Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Lakers announce new coach (spoiler)

The Lakers have signed Mike Brown, former Cleveland and LeBron coach, to a four-year deal. Some interesting fan reactions already:

Now when I first heard that they were looking for at hiring a Brown for the coaching job, Mike wasn't even the first Brown to come to my mind. With valuable coaching options like Larry Brown or Hubie Brown out there in the NBA world, Mike Brown doesn't seem like all that great of an option. Add that to the fact that they chose him over the other two leading candidates, Rick Adelman and Brian Shaw, and you may just be left scratching your head at this hiring.

The jury won't deliver their verdict on this one until a) next year's playoffs and b) he can deliver a big name free agent signing (eg Rubio, Howard, Paul). Until then ..... interesting signing.

Go Bulls.

Topic #25613 | Report this topic

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

Seems like an underwhelming choice.

Reply #318805 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Very interesting to say the least...I actually thought that Mike Brown's head coaching days were done and dusted following his tenure and inability to deliver a title with LeBron at the Cavs!

Reply #318808 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Yeah totally agree, have NO idea why they would sign this bloke. I guess time will tell...My guess is he's fired within 2 years.

Reply #318812 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I rate Brown as a coach.
In Cleveland he did have LBJ, but what he did with that team was still amazing.

The Cleveland teams back then were the best Defensive teams in the league.
In 08-09 season, they were the Best defensive team in the league (1st out of 30) as they gave up just 91.4 PPG to their opposition.
Their record was a phenomenol 66-16.

BROWN KNOWS HOW TO COACH DEFENCE and people should give him his due credit.
Its easier to coach offense e.g. D'Antoni
Coaching defence is much harder and requires alot of hard-work (How to defend players in on-ball scenarios, rotations, d-trans).

Best of luck to Mr. Brown

Reply #318823 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Go Bulls.

Reply #318841 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Totally agree I'm a cavs fan (still) and mike brown did so much for the cavs and deserves the chance to coach the lakers .

I'm sure if the executives at Cleveland had of brought in a decent player when they had the chance ie. Stoudemire , brown would have brought Cleveland championships !

With the lakers he'll take control of a much more complete team . Brian shaw will take control of the offense with the triangle and mike brown will make this team the best defensively in the league .

And don't be surprised if the lakers deal pau gasol this summer . Maybe for an iguodala or a rudy gay ?

Reply #318850 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

I'd eat my hat if the Lakers deal Pau Gasol. And I'll also eat your hat if its for either Iguodala or Gay.

Reply #318861 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Well theyre going to deal Bynum or gasol .

You'd think they'd keep Bynum as future prospect .

Iguodala and gay are proven scorers and. Could release pressure on Kobe . I don't mind it . Or maybe upgrade at the point to a baron
Davis or etc .

I just think gasol is moving on . Changes need to be made

Reply #318865 | Report this post

Rather have a coach with pro experience over college and one who has coached and won at highest level and coached and built a good relationship with a star - Brown fits all categories - and he is young .

Reply #318869 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Good signing. The Lakers defence was the reason they struggled this playoffs and got swept by Dallas. Brown changes that.

I also think the Lakers need some freshening up. They almost look bored at times. I think bringing in an outsider vs hiring someone like Shaw helps to fix some of those problems.

Reply #318871 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see how Brown goes. I don't think it was necessarily his fault that the Cavs came up short. Aside from Lebron, he really didn't have much talent to work with.

What really got my attention though, was that Kobe was not consulted about who the next coach would be. Kobe had previously endorsed Shaw for the position, but ownership has gone in a different direction.

The article I saw (I think via Hoopsworld) said that Jerry Buss had handed the decision over to his son, Jim, who decided to go with Brown. It also suggested that Jim Buss is looking to put his stamp on the organisation and that now that Jackson has retired, he wants to clean out many of the old staff associated with him, to begin afresh.

Interesting if true - there could be quite a few changes afoot in Lakerland.

I still think, however, that provided relations between Pau, Kobe, etc are okay, they should have another crack next season. Kobe has slowed down a little, but is still one of the best in the game so they should try to ride him one more season at least. Perhaps a longer off-season this year will help him heal up.

They could trade Gasol or Bynum or Odom in an attempt to get backcourt help for Kobe, but its a tough call, because you would be breaking up the huge advantage the Lakers have had with the sheer length and size of their frontcourt. Trading Gasol would certainly get something good in return, but how do you replace one of the best power forwards in basketball? Could Bynum and Odom really carry the load without Gasol's offensive ability?

Reply #318882 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

You know, I love the Lakers and have since I was a kid. They do this every now and then, hire a coach who's not the best available. Sometimes it pays off, but most times it hasn't :-(

Time will tell how Mike Brown will go as head coach of the Lakers....Good luck to him though.

Reply #318889 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754