SC
Years ago

State Champs

The weekend is upon us & most grades are at least a few games into their competition. What's going on? Which clubs are looking good to take home trophies? Any upsets? Surprise performers?

Topic #25541 | Report this topic

This weekend seems to be the most balanced for sometime.

i would expect Sturt to win the boys but the girls are very close.

Good to see some centrals teams getting some wins.

We have had good games so far - depth will be a factor as the weekend goes on.

Reply #317596 | Report this post

i have a question - if the second team from a club can't get points does it go down to the 5th team for one point ?

i.e. forestville will probably play in the u12/14g reserve GFs.

only one team gets the points - so does the 5th team get a point ?

Reply #317609 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #317611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers have a few boys teams into semis, good weekend so far down south

Reply #317620 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So who won?

In the absence of "ra, ra" posts, I assume it was a pretty boring weekend with no upsets.

Reply #317660 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Yep, fairly boring for a 3 days assessment of the "State Champions"

Reply #317663 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Yep, fairly boring for a 3 days assessment of the "State Champions"

Reply #317664 | Report this post

closest for years  
Years ago

whilst it was a clean sweep for the pasadena crew the results were - as i predicted the closest for years in girls state.

From my calculations -

state girls -

sturt - 11
mavs - 10
Forestville - 9
Norwood - 7

would not say that was boring.

Reply #317665 | Report this post

closest for years  
Years ago

centrals in u14g did well as with mavs in that grade.

Reply #317666 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Amazed at the number of unknown refs - glad seen the last of these guys as some seriously struggled. Only consistent was the inconsistent calls and lack of interest shown.Premier weekend of basketball needs standards improved.Do evaluators ever give any feedback that these refs listen to ?

Reply #317669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good weekend but gee I am tired and I didn't even play

Reply #317670 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

i know there was a NBL evaluator around.

There were interstate refs and I think this is good.

Since we have been doing this exchange we are not as surprised when we play in melbourne with the calls and interpretation and our refs bring back the melbourne feel.

Only had one ref all weekend who did not know what was going on - rest were quite ok.

Frustrating thing for us was the amount of times our coach would correctly go to the bench for a time out and it would take 2-3 whistles before it registered with the person on the clock. Very tough if you are trying to set a clutch play up.

Reply #317672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always one wanker that has to have a go at the refs, in 6 U18 boys games this weekend I only questioned the refs once, remember no refs no tournament.

Any thoughts on maybe playing this tournament over two weekends, pool games one week, finals the next, some tired boys tonight

Reply #317673 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

Was a geat weekend.

Reserves Boys - Sturt
Reserves Girls - Sturt
Reserves Overall - Sturt

State Boys - Sturt
State Girls - Sturt
State Overall - Sturt

Can anyone remember this happening before?

Reply #317674 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

and the reason I know they did not know what was going on "you are only allowed to catch the ball in basketball when you have both feet on the ground"

(face palm)

Reply #317675 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

secret sabre - around 2006

Reply #317676 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

no it is a tournament - if it is spread out - it will not test the strength of a squad / club and it is not what you will get at club u14s and classics.

I would like to see a weekend for div 3s and 4s to feel part of it.

Reply #317677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div 3's and 4's can play when they are good enough

Reply #317679 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

North won Girls State in 2006 as well as Sturt

Reply #317684 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

sorry vesta incorrect

1 = State Champion Club
Male

2 = State Champion Club
Female

3 = Trevor Martin
State Champion Club

1 - Sturt Sabres

2 - Forestville Eagles

3 - Sturt Sabres

1 - Sturt Sabres

2 - Forestville Eagles

3 -Sturt Sabres

1 - Sturt Sabres

2 - Sturt Sabres

3 - Sturt Sabres

the only thing you may be getting mixed up with or even looks close is -

Reserve Champion Club Female

Sturt Sabres and
North Adelaide Rockets

if you do not believe me go to sportingpulse and select past winners

Reply #317686 | Report this post

witnessed it  
Years ago

last girls state for North was 2004

Reply #317687 | Report this post

CB4  
Years ago

Norwoods' U-18 Div 1 girls were a major disappointment in the State Champs GF yesterday. At times the players body language & lack of defensive effort against Sturt was disturbing. Such a talented team individually but cant seem to produce consistent performances when it counts. Their coach seems to be destined to run 2nd all the time i.e. Summer Grand Final, National Championships in Tassie & now State Champs!

