LC
Years ago

NBA cancels 2011 NBA Summerleague

ESPN reports that the NBA is set to announce the cancellation of the 2011 edition of the NBA Summerleague.

ESPN: NBA cancels Las Vegas Summer League

Whilst the NBA is set to state that the cancellation has nothing to do with the labour dispute, one might argue that this is the first step towards a cancellation of the next season due to the current stalemate between the league and the players.

Topic #25734 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

wowsers...

Reply #321023 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

From an article I read recently the owners were the first to give something up (they want non-guranteed contracts) so thing are moving (slowly).

Reply #321024 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

there will be a lockout - the owners are losing money, pretty much all of them!

they would lose less money by locking out rather than go through another season...

They want shorter contracts, hard salary cap and a slightly bigger cut of tv deals etc

Reply #321029 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I agree - the lockout will happen. As to how long it goes is anyone's guess at this stage.

Reply #321032 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

i couldnt think of any other reason than lockout

Reply #321036 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

what does a non-guarenteed contract actually mean?

Reply #321046 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

In simple terms, if a player gets severely injured, a non guaranteed contract would allow the team to cut the player without any obligations to the player financially.
Essentially more money upon singing the contract (signing bonus) is the bargaining chip. I can't see the players allowing this at all, as its clearly not fair. (Check the NFL Players who have non G contracts)

Reply #321047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orlando Summer League, the only other (and smaller) nba summer league is still a chance. Heres hoping it goes ahead. If it does it mind find it becoming a whole lot more in demand after the major event in vegas was cancelled.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/sports/2011/june/265296/NBA-cancels-Vegas-Summer-League-is-Orlando-next

Reply #321048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shame about summer league.
the league will be locked out from june 30.
the season doesnt start until october though so they have some time to get a deal done and NOT miss any games.

Reply #321667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754