Observer
Years ago

Get Luke Nevill

I read on NBL website that luke Nevill is not returning to Russia for a second stint,Sixers lack a big man-Luke Neville could be a bonus signing to add scoring and rebounding we have lacked in last two years...your views

Topic #25756 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would be perfect if he wants to return to the nbl.

Reply #321367 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

He would be huge to add to our team and if cost was a factor would drop a import for

Reply #321371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, you'd drop an import for a slow 7f2 centre who was a complete defensive liability in his rookie season when you already have a 6f11 centre? I have to disagree with that thought.

Reply #321373 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

nevil + ervin/ import pg would be good, but unlikely. i think nevil will benefit from being in a system where he is the main centre, not sharing major minutes with the dj at the 36ers

Reply #321374 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think it would be worth offering the role/dollars (id probably offer slightly less $$$) that we offered Schenscher and see what happens, would be a good pick up if we can get him, but wouldnt offer too much $$.

Reply #321376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon it was his rookie yr and he still out muscled most centres on the offensive end. yes d does need some work bout gives us another dimension. Plays totally different to DJ. DJ can split mins at centre and pf.

Reply #321377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a decent player I agree, but no superstar and I just dont see the point of having two centres who can be exploited by quicker players.

Reply #321382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not returning or not ask back ?

Reply #321392 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Tigers started winning games when they made him the main interior option. At NBL he is legit.

Reply #321399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke can be a beast if someone gives him the chnace, puts him in a good system for a big guy...i mean look at sydney all they did was bang it into jules last year and that got moose robilliard another year as coach lol
but yer put nevill in a system with plays that suit him and put shooters around him and a play maker like ervin and u r in business my friends

Reply #321404 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whether you like the guy or not, he is a legit 7'2" big man who can score despite being a 'stiff'. He is tough to guard on the offensive end when he has shooters around him. By all accounts he is trying to work hard on his defence which is clearly his weakness, particulary in guarding smaller and more mobile C's in the NBL.

Reply #321424 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

SixerFan, correct me if my memory is correct, but didn't Melbourne start playing better last year after Nevill left?

Reply #321435 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would argue they started playing better when D-Mac took over as coach myself...

Reply #321437 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I reckon he ranks as one of the better centres in our league at the moment. But I thought we were trying to develop DJ?

Reply #321441 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is effective when he has the ball in the post or when he is allowed to stand under his defensive basket and rebound. He is very ineffective at pretty much all other times. Worst of all, for a guy his size he isnt particularly good at fighting for position.

Same thing in the NBL and Russia, he could put up numbers when he was on the floor but his coaches didnt play him. There is more to the game than numbers and I think Luke has a long way to go to become a good professional.

He undoubtedly has talent though and you would imagine he will fix his attitude etc at some point a become a pretty good player.

Reply #321462 | Report this post

Oldcat  
Years ago

Terrible idea Neville. Shocking defender who clogs up the middle on "O" and soft on the boards. Next...

Reply #321489 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Oldcat is spot on.

Reply #321627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a lot of love for Nevill, I wonder if that will change after the first Youyi game were he was outstanding for the Golden Star Boomers with 20 points and 13 rebounds, of which nine were at the offensive end.

Reply #321708 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I definitely wouldn't have a problem with going with a 3 tall attack of Nevill, Ballinger and Johnson.
Thought he was clearly the best of the 4 centres at Melbourne last season.
Get a cheap sf/pf playing in the local leagues as the other import if we feel it necessary.
He was 5th in the league in rebounding. (4th if you don't count Petrie's 3 games). 3rd in blocks too.
He shot at 60% but only averaged 12 points, so obviously the overload of big men affected his amount of touches.
Nevill took some strong offensive rebounds on Friday and had 4 blocks. Missed a few layups, but had some nice post moves and was our best offensive threat. Clearly top scored and could easily have scored more.
Wouldn't say Johnson has earnt his starting spot yet. He was good when Ballinger was out at the end of the season, but for the majority, he wasn't a go to guy. Probably hasn't earnt much more than 20 mpg yet, so 30 for Ballinger and Nevill would be possible.
Don't really see the need for a 4th big this year. Clarke seems to like to give all 10 players 20 minutes each, so having 3 legitimate bigs would probably be a better setup than having Mottram/Sturt etc taking good minutes.

Reply #321719 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754