Reply #317702 | Report this post

wakeuptroy  
Years ago

The particular coach in question is so perfect that any time a norwood player or state player makes a mistake they must sit, how does that breed confidence,
all you get is second guessing, scared to breathe.

Reply #317703 | Report this post

GCWV  
Years ago

I missed GF day - any outstanding or noteworthy performances good or bad? Any great games? Any big upsets?

Reply #317732 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

U18 Girls State:

1. Sturt
2. Norwood
3. Tigers

U18 Girls Reserve:

1. Tigers
2. North
3. Sturt

Well done everyone. Bring on the Classics!!.

Reply #317739 | Report this post

bballfan  
Years ago

Agree with umpire inconsistencies. Some were allowing 3 pointers in U/14's whilst others were not. Depended on whether they'd read the rules I guess.

Reply #317745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were some great games/results that I saw or heard about across the board.
- game of the tournament for mine was the Norwood v Sturt U/18 boys state pool game (not the GF), where Norwood were (I believe) 31 up at half time, 33 up in the third quarter....and 3 up with 4 mins to go. Just an astonishing game of two halves, with some massive bombs, huge blocked shots, and a great, great atmosphere. A brilliant game with Norwood finishing on top. Well done to both sides for this epic encounter which was I'm sure enjoyed by all who witnessed it (bar perhaps the Sturt die-hards).
- 16 boys state saw some topsy turvy results. Southern beating previously untouchable West, North then beating Southern. Woodville then beating North. Southern then beating Woodville on the buzzer. Eastern beating Forestville. Then West and Sturt both getting knocked out in the semis. A scrappy GF going to a couple of OTs.
This grade alone certainly takes to task the person who said it was "same old same old".
- Centrals qualifying for Classics in 14 girls, and hopefully also 12 boys. Well done to our Northern-most club.
- the 14 girls semi with one team held to 1 point at half time.
- what seemed like an increase in Southern teams in semis. Definitely a good weekend by the Southern 18 boys and girls.
- the closeness of the girls state grade - again an argument against the thread of "one dominant club, it's all doom and gloom". 4 clubs right around the mark, and had results on the last day gone different ways, the result could have been reversed.

Overall, I thought it was a great weekend, I saw some great basketball. Amid all the complainers and nay sayers what I saw kids having a ball and playing with passion for their mates and club.

Reply #317757 | Report this post

GCWV  
Years ago

3s are supposed to be allowed in 14s I think?

Reply #317759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 18 semi final between Norwood and southern was a great game, biggest block I have ever seen in a junior game, the kid that did it number 55 for the tigers is a gun!

Reply #317775 | Report this post

red34  
Years ago

It was a great block, however if I was Southern I'd be more concerned about how they choked so badly in the fourth quarter.

Reply #317788 | Report this post

Tiger ted  
Years ago

They ran out of legs plain and simple, Norwood and sturt had easier games throughout the weekend, watching the play off for third was like watching two teams in slow motion

Reply #317798 | Report this post

bballfan  
Years ago

3's are allowed in U/14s at district games but during Easter classics were not allowed. Depending on which venue you were at and which umpire you got determined whether 3's were allowed or not. At the State champs at one venue they were allowed and at another venue they were not. Some teams lost by 2 points so the 3 point rule should've been consistent throughout the tournament. Does anyone know?

Reply #317804 | Report this post

really ted?  
Years ago

So you are admitting that your 18 Boys are not fit enough to see out a whole tournament. That must be a huge concern with Classics approaching. They will need to play tougher games than that over there, and they'll need to do it over and over again.

Not the sort of thing I'd be admitting to on a forum if I were you Ted. You don't want the word getting out that the way to beat Southern is to just run out the whole four quarters.

Reply #317805 | Report this post

3 ball  
Years ago

I remember seeing U14 boys GF at easter and Sturt sure hit some 3's in that game and they definitely counted! Didn't see them this weekend but I am sure they'd have probably shot some more.

Reply #317807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood at Easter carnival caused themselves problems with one set of rules saying three's counted but on the score bench saying they did not. That is why 3s were counted some places and not others cause some did some homework and eventually Nwd changed their laminated rules on the bench to suit their on line rules.

state champs 3s should have counted in all u14 grades, they did in the stadiums I was at and the games I watched.

Reply #317809 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:14 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754