skip
Years ago

NBL Salary Cap investigation

Sports Editor of thewest.com.au Ross Lewis has tweeted that there is talk of an investigation focusing on the top four clubs from this past season after several 'outside tip offs"

...Clubs are to be investigated for 3rd party payments with Special emphasis on a food chain's financial backing of players....

Obviously the first one that springs to mind is Burger King for the Breakers. Interesting to see what happens.

Topic #25654 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

first one that sprung to my mind was macdonalds which sponsor cairns and townsville, forgot about burger king and NZ. this is interesting.

Reply #319519 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

will NZ get there trophy stripped

Reply #319520 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

would be interesting if it does get stripped, then that would have a damaging effect on Leamnis' 6 year plan

Reply #319523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the FIFA president could handle the investigation so we know its straight..............

Reply #319525 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BA said when they took control of the league that they would audit the top four teams.

Reply #319527 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Burger King and Penney maybe. If they found them guilty, would the club kick up a stink and bail from the league out of spite?

Reply #319528 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

perhaps when the breakers scored over 100 points at home it wasnt just the fans that got a free whopper!!!!

Reply #319530 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Is it not all clear now?

After years and years of enduring salary cap investigation spotlight after spotlight, we installed a coach with a 3 year plan to hide us in the bomb shelter and out of the "Top 4 Teams" payment inquisitions.

Genius.

Reply #319531 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

If New Zealand are found guilty they will be fined. The fine will be a whopper!

Reply #319533 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I have always be a bit suspect but have been told by other posters players are happy to accept less to live in NZ and supplement income from playing in the local league in the offseason.

Reply #319534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bribes are better at.....

Reply #319536 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

One player for certain was on a pretty Penny!

Reply #319537 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

a penney for your thoughts.....that means cairns can still win the title !
sorry dillon,doresy and ubaka there won't be any celebrating for you guy's when we bring home the trophy......wow,that would be a cracker of a story !!!

Reply #319543 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

We went over the cap in our back to back years, copped a fine but still won two championships. I can't see the league doing an NRL and stripping the club. If found to be true they will just get a fine.

Reply #319545 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Isaac, I would have thought if NZ pulled out they would lose their 1 million bond..

Reply #319546 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ninnis told us that BA would do an audit on the top 4
and that clubs had to put up a guarantee of about a million dollars.. to be in the newNBL .. and they would lose that , if caught paying over the cap.

Reply #319548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the 36ers went over the cap (or were found to be over the cap) in the back-to-back days I think it was a few years before that around the mid-90's and not defending it but it was only slightly over too I think.

Reply #319552 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Does this mean Australia basketball will be in the news again? I thinks it's been 2 weeks since the basketball coach sex-scandal.

Reply #319554 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-22856908.html

No cap? Not a great idea.

Reply #319555 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

36ers were fined over 80k when busted
The Breakers have been over the cap for a long time now so just deserts of the get caught.
IMO they should be stripped of the title.

Reply #319556 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It hasnt exactly been a well kept secret that they had third party deals (apparently for Bruton and Penney). I wonder if there is strong evidence, and I wonder if there is evidence for Perth or Townsville?

If NZ are found guilty, I suspect the amount they are over will determine if the are stripped of the title or not.

Reply #319558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers were over the cap several seasons ago.
One of the former directors of the club admitted paying extra money to an import.
The guy that stole the money from the Uni.
Cantrecall his name.

Reply #319559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - get your facts straight.
The guys who's name you can't remember gave the money to the previous owner to pay for JH. He had nothing to do with the ownership of the club at the time.

He then bought in, and contributed the same amount that the other members of SOS bought in at. He no longer has anything to do with the running of the club.

Reply #319560 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Putting it out there, how the hell do you steal 21 million by being a cashier? Flinders might want to hire some people to audit their finances more regularly...

Reply #319571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It shows you what kind of money these universities are swimming in to not notice more than $20 million disappearing into thin air. Supposed educational institutions shouldn't have that kind of money lying around, give it to the homeless or something.

The cash cow for these mobs are full fee-paying foreign students. Funny thing is you get into trouble if you buy a fake degree off of a website but if Daddy's got plenty of money that's okay.

Thank you Mr Howard.

Reply #319573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw an article recently saying that the NRL were considering adding a points cap to their salary cap.

Reply #319574 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think it prob has more to do with the Breakers owners owning the huge Pak N Save Supermarket in Albany than Burger Kings involvement. Maybe free groceries for players?

Reply #319575 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

ANBL: Breakers haven't broken salary cap
Newstalk ZB - June 2, 2011, 7:49 am

The ANBL has rubbished reports the title winning Breakers, and three other finals teams breached the salary cap in the just completed season.

A Western Australian newspaper claims all four teams have been asked to produce an audit by the ANBL into allegations players received undeclared sponsor payments.

But an ANBL official says it's complete rubbish.
He says they will be audited, but that is usual practice for the finals teams.

Found on Yahoo

Reply #319576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most regular kiwis can't wait to move to OZ accept for the breakers players who take less $$ on paper to stay and live in NZ....makes one think that something might be going on!!!

Reply #319585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy from the uni who is no longer involved publicly stated that he paid Hodge, extra cash.Over and above what he was paid on the books.
If it's found out that this occured in the resulting investigation and court action the NBl will puruse

Reply #319587 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Nice call on the Uni guy anonymous. Bit more research needed next time eh?

I reckon when we got done for being over the cap we outed oursevles.

From memory (dangerous...) Perth won the title and owned up for being over the cap but it was during an amnesty so they didn't get fined.

We came out the next season(??) said we did and got fine.

It was funny back then and I still find that funny/stupid now.

Reply #319593 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Seriously, if it were only free groceries who cares? I cant think of one player on NZ's roster who would have played elsewhere if they werent getting free groceries!!

I will await the auditors report before I get too excited about any of this.

Reply #319602 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Anon 573 - theres a world of difference in buying a fake degree off a website, and sinking 3,4,6 or7 years of your life as a full fee paying student, actually doing the work, sitting the exams and EARNING your degree.

Reply #319609 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Paul, wait and see what/if anything comes of the audit

Reply #319613 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

A lot of this stuff is impossible for auditors or anyone to uncover, particularly when players are being handed brown paper bags stuffed with cash by parties associated with the club but not the club itself.

I don't know how far reaching the auditor's powers are, they would have access to the bank accounts of the clubs but I doubt they would be able to see the players' bank accounts. I also doubt any club would be stupid enough to have details of any extra payments in writing (although someone probably would have dropped the ball on an email somewhere along the line which is where I would be looking as an auditor).

Reply #319622 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

billo re:I also doubt any club would be stupid enough to have details of any extra payments in writing
Melbourne Storm Lol

Reply #319626 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Or keep them on-site!

Reply #319629 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course, the investigator finding them there seems very iffy to me. "Oh, look what I found in the next room while doing my salary cap investigation!"

Reply #319631 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Answer, was going to say the same thing.

Reply #319646 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If NZ are found to be over the Cap, free whoppers for everyone

Reply #319709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754