clarky
Years ago

Dillon, Rush set to join Tigers

Pending NBL approval, Liam Rush and Daniel Dillon are set to join the Melbourne Tigers on 3 year deals.

Rush and Dillon have been added to the existing squad of five returning Tigers players to shape the nucleus of the roster to compete for the 2011/12 iiNet NBL Championship Season.

Upon revealing the two key signings new Tigers Head Coach Trevor Gleeson has confirmed the existing contracts of exciting young star Bennie Lewis, Tigers veterans Tommy Greer and Daryl Corletto, and big men Cameron "Trigger" Tragardh and Matthew Burston.

Article can be found HERE

Topic #25548 | Report this topic

phil  
Years ago

bursten
tregarth( forget the spelling?)
rush/
?/ dillion/ corletto
? / ^see dillion

not a bad line up.

need to find a pg import ild think, and very good support for burston/ tregarth, and maybe a starting guard?? i think that line up with an ubaka quality pg would be a top contender. the other big would have to be quality as bursten has been injury prone and need to cover both bursten and tregarth.

Reply #317718 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Phil you forgot Lewis

Burston/Backup C
Trigger/Backup PF
Rush/Lewis
Dillon/Corletto
Import/Backup Pg

Reply #317720 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Burston / ______
Trigger / _______
Rush / Greer
Corletto / Lewis
_____ / Dillon

Must keep Lucas Walker.
Import PG - Ubaka? Ervin?
Back Up Big - Ben Allen maybe?

Reply #317721 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Ben Allen is signed with the crocs

Reply #317727 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

How about Jacob Holmes as a back-up 4? Can rebound well, decent role player. Don't expect his asking price would be too high...

For a backup 5 though, have no idea. At the moment at least

Reply #317733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aaron bruce could be targeted

Reply #317735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burston
Tragardh
Rush
Dillon
Ervin

Kickert
Walker
Greer
Lewis
Corletto

Not bad.

Reply #317737 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - if it pans out, Rush and Dillon are great signings for the Tigers. Wonder how Greer will feel at Rush starting his starting spot from him?

They still desperately need a decent PG to bring it all together, and I reckon they should also prioritise the signing of Walker.

Wonder what points Rush would be valued at in returning from the Swedish League in europe? Kickert if he comes back to Oz from his Polish team may face the same prospect as Rush.

Reply #317738 | Report this post

Here's Humphrey  
Years ago

DMAC been given the lemon and sarc.... Now he'll need to find a real job like the rest of us.

Reply #317742 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Greer although has started for a long time I reckon is more suited to an impact guy coming off the bench. Just like during 07/08 ish when he played with that full court defense in spurts.

Priority definitely has to be finding a gun at point guard. Anything less won't be good enough.

Reply #317743 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I think they have picked up a good 2 and 3 sf.
They now need to find a great US PG that can score and a good aussie back up PG
l agree with Phil, that they need a back up centre for Burstons as he is ill injury prone

Reply #317746 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Did the 36ers go for Rush?

Reply #317750 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

No loyalty from Dillon!!

Reply #317766 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Nope! But at least he is coming to Melbourne :D

If Ubaka has left Cairns too as rumored, they could be in trouble next season

Reply #317770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dillon always wanted to stay in Melbourne

Reply #317782 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

there is a big chance ubaka will turn up where dillon does.(nightclub buddies)

cairns certainly played a big role in dillons break out season......loyalty is a thing of the past.

like m.beecroft said the other day.....'if we pay every free agent what they are asking,we will be broke again'.

its a cut throat game this pro sports......cairns role in the league looks to be that of giving young unknown(or dumped) players a go,and taking calculated value based,risks with imports.

it worked last season !!!!!

Reply #317783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickertt if his body is ok is by far the best to chase. Lucas Walker is a must and Dan Dillion is solid.
They need a legit PG,
With Cam Treg who can score if they also find a decent centre they would go close to winning it. They should have kept Daniel Johnson. I think Burston is a soft cock!!!

