Yes we can
Years ago

Club president

Interested to know the thoughts from people of what you think the role of the club president is. Elections are going to be held at this years AGM and I may be interested in putting my hand up due to the fact if a certain person I know is going to apply and is successful then that will be the end of my club.

Topic #25741 | Report this topic

Ushiro  
Years ago

In most Clubs, the President is like the Ringmaster at the Circus - he has to manage the jugglers and the animals but most of all, deal with the clowns.

Seriously, he has to be a leader but also know when to delegate. He is the person who quite often steers the Club in a particular direction but must remember not to see his own short term goals overtake the long term benefit to the Club. He also has to take responsibility and ownership and ensure that those in responsible positions complete the tasks and duties that their positions entail.

On the downside, some people only take on these psitions for the wrong reasons, either personal ego trips or for what they or their family members may get out of it. This is where voted positions in most clubs become a popularity contest and the person most qualified may not be the person elected.

Reply #321168 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Club Presidents need to be seen - to be communicators, to be recognised as leading from the front. Be approachable and open to thougts and ideas -using their position to galavanise members into a united group. Where members feel valued - where there seems to be a plan a direction and that all are welcomed and asked to be contribute.Where the kids of the club are priority and where ABA teams are seen as the pride of the club and for juniors to aspire to.
Need to oversee and ensure duty of care policies are in place and that effective planning is actioned.

Self centred egotisical person need not apply. Y

Reply #321172 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Club Presidents need to be seen - to be communicators, to be recognised as leading from the front. Be approachable and open to thougts and ideas -using their position to galavanise members into a united group. Where members feel valued - where there seems to be a plan a direction and that all are welcomed and asked to be contribute.Where the kids of the club are priority and where ABA teams are seen as the pride of the club and for juniors to aspire to.
Need to oversee and ensure duty of care policies are in place and that effective planning is actioned.

Self centred egotisical person need not apply. Y

Reply #321173 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

You have to have a bit of a ego otherwise you would not be able to provide the direction required.
Just need to never forget why you took on role and whats best for club at all times .

Reply #321176 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A good President delegates to a good team around them.

Some keys functions are obviously the secretary and treasurer, but also need to ensure fundraising, recruitment, junior development, and coach development are key activities.

A clear conflict resolution process is also required. There are always issues and a clear, consistent and fair way on managing issues is paramount.

Reply #321177 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Subjective but suggest a few club presidents would not fair well on 1 to 10 scale

Reply #321187 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Subjective but suggest a few club presidents would not fair well on 1 to 10 scale.

Reply #321190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Club?

Reply #321191 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

How much support do you believe you have amongst the club members and are there members within your support base that are willing to involve themselves in the committee to achieve your shared visions?

You'll need the numbers on the committe otherwise you may not get the support you need to implement change. Even worse you may end up being a mouth piece for the interests of others and turned into a human shield if the provorbial starts flying.

It would be wise not to take up this role on impulse.

Reply #321195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vote DDFan.

Reply #321198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be a Leader not a Manager

Reply #321204 | Report this post

Money man  
Years ago

Interesting, wonder if this has something to do with a southern club up a hill that has allegedly got a person, that's not too popular amongst the tiger cubs, already campaigning and canvassing support

Reply #321212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it the existing President canvassing support for re-election or someone new altogether?

Reply #321215 | Report this post

Money man  
Years ago

Someone on the committee allegedly

Reply #321218 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Nothing like a good old election to create interest. He who has greatest support wins - is my view.

Reply #321235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kids won't be playing there if the person I think is going to run gets it

Reply #321239 | Report this post

Lauren Jackson  
Years ago

Yeah
I'm unfortunately privy to the inside goss and the current one and the one who wants to do it both want to do it for the wrong reasons {for their own kids} not for all the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its almost like coaching appointments down there, look after yourself first {your kids or Egos} then put people into spaces available, not necessarily the right person for the kids

Reply #321260 | Report this post

Lauren Jackson  
Years ago

P.S.
Lets suspend every kid in the team for showing some heart and then my kid might get some court time, who cares if he turns the ball over all the time and costs us games, i taught him everything he knows {nothing} which is a shame as he does have potential, but hasn't had consistant good coaching

Reply #321261 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Come on give us a name ...... of who wants to take over this rabble .

Reply #321280 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

U

Reply #321290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Smith

Reply #321291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Presidents Job Description

Spend 4 to 5 hours on week on basketball matters, take phone calls at all hours of the day, only deal with parents that have a complaint, never discuss your own kids court time or game with a coach as everyone immediately sees that as using undue influence, talk to every coach who did not get the team they wanted, be on call, end up avoiding the stadium as every time you go there you get accosted with whinging parents before you can even sit down to watch your own kid play.

All this for the love of it.

Seriously!

Reply #321292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah junior president going for the big job, he should just stick to being a parent, crap coach, crap JP will be terrible if he was king almighty

Reply #321298 | Report this post

Not Me Again!  
Years ago

Anon 292,

Only issue I have with your job descirption is number of hours involved

It seems I spent more than that just on the Phone, most weeks!

Also, try like 30-40 emails per day, as well.

No wonder a lot of Ex-Presidents don't stay involved in their Clubs too much after their 'run' has finished.

Reply #321320 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

also add if you try to communicate you are not discreet enough, if you are discreet on a sensitive issue you do not communicate enough, there are members of your club who will believe they have the right to know every decision you make even the times you go to the toilet and even then in their eyes you will be in the wrong.

rarely will you be told you and your committee are doing a good job, but woe be told if some minor issue escapes your attention.

if you attend junior finals you will be told you are riding on the coat tails of others success but if you do not attend, then clearly you do not care enough.

