more gritty player and plays better defense but i think Bruce is far better offensively, has more potential to average 10-15 pts a game along with 5 assists, whilst i think his defense is ok.

to me it was basically a 50/50 split, i chose Bruce because i think he has the greater improvement in him and will end up the better all round player.

I have no problem with Carter think he is a good player and would not be un happy to see him in a 36ers uniform, just stating my choice of the 2 if i were picking the team.

Reply #317230 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sweden is a low paying league but Carter is a star there and a bench player here, that is why the offer over there could well be better.

Reply #317232 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why do people on here when they mention how Bruce is going in the ABA forget to mention he is almost averaging 5 turnovers a game? Almost an assist per turnover! Excellent sign him up, it looks like his erratic behavior is gone.

Reply #317242 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont believe the rumour stating Carters return to Sweden is true!

Reply #317269 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Carter is a good player but lets not go overboard with leadership, Fizzle. How many times did Carter have brain fades by having a good 16 seconds left on the shotclock, and outside the 3 point line only to hit the rim.
On the flip, if Brad Hill stays, then so does Aaron Bruce. We all heard the long detailed story of how Brad Hill was a 3 year development player. Well his 3 years is up. It was only in the last few matches where he pulled his finger out. I think Daddy got in his ear also!
But I would seriously not resign Darren Ng, Brad Hill, Dowdell, Herbert(only because he got injured and injured players tend to suffer reoccuring injuries), Ballinger(need a new leader)

But resign Creek, and DJ without a doubt.

When the club finishes 2 season one after the other near the bottom and practically the same team is formed and maintained throughout the season proper, it either says new players needed or fans go missing.
The almighty dollar wins everytime

Reply #317303 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Carter actually won us a game on the Buzzer and took another game into overtime but don't mention that as it doesn't support your argument. Brad Hill actually had a consistent year on a crappy team. What more do you expect him to do in 20 minutes per game? Yes thats a great idea only sign 2 players and get the rest from the rest of the league i'm sure we will get some quality players then. Name these players you would get instead that would be better then those you delisted?

Reply #317305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Carter is average offensively (28% 3p and 2.5 topg) and very good defensively. He can create well for teammates at times but also kills an offence at others. He is a decent back-up worth about $60-70K for mine. Anything more and it is an overspend.

As for the topic, I think the most pressing issue is signing someone like Barlow, Dorsey or Wagstaff who gives verstality and athleticism up front.

Ballinger, Wagstaff, Dorsey, Herbert, Williams
Johnson, Dowdell, Creek, Ng, Daly

Reply #317307 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I like Carter as a player, but its not that big a deal if he has decided to go to Sweden. Who we sign as our starting point will be of far more significance for the team's fortunes. If we were able to get Martin or Williams, then Daly would be all we need as a backup.

Just had a look at the points ratings as well and I don't think the points cap is going to be the issue for us. DJ, Balls and Creek are signed. Even if we add Schensch, Dorsey and Williams (which I'm pretty sure all Sixer fans would be ecstatic with) we'd still only be at 46 points. That leaves 24 for a starting SG and three benchies.

Eg:

Schensch (10) DJ (signed as a 6)
Balls (10) Gruber ? (7)
Dorsey (10) Creek (1)
Herbert (5) Madgen (6)
Williams (10) Daly (1)

That's still only 66 points with four 10 point players and includes what would be two pretty solid bench signings in Madgen and Gruber (not saying they're available necessarily).

Looking at that, its $$$ that will limit who we can sign, not the points cap.

I've said before that I'd be surprised if we can afford to sign Schensch, Williams/ Martin AND someone like Dorsey. If that is the case, I'd actually prefer signing a Williams/ Dorsey combo and instead of signing Schensch, get some hard nosed rebounding (Gruber type) and shooting (Madgen type) to strengthen the bench.

Reply #317310 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, you don't think signing a good PG is more pressing for the Sixers than an athletic wing? A good point would be my #1 priority, with a good outside shooter #2 and a good athletic wing #3.

Reply #317312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not for me no. Gilchrist and Shannon have both been capable players but havent had the cattle or system to work with.

No matter who the point guard is, I dont think the Sixers will succeed without a more versatile team that takes the pressure off the pg to be the one creating everything.

Reply #317330 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754