Reply #317800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burston/Kickert
Tragardh/Walker
Rush/Greer
Dillon/Lewis
IMPORT/Corletto

looks ok to me, Dillon and Corletto can play 5-10 mins a game each at pg behind the import pg, aslong as the pg is good and can play 25-30 mins per game they will be fine!

Reply #317810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No room for Walker in my opinion, need two true point guards.

?Ubaka?/?Crosswell?
Dillon/Corletto
Rush/Lewis
Tragardh/Greer
Burston/?Kickert?

Ubaka, Crosswell and Kickert are just the first that come to mind.

Reply #317815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In addition to an import PG they really need an aussie backup PG who can handle the ball and create - Bruce would be an excellent addition

Tigers got killed last year because they have too many who aren't strong ball handlers

Reply #317818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do hey need Walker with Lewis, Greer and Rush now signed?

Reply #317819 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that Lewis and Greer are contracted for next season so the signing of Rush might have been a proactive move by the Tigers to cover for Walker?

Definitely agree, the more ball handlers the better! Some teams last year had 3 pg's on their roster's while Melbourne where in struggletown with 1.

Maybe even Luke Martin? His speed combined with Dillon would be impressive. As a backup of course !

Reply #317826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luke martin is already signed with the kings

Reply #317827 | Report this post

Slow Motion  
Years ago

Why does every fan talk about loyalty?!?! Clubs aren't loyal to anyone so why should expect a player to be? Loyalty is a thing of the past when u worked for free and stAyed at a club for life. U have to look out for #1 in this game because if u don't no one will.

Dillon made the right decision. Playing in front of family and friends and being in his home town.

Reply #317845 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

Walker is no 4 man. If these signings go through there is no spot for him as a 3.

Reply #317848 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is definitely capable of playing both forward spots, as he showed last season.

Reply #317865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dillon had to take a three year deal - he'd been a development player bounced out of the league previously so a three year deal in his home town with a coach that wants him is pretty appealing - Were the Taipans matching that?

I dont see a spot for Walker in this mix

Reply #317866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

walker to the 36ers maybe? does he have any connection to clarke?

Reply #317926 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

I don't see a spot for Walker either unfortunately. 2 point guards and another centre is what they need I reckon. Even though he can play both forward positions, I think they are looking for a backup for Burston. Tragardh is a 4 man and can't really shift over to the 5 so they need a big guy

Reply #317928 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they desperately need an athletic 3-4 man and if they arent going for an import then Walker would be the man. I have heard he has already been offered a contract by Melbourne.

Reply #317931 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

If Paul is correct and Walker has been offered a contract, I think the Tigers might be looking to build a team similar to that of the Breakers last season and play small ball.

The Tigers are also rumoured to be looking at Peter Crawford and an import PG.

If these signings occur the Tigers roster could look as follows:

Starters: Trigger, Greer, Rush, Crawford, Import.
Bench: Burston, Walker, Lewis, Corletto, Dillon.

Which is very similar to the NZ roster of last season.

NZ: Wilkinson, Vukona, Abercrombie, Penney, Henare.
Bench: Pledger, Boucher, Anthony, Bruton, Braswell.

Reply #317935 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Dillon made the right call..............If he wants holidays in April 2012!!

Reply #317937 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was told of the rumoured offer to Walker well before Rush was announced though, I wonder if that affects things? I think the Tigers would be mad not to keep Walker though.

Reply #317947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would grab walker at the 6ers if up 4 grabs. would b above ave backup to balls n weigh. big strong and athletic.

Reply #317951 | Report this post

rob  
Years ago

walker would be a good signing for the taipans

Reply #317953 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Walker is a great signing for any team that needs a swingman and a guy who can play mins at PF. The Tigers need a big guy for when Burston goes down with injury (Melbourne got lucky last year with him being pretty much healthy). I reckon they would be silly to go after Crawford now too. There are already too many other players who can play his position on the roster!

Reply #317956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:35 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754