Thomo
Years ago

Crosswell 2yr contract

Anstey has twittered that crosswell has signed a 2 year deal to join the sixers,

not a bad signing as it would appear that hes come extremely cheap as well still leaving good money to secure big red and quality import/aussie

what do people think of this signing (if it turns out correct)

Topic #25608 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah if true gd back up. Hopefully he is close to big red n he gets on board to. Gd import or two n were looking beter

Reply #318669 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If true, looks like an insurance signing by Marty should he not snag the starting PG he is after. Crosswell is a nice safe pair of hands who could step in and start if he had to and is a solid signing if he truly does come cheap.

Reply #318672 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I like crosswell, I wanted him before we signed Carter last season, so if this is true i am happy. He will give us a good ball handler off the bench. I think it's also a good thing to have a veteran pg off the bench. I'd hope that he could put up similar numbers to what carter did last season.

He absolutely killed us when townsville were here last, so lets hope he can bring some of that to the team.

Reply #318673 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Trust me - you've got a good guy for starters and a guy that can score for your second unit.

He got to the line well last year and made some big plays when our 2nd unit couldn't score.

Just make sure the people in the front few rows take buckets to the first few games or until they get used to that shooting style ;)

Reply #318674 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Heard the Sixers are also sniffing around an American guard who apparently tore up Homicide in Homicide's last SEABL (or whatever) game.

Reply #318675 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Plays for Tasmania/Launceston...

Reply #318676 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Should be a handy back up to hopefully Ervin.

Reply #318677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can some1 find out the name of the guy who tore Williams up pls

Reply #318681 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Shawntes Gary is the player I think people may be reffering to?

Was an NBA prospect with the Pacers and looks like he is putting up decent numbers in the SEABL...

Reply #318682 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=190857737&client=1-3363-36749-148972-4362798

Reply #318683 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I think your right Tornado. He dropped 36 on Homicide earlier in the week. Looks like a flat out scorer and a pretty good rebounder. Dunno about how he would go as a point in the NBL tho. His assist numbers aren't great.

Reply #318684 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not a bad signing. With Bruce looking like he was going to Sydney and Carter heading to Sweden the options appeared to be either running Daly as back up point or getting 2 guard imports like we always do or find another Aussie point guard who is available.
Having a quality backup gives us more flexibility when signing our remaining 4 players. By my count we now have 34 points left for our remaining 4 spots.
If we do manage to sign Schenscher and hopefully Herbert, that gives us 19 points.
Import 10/Crosswell 6
Import 9/Ng 6
Weigh 7/Herbert 5
Ballinger 10/Creek 1
Schenscher 10/Johnson 6

If it's true we are looking at someone from SEABL level, would they come at 9 points? Or is there a requirement that new imports are always 10s?
Judging by the budget teams we have been going with, I'd imagine this team would be out of our price range?
If we don't get Schenscher, we can look at a centre import and see what's out there for the final spot.

Reply #318688 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect that if you have Schenscher, Ballinger, two imports, Weigh and Johnson, then the 10th player is probably going to have to be a rookie on the minimum. Could be wrong though. Club is having a shot at Mills too, no idea how much he would want, but you would think if he turns his back on Europe to play here he would understand he wont get megabucks.

Reply #318690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard homicide isnt playing SEABL anymore? anyone know why?

Reply #318693 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Homicide had family matters to attend to back in the States i believe i read.

Reply #318694 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

http://www.dvcdubs.com/clients/wis/shawntes_gary_highlight/
Shawntes Gary Highlights

Reply #318695 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

If Troy DeVries is fit he is only a 9 point player as is Will Blaylock and Patrick Sanders

Reply #318697 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Dont want Gary from SEABL. Seen him play lots of times, would be similar to Winder. Is definitely not a point guard at NBL level. A step backwards. Gary can definitely score but would have been Groves that was guarding him I would have thought, not Homicide.

Reply #318699 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Also really like the Crosswell signing. Would take him ahead of Gary any day of the week.

Reply #318700 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not a bad collection of highlights there for Shawntes Gary. Some nice blocks and rebounding there too.
Similar looking video to Winder's. Athletic, lots of scoring but nothing to suggest he will be able to run a team.
Turnover to Assist ratio is very poor.
229 FGA for only 18 assists.
Team has lost 5 in a row while he's been putting up good numbers. Either he's got absolutely nothing around him to work with or he is the reason for the bad record.
Assuming he's a backup plan for if Schenscher falls through? Not looking at him as our starting point guard?

Reply #318701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon they are looking at him as a cheap import, if Luke signs there will only be enough money left for 2 average imports, or 1 gun and 1 solid div 2 import.

Reply #318702 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Really like picking up Crosswell to go with the Ng signing as Crosswell can carry ball well and distribute well to give Ng open shots . Good import PG and Schens. make this team look good with lots of potential .
Still like to see Herbert in team to improve our defensive pressure but who can hit shot if left open.

Reply #318704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic! Great signing! Vet point off the bench, I like it!

Reply #318708 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Love the signing. Good guy and good back up pointguard. We needed more experience on our roster and crosswell gives us that.

