Paul Luchter
Years ago

Single Game Scoring Records

I am a sports researcher. I am looking for all basketball games in which an individual scored 47 or more points (though the lower limit is variable and arbitrary, I decide it below 47. NBA begins at 49).

I am interested in filling in gaps. I came across an old forum thread on this subject. Can't locate it now, but it didn't serve my purposes as it was too lacking in details. I am interested in team names, dates, or at least years. Specificity.

The first page I will show you is the NBL listing. I noticed today I am missing a name in the second 50 point entry, a 1984 game, West Adelaide v Illawarra. My guess is this was Al Green, but I haven't been able to find it again. Can anyone verify that it is he? (was he?)

This list is lacking older, below 57 point entries, probably mostly pre-1984, but maybe later as well. Although my lists are usually more thorough than official ones, and the official one only goes down to around 57, maybe adding to this list is difficult..

That may be the easy part of my inquiry. The other leagues, and lower levels, school ball, etcetera, may prove harder, as this was where most mentions on the old forum thread were almost allegorical.

The following are on two pages, but I am listing 5 links, so as to get you to the correct portions of these very large pages:

In addition to adding scoring accomplishments I do not have, I am interested in "fixing" the lists if my headings are incorrect. I presume some of it is wrong as to league names, and such.

For all male non-regular season NBL games and all adult players, here is where the listings are:
http://www.luckyshow.org/basketball/100pts.htm#Ozmen

For all male youth, including college, high school and under 20 year old leagues, etc., here is where they are:
http://www.luckyshow.org/basketball/100pts.htm#Ozboys

For scoring records for those playing on Australian national teams, go here:
http://www.luckyshow.org/basketball/100pts.htm#Oznat

For female players under 20, for Oz girls records, go here:
http://www.luckyshow.org/basketball/WomenPioneers.htm#Ozgirls

For women records, see:
http://www.luckyshow.org/basketball/WomenPioneers.htm#Ozwomen

Please, any additions and corrections, but with details, full names, teams, opponents; the season, or year, at least; the score if known. Any other details such as location, statistics, etc. Thanks.

There is an additional listing I can mention, the consecutive free throw records. I have no records for any Australian of any type:
http://www.luckyshow.org/basketball/straightFTs.htm

Thanks,
Paul Luchter
[email protected]
Amazing Sports Lists
http://www.luckyshow.org/Amazing/amazingsportslists.htm

(Mod: Title updated.)

Topic #25684 | Report this topic

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

I realize now I forgot to title it and I can't find an Edit button

Reply #320084 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Al Green didn't play for the 36ers until 1985, he was a bearcat before that. Must have been someone else.

I believe the all time highest scoring game by a 36er is only 48pts, tied by Darryl Pearce & Dusty Rychart. No one has been lucky enough to crack 50 since they become the 36ers.

Although Al Green had a lot from the West Adelaide Bearcats days '82-'84

Hope that helps.

Reply #320087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Chris Mellow scored 71 in an ABA game here in SA circa 2002ish and Al Green had something similar.

Reply #320093 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

The 50 reads: West Adelaide Bearcats v. Illawarra Hawks, Feb. 25, 1984, so is as you state. I have others in May 1984 for Green. Would anyone else have scored that much for them at that time?

As for 36er 48pts games, by Darryl Pearce & Dusty Rychart. I can't list them without at least a (definite) year.

This Mellow guy, what team did he play for and which league might it be in? I live in New York and from my lists you might notice how much I cover. I am thus no expert on Australia. I need details. Would you know who Dean Meminger was and which NBA teams he played for, which college he attended, what period he played in? Or Dutch Denhert? Chet Forte? And those are not the obscure American names in the least...

Reply #320094 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

But my listing here must be incorrect, right?
46 pts. Reg Biddings, Adelaide 36ers v. Westate Wildcats, Jul. 2, 1982

I am interested in being as exacting and complete as possible.

