K.E.T
Years ago

Ervin close but still considering Euro options

Adelaide continues its wait game on key import target Gary Ervin, with the league MVP still yet to sign an offer the club put to him.

Richard Hill was sure of having the contract, which includes a European out-clause, signed this week but was told in a conference call with Ervin and his agent yesterday said the point guard was still considering his options.

"Gary is very happy with what Adelaide has to offer and he has a strong desire to play in Adelaide if he doesn't get the Euro offer he wants." Hill said.

Topic #25731 | Report this topic

K.E.T  
Years ago

- The Sunday Mail

Reply #320940 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That is good news!

Reply #320942 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Here is the article
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/sixers-to-wait-on-star-ervin/story-e6frecj3-1226077722382

Looks like Corey Williams is still an option

Reply #320946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mustve missed this ages ago, but why is he not also considering other NBL nbl clubs, especially wollongong?

Reply #320949 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

It annoys me that Sixers seem to stuff around getting their team organized and still stuff it up with finished team.
However happy to wait a bit longer about Ervin as dont think Homicide is answer for our team if he is the alternative.
However please help if has a Euro out clause why is he looking at Euro others before he can sign

Reply #320954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What they have offered Ervin they shouldve offered Schenscher. Ervin had a terriffic start to the season, but teams worked out how to guard him in the second half of the season, this is a borderline risk, and yes i know he is the reigning MVP which makes this even more bizare of a statement but i stand by my concern.

Adelaide have no clue how to recruit players, but it is a harder task when no one wants to play for Clarke either!

Reply #320956 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Heaps of players want to play for Clarke. All the AIS players at colleges overseas have s strong relationship with him e.g. Delly, Mitch Young, Greenwood(going to college soon),Drmic, Hadziomerovich.

But NO ONE of experience and worth wants to play for Clarke. i.e. Guys that have been in the league for multiple years

Could be good for the future, when the college players return..Clarke could snap them up.

But I doubt he will be around then anyway..

Reply #320959 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

wollongong can't afford him. Its up to Gordie to produce another stellar PG from his magical bag of MVP-quality imports.

Reply #320961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub, I agree, i was referring to current NBL players, im sure a few up and comers would play for him....the thing to that is, if they are talented enough, money, NOT loyalty to Clarke will win out, and Adelaide couldnt organise a root in a brothel with the way they go about recruiting!

Reply #320964 | Report this post

Nat Where You At  
Years ago

What is he asking for? Aus price wise? Bit guttered that he won't go back to Wollongong...

Reply #320966 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

so Wortho wanting to come here on a multi year deal doesn't count?

Reply #320974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kb3, did he end up playing for the 6ers? End of the day with Clarke there no star players have followed. Probably cant afford to sack him at this stage, but id be paying out year 3 and reload as far as an orgnaization is concerned.

Reply #320983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness then anon you are not in charge

Reply #320987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness then anon you are not in charge

Reply #320988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey probs good im not, but this is exactly what id be doing, this team wont be making the playoffs...again, not enough talent left on the table in ratio to what they needed as soon as the season left.

Reply #320989 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

We can all be critical of other posters and say glad they are not in charge but not to sure that any of us could stuff up recruiting anymore than Clarke and his merry men have done and still doing

Reply #320990 | Report this post

kb3  
Years ago

Are people expecting Clarke to force people to come here? There may be many variables as to why people chose certain teams tonplay for, opportunity,family, money are just some of the factors. It sounds as though Ervin won't commit anywhere until he has exhausted his euro options.

Weigh has chosen to come here away from a championship contending program so there must be something that Marty offers.

Remember too that schensch stuffed the Sixers around two years ago so it is not a one way street when recruiting

Reply #320992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kb3 care to clarify exactly how Schenscher stuffed the 6ers around 2 years ago?

Reply #320993 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

He chose not to resign and wanted to try out in the NBA. Ended up signing with Perth as they were the only team with points free to sign him.

Reply #321015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You classify that as stuffing the 6ers around!? Ignorant to think the world evolves around the NBL.

Reply #321018 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Re the Ervin comment about players working out how to guard Ervin in the second half of the year (when his stats were clearly down, and very good, new imports DO get worked out a little over time) Ervin was injured from about that point onwards.
So he may not have been as "worked out' as you may think.