Reply #318709 | Report this post

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

Luke S 5
Balls 4
Weigh 3
Cheap Import 2
Ervin 1

------------
Bench:

Ng
Johnson
Herbert
Daly
Creek
Crosswell

Reply #318710 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Seriously im seeing Ervin mentioned a lot, is he literally a high possibility or is it wishful thinking?

Reply #318711 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Take out the cheap import and put in Herbert methinks.

Reply #318712 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We probably only need to run a 9 man rotation this year if we get Schenscher, Ervin and Herbert.
Clarke has shown that he likes to use everyone on his list, so with 9 instead of 10 could be a good thing.
Schenscher, Ballinger and Johnson would share the 80 minutes in the big positions. Weigh and Creek sharing minutes at small forward (probably 25-15). 20 and 15 for Herbert and Ng at the 2. 30 minutes for Ervin and 15 mins for Crosswell. Daly can be used as the 10th man for junk minutes. Probably only the 2 spot that we are lacking in somewhat, but if Ng gets his shot going and Herbert plays solid defense then we will hold our own there.

Reply #318713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think a few teams would still be going for Ervin. Hawks and Taipans maybe short of cash. Melbourne, GC and Perth have no room. Townsville maybe? NZ could consider him. Adelaide hopefully going for him strongly.

Reply #318715 | Report this post

Hugh  
Years ago

MAN! Talk about the glass half full approach.
The fact you guys are happy with Crosswell shows how low your expectations have fallen with Clarke in charge.

I admire your positive outlook however.

Reply #318716 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, signing a championship starting pg as your back up is terrible! How can you all be so happy? It's not as if he helped his team to the SFs last year, is it?

Reply #318719 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Crosswell is a dud.
He choked against Cairns in the finals.
Go back and watch those games.
Cant shoot and cant step up when the pressure comes.
He played well against us in 1 game.
He is old and injury prone and that is a poor decision maker
and that is why the Tigers moved him on.
Then again with those attribute he fits for a Clarketype player.

Reply #318730 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

LOL @ Peter, you give Crosswell crap in this thread about him being a dud yet in the other thread you stated we are losing our best players referring to Jacob Holmes, clearly your just bashing any decision that Clarke is making, you need a spoon of cement to harden up, Clarke is here to stay whether you like it or not. you must be Ninnis or at least related to him

Reply #318736 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

my guess is they would use Shawntes Gary as the cheap import SG/SF alongside a Ervin or Mills type PG.

He looks like a Winder type, so yea i agree i wouldnt want him as the starting PG but at SG i think he would be fine, as would Winder have been.

Hopefully we will manage to get a line up like

Schenscher/Johnson
Ballinger/Creek
Weigh/Herbert
Gary(cheap import)/Ng
Ervin/Crosswell

That should have us well into finals contention.

If that doesnt fit points wise, i dont think it does on quick guestimates, either leave out Herbert and replace him with a 1 point player, or Start Herbert and go with 1 import and a cheap aussie ie Dowdell, not sure which 1 id chose, id probably start Herbert and go with 1 import personally, but a close call.

Reply #318748 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

jonno - i like the 'leave out herbert' theory.....then he can come to cairns.

he would love it here,its all sunshine and happiness!!

he would fit in perfectly under fearney and a chance to have a breakout year.....become a legend within the community.....and add $$ to his future contracts.

Reply #318756 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Whats with slotting Creek in at backup PF all of a sudden guys? He does not have the size to play PF on a regular basis. He will backup Weigh. Bank on it.

Reply #318757 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Only one mention of Dowdell? Those proposed benches have only one backup big man. The team must have another 4 on the bench, if Balls misses games (which is likely given his record) or one of the big guys gets injured (which is likely for 7footers) then we need a big backup, I would think something like this is more like a balanced team:

Schenscher
Balls
Weigh
Import
Import

Crosswell
Ng
Creek
Dowdell
Johnson

Reply #318759 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Actually I don't think that fits under the points cap. How about swap Herbie for one of the imports. Would that fit?

Reply #318760 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Reply #318762 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

^ well said haha

Nutwork, doesn't fit with 2 imports, but it does with Herbie instead of an import SG.

Reply #318763 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Ok signing, would have preferred Bruce back but Crosswell should be able to be a steady handler and drop some shots from time to time.

Reply #318769 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Any confirmation on Bruce going to Sydney or is that just the rumor mill again?

As for Croswell, I'll say he's a pick I wouldn't have chosen but he's proven a capable player. I pray to god that Marty does something about his horrid foulshot.

Reply #318770 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bruce to Sydney has come from many, many different directions. I think that is a pretty good bet. Some talk of a two year deal.

Reply #318771 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Skull, Herbie will be recruited by Tigers after one season at Trinity Inlet

Reply #318774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok so we have signed 2 backups in ng n crosswell and a starter in weigh. Need big red, sanders n a pg and i would b happy. until that happens its so so.

Reply #318775 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Don't know why you guys ever thought you were getting Luke.....

Reply #318787 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

awesome signing, cant wait to see him in action

Reply #319102 | Report this post

Wildcat  
Years ago

Shawntes Gary isn't a PG he is a shooting guard. Can shoot and is unguardable off the dribble. Teams would be silly not to look at him. Could play NBL.

Reply #319649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754