Reply #320095 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Here are the top Adelaide scoring games of all time:

48 - Daryl Pearce vs Newcastle 20/2/88
47 - Al Green vs Illawarra 20/7/85
46 - Reg Biddings vs Perth 2/7/82
46 - Mark Davis vs Newcastle 5/6/87
46 - Rob Rose vs Newcastle 22/9/95
46 - Adam Ballinger vs Singapore 15/12/2007
45 - Dan Clausen vs Coburg 7/4/84
45 - Al Green vs Newcastle 6/7/85
45 - Al Green vs Newcastle 31/8/85
44 - 7 times Green (2), Biddings, Phillips, Davis, Rose, Rychart

Reply #320102 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

Ron Nunnerly scored 70 something in a SEABL game for Woodville in the late 80s or early 90s

Reply #320103 | Report this post

Lethal5  
Years ago

Michael, Reg Biddings scored 63 in a 40 minute game for the 36ers back in 1981 or 1982. They may still have been called the City of Adelaide Eagles though.

Also, I reckon Ron Nunnely's score was 80-something!

Reply #320104 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

actually Niunnely scored 85 in his first game of SEABL, he sat the last minute as no one was aware teh league record was 86!

Reply #320106 | Report this post

titan 40  
Years ago

Wasnt his first game.

Was the tail end of the season.

The opponent was bottom and had played Murray Bridge Friday, the Buffaloes saturday. And were down a couple of players.

That said, still a fantastic effort, considering it was mostly jump shots as the other team played a sit in the key Zone.

Reply #320107 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

Nunnerly points were mainly layup but still a might effort

Reply #320110 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

No prizes for guessing right.
It was Al Green who hit 50 points against Illawarra that night.
It was a Saturday double header at Apollo.
The Sixers beat St Kilda (Clausen had 20 plus rebounds)and Westies beat the Hawks.

Hope that helps.

Reply #320111 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Check out his stats on Cam Tragardh in the QBL.

He's had 11 games of 47pts or over.

including a 70pt game, 2x 67pt games, a 55pt game, and 4x 50-51pt games....

impressive.

I notice one you don't yet have, is Darryl Pearce's 50pt or 51pt game for Forestville vs South Adelaide Grand Final in 1990.

Reply #320120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Daniel Johnson have a 70 point game in the SEABL?

Reply #320124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember former NBL import Fred Herzog having a 106 point game in the ACT state league in '94 after being released by the Cannons.

Reply #320127 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

Here is one from last Saturday. Women QBL Division 1
55 Stacey Barr, Altona Lady Gators 70-50 Whittlesea Pacers

Singapore is now an NBL team?

As to Adelaide games listed above. I am confused. 1982 would mean I think I have all the Forrestville Eagles, Adelaide City Eagles, Adelaide 36ers and West Adelaide Bearcats sorted out But why aren't Al Green's higher numbers included in that list above that only goes as high as 48?

I know that Westate became Perth.

Darryl Pierce- 51 or 50??? I need to know

Michael Johnson's two 50 point games: any idea of dates?

I do have all of Cam Tragardh: 70 67 67 55 51 51 50 50 50 48 47

I still don't have much info on this Mellow fellow and his 71, nor about a 48 by Dusty Rychart.

Dwayne McClain's 1992 48 for Sydney also seems lonely....

Why does the Forestville Eagles in the Central ABL have only one s?

The following page commits what I think is a crime on the internet. An archived news story with no date that I can see. This is a common thing. Why news sources don't include dates in archived material is a main beef of mine. Sometimes they do have frames with more recent dates that totally confuse the matter. I think Jye Watson's Central ABL 48 is in here or was that an NBL Jye Watson 48?.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3656-0-0-0&sID=39553

Reply #320129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Singapore Slingers were an NBL team for about 2-3 seasons before pulling out of the league.

Reply #320132 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Actually titan it was his first SEABl game, he first played for Woodville, then the Bridge then Adelaide

Reply #320138 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Seems to remember Pearce scorching South in a Semi?? of the state league against a Davis led South.

I can remember the game so clearly he seemed to make every single shot.

Mind you Daryl had a very very special dislike for South in those days ... probably still does!

Reply #320143 | Report this post

white99  
Years ago

KB3 - I was there the day Nunnelly dropped 85, and it was NOT his first SEABL game. Titan is correct.

