billo
Years ago

NBA All defensive teams

Not sure if I missed it but I don't recall seeing a thread on this here. NBA All Defensive teams were announced recently with the first team consisting of:

Howard
Rondo
LeBron
Kobe
KG

(for the record that's a pretty impressive offensive team as well).

The thing that struck me as odd was that Bogut received just one vote despite leading the league in blocked shots. I know he didn't play a full season, and his overall output was down on last year, but defensively he was still first class this season.

NBL had a similar situation with Ballinger leading the league in blocks (I think? At least top few) and getting no love, but in this sitiation Balls is a bit of a one trick pony defensively while Bogut is not.

Thoughts?

Full list here http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/andre_iguodala_named__20101_2011_05_09.html (it's not an main NBA site as I'm on spoiler alert for today's game and didn't want to visit front page)

Topic #25529 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The NBA's biggest problem with NBA Awards if you don't play for a Big City team or a winning team you normally get overlooked for selection in All NBA teams

Reply #317415 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah, my problem with last years teams was Bogut getting on the All-NBA 3rd Defensive team, whereas the Center spot was filled by Nowitski. Bogut was the best centre in the league after the ASB last year IMO, he should have been all-2nd defensive or all 1st alongside Howard.

This year was a recovery year for him IMO. He didn't contribute as much. Honestly that injury was still weighing him down. I think next season he should improve. Bogut leading the league in blocks was alright, but he needed to be top 3 in rebounding to get more votes.

Reply #317418 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Kendrick Perkins, who played a grand total of 29 games this season, received more votes than Bogut. And this is an award voted for by the coaches....

AB should've been 2nd team ahead of both Chandler and Noah (who also missed a stack of games).

Reply #317430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chandler and Noah are definately in front of Bogut defensively, haven't you seen how much Chandler has improved the Mavs?

Reply #317461 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Luol Deng didn't rate a mention in any of the teams. Makes it a farce from where I sit.

Reply #317468 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon, Noah 'defintely' in front? He missed half the season and the Bulls were actually better defensively without him on the court than they were with him on. No way was he even close to Bogut on D, let alone better.

Chandler was great and anchored the Mavs on D, but Bogut lead the league in blocks, was 6th in rebounds, was the anchor for the 4th best defensive team in the league and there a bunch of stats (opponent PER, points given up with/without them on the floor) that point to Bogut being better. All with one good arm.

Chandler making it isn't terrible because the Mavs had such a great record and Chandler is pretty much the only genuine defender they have, but Perkins, Ibaka, Duncan, Horford and Chuck Hayes received more votes. That's just as much of a joke as Kobe making the 1st team yet again based purely on rep.

Reply #317477 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Agreed twenty four,
Kobe making the first team is a farce. Artest guards the best wing every night. Thought Dwyane Wade would've featured in the first team, he was fantastic defensively all year!

Reply #317478 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It's a popularity contest, plain and simple.

Bogut was definitely in the best 2 defensive players that played the centre position this past season despite playing with one arm. Twenty Four makes a very compelling argument and I totally concur.

Reply #317482 | Report this post

Chifan  
Years ago

No way Bogut ahead of Chandler. Tyson Chandler was sensational this season.

I might agree with Noah though, he missed a stack of games and really didnt play well after he came back from injury..

Reply #317484 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Kobe making the 1st team IS a farce... agreed!

Reply #317489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ twenty four
Milwaukee was a good defensive team, but nothing more, the PPG allowed was more to do with their unbelievably slow pace more then anything.
Furthermore, Bogut is a very good defender, but he isn't a game changing defender like Noah, Chandler, Howard etc. Same situation as Luol Deng, Deng is a great defender, but not a game changing one. The best defenders are those that are able to change the outcome of a game through their defense.

Reply #317504 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

The Bucks were 4th in the league for points allowed per 100 possessions, not PPG. Even allowing for pace, they were still one of the best defensive teams.

As for Bogut, if you are serious, I'd suggest giving this a read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/670447-dwight-howard-and-andrew-bogut-a-tale-of-two-2011-all-nba-defensive-centers

Reply #317560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For starters, bleacher report is like wikipedia, anybody can make the articles. This particular guy is a Milwaukee Bucks guy, so of course the article would be biased towards him.

I'm not denying Andrew Bogut is a very good defender, but he's like a Luol Deng, he doesn't have that game changing impact like Howard, Chandler, Noah etc.
Other teams have to build a game-plan to stop the defensive prowess of these guys. defenders like Luol Deng and Bogut etc you don't have to do that.
The greatest defenders are those that can change the outcome of a game, your Rodman's, Ben Wallace, KG, Howard. Otherwise, why hasn't Bruce Bowen or Shane Battier been named a DPOY??

Reply #317578 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

Deng is both brilliant off the ball and man defender. He should have been close to all defensive first team. I guess he doesn't play cheat defense and play the passing
Lanes to get his stats up.

During this season he has guarded perimeter guys like
Johnson and Williams, and also Horford in the post.

Reply #317580 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon, did you even read the article? It has all of its claims backed up by stats and links to those stats. It isn't just some guy making baseless claims, as you are.

I'd love to know why you don't consider Bogut to be a game changer though? He blocks shots (and keeps the ball in play at a high rate - unlike Howard - which leads to his team taking possession), takes charges, keeps his opponent quiet and deters the opposition from taking it to the rim (that is of course a subjective opinion, but one that I'm pretty confident in making). Throw in that he was clearly the best defender on a really good defensive team, and I just can't think of much more that a game changing big can do on D?

Reply #317599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Bogut is a good defender, he does block shots and grabs rebounds, he was also extremely inconsistent though.

But still he isn't one of those defenders who can change the outcome of a game through defensive plays, take Shane Battier, who of the best defenders in the game at locking down his man, but he rarely changes the outcome of a game through defensive plays, Bruce Bowen is another example. People like Howard, Noah, Chandler has the ability to basically put an entire team on lockdown and keep quiet, while firing up his fellow team mates to play better, thus the better overall record. Even Kobe and LeBron have the ability to do this.

That's what makes them great defenders, they can single handedly affect the entire opposing team, not just one player. Not taking anything away from Bogut, but this season, he just didn't do any of that, and his team record shows that... he did it last year, no reason why he can't do it again.

Reply #317606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754