Who in their right mind would actually wish to be president? Especially in this day, with forum's twitter, facebook and the like.

Reply #321325 | Report this post

had enough  
Years ago

Be like a president who does nothing
cant take the heat step aside
so many experts - who got no idea
leave leave leave and close the door on the way out

Reply #321328 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

'had enough' you sound like you are part of the problem not part of the solution, until you have been president how do you know what it entails or are you and your ilk just happy to drag a club down for your own personal glory or agenda?

Reply #321334 | Report this post

had enough  
Years ago

freddles so you are an expert are you ?
Been president of anything ?
i not part of the problem
i got no personal agenda but as soon as change is mentioned its all to do with personal agenda
how about for the good of the majority

Reply #321337 | Report this post

sad case  
Years ago

Security smith is the man i believe is in question at tiger land.

dont rate the bloke and dont rate the job he is doing at the moment

big problems with the team his sons in and puts his nose in everywhere else. (where it is not required or wanted)

i reckon if he gets the gig south will become a hell of a lot stronger very quick!

Reply #321359 | Report this post

had enough  
Years ago

nothing like airing dirt laundry in public and you think no other club has any internal problems
how is this helping
maybe security smith or whoever you refering to / about might just be prepared to challenged tired worn ways and inject new blood life
we all know how much basketball in this town needs new energy -
your view might be biased
bring on the AGM

Reply #321360 | Report this post

whatever  
Years ago

As a senior player of the club the bloke with the purse strings is a quiet achiever. He tough with the cash but has got the club on track. Give him a crack

Reply #321679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah be just as bad, need a clean out with fresh blood

Reply #321694 | Report this post

concerned  
Years ago

Who do you suggest the president to be? As you have such an opinion please make your suggestion or shut up.

Reply #321701 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Settle down.

Just recommending who they don't want!! Both spot on!

Reply #321712 | Report this post

Bring It On!  
Years ago

The trouble with people is that they are very quick to give advice, but pathetically weak as they wont put their hand up to help around the club to help the other hardworking volunteers out.

The Club is a strong one and is always looking to improve in any way it can.

Its always just a handful of people with nothing better to do than whinge and complain that tends to put a dampener on the real positives.

Reply #321715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be nothing positive happening if security smith becomes president

Reply #321771 | Report this post

What has Club achieved with current President/Treasurer?

Have new facilities, including a fantastic viewing area and show court made possible because of a good working relationship with BSA and substantial financial contribution, highest playing numbers since merger 7 years ago, new uniforms, highest level of sponsorship in past 10 years, new ABA program sponsor, employment of a full time Basketball Operations Manager, Under 14 Boys qualified for Nationals 3 of the last 4 years and were the best performing team from SA.

And all your interested in is your little Johnies court time and that the Presdient did not seem interested in your whinge.

I think the Committee sleeps well at night knowing what they have achieved.

Reply #321816 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

Moses G for the big "P"

Reply #321899 | Report this post

Hutchy  
Years ago

Me thinks thats not a bad CV - tell you other clubs love to have that resume on their Presidents file.
In fact can any club match or better that list over the last lets say 3 - 4 years.
Well done 816 on bringing some facts to the table.
FACELESS STIRRERS

Reply #321973 | Report this post

Ariel 53  
Years ago

Hutchy,

Might want to look at Sturt.

Reply #321988 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

and forestville

Reply #321999 | Report this post

Hutchy  
Years ago

Strong and stable would agree but then others clubs are certainly dragging the chain.
Is it lack of direction that Marion, North St Clair venues as basketball facilities reflect clubs lack of vision by presidents or are other factors beyond control of these hard working - yes hard working - individuals who need support base all pulling same direction.This includes from BSA level to grass root members and wider community.

Reply #322000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is ludicrous to say that the facilities leased by a club is a reflection of their President and Management Group.

Perhaps if BSA didn't hold the hands of those down here in the Southern outreaches of Adelaide then the shiney new courts would not exist and wouldn't camouflage many other issues.

Reply #322004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutchy are you trying to tell us that Tigers paid for the redevelopment at Morphett Vale? Please!!

Reply #322005 | Report this post

Hutchy  
Years ago

Tigers have implemented this and thats a decision from the top - give them cedit for getting on front paw.

Reply #322042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm Hutchy - a decision or an ultimatum given to them!!

Reply #322125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Implemented what hutchy??

Reply #322147 | Report this post

Without the Clubs financial contribution and input into the design of the viewing area, bar and canteen this area would be vastly different.

Its a fact.

Credit where credit is due.

Reply #322162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any monkey could have designed that area, the canteen area is too small, has the deep fry and coffe machine just crammed into the corner (don't get me started on the service) the area smells of cooking oil and even worse when they decide to cook the BBQ in the area too!!

If you actually get in the wrong spot you can't even see the whole of the show court, can't see the scoreboard!!

Go there Sunday morning and there is a line up of people crushed in the office.

The problem is the design was probably Better in the first place but the interfering few probably made it worse, this happens in regards to a fair few things and this is what people are annoyed about

Reply #322168 | Report this post

anon 168

You have no idea.

Put your hand up and go on the committee if you think you know best but until you have the guts to do this those on the Committee will continue to interfere

Reply #322224 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754