Reply #321025 | Report this post

E=MC2  
Years ago

Actually, KB3 is right - Schensch had a deal with the 6ers with an NBA out clause, but chose not to take it anyway.... got injured before the summer leauge, and almost cost him any Aus gig. And he screwed us again this year, to bump his t'ville price up.

The problem this year isn't players wanting to play for Marty, it's playes wanting to play for the 8th placed team, with a great deal of unknown quantity (roster change) in it.

Reply #321026 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Also got to ask why Luke is not in the B grade Boomers squad for the games v China

Reply #321030 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Isn't free agency all about seeing what you are worth and trying to bump your price up?

Reply #321039 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sixers say they are going to wait........but for how long? Appears to happen every year and we end up with less options.

Reply #321042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not forget Schenscher wanting to come back to the Sixers before the start of last season and then when Marty Clarke became coach he asked the 36ers to withdraw from negotiations with Schenscher.

Reply #321049 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Then Anon he wasted a lot of time chasing then waiting for him this year .
Good question and point Spinner how long and how many times get it wrong .
We have a reasonable base this year now we are waiting again will we get it wrong again

Reply #321051 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

bretts the man, waiting for who? Who was it that we should be signing, right now, instead of waiting to see whether the best import from last season will accept the 36ers offer?

The season is more than three months off. If we don't have a full roster two weeks before tip-off, then start worrying.

Reply #321052 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Exactly right XY we have 7 players signed, with only 2 imports and a back up big. A lot of imports won't be signed yet as everyone is waiting to see what is happening with the lockout

Reply #321054 | Report this post

kb3  
Years ago

XY how dare you bring a sensible argument to the table

Reply #321058 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I think it reasonable to have a sense of dejavu when this has been the trend the last few years......and how well did that work out?

Look at the letters we used to receive years ago to renew season tickets and compare to what we get now. Can't even give a bit of hope these days. 1st year gone of this great 3 year plan and 3 players signed at the end of last season.

Now we have 7 signed - the 3 plus 1 who missed the whole last season, 1 who missed half of last season, 1 who is on his last legs and 1 who didn't want to stay in Perth. Yeah...we should be patient!

Reply #321061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The roster we currently have wont win a thing, dull role players, and Ballinger as the 'star' is no winner. Adelaide will be small and not to different to last season!

Reply #321068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you forfeit the ability to be objective you forfeit the respect of others.
When you fail to realize you have lost your objectivity you become known among men as a ranting mad man.

Those lost in their own insanity rejoice in the freedom of unabated speech, those who respect their freedom remain silent when the noise of mad men smother sensible thought.

Reply #321073 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

would you stop stealing wollongongs players??

Reply #321077 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Melbourne stole 3 Cairns players in one off-season.

Reply #321083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pwned, dont you worry about a thing, Adelaide arent capable of recruiting a decent player from another team. The Adelaide 36ers used to be a force to be reckoned with. Not anymore.

Reply #321154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the 36ers dont get ervin they are in massive trouble as they are throwing everything at him! And homicide wouldnt fit in with marty so forget him coming to adelaide!

Also heared from a birdy today that dowdell has agreed to cairns and holmes has agreed somewhere... Should find out more... Oh and this is the same anon to break the bose to sydney rumour :)

Reply #321157 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Dowdell to Cairns sounds like something they'd do

Reply #321164 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Holmes would be a good fit in Townsville, I wonder if he is linked to them? Sydney could be another option I suppose if they are looking at an import 4/5.

Reply #321167 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I find it difficult gwtting in touch with the person
I was , when I played.
Clarke - the strict teacher, may be good for Williams
and our team.
7 gone from last season. 4 kept .. ( + Herbert )

Reply #321170 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Its a shame about Dowdell as I think he deserved another shot with us as his form has been excellent in the ABA.

Reply #321171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same Anon about the Jawai signing too?

Reply #321175 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thats interesting.....so who is going to be our back up big??

Reply #321178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard they might be looking at a few cheap ABA level options (Jervis, Harris, Vanderjagt, Sturt, Cameron)

As they are spending all there $$ & cents on Ervin!

Reply #321179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah mate jawai isnt coming to the sixers or baynes.. maybe kickert.. but he is rated as a 9 so he is last resort i am feeling but i think it would be stupid gettin kickert as he is untried in the nbl and he is 2 similar to daniel johnson.. sixers are in trouble like i said if they dont get ervin!

Reply #321180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754