Reply #320161 | Report this post

white99  
Years ago

Also, he had 33 at the half that day, so a mighty scoring effort in the second half!

Reply #320162 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

i was pretty close to that team you might say and happy to stand by it was on debut as he joined the Warriors mid season after playing State League for Murray Bridge

Nunnerly in 1990 played 15 games for Woodville in SEABL

2pt attempted 584 made 332 at 57%
3pt attempted 55 made 15 at 27%
22 fouls
49 assists 3.267 pg
1 block
30 steals 2 pg
35 turnovers 2.33 pg

51 offensive rebounds
26 defensive rebounds
made 75 of 90 free throws 83%

754 points in 15 games at 50ppg

Reply #320163 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

also should add that Murray Bridge was not in SEABL that season so Titan may be thinking of another game?

Reply #320164 | Report this post

white99  
Years ago

You might say I was rather close to the action myself (dont know who you are but we must know each other) and we will have to agree to disagree!

In any case, two things are for sure:

1. It was a hell of an effort.

2. The old SEABL days at Athol Park were a lot of fun!

Reply #320167 | Report this post

white99  
Years ago

KB3, I'm going to bow down to your superior memory on this one! It WAS his debut for Woodville, but you are right in saying that it wasn't the beginning of the season. The opponent was Goulburn Valley.

Reply #320173 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

al green 71pts for bearcats

Reply #320175 | Report this post

Avon Barksdale  
Years ago

David Johnson for Bendigo averaged 47 for the season in SEABL over a couple of seasons and had 71 in the grand final against Bulleen. Thats the guy you eed to put in your forum

Reply #320201 | Report this post

Stats Bench  
Years ago

2004 - The same year Deanna Smith went 61 straight made free throws, she also had a triple Double against Southern - 51 points, 27 rebounds, 11 assists.

Unfortunately, my laptop from those days has given out, so I don't have the Boxscore available any longer. (but I'm pretty sure I've sent Doccy a copy!)

Reply #320215 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure DJ had 69 in that granny against Bulleen which was 1988 but i'll double check with my Bendigo mate.

Reply #320230 | Report this post

basketball tragic  
Years ago

hi paul like your work - have you looked up "all american red heads?" they have some interesting womens basketball history stateside.

Reply #320231 | Report this post

D-Lin  
Years ago

Darren Ng scored 57 against norwood while playing for Woodville and then backed it up the next year for 52.
Paul bauer got 52 in a semi final against a north team that had Hawkes, Cattalini, and Fikes. I think it was something like 28 in the 2nd quarter.

Reply #320237 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

I do have this:
ACT State League (Australian Capital Territory) (A Division)
105 pts. Fred Herzog, Western Creek Dodgers v. Minstrels, 1993

Reply #320239 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

•Central Australian Basketball League (C.A.B.L.)
51 pts. Deanna Smith, South Adelaide Panthers (W 123-56) Southern Tigers, May 8, 2004 (16-31 FGs•3-4 3s•16-16 FT•27 reb.•11 a.)
51 pts. Deanna Smith, South Adelaide Panthers v. North, 2003-04 at Hillcrest

71 pts. David Johnson, Bendigo Braves v. Knox Raiders, Jun. 4, 1988
70 pts. David Johnson, Bendigo Braves (W 121-118) Bulleen Boomers, Oct. 9, 1988 Championship Game
62 pts. David Johnson, Bendigo Braves, Aug. 21, 1987
62 pts. David Johnson, Bendigo Braves, May 27, 1988
62 pts. David Johnson, Bendigo Braves, Sep. 11, 1988
62 pts. David Johnson, Bendigo Braves, Sep. 8, 1990

Those are all I have for him

Reply #320240 | Report this post

C.Ruocco  
Years ago

Hi Paul, i'm Costanzo Ruocco from ITaly, i think you remember me. For some reason i cannot send to you a normal mail, i don't know why, the system give me an error. However, i have some stats for you and want to ask you something about some records...
do you have any different mail account?

Reply #323450 | Report this post

P  
Years ago

Reply #858739 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

C. Ruocco

I am at same email address.

Reply #858741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754