Bucks
Years ago

Kyrie Irving not ruling out Playing for Australia

Just seen a interview on Kyrie Irving on Nba.com and it was interesting to see he sees himself as an international prospect, and if he doesn't do well in team USA trials, Playing internationally for Australia is a Big possibility.

NBA.comhttp://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2011/05/17/20110517_lottery_winner.nba/

Topic #25568 | Report this topic

phil  
Years ago

since he has played for usa before i thought he is no longer eligible to play for australia?

Reply #318056 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah he has played in a USA junior team and is ineligible to play for Australia now.

Reply #318057 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Mark Davis, Cal Bruton, Leroy Loggins, Scott Fisher ..... he'll just have to spend a few years in Australia and then return to the NBA later.

We can be rest assured Brett Brown is all over this. If there's any way, he'll make it happen.

Reply #318059 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Dont think any of those guys mention Mo repp'ed the USA.
There would have to be away that you can renounce your intentions though

Reply #318060 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

From memory (Charlie V did this at one point), FIBA rules require him to apply to switch nationality and the USA has to agree.

Don't think he played junior national ball for Haiti or Dominican Republic or whoever it was he swapped to, rules may have changed since.

In the FIFA (soccer) world, the simplified version is that players can play for any junior national team that they want, but as soon as they play for a senior national team that's it, and after the age of 21 can only play for one national team. There are some dual-citizen young Aussies who have recently played for both Greece and Australia, Ireland and Australia etc at underage tournaments or in friendlies.

Reply #318061 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What Libertine said, and also the Secretery of FIBA has to agree to it. Is possible but it all depends on him not being anywhere near selection for the US team.

If I were the Melbourne Tigers though, I would certainly be getting in touch with him to come out during the lockout and offering to bring his whole family out here. Might have to move some games from the Cage though.

Reply #318063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh guys,irving wont be playinmg for the tigers next season, lockout or not.

Reply #318070 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Irving playing for Australia though is a real long shot. As pointed out, USA basketball have to approve his request and then FIBA have to ratify it.

He is actually exactly what the Tigers need too Paul - a decent point guard! Would be great but I doubt it would happen.

Reply #318077 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Are these comments about NBL players coming over and playing for the Tigers blatant swipes at their salary cap history or are people serious?

Just tell him Melbourne is better than Cleveland and i'm sure he'd move voluntarily.

Reply #318087 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Didn't Ben Gordon play underage ball for the USA and now represents GB (along with Deng)?

It would seem to me that if he feels he will never play for the US (which is a distinct possiblility with current PG depth) he may look elsewhere.

Germany have done it with Chris Kaman, why shouldn't we?

Reply #318091 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If I was someone with some kind of power at BA HQ, then I would already be pushing for him to swap allegiance!

I just cannot see it happening as even if Irving did want to swap, he would still need USA Basketball and FIBA's approval.

Reply #318097 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Curtley, just throwing ideas out there. NBA players will be permitted to play in other leagues if there is a lockout, so if I was an NBL club I would be at least sussing out guys with any sort of connection to Australia.

Who knows, the thought of coming to Australia, playing ball and getting US$150-200K might appeal more to shivering through a European winter.

As for Irving, given he was born in Melbourne while his dad was playing here I think that is doubly worth a shot for the Tigers. He can only say no.

Reply #318109 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

KB3 those boys mentioned by Mo definately repp'ed for the USA in their day. It just happened to be on the dance floors of various nightclubs around Australia.

Reply #318115 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC, lets see, we have larry S., Wayne C., Chuck H., Marc H., ... nope, no one at BA with any sort of power...

Reply #318132 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Even if he could, why do we want him if he only wants to play with us if he cant make it with his own country? I say we shouldnt let him even if he can

Reply #318277 | Report this post

Titenda  
Years ago

From reading Andrew Bogut's blogs, Kyrie wants to play for Australia and go to London 2012, but his old man does not like the idea.

Reply #318304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA would probably approve it, i mean why not? cos that's gonna cost them the gold?

Reply #318754 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754