LC
Years ago

Pippen: "LeBron may be the greatest ever"

Scottie Pippen: LeBron could be best

From Pippen in the article:

"Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game. But I may go as far as to say LeBron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will but he keeps everybody involved."

So what do people think - can LeBron James become the greatest playter ever to have played the game?

Pippen has certainly for everyone talking about it once again...

Topic #25631 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pippen was always jealous of MJ and could never get over how much of the spotlight he got.

About as valid an observation as when back in 2008 Greg Anthony (former Knick) & Mark Jackson (former Knick) said Kobe had now passed Jordan as the greatest player of all-time.

Take it all with a large grain of salt.

Jordan was on a whole different level to LeBron and the rest of them.

Reply #319017 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ Agree with anon.

Reply #319021 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Jordan will always be the best, how many rings, defensive player of the years, he took the last shot everytime when every team knew he was going to ( unlike lebron in cleveland).
Lebron couldnt do it in clevelnd so goes to miami to team up with bosh and wade says it all. they havent even won it yet. I hope dallas win in 4.

Lebron is good dont get me wrong but hes not close to jordan yet.

Reply #319022 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Funny Pippen would say that about Jordan as Pippen was nothing without Jordan... Bit of resentment that still lingers inside him..let it go Bro! Lebron is good but he needs to earn his stripes before he can be considered in Jordan's league.

Reply #319025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Discussion can start again when LeBron has 2 threepeats under his belt, with not a single one of those finals going the full 7 games.

Reply #319031 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jordan was a scorer who repeatedly came up short in the playoffs until Jackson and Pippen came on board. Pippen says James 'could' become the greatest ever. Hard to argue with that, we will have to wait and see if he 'does'.

Magic Johnson also deserves to be in the discussion.

Reply #319036 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Let's not forget how good Pippen actually was.

To Anon's "Pippen was nothing without Jordan" comment - Pippen was third in MVP voting in 1994 in the year the Jordan didn't play. Care to change that comment.

Personally I think Jordan will always be the GOAT. I think James has the skills and ability to replicate what he did but the question is how much he really wants it and whether he can match Jordans mental attitude and desire to win.

But on the flip side Jordan's Bull's teams were way better than LBJ's Cavs teams. Jordan couldn't win by himself (in the eighties) and neither could LBJ in his early years.

Reply #319039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is some merit in it. Physically lebron is a freak of nature. Jordan won it in his 7th year at the age of 28 (correct me if I'm wrong) I think it's lebrons 9th year at age 26 so lebron could potentially get at least 4 rings. He probably has around 7,8,9 seasons left so it's possible, but mark my words JORDAN is a once in 50yr player. No-one will EVER have a Fairytale career like MJ winning all 6 rings from 6 attempts, scoring titles, defensive POTY, steals leader, MVP's, dunk champ. Game 6 1998 is the greatest moment in sport history in the dying stages ( arguably )
Coming out of retirement to win the 1996 title on fathers day after the tragic loss of his dad. Lebron is undoubtedly a once in a generation player but Michael Jordan is and will always be the GOAT

Reply #319042 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lebron did what MJ never did...He quit.

In the Cavs second round playoff series Lebron simply quit. He wasn't giving it his all.

MJ never quit. The flu game springs to mind immediately..Quit was a word that wasn't in his vocabulary.

Reply #319048 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Funny how people are saying Pippen was nothing without Jordan... Pippen went to the playoffs all but one season after Jordan first retired

Reply #319051 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I still think that LeBron "could" still become the GOAT...he has age and time on his side...

I guess we really should really revisit this discussion once LeBron finally retires.

Reply #319060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" all but one season when jordan first retired" ... so that's a 100% fail rate !!

Reply #319062 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hey Ricey, who did he play for in those years?

I couldnt tell you. Portland?

They were great together!!

Reply #319063 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Playoffs every season except his last, must have been doing something right. One of the best players of all time also. Think his thoughts on lebron woul be more valid than not. If anything jordan needed pippen to win

Reply #319077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put down the bong ricey.
Do you remember game 6 1998 vs Utah? I remember pippen straining his back on a jam in the opening minutes and was ineffective for the rest if the night. Jordan then went on to drop 45 in front of a stacked Utah team and a hostile 20,000 screaming fans. Jordan needed pippen?
Put down the bong

Reply #319082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, Jordan needed Pippen. Puff puff pass.

Reply #319096 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I agree jordan is the best. Lebron James also has never been the complete player jordan was in the sense that jordan seemed completely ready for the NBA stage as he had done 3 years in college. James came out of high school and when the cavs lost to the spurs in NBA finals. One of the most mismatched finals in NBA history, James conceaded that he needed to get alot better and their weas plenty he had to work on in his game. Jordan had the complete game from the get go he was always ready for the challenge the only thing missing from his game was the 3 point shot which he was able to add during his carrer.

Just on another point Horace Grant has come out and siad if Jordan did'nt retire after their 3rd NBA championchip they would of won 8 championships. That has always been the common belief but Stephen Smith a sports writer who followed the Chicago Bulls said Jordan knew after they won the 3rd NBA championchip there run was over with the current team and they would have to rebuild. If Jordan had not retired the Chicago Bulls winning 8 championships in a row is very, very debateble.

Reply #319163 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Pfft. Jordan, Bird and Magic changed the face of Basketball. Lebron's just playing the style they set over 20 years ago.

Lebron gets stats, plain and simple. I'd compare him to Oscar Robertson; a guy who will be remembered as Mr Triple-Double; doing everything and anything, but will be remebered by players as "the guy who just had to have the ball all the time to be effective".

The only player(s) I would even put on par with Jordan as game-changers besides bird and magic would be Karl Malone and Shaq.

Infact, for the modern game, most people would have them in a 10-man team as the Greatest lineup:

Shaq, Malone, Bird, Jordan, Magic.

Reply #319186 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

But 4 who?

They needed each other very much.

Pippen will never be remembered for post Chicago days!

Reply #319240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic Johnson, very close to a career triple double average plus had huge clutch game.

Reply #319282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754