Anonymous
Years ago

Melbourne this year?

with bradke, and most likly Gaze and the other oldies what will Team Melboune look like this season

Topic #2562 | Report this topic

Bulldog  
Years ago

A lot younger, thats how they will look!

Reply #28927 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I just returned from Melbourne and will later post a few things that I found interesting about how the Tigers operate.

While I was meeting with Seamus McPeake (Tigers' majority owner) he was booking urgent flights to Sydney for himself and Al Westover (Lindsay Gaze's likely successor). They are about to sign two players (their staff won't tell me who, only that they have "championship experience"). They have been linked with Glen Saville (fits the bill) and Smith so I wouldn't be surprised if one of them came onboard. All this, while making a profit on 2,500 people/game!

Reply #28940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the weather like there today. IM headed there tomorrow to speak to some potentials.

Reply #28941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Warm. 30ish. 31 tomorrow I think. We were down at St Kilda this morning before the flight back and it was about as sunny as I've seen Melbourne be.

Reply #28943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To some this will be common knowledge, but here's a few things I learnt more about on Friday that some might find interesting.

Seamus McPeake is the majority owner of the Tigers and also runs a business (McPeake) involved in painting and construction I think. Unlike the scenario in Adelaide where the Sixers play/train and are administered from the single venue, the Tigers run their office within those of McPeake's business. It's not that far out of the city (the Adelaide equivalent would be something like where the Snowdome/Ice Arena is in relation to the CBD -- walking distance if you're not lazy. It's actually branded more strongly as being the Tigers office than McPeake's and is on an intersection so they could get some passing eyeballs (that said, the branding could be far, far bolder IMO). Fans can buy tickets from there even though it's not the game night venue, but it'd not really set up as a receptive sales booth or anything. While I was there I chatted briefly with David Stiff who seemed to be in a happy mood (what's new!).

They play out of the Netball and Hockey centre which is also near the city. I've not seen it myself, but apparently it's a decent venue. It holds around 3,500, but they average around 2,500 to each game. Despite the low attendance, the Tigers have recorded a profit in each of the last two years. It'd be fair to add that they've had a good mix of local loyalty (Gaze's, etc) and spending for bench depth (DMac, Stiff, Tucker, etc), so they're not being cheap with their roster.

The craziest thing about their setup, though, is that the players train at Sandringham, about 35km from the CBD!

A couple of staff and a volunteer were also in the meeting, and the rapport between them all was very positive. I know that Seamus would possibly have some level of infamy amongst Sixers fans for a gesture made to Fox cameras in the past, but my impression of him was really positive. Definitely passionate about the club and the sport, and up-front and realistic. The staff in attendance were very up-beat about the upcoming signings by the club and I think that's going to translate to fans wanting to know what comes after Gaze, Copeland and Bradtke who were the engine of the club for 10+ years.

Reply #29022 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Anonymous 28941, weather has turned shitty, nasty rain coming in.

Isaac, I went to Tigers game at the Netball and Hockey centre this past season, it is a decent stadium, and gets pretty loud when the Tigers get on a roll, but the parking is crap if you get there late. You have to park in the zoo car park and walk a fair way.

Reply #29023 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Catch a tram. It's just outside the door.

Reply